EC
Years ago

Anstey's comments re State of Origin Game

In today's paper there is an article with comments made by Chris Anstey regarding the State of Origin Game to be held on Sunday. If ever I have met a jerk, he would be right up there with them and its no wonder that he rubs people the wrong way.

"VICTORIAN captain Chris Anstey says the NBL State-of-Origin concept would guarantee a sell-out if it was being played in Melbourne instead of at the Distinctive Homes Dome on Sunday."

This comes from someone who plays out a venue that only sees around 2,000 people attending. If this event was held at the Cage, I wouldn't doubt that it would be a sellout. It doesn't take much to fill a 3,000 capacity stadium.

"Melbourne is the world's sporting capital as we saw last weekend with the basketball grand final".

Yeah, they got a crowd of 8,000 to a grand final where both teams were from the same city. 8,000 made up of fans of both teams to a grand final game. Well Anstey, get your mouth out of your ass and look at Adelaide who got 8,500 to Brett Maher's last home game. These were people made up of nearly all Adelaide fans.

"The Adelaide crowd is the most knowledgable in the country which works out well because they always understand why their team has lost."

Well I wonder if he is knowledgable enough to understand why his team lost the grand final?

Topic #19377 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC I hope you'll apologise to Anstey when 1,000 people show up to the game in Adelaide.

Reply #229508 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

when is this game?

Reply #229509 | Report this post

mr black  
Years ago

The truth hurts EC

Reply #229510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is clearly just saying these things in order to promote the game....any person with half a brain would be able to see this!
EC...u are not a smart person!!!

Reply #229511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's saying those things to get some interest in the game EC. It's pathetic to have a go at him when he and other players are giving up their time for a good cause. It's pretty obvious he said what he did to help boost ticket numbers.

Reply #229512 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah clearly he's just stirring.

Reply #229516 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yeah like he is just stirring when he lifts his elbows out. He is one of the dirtiest players in the league who copped so much flack during the grand final series and yet you think he is on a good thing here by promoting the game and giving up his time. I am promoting the game more than he is simply by buying a ticket and going.

Reply #229519 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Pretty stupid weekend to have the game isnt it, i mean Clipsal is on, I would normally go but ive had my clipsal tickets booked for months. Well done to the NBL once again for absolute moronic planning.

As to Ansteys commens on Melbourne been the sporting capital of the world perhaps we should take him to the race this weekend and put him infront of the starting line so they can run the idiot over, cause you know Melbourne would host one of the most successful racing events in the world wouldnt it...Oh wait we do!
Sydney averages more spectators to all sporting events...and Melbournes the only city in the world to seriously butcher a F1 race.

Reply #229520 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Skud it wasnt the NBL it was our fearless ex-leader Voldemort and his assistant who is organising the event. The only thing he has managed in recent times was the demise of the 36ers in his final years.

Reply #229521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do those figures re sydney attendances come from? I find it hard to believe that they would average more than Melbourne across all sports, particularly with AFL attendances. They can't even seem to get 1 bball team in Sydney whereas the 2 melbourne clubs look pretty strong.

Reply #229522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IS IT ON FOX?

Reply #229523 | Report this post

bulls4eva  
Years ago

haha EC you fool, talk about taking the bait hook line and sinker - anstey is being a good sport and doing his bit to drum up some interest in the game

Reply #229527 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Its on on Sunday. Tip off 5:30.
Come and support Brett Wheeler

Reply #229530 | Report this post

Years ago

EC, you really are a complete and utter idiot.
Seriously, any half wit knows this is just a piss take to stir up interest in the game.
And yes, your really promoting the game more than Anstey is!!!!

Reply #229532 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Like I said, he rubs people the wrong way so perhaps I may have been more tolerant if it came from some one else. Then again, I doubt those words would have come from anyone else unless they were just as dirty. He could have commented about the game to generate interest by saying things like what a great idea to have this game and what a worthy cause it is for. He could have mentioned the time and effort that he and fellow participants are putting into this game. He didn't have to have a cheap shot at Adelaide by comparing it to Melbourne's sporting greatness. If people think his intention was good, his deliverance was poor.

Reply #229534 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If those comments drag an extra 500 people thru the door it would be great.

It's quite clear Boti has asked him for some comments to help the event get a decent crowd

Reply #229535 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

EC,

Think about the idea behind the game, yes it is for an EXTREMELY good cause in Brett Wheeler, but the game is also a State of Origin game, so of course Anstey is going to pump up Victoria. It's comments like that, that is the basis for the whole SA vs VIC thing.

Reply #229547 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

quick questions, you can get tickets at the door on the day i assume?

Reply #229549 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Yes, you can get tickets at the door '
That was Brett Maher on fiveaa radio, just then.

Reply #229553 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

He spoke about this game. ( gotta get anstey back for hitting him) etc
Also mentioned, part of his contract with the sixers is to still be involved with game nights.
(I can't remember if that's 1 or 2 more seasons, think he said 2 more.) As well as the july and january coaching clinics.

Reply #229556 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

thanks for the help, good that Brett is still involved as we need a public face and he is known by everyone in SA even casual fans or non fans know who he is.

Reply #229559 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think Anstey just reeled in a red and white snapper in EC

Reply #229560 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Hey Bluey you idiot when would they hold the game next week the AFL starts all the players start taking holidays If you think you could do better why dont you get off your arse and do something to help Wheeler.We won one more game than last season so is that his fault as well.

Reply #229561 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Joker we won one more game then last season in a more stronger competition.

Reply #229564 | Report this post

nifty  
Years ago

Your kidding King James get back to me with stats that prove that.

Reply #229565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are no stats that "prove that" - likely just a consensus from coaches and players.

NZ were a better team than last year. Perth too. Dragons, obviously. Melbourne as well. Townsville improved. Wollongong did as well. And Adelaide. That a majority of teams with better rosters and Cairns/Sydney were obviously impacted by their financial situations, and Gold Coast were the ones that really fell.

---

EC, Anstey's just trying to fire up the SA-Vic rivalry to help ticket sales. I'm sure Boti or Phil asked him for comments that would help achieve that - can't see the big deal. I noticed someone else took it the wrong way over on Boti's original article as well.

Reply #229603 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

After watching the game, what rivalry are we talking about? I went to see a comedy act that made me laugh hysterically. In fact it was so good to see the lighter side of basketball without the dirtiness that can some times spoil the game.

Reply #229645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754