BMF
Years ago

Fallout from High Stakes Hoops

What has been the general word to come out of the HSH?
What has been the consensus from admin, players, coaches, owners?
Crowd figures?
TV numbers?

Is everyone happy enough for it to happen again?
Would it happen in Adelaide again with what looked like some small crowd numbers...

Topic #22834 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will happen in Adelaide again later down the track, but not next year. not because of the small crowd, just because it was designed to be held at different city yearly.

Reply #275212 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Ahh OK, sounds good.

I loved the concept and in all honesty can see it taking off globally..

I guess similar to what the And1 tour has been like, but with out the "Ohh Baby!" every 3 seconds....:)

Reply #275214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have heard from someone high up in the organisation side it will be in Adelaide annually.

Reply #275215 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I hope so, was not on side with it to start with but i really warmed to it. With a few key changes it could build a nice following.

Reply #275217 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

It was designed to be in Adelaide because that's where Eddy owns a stadium. It will be there as a first choice, not to mention Adelaide is fairly central.

Reply #275218 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I would think they would like the crowds to be bigger tho...which i think will happen..

did the HSH break even on this?

Reply #275219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti wrote a couple of weeks ago it will be back again next year in Adelaide but more than likely will be staged in May allowing easier access to european and college players.

Reply #275223 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Mor publicity. I had no idea when i could catch games & still don't fully understand the 4 point rule.

Reply #275227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe have games at night or over a weekend as most people work on week days so it makes it hard to get to the games

Reply #275231 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bring it to Perth babyy!
Would love to have it in Perth so I had the ability to go watch the games :(

Reply #275244 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Its a good recruiting show for the NBL coaches, I'd like to see more usa college players over here that have the potential to become NBL players.

Reply #275245 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

HSH would've broken even. It will be done agen next year and on OneHD. (Groves made the venue available here). Early April ( NBL free-agency period) I think

Reply #275246 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah I think the TV deal would have gotten HSH a buck or two...business decision so would it have been a tax write off as a failed venture if it didn't make money?

I agree with the timing, it helps out NBL teams that's for sure, recruiting is made semi easy....but it needs to get college boys too..

Love to see it stay in Adelaide, and I guess if they didn't have to pay too much for the powerhouse then all the better for the venue..

Reply #275248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Adelaide for at least the next 2 years

Reply #275252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One HD are replaying the final of the High Stakes Hoops tournament (Rays vs Coasters) at 1:30am this Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Reply #275253 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

orbit - 4 point rule. When the team asks for their "game breaker," a 3 minute clock starts during which all three pointers count as four. Simple.

Reply #275256 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Not during work hours please!

Reply #275261 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Yeah if it were held over the Easter weekend or even as some say at nights it would potentially bring more people to the games. Any long weekend would be better to be honest!

Reply #275269 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

I think they could create more interest in having the teams linked to regions;

SA Fleet
VIC Rush
QLD Reef
WA Rays
TAS Coasters
NSW Pythons
NT Cyclones
ACT Monarchs

This will give people a reason to follow a certain team, both here and interstate.

I'd like to see the game-breaker every quarter and 3 points for a dunk. Incentives for viewers to win prizes, game balls, etc.

Reply #275275 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

I totally agree with Sam, especially like the region team idea.

Also think 3 points for a dunk could be very exciting.

All up I loved the tournament, business hours sucked but with One's AFL commitments on weekends I dont think a time shift will happen.

Reply #275282 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Play it in Tassy or Darwin IMO

Reply #275283 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Really enjoyed it and really appreciated the can-do attitude that made it a reality. Definitely a good idea that needs to be refined and built up with more publicity.

I hope it does stay in Adelaide, but I don't know that it is guaranteed, since you'd think Groves will almost certainly be forced to hand over the Dome to the bank or sell it before the next HSH. A change of ownership might not make the Dome quite so financially attractive to the HSH group.

Obviously would be good to have the games on in the evenings if you want to get more people there, but I think it will be entirely dependent on what ONE wants. Perhaps they could ensure one game per day is on late enough for people to get to after work.

As Sam has said, you need to help people identify with a team, so probably go with the State connection.

I'd be up for 3 point dunks too. Would certainly encourage players to go for the spectacular play, make teams more likely to recruit guys who can throw it down and sharpen the double edged sword thrown up by the 4 point game breakers.

Would be good to run another 3 point comp and dunk comp as well alongside the games.

I've said this before, but in the long run, I'd love to see this made an international tournament. Bring 4 teams from Asian leagues over to compete with the Aussie teams. Taps into the Asian sponsorship dollars and adds to the excitement for local fans, seeing their team go up against the best of China, the Phillipines, etc. Could either stick with the current HSH franchises, or eventually make it NBL sides, with say the top 4 qualifying for the tournament each year.

Reply #275286 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

A few things to consider in hindsight.

1: Venue - the BMC is a Basketball stadium first and therefore ready to play at all times with minimum set up. As such it is usually available for an extended block of time. The fact that Eddie Groves owns the BMC and is looking for $$$ also makes it available. To hold the event anywhere else would not have the same advantages.

2: Time of week and days - the HSH was a made for TV event, therefore OneHD would determine when it was held to suit their broadcasting. They would be paying the major bills so they call the shots.

3: Spectators - poor promotion and high admission fees may have led to low spectator numbers. I am sure that this will be reviewed for the next event. However, it was a made for TV event so perhaps $$$ from spectators were only a bonus. Add to that additional paid staff required to cater for them, ie tickets, concession stands, security,etc would mean that a much larger crowd would be required to make it worthwhile. Perhaps it was a deliberate measure to have poor spectator promotion and high admission to keep onsite costs down. Although it was fun playing spot the spectator or NBL coach in the sparse crowd, it was the games I was watching.

4: Team names - the basic idea is a take off of the IPL twenty twenty concept with business and celebrity owners. As they are paying the licence fee, it would be up to them to stroke their egos by selecting the best players possible. Therefore to have state based names may be good in some ways but it is the players that people are more likely to follow. The Brett Maher team with a number of SA players was the adopted team by locals, but if they were named the Perth Fleet, I dont think it would have made any difference. It would be very hard to restrict players on a state of origin basis without compromising the team makeups. There is also the issue of someone being the NT Cyclones but owned by a Melbourne identity. There may also be issues with copyright on names so that can be a problem as well.

Reply #275287 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Why not sell team naming rights to Corporations (eg 'AGL Power' 'CBA Investors' 'Tripplezero Bloggers' etc. May be a cheap way of getting them to focus their sponsorship dollars on basketball and may lead to more lucrative sponsers for NBL teams.

Another suggestions is that during the "game breaker" period any shooting foul is two shots plus pocession (like tech foul). If this was couple with a 3 point dunk rule might lead to some exciting action in the keyway.

Reply #275289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam has a great idea. I felt that the issue was that the crowds were not really aligned to a team.

I would also suggest some way of encouraging punters to gamble on the games. Horse racing is a crap sport that is only popular because people want to win money.

Basketball IS a great sport but even better when there is money involved ;)

Reply #275300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754