Isaac
Years ago

Hawks activate assistant coach as player!

It's a little tragicomic, but the Wollongong Hawks have been so decimated by injury ahead of their game in Perth that they have activated second assistant coach Matt Flinn! He has not played in the NBL since 1995.

Starters Gary Ervin, Glen Saville and Larry Davidson will all miss the game through injury. Starter Oscar Forman has followed up a bruised lung with gastro and is unlikely to travel (waiting on final doctor's advice). Final starter Mat Campbell is carrying an injury but will play at least some part in the game.

Bench man Tyson Demos will play through a shoulder injury while Rhys Martin and Dave Gruber have recently returned from injury.

Diminutive Zac Delaney will travel with the team while another development player, Jordan Barry, is unavailable.

Centrebet suspended betting on the game early yesterday. At that point, when Ervin was vowing to play, Perth were $1.20-1.30 favourites.

Topic #24745 | Report this topic

hooked  
Years ago

sounds like a socail comp... will they find a kid put him in uniform and have him stand on court?

Reply #303708 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Surely there is a better option than using Flinn??

Reply #303712 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I assume he would know all the plays, so perhaps that is why.

Reply #303716 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

Its smells a bit like what Fremantle did in the AFL last year, probably not going to win so leave the stars home and get them healthy rather than risk further injury

Reply #303717 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

sounds like a socail comp... will they find a kid put him in uniform and have him stand on court?

They did this already, Zac Delaney.

Reply #303718 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I thought u were gonna tell me Cooks was gonna play!! I nearly fell over...

Reply #303722 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They were going to activate Gordie, but they are still looking for his shorts from 1982

Reply #303732 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Retro/Legends round?
Gordie, Chuck Harmison, Cook, Kevin Brooks, Timmons - who else else is floating around that can help out

Reply #303736 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

pretty embarrassing that the league would allow them to do this. shows no credibility at all

Reply #303737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ, would be great if KB was still an assistant there. Da Klutchman returns!

Reply #303740 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Aren't Butch Hays and Chris Blakemore up that way somewhere?

Reply #303741 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

surely there are some younger local abl players that would play for them, even if its a perth local or 2 to fill in just for the one game, would have to be better than suiting up a guy who hasnt played NBL in 15 years, i guess he would atleast know the plays.

Reply #303742 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

How old is this dude?

Reply #303745 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Very odd. All the local leagues in Australia, the AIS AND development players out the whazoo and this was the best option to them.

Very disappointing; does make the Hawks look "thrifty" when it comes to replacements, though granted that this hit came at once whereas other teams tended to have some sort of staggered injury occurance.

Shame too as this game is a hyped game as well. Sounds like it will be quite underwhelming.

Reply #303747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish OneHD was showing the Crocs Tigers game instead of this one.

Reply #303748 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Where is Matt Shanahan when the Hawks need him?

Reply #303749 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I must say I do not recall him as a player even at his 'prime' 15 years ago. Can't find much about him (oh, the loss of NBLstats!) but he holds the equal fourth best single season three point shooting record for Wollongong of 50% on 6 of 12 shooting in 1992!

Reply #303750 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Matt Flinn played for Townsville in 1995 averaging 1.1pts 0.7reb
Played for Illawarra in 1994 averaging 2.8pts 0.6reb
1993 he averaged 4.2pts 0.6reb
1992 he averaged 4.2pts 0.2reb
He never averaged more then 0.6asts a game and never averaged more then 8 minutes a game.

Reply #303751 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, they have two development players. One is going with them (Zac Delaney) and the other is in China though their press release didn't say what he was up to (playing or travelling or something else).

Not sure that they plan for Flinn to get on court - might just be there in case players get injured or fouled out.

XY, I have the old NBL Stats data and there is a record for Flinn but no games on file - I think there were only boxscores from 2003 onwards? (That link is from my abandoned attempt to get NBL Stats back up.)

Reply #303752 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Once went for 14 in a quarter

http://www.hawkshistory.com.au/videos/interview-matt-flinn-favourite-playing-moment.html

This would be all about the benjamins for the Hawks as Flinn would be traveling any way they dont have to pay for him or the extra flight and accomodation

Reply #303754 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wouldn't that be good at half time.

Sixers legends vs "Away" legends

Reply #303761 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

AIS players wouldnt play because it would make them ineligable for college. Well the ones that want to go to college anyway.

And I doubt he will actually be on the court it is just to fill up there minimum numbers required for an away game to stay within the NBL guidelines.

Reply #303825 | Report this post

K47  
Years ago

NBL rules require 8 contracted players, this excludes Development Players afaik.

Hopefully most of the injuries are short term, so it doesnt really make sense to bring in an extra, who probably wont get on the court anyway.

Beside who's available?

No we just need refs to rip us like last week and make us play the bench of Zac and Flinny.

Reply #303835 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

It would be frigging hilarious to see him score 20+ points and dominate though!

Reply #303847 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

surley they could get 3-4 SBL players to suit up off the bench on 1 game contracts, or top SEABL players on short term min contracts, give them a training run in the morning and they are probably still better than the assistant coach.

Sure they probably only plan to use 7 guys but if injury/fouls happen he may have to log meaningful minutes, so yea id rather have a young guy, who knows you may find a diamond in the rough if you give a few young guys a go

Reply #303849 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

How old is Flinn? will he even be able to keep up atheletically?

Reply #303863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In their third to last season when they had no money and cal had just come in they had a similar convergence of multiple injuries and Cal Bruton had jumping Joe Hurst play one game, and then James Crawford suited up when they were in WA, and I think they even had willie Simmons on the court when the came to Adelaide. they came last, and thus were able to have 3 imports the next season.

Cal refused to play himself, mainly I think because his NBL playing games were stalled at 299 , or 399, or at least a -99, and he was not going to have any "#%^$#" say he took advantage of the situation to get to a "?00" club.

Reply #303866 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Isaac - can you upload the raw NBL Stats data to a file hosting site for others to download?

Reply #303955 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Brad Robbins - what a doughs. Can give out the physicality but can't take it. Cries like a petulant little child. Hawks doing ok given all their turnovers and being undermanned

Reply #303973 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

oops - spellchecker correct 'douche' to 'doughs' :) maybe the little ferret who has never played a second of legal defense in h life is both? ;)

Reply #303975 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

he actually got on, not sure why they didnt play the lil guy more though, they were down by thirty and they should have brought him in earlier.

Reply #303976 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

isaac?

Reply #304526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Emailing you now. Just finding the files.

Reply #304527 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

If I was Geordie I would've tsarted him and targeted someone like a Robbins or a Redhage to get in a tustle with and hope they got thrown out! ;)

Reply #304530 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754