Big Ads
Years ago

New Sixers Import - Ron Howard

Arrives on Saturday and is a 196 cm scoring guard. Will play against Townsville

Topic #24540 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

Its High Noon on Hoops - We'll leave you to do what you need to do Isaac. Sixers pulled the trigger first

Reply #300030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

By the time I had posted, three others had already beaten me, and then two more straight after (new topics don't always appear straight away).

(Anon wins the shoot-out, but kept Big Ads topic because he wasn't posting anon.)

Reply #300032 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Google around "ron howard basketball" and you'll find a couple of videos and interviews. Seems like a good guy, keen to slash to the basket. Should have a few trainings under his belt by the time he suits up for his NBL debut.

Reply #300033 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Hey my post was better than this one had more info!! and only 2 seconds behind LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbvEcZhD8w&feature=fvsr

I think this might be the guy, NY Nicks training camp but didnt get draughted?? maybe im just wrong lol

Reply #300034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac - if I put my name to posts I could get in trouble with management :)

Reply #300035 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

I will call him Richie Cunningham.....

Reply #300037 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

his stats from last season in the d-league of 20pts, 3 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 46 FG%, 39 3P% look good to me. If he can come close to those for the 36ers most people would be very happy!

From vids he seams athletic and a good all round player, should add some excitement to the team also.

Cant wait to see him in action!

Reply #300039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OH Happy days for the sixers.

Reply #300040 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Looks like he could bring some attitude to the team! Would combo well with Shannon!!

Reply #300042 | Report this post

Yep  
Years ago

How do you think he will bring attitude?
From what I can see in the highlights I have my doubt he will be good?

Looks ordinary

Sorry to be pessimistic

Reply #300043 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Correct me if im wrong but.. nothing impressive from what i can see

Reply #300045 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Would have to agree with Kobe there. Nothing overly standout from what I can see.

Should be a good injection into the side; but will hold my breath as with Shannon to see how things go.

Reply #300048 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

we should have got the fonz

Reply #300049 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Mrs C was 'hot', but probably in a retirement village with a frame now

Reply #300051 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Looks like a good guy, you cant really get much from the footage though, like to get to the hoop. Would be nice to see his outside shot etc but i guess we will find out in due course.

Reply #300052 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Very nice D-League numbers. Looks a great fit.

He only developed a jumper last year by the looks of it. He went from 0% threes to 1.4 a game at 38.5% in 09/10.

Reply #300063 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I hope Happy Daze can shoot outside of 3 feet! The you tube clip posted above just shows the guy making layups (admittedly some decent ones in there).

At least his D league stats suggest he has been working on his 3 point shot. First 2 D league seasons he had an awful 3pt% but last season took a lot more and ratcheted it up to 38%

Also appears to get to the line a fair bit. Hopefully he's more Willie Farley than Cortez Groves.

Reply #300065 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Thats Channing Frye stuff....

Reply #300066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Boti, including the info on the delay:

Some minor passport complications with his new three-week-old baby caused a slight delay for Howard, a one-time NBA D-League star at Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

"He's a two-three (off-guard/small forward) wingman who we've kept an eye on for quite a while," 36ers coach Marty Clarke said.

After he recently returned to the US from Israel where he had been playing - most likely for the birth - he suddenly became available.

Howard averaged 16.3 points at 49 per cent, 3.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists in three years with Fort Wayne in the D-League but his numbers in his All-Star 2009-10 season were 20.6 points at 46 per cent, 4.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists.

Reply #300068 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Oh Happy Days alright. The coincidence expands further.

They both played basketball in Milwaukee. Ron Howard, a.k.a Richie Cunningham, played for his high school team on the television show "Happy Days." The other Ron Howard played for Marquette University before transferring to Valparaiso.

From Probasketball News.

Reply #300071 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

anyone know if Howard was the sixers first preference? or did we have to resort to the second?

Reply #300077 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Guy looks good. Put up 20 ppg last season, tried out with Bucks, where he was apparently the last guy cut, and the Knicks, and has professional experience in some other leagues.

Love Troy, but can't see him putting up 20 ppg in the D-league, even at full fitness. Big upgrade in my mind.

Reply #300081 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

exactly thats better d-league stats than most nbl imports put up!

Reply #300084 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Wasn't his older brother the bball superstar? He went upstairs one season and never returned.

But...

...EEEHHHH!!!

Reply #300085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

listed at 6 ft 5 ... looks a hell of a lot shorter in the videos.. but maybe they are deceptive

Reply #300086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #300090 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

LOL
Didnt Richie win a game once with a under arm free throw?

Its about time we got some luck with our imports!
Hope that he gels with the team and they can get on a winning streak.

Reply #300091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can count on our new import from the foul line then!

Reply #300094 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anonymous queries his height - looks shorter than 6-5? Based on the Winston Crite and Trey Gilder experiments of recent times, he'll step off the plane in Adelaide standing 6-1 in high heels and weighing 60kg.

Gilder worries me. That debut game was ..... shall we say not inspiring?

Reply #300096 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

more proof that fringe NBA players arent thegame changers they used to be in the NBL.

Reply #300106 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I notice that he played his freshman year at Marquette in 2002 alongside fellow rookie Dwayne Wade. Not a bad team mate to have....

Reply #300108 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

does anyone know his numbers from Israel? I was wondering, depending on how it all works and what league he was in over there, would it be reasonable to compare his numbers in Israel to the numbers that Balls put up when he was in Israel to provide a reasonable comparison?? or just a waste of time?

Reply #300110 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From what I could find, he only played 3 games in Israel. Average 20 mins a game and about 8 points.

Reply #300113 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldn't take too much from D League numbers - Winder average 20ppg in the last 20 games of last year, and McCullough averaged 19ppg. Gilder was an NBA D All Star.

Howard played three games in Israel this year for 9ppg at 36% 3pfg, 4rpg in 20mins. You cant tell much from that short a stint but it is reasonable production straight off the bat in a league that is a similar standard and not a completely different style to the NBL. I imagine if he did 14ppg and 6rpg in 30mins the Sixers would be happy.

Only time will tell, but numbers aren’t the only thing - if he can defend, hit open shots and make decent decisions it will be a good get for the Sixers.

Reply #300114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can just tell the guy can play. BBall swagger.

Reply #300116 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Yeh thats true Paul, and definitely not a big enough run to pull anything from such little game time. I guess thats when his kid was born and so returned to the US. seems like they wanted to move to a safer english speaking country? cant say much about the safeness as ive never been to Israel and im sure the news only shows the worst of the worst.

Maybe they watched Oprah and heard that they have to see Australia?

Reply #300117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moses, I think he'd be 6'4".

Bean, if that video was just made threes, it's easy to think "Anyone can boast a video of made threes if they had enough game tape to work with." There was a long-range shot in another video, but I think we'll have to work off the stats.

X, only started shooting the three last year?

2003-2004: Valparaiso (NCAA): 3PT: 23.5%
2004-2005: Valparaiso (NCAA, starting five): 3PT: 41.6%
2005-2006: Valparaiso (NCAA, starting five): 3PT: 35.8%
Seems to prefer to take it inside though.

Reply #300119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defense is almost non existent in the D-league so wouldn't look too much into ppg.

Reply #300121 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I was just going on his D-League numbers Isaac, but that's interesting. Do you have the quantity of threes or just the %?

Reply #300129 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

Guys if you search you tube and look up mad ants ther is a few games of howards there. has a good jumpshot loves to drive to the rack looks the goods to me time will tell though.

Reply #300136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Google around - full details and game log from his college days are out there.

36ers were originally interested in Howard but couldn't afford him until now. Bogut also thought Howard was a solid last cut from the Bucks.

From Boti today.

"The difference in recruiting in May, June and July is everyone is on the market and everyone is chasing big, big dollars," Clarke said.

"It's more realistic at this time of year and what's promised in Europe doesn't always come through.

"Australia is fairly stable by comparision."
Full story

Reply #300137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes I worry about these threads and what happens if our imports read them.

I think people here would find something wrong if our import was Dwyane Wade etc.

Let's be positive for once, give both imports a chance and see what happens. The only stat that matters is team W-L. If both get no points and we start winning then so what!!

Reply #300139 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Link to YouTube search for "mad ants" for those interested in finding more video of Howard's playing style: mad ants on YouTube.

Reply #300140 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The people.. you want, May Jun Jul like Shannon, Howard (and as also mentioned by Kings owner on Overtime last nite) are chasing big bucks.. now, available.

Reply #300143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is very cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3yICqskl5A&feature=related

Reply #300145 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

wow, if that is him he will be a force in the NBL anon.

Reply #300147 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, not sure if you're joking or just posting somewhere unrelated, but that's Dwight Howard. That particular Howard gets US$16m+/year and is not coming to the 36ers...

Reply #300152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's just hope he doesnt produce a Cocoon....but then he COULD bring Tawny Welch with him (Raquel's daughter for our older contestants playing at home).

Reply #300176 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Bogut gives him good mention in Boti's latest article on adelaide now.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/sixer-in-no-dilemma-over-howard-after-bogut-endorsement/story-e6frect3-1225971980219

Reply #300181 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bogut tweets about Ron Howard:

great great signing. He can score. Ask him about me, please look after him!

Reply #300207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're relying on the opinions of Andrew Bogut now?

I wouldn't ask Bogut for his opinion on the weather.

Reply #300222 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Saw this article on the same page as the LeBron House one...I wonder how well he knows Hulk??? ;)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1338899/Hulk-Hogan-walks-aisle-weds-young-girlfriend.html

Reply #300223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ah, the Sydney hater is back again spreading Christmas joy!

Bogut is just another perspective. Who's relying on his opinion? Just provides an angle for Boti's story and gets some interest amongst fans.

Reply #300226 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Anon (#300207): Sixers hardly 'relying' on Bogut's view, but it would carry some weight. Why wouldn't it? Bogut would have seen Howard up close at Bucks; and certainly seen more of him in person than most on here.

PS RH's wife has an awesome first name. Pass it on.

Reply #300227 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

PPS Wrong post number IDed: should have been 222.

#dumbarse

Reply #300228 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

To quote Bogut from Isaac's post - "ask him about me"

Is the bigman serious? How awkward would it be approching Howard and saying I ma here to ask about the Bogeyman

Reply #300232 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

You know... a few months ago when a user confidently predicted that Winder wouldn't cut it in the NBL and would get fired based on his stats (perhaps not exactly in such polite terms), said user was burnt at the eStake up in this hizzle.

Just sayin'.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread:

These happy days are yours and mine, happy days.

Reply #300233 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Jake, i thought it was a bit weird to. but who knows, him and Bogut might have had some laughs and been mates so there could be a bit of joke there or something which is why he said what he did. otherwise its very weird and random but i doubt thats the case.

Reply #300238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Likely just an in-joke or story. Nothing to get excited about.

Reply #300239 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Have positive thoughts about this guy and if can put up some consistent points and get into some real team work and can provide some real D then along with Shannon have a real team here that can do real well this year not 3 years time .
Think also Clarke has learnt a lot at this level in first 10 games and has great overall knowledge.
Though not too sure what they were so keen to get DeVries after seeing at West Sydney
Cant wait next 3 games

Reply #300275 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bretts the man..They got DeVries because he was a superb scorer in the Spanish league. The 36ers coaching staff must have asked around about him and it was revealed he improved many of the flaws that were with him at West Sydney.
The kid can play..You don't become a supreme scorer in the Spanish league by chance. The injury was a bummer.
I think we need to get over it though.

Reply #300295 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I saw Isaac there above me, just that I had Bob Turner on my mind from last nite, also re recruiting may jun jul , is different to now.
Probably wanted a PG like Shannon rather than a SG Winder and maybe Howard rather than DeVries, but they were heading towards European bigger contracts , then.

Reply #300313 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bretts, they couldn't afford Howard at the start of the season. Rest as MACDUB said - I think a fit DeVries would've been OK.

Reply #300321 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Guess you guys are right but when recruited they talked up DeVries time at West Sydney .
Also know injury help takes your confidence but still dont see as major reason to miss open shots how many times did Brett drag himself on court and not only get open shots but carry team to victory.
understand issue of $ value of getting players now when options dried up and big offers are not floating.
Moving fwd think2 new imports are going to add to some of the good talent we currently have

Reply #300324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought he was pretty good off the bench at West Sydney and he'd upped his output over in Europe. Shooting slumps happen - I don't think you can predict that. In Europe, he averaged 42.1% from long-range.

Maher was a pretty rare player and obviously few NBL players are going to compare to him. I can't find his year-by-year stats, but I imagine he would've been very consistent with his shooting.

The other year, Holmes was 45% or better. This year, 36% or so. Worthington and Gibson have had 40% years. This year, around 25%. Probably about getting shots in the right spot as much as anything (as the Blaze have a few guys misfiring and so did Adelaide).

Reply #300330 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I passed on her first name - 'Lareesha'
One told me he regarded this as 'the best name I ever heard.'
One said he didn't like it.. Later, he described it as 'great'
Another said 'it's heartbreaker'

Reply #300339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub,

DeVries played in Spain yes but it was in their second-tier league and on a middle of the road of the team.

Reply #300341 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

From some of the footage it looks like Howard moves well without the ball which will be good with a pg like Shannon who like to pass it.

Reply #300343 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Looks as though he doesn't have much of a left hand...

Reply #300409 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754