Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Wildcats, Jan 23

Pre-game of the 36ers development squad against the State U20s starts at 2:35pm.

36ers-Wildcats starts at 4:30pm.

Hasn't been easy tipping 36ers games for years, but I was feeling reasonably confident about this one until Perth added Andre Brown. Wildcats are $1.72 favourites. The line their way is -2. Might be some value in Perth -5.5 at $2.49?

Could really have used Carter in this one as an extra guard against the Perth press.

What do you think are keys to this game? Stopping Lisch from getting hot? Throwing Redhage off his game? Plugging the key against their bigs?

Topic #24802 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

The Wcats will easily cover the line.
Too many great players and the 6rs are not anywhere good enough to stop them.My prediction Cats 93 6rs 73
Redhage, Brown to top score.
IMO Ballinger the only player the 6rs have got that could make the Wcats squad and get decent game time
D Martin - He is a GUN !!!!! He steals everything. Watch out for your wallets if your courtside!!!
I will be there to watch the 6rs get belted.

Reply #305037 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

First key to this game is applying D. We leave everyone open so shut everyone down and make them score the hard way.
Keeping Lisch, and Redhage quiet will be the hard one but not impossible.
Some fisty cuffs would make the game interesting.
I hate Perth and Redhage. He was a nasty player when in the SEABL with North-West Tasmania many years ago and still is.

Perth by 9

Reply #305038 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Adelaide could potentially get crushed today! They hustle more than us, they have more depth on the bench, they have height (which all teams need in basketball...yes even your team marty), and they have that killer instinct in them.

God i hope the 6ers put up a fight and make it respectable today. The attendances have been decent for the Sunday games and the crowd deserves an effort.

Reply #305041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats should win this game predicting by about 20 but if the sixers board is smart they should have a good look at the two temp players the cats gave got in brown and majok and maybe try to recruit one of them when there stint at the cats is finished. Brown will prob be a double machine in this league and majok would bring a great shot blocking presence that the sixers don't have

Reply #305042 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Fizzle the Perth team was actually shorter than the 36ers until Knight got injured. Brown is the same size as Knight so Matok is the only difference now. At the time of the injuries we brought in Bruce for Carter which i dont think anyone would argue with. They have brought in Matok for Knight. Brown is an upgrade and i would say will stay in the team once Knight comes back again making them no taller than the 36ers.
Only teams that are bigger across the board than the 36ers are Crocs, Tigers and Hawks.

Reply #305043 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Kb3, they firstly are still one big taller on paper, BUT lets be realistic, our bigs arent genuine inside players! Hence we have been slaughtered by any team with an ounce of height in there line up.

And everyone keeps comparing our roster to the 'mold of perths' BUT what people dont want to admit, is there roster has better smaller players than ours. Dont get me wrong i want a 6ers win just as much as the next fan, never go to the dome without having my voice ready to be lost....but this team is falt out ordinary. And Clarke isnt the saviour people made him out to be. Sad days...rebuild AGAIN.

Reply #305044 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

When the team is struck by injury and a lack of form as the Sixers are, somebody needs to grab the game by the balls and have a blinder. The problem is that just doesn't appear to be possible at the moment.

Perth by plenty - 95 to 70

Reply #305045 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Redhage has'nt got a nasty bone in his body,he plays hard every min he is on the court. Easy to confuse the two if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reply #305046 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Howard to have his first real impact tonight. 36ers by 5

Reply #305047 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Fm why do you say that? Did you hear word Marty was going to let him play his natural game?? Because its not going to happen within the confines of his system.

Reply #305048 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about then because I could've sworn Redhage was a dirty, flopping prick. My mistake.

Sixers by 1pt with 4 tech fouls to be given.

Reply #305050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X Perth will have a field day today. 3 young referees who will fail to control Perth's physicality. If there are going to be 4 Techs I expect at least 2 of them to be on Radford.

Reply #305051 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Fair call^

I expect Balls to make a stand against Perth's dirty play and start a lil brawl then.

Reply #305054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game is on One HD at 7pm.

Reply #305058 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

You never no??? Perth gets a bit cocky at times, with a team like wat we have its hard not to b!!!! Weve had 2 players go down with injurys 2!! quality 1nz at that! Played with 1 import, unlike every other team had 2 to start the season, danger game 4 the cats!!! Perth win comfortably. Dont u guys wish u had a redhege??? If he played over east he shouldve been an MVP by now!!!! Think he was better than homicide tha 1 it last season!!! Cant wait 4 us to play breakers!!! Again were going aukland after a road doubble in nsw!!! Not Fair?? adelaid fans, ull get there, just need to spend more money, like dj, creek, balls Hill got ng there so need a couple imports & a killer pg & centre.

Reply #305059 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

The thing which shits me about Redhage's flopping is not the fact he does it, but that he gets away with it, time after time. He did it on two consecutive plays against Melbourne the other week and got the call both times. I nearly threw my remote through the TV. They weren't even light contacts, they were no contact.

Please refs, just call him on it once and my faith in humanity will be restored.

Reply #305060 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Sheesh skip, this warm up music selection is terrible.

When wrestling theme music is needed.... that's a new low.

Reply #305061 | Report this post

Bobby tables  
Years ago

Ugh...Motorhead as pre game music? Seriously? Is this a basketball game or a bar brawl?

Reply #305062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone stream this with Dynno broadcaster on Justin.tv that is getting it live. So we dont have to watch it on delay in WA THANKS!

Reply #305064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its on delay everywhere not just WA

Reply #305065 | Report this post

fark sakes  
Years ago

Is this the sixers v wildcats thread or the whinge about anything I can think of thread?

Fickle bunch you lot.

Reply #305068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a fan of Bruce but he is just absolute garbage hope he is glued to the bench for the rest of the forth.

Reply #305069 | Report this post

Bobby tables  
Years ago

Rebounding issues once again, we're getting slaughtered. Shannon having a shocker.

Reply #305070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is what the coach has planned for the next 3 years be buggered if l will buy a membership next year FTS.

Reply #305071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won??? Though I can prob guess...

Reply #305072 | Report this post

Bobby tables  
Years ago

Sixers by one. Balls hit a clutch three. Shawn Redhage went down injured, looked nasty, hope it isn't serious.

Reply #305073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Adelaide win Ballinger CLUTCH

Reply #305074 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Whoops!

Gone off a bit early the last 6 posts !!!

Game ain't over till it's over!

Reply #305075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers by 1 following a huge ballinger 3 with 4 sec to go. Loudest crowd I have heard!

Reply #305076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet there won't be any refs complaints on here at all because adelaide won

Reply #305077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome, thats a good win, even if it wasnt the prettiest lol...

Reply #305078 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Lets face it, the Sixers only shot of winning that game was if Redhage didn't play (which he didn't in the first half) and with some help from the refs. They got both.

Reply #305079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thank god for adam ballinger.. Eddie shannon has to go! Cant score and liability on defence i would have bruce and carter anyday over him!

Reply #305080 | Report this post

Bobby tables  
Years ago

Thing is, balls has to arc up before being effective. First quarter he was timid as a mouse. Maybe at quarter time he saw someone ogling his wife or something.

Reply #305082 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Why clarke took balls off in the third is beyond me. He has no touch for the game at all....Adelaide escaped! Great win and all, but I hate our coach he is just not a coach I can get behind and support. He refused to sign a genuine centre and it nearly cost us this game. Great to have some atmosphere though again.

Reply #305083 | Report this post

drose  
Years ago

Fizzle, Ballinger asked for and needed a sub he was hurting.

How about knowing something before going off!

Reply #305086 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

hahahahaha your team wont be playing in the playoffs either. Now who's laughing?

Reply #305089 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So you'd rather see someone injured than your own pathetic team do well? How sad.

Reply #305092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Perth :)

Suck it ya looser!

Reply #305093 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Looser than what? Your mum?

Reply #305094 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

What a way to win it, a cluth 3 pointer. Awesome.
My only concern, especially after reading the Tiser today, Balls said 'the team were aiming to move the ball faster' and yet Shannon held the ball for an eternity and a day. Are you not part of the team Eddie?

As for Redhage, I am no sympathy whatsoever. I have seen him in SEABL with North West Tasmania Thunder do some nasty stuff and get away with it. Karma bites and when it does, it bites hard. Hope its a long flight home Shaun with delays on VirginBlue.
(it may be unsportsmanlike to say so, but hell this is the nastiest guy in the league and gets called for nothing despite doing it all).

Its moments like this I think to myself, is there a god or what!

Lastly, Benn McDonald; you are a serious toss. Go back to ref school and learn the game properly.

Reply #305096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the 36ers win, to the idiots slagging Perth, i'd rather loose to perth everytime and make the finals.

Reply #305097 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

@ The Situation; your home crowd can talk. I must have been dreaming the day I got slagged on along with the team. I guess in Perth that would be sportmanship, right? Moron!

Reply #305099 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No denying Redhage makes it his business to get under his opponents skin as much as possible but I've never seen him do anything to intentionally injure someone. To say that's it some sort of karma is moronic.

Reply #305100 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Adelaide fans only behave like this when they win, when they lose the refs are absolutely terrible, i'm not a perth or adelaide fan, un-biased observation. Perth is in the playoffs, i think Adelaide fans should quieten down.

Reply #305101 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhh to the people who left when we were down 6pts, I sincerely hope you enjoy the replay.

Amazing game. We had a few lapses that let Perth go on a run but generally our team D and offensive structure were fantastic. Different team at the Dome.

BALLS!: Clutch!!! What a game! He was non-existant for the first 18 minutes and then went nuts! That was a complete game. Offence, Defence, Rebounding, Leadership. Superstar.

Holmes: Jake was huge. Would not have been close to that fightback if it wasn't for him. That's the best passing game I've seen from a big man in a long time and his rebounding and hustle and D was integral.

Hill: Very solid game. Nice work playing the passing lanes and running the break.

Howard: His 1st quarter was the best he's played for the club. Showed great vision for a few of those assists and scored at will. Then he went dead for the rest of the game and his D was average at best.

Shannon: Put that down to an off game. I feel sorry for PGs against Perth.

DJ + JD: Non-factors.

Creek: One of his best games so far.
Beantown, I hope you watched his D closely tonight. Absolutely brilliant whether he was guarding Kevin Lisch or Sean Redhage.

Daly: I really don't understand it. He didn't do anything wrong, I just don't get these early minutes.

Brucie: Shocker. Again, I'll put it down to the Perth D. It's not easy when they're allowed to hack at you however they want but you get soft ones called on you as soon as you graze their back.

Sean Redhage is an absolute joke of a player. He's the only douche in the league who I would boo rather than applaud when he's being carried off the court. F### him, I hope he's out for the season. With the amount of time he spends either on the ground or putting people on the ground, he's got to be hurt sometime. Enjoy the injury Sean, you deserve it.

Oooooh aren't I a poor sport. I don't care, it's Sean f###ing Redhage we're talking about.

Great game from the NBL MIP Cam Tovey, he really has come a long way. Weigh did his thing too.

Now lets start doing this on the road hey? Seems like no one really wants that 4th spot. Let's snatch it.

Reply #305102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous...

Lose = not win

Loose = not tight

Just so you know...

Reply #305103 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

good win for the sixers but damn you people got me convinced to get on perth with a small -2 spread and now look where it has me. There was way to much dribbling around waiting for a play to develop that never happened. Also some of the subs where strange but we got the W so you take it.

Reply #305104 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

@dave-blocknorth

So because you got slagged on, any other display of unsportsmanlike behaviour is allowable? Or because I didn't mention you being slagged on, then I condone it?

Yeah, good talk.

Reply #305106 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Xztatik, when was the last time Redhage tried to intentionally injure someone, let alone actually do it?

Reply #305107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ONEHD says the match is on at 7PM, i've had it on record all day, and i'm getting Golf crap. WHAT IS THIS?????

Reply #305108 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Adelaide fans only behave like this when they win, when they lose the refs are absolutely terrible,"

They were terrible. Now we have positives to focus on.

Reply #305109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth got Owned!

Adelaide win, redhage injured.

My day is complete!

Oh BTW, refs did suck.....

And shut ya face Perth fans, ya got ya ass beaten!

Have a nice flight home ya bunch of LOSERS!

Reply #305110 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Situation, I think Dave is just exposing the hypocritical nature of your posts, not implying that you condone that kind of stuff. For once, I agree with you on all counts Dave.

Last time I saw Redhage try to hurt an opponent? How about 95% of the games he's played over the last 3 years. I'm not saying he's breaking anyone's leg out there, that would be too hard to get away with and you know he likes to stay in a friendly relationship with the refs. Try watching his elbows one game and come back to me.

Reply #305111 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Refs were shite but atleast they have become consistantly shite! I didn't see balls ask for any sub, either way this isnt the first time Marty has subbed at wrong times! I'll be complaining about him until he changes his coaching style I guess. Anyone know what redhage did? Hammy? Corky? Big blow for Marvin and the boys out west either way. They borderline cheat out west with the announcer yelling during play, karma comes in all forms I guess.

Reply #305112 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nothing I have said has been hypocritical. I responded to the people above me who were saying "suck shit" and calling THEM bad sports. How is that hypocrtical? Did I say all Adelaide fans are bad sports?

I said above that Redhage is going to niggle and annoy his opponent all game. I'm not trying to convince to like him. But to try and state that anything he does makes him a worthy recipient of a serious injury is pathetic.

Reply #305114 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

hahahaha Yelling during play? WTF??

Reply #305115 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Refs were shite but atleast they have become consistantly shite!"

They're consistently inconsistent. I would say their level of shitness has varied greatly over the course of the season. Today was about a 5.6 on the shitness scale.

Reply #305116 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Situation, fair calls. If Redhage played for the 36ers I'd probably be doing exactly what you're doing. And I'm well aware that the comments by myself and others are completely unsportsmanlike.

But Sean Redhage is a blight on the game of basketball. I would be happy to never see him take to an NBL court again, whether that be due to injury or anything else. If I'm going to be a poor sport about anyone, it is that wanker.

Reply #305117 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hurt his hip. Bevo seemed to think after the game that it is pretty serious. Would be very surprised if he played this Saturday against us.

Reply #305118 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think Redhage did his ankle?

It only took the coach to work out he isn't still Coaching the AIS by finally allowing his players to have consistent minutes as well as limiting the bench players minutes as he should have been doing the whole season. 33 minutes for Howard, Shannon and Ballinger! Limited Bruce and Dowdell to only 7 minutes each. Better late then never I guess.

How lucky was Holmes 3! That made a huge difference!

I didn't think the refs were that bad actually. It was also Karma to see Redhage go down :)

Reply #305119 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

6rs Fans -
Cheering and in raptures about a potential serious injury to an opposition player (S Redhage).
Thats the height of unsportsmanlike behaviour.
People that have the view they love to see opposition players break legs or suffer serious inj of any type every time they step on court ARE A DISGRACE.
The game doesnt need fans like U. If its good enough to cheer when Redhage went down its good enough to cheer when a 6r gets a serious inj too I assume.

Reply #305120 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

A blight? Gimme a break. He gets under peoples skin, put them off their games, then scores 20 points on them while they're frustrated. Different story if he had no skill but the league is better off for having someone like him playing in it.

Reply #305121 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"6rs Fans -
Cheering and in raptures about a potential serious injury to an opposition player (S Redhage).
Thats the height of unsportsmanlike behaviour.
People that have the view they love to see opposition players break legs or suffer serious inj of any type every time they step on court ARE A DISGRACE.
The game doesnt need fans like U. If its good enough to cheer when Redhage went down its good enough to cheer when a 6r gets a serious inj too I assume."

You misunderstood those cheers Anon. The court announcer told the crowd to give him a round of applause for his 'courage in that contest'. I am the one who was a 'disgrace' as I chose to boo him instead.

"A blight? Gimme a break. He gets under peoples skin, put them off their games, then scores 20 points on them while they're frustrated. Different story if he had no skill but the league is better off for having someone like him playing in it."

He takes advantage of the NBL's pathetic standard of officiating. He gets under people's skin ILLEGALLY and he scores 20 points on them by flopping every time he touches the ball. The league is NOT better off for having a dirty prick trying to turn every game into an episode of Neighbours.

Reply #305122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only losers are the 36ers and fans, disgrace.

Reply #305123 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Maybe change you username to XageraT next time.

Reply #305125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 305123,

36ers 77
Wild Cats 76

77 is bigger than 76 :)

The means we are winners!

Reply #305126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im happy he is injured :)

After what he does to our guards with his elbows he deserves it!

Cheer as much as u want when 6ers players go down... we are without our two best defensive guards (Carter, herbert) and a 3 point dynamo(ng).

And u still lost.......

Perth suck, their fans are dirty, and their players like Robbins and redhage need a punch in the face!

Robbins is a disgrace, and redhage got his karma..

What a clutch win by the boys!!

Reply #305127 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Wow this thread is really disappointing. does not deliver

Reply #305128 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Wow you're a funny one Situation. I was going to tell you not to sink to anon's childish level earlier in the thread but it seems that's your natural level too.

Reply #305130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And 6rs fans cheer harder then ever when one of your own go down with a serious inj ....
Coz I will be.

Reply #305131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop reading then...

I love seeing the Adelaide fans give it to Perth....

And I'm a breakers fan...

Perth a a blight!

Reply #305132 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Sorry Xztatik but when you're going to exaggerate to such a level it kind of makes having a discussion pointless

Reply #305134 | Report this post

WOOTWOOT  
Years ago

BALLINGER YOU ARE THE BOMB! IN YO' FACE BALLZ HATERS! THE CAPTAIN WITH THE CLUTCH! Bad luck to Redage but. WELL DONE BOYS.

Reply #305135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shutup situation, ya sore loser!

Reply #305136 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Did anybody behind the bench hear what Clarke and Howard were saying when he was dragged after a turn over and foul - in the 3rd I think? Looks like it got pretty heated.

Anybody?

Reply #305137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The situation I hope you'll go down to that idiot Devlin next home game and tell him that inciting violence and racially attacking opposition players is unacceptable.

Reply #305138 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ok, sure. I'm sure he'll agree too. Lucky he has never done either of those things.

Reply #305139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? Spoken to the players have you? I assure you he does, constantly. And the Wildcats put him there to do it.

You need to understand there are reasons why everyone from Townsville to Melbourne to Adelaide all hate the Wildcats, and I promise you its not jealously.

Reply #305140 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Just looked at the box scores - I cant believe that both Shannon and Howard had more time than Ballinger!

Clarke - FFS - let the man play!!

Reply #305141 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Really? Spoken to the players have you? I assure you he does, constantly. And the Wildcats put him there to do it."

Oh, so he's plant, is he? Which player received the racist threats then? When did he complain? Surely you've got a link to the news article that such a serious issue warrants? What has the league said about this issue?

"You need to understand there are reasons why everyone from Townsville to Melbourne to Adelaide all hate the Wildcats, and I promise you its not jealously."

It certainly is jealousy. Having to lie about another club to try and make a point smacks of jealousy.

Reply #305142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has no balls and won't step up to Perth who's owner is made of money and who sits on the BA board.

When Perth shows its opposition some respect then opposition fans will return the favour.

Until then enjoy the rude abuse, you're club has brought it upon themselves.

Reply #305143 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Pretty dour affair between the first and last quarter. The only enjoyment during that time was Majok's swats and Ballinger's third quarter. At one point half way through the final quarter I found myself wishing for it to finish quickly. I even told my wife that I was quite thankful we only had 3 more home games. I think the frustration hit hardest when Hill was switched to Redhage and he went to score the next 5 points and put Perth 10 in front.

What happened after that I didn't expect (even with the previous efforts shown in the last quarter of other games). The loss of Redhage was a big blow and appeared to affect the composure of the Wildcats. The sixers got a sniff and once again Ballinger make a huge play to get the lead.

Shame the Sixer's aren't back at home again until mid Feb. Finally it would have been nicer to see the sixers beat Perth with Redhage not being injured. Will make for an interesting trip to Perth.

Reply #305144 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So you're trying to tell me that a heckler racially abused a player, the team involved made a complaint, the league did absolutely nothing about it, and the story went no further?

Dude, either tell me which player, what the circumstances were, or stop lying altogether.

Reply #305145 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

There are some real immature jerks on this topic! Keep it about the game for gods sake... All this needs now is Julius Hodge and Cecil Exum to get on here and blow up about who was a bigger bust in the NBL!

Reply #305146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm telling you three clubs have complained about him and abusive, personal and yes racist comments that he makes.

And the NBL brushed them both off.

Personally I don't care if the NBL does anything or not, because I know they won't.

What annoys me is your attitude that Adelaide fans are rude and feral and Perth's fans and the club are perfect. I'm trying to point out that your crew over there are not perfect. That's all. I'm sorry if that's so hard for you to accept or understand.

I actually stood and appluded Redhage as he left the court. In my opinion Redhage isn't to blame for the physicality that he and others are allowed to play with. The League and the referees are. If they took control Redhage would be forced to adjust and I'm sure a player of his quality would. Right now he plays dirty because he can. Good for him. But he's still dirty. I'd rather see a player of his skill and abilty play to his strengths instead using his elbows, hitting people on illegal screens, pushing opposition players out of rebounding contests etc. (I'm sure now you're going to argue those facts to.)

Lastly this is a hoops forum for South Australian's and of course after a game like that some will post with a lot of emotion. If you don't like what's being said don't read it.

Reply #305147 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Sorry to continue with the off topic business but accusing someone of racially vilifying someone else is a pretty serious and defamatory allegation. I suggest this anonymous coward either puts up some proof, or retracts those comments.

Reply #305148 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

All I know Spinner is it finished with Clarke pointing to the bench.

I think Howard was chastised for yell at the ref for a foot violation instead of getting back and playing hussle defence.

Howard realised who had the power and quit trying to make his point.

Just another observation from the last 3 minutes, how jacked off did Hill look going into a timeout when Shannon didn't deliver him a full court pass and instead drove and dished to Howard (who got fouled on the layup). Hill's pout appeared to be in full effect.

Reply #305149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The situation I'm sorry.

I'm just repeating what I've been told by people who have experienced his comments.

If they're wrong I'm sorry and I apologise. But players have made the claims above, I can assure you.

Reply #305150 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"What annoys me is your attitude that Adelaide fans are rude and feral and Perth's fans and the club are perfect"

I've never once said anything along those lines. I have responded to what people wrote here. Thats it. If you haven't been one to say "suck shit" about an injury then why are you even getting so worked up?

I'm not saying Perth fans are angels either, because I know we are "ferals" but we do not cheer when players get injured, simple as that.

The other allegations are simply bullshit.

Reply #305151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets get back to the topic and talk about the game now

Reply #305152 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

I love how he is classified as anon, yet the situation gives so much detgail about who you really are! Unless you actually are the situation off Jersey shore!? if so im sorry for you, better luck next life ;)

I doubt he would be saying racial slurrs, he has to be smarter than that. He definitely isnt the choir boy he makes out to be in the perth media, from some peoples perspective, his teammates arent even that keen on him.

But really now im getting caught up in off topic stuff.

Was a great game, the 6ers did very well with such a bad roster (martys fault), and the dome was rocking again. Thankgod such a great finish was on One HD!

Reply #305153 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Adelaide fans are just adding to their already horrible reputation they have amongst other cities in Australia. You have a reputation of being obnoxious and being unsportsmanlike. You look bag at previous threads where the 36ers lost and it's just about how bad the refs are, that's the only reason you lose. When you win it's how amazing your team is and how shit the other team is. But look at the ladder if you will, i do believe Perth is above you on the ladder? yes am i correct. I do believe it was a home game and you would expect the home team to win, yes? Is adelaide going to make the playoffs? Is perth going to make the playoffs? When did Adelaide last have a team contending for a title? Wait until your team is respectable and is contending for a year before you start mouthing off to the Perth fans (and i am not one at all).

Reply #305154 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"I love how he is classified as anon, yet the situation gives so much detgail about who you really are! "

I'm not talking about his username, or my username. I'm talking about him making the allegations from his keyboard, under his anonymity. Am I making allegations like that?

Reply #305155 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There was an experiment with 2 equal teams , where one coach would speak heatedly , like Clarke does to Howard, never giving any praise.
Eventually, the other team that was praised for the good, became the better team.

Reply #305156 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Redhege has nothing on Kevin Muscat when it comes to dirty and dangerous, but seriously, anyone who has experienced a serious injury would not wish it on anyone.

I know I'm delusional but the sixers are still in touch with the top four and a win like today might start something.

I also liked Andre Brown's play. He'll be real handy for Perth come the finals.

Reply #305157 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

BigD, i agree, we as a fan base go on about the refs every week, especially when we lose, as if they havent been consistantly bad all season long! I was pissed when people went on about it massively after the Tigers loss, which had nothing to do with the refs and more to do with Marty not having his boys ready to play!

Anyways this topic has just got ugly, like Oprah naked, so im signing off it.

Reply #305158 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

That soft foul called on Bruce was just pathetic .... WTF

Reply #305159 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I'm not saying Perth fans are angels either, because I know we are "ferals" but we do not cheer when players get injured, simple as that."

Once again, you have misunderstood the cheers. They were not ironic, they were genuinly applauding what they considered a courageous play. So direct your aim back to me, as I was the one booing, while 95% of the crowd was showing unbelievably admirable sportsmanship to a man who does not deserve it.

Last thing I'm saying on this.

If you think your feral bunch at the Jungle wouldn't give it to Corey Homicide Williams if he went down with an injury you are completely and utterly deluded.

Reply #305160 | Report this post

ALL STAR 5  
Years ago

Ron Howard did well today and now will only get better but I thought there were too many times Shannon refused to give the ball to him (and for tha matter a few others) that were in better position to take a shot.
Ballinger blew the game apart with a 16pt 3rd qtr + managed to winning bucket with 4 ticks to go.
Majok should have been given a go in the final few mins after Redhage gotinjured. He had put together a decent game from very limited minutes.
S Weigh & T Creek both have very big futures.
All the fans who are legit wish Redhage a speedy recovery from what appears a serious season ending injury

Reply #305161 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Xztatik, I can only speak for myself and I can say I would never give it to any player that suffered an injury.

Reply #305164 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Redhage can only be as dirty as the refs allow him to be. For my few cents worth, the refs were bad tonight despite the win. The soft fouls called against Shannon for hardly more than breathing on his opponent was not consistent with the molestation dished out by Perth and got away with.

Reply #305165 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Majok would look nice in a sixers uniform, some of his blocks were sweet. Surprised he played so little as had a massive impact when on the court

Its never good to see someone hurt bad.

keep it clean guys, passionate sure but kids read this forum and im sure Isaac doesnt have the time to read and clean up every post..

great comeback, plenty of things to work on this week.

1 hint for clarke get the ball to ballinger. everything runs through him.

Reply #305167 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

X cheering an injury is not cool, maybe time to take a look in the mirror, its just a game afterall.

Reply #305168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holmes didn't hit the 3 - it was a tip from ballinger but the umpire arched up and cost Perth the game. Replay just confirmed it should have only been a 2.

Reply #305169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

howard was great when he got the ball. finally he played his natural game n didint listen to our stupid coach. he did get stuck on the wings in the 3rd n 4th though. he is much better when he gets it up the top. shannons gotta get the ball moving a bit more. thought hill n creek were solid.

Reply #305170 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The umpiring was poor but for once it was nice to see it work in the sixers favour. Two points being called three, phantom whistle blows when there was clearly a foul yet play allowed to continue with no stoppage.

On the matter of the Holmes's three was it conclusive that Ballinger made contact with the ball. I saw his hand hit the rim after the ball had bounced off the rim but I didn't see him actually touch the ball.

Reply #305172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to see all the sixers fans get onbord

Reply #305174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow all the sudden those Adelaide-based Majok doubters want him in 36ers uniform now? what a bunch of losers

Reply #305175 | Report this post

While I don't disagree with the comments re Redhage being a wannabe Neighbours cast member, and an elbowthrower, I can't see myself being the type to yell or celebrate his injury as a spectator or an opposition player.

The league does have a case to answer regarding Redhage and others who use a greater physicality than seems appropriate. I'm waiting for a knee-jerk reaction from the NBL when a player does cause a serious injury to another player through excessive physicality - I'm sure the offending player will get 4 weeks or more for a situation the NBL has allowed to propogate.

The 3rd (?) quarter offensive foul on the new Perth import (Brown?) was a good call, but straight after the 6ers imbounds Holmes set a very similar screen on a Perth player... this is the exact issue that most spectators struggle with - the inconsistent nature of offball calls/non-calls.

Reply #305177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Balls didn't touch it. The ball didn't deviate at all.

Reply #305178 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ballinger himself after the game said he did not touch the ball. So no favours from the refs at all. The game was won more than fairly.

Reply #305179 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I think you will find the average fan would say Perth are the most hated in team in the league. They play dirty - look at Robbins throwing the ball at Gruber's head (should have been thrown out of the game) and Redhage and his constant bows and flopping.

If Redhage is out for the season I believe Perth will struggle.

Great win tonight

Reply #305180 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Holmes didn't hit the 3 - it was a tip from ballinger but the umpire arched up and cost Perth the game. Replay just confirmed it should have only been a 2. "

You must have watched a different replay to the one I did lol.

Good game, well worth the charge from York's I made to be at the game

Reply #305183 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, even if contact was made which is debatable it was already in the hoop. not on the ring not half way in the ring but from what i saw it was down when his finger tips were close to it.

good win, still alot to work on for our team. love seeing creek get more confident.

redhage is a tool on the court but the refs allow it. for the longest time the most successful clubs have played this way ( goorjian!). happy for him to exit the game but hope its not too bad.

36ers fans may not be angels, but would appear close to it next to devlin. i know nothing of any allegations here but from what i know he is a scorer or works on the scorers bench? is that true? it looks like it and if he does than that makes his behaviour massively unacceptable.

Reply #305184 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No he isn't on the scorers bench. He sits on the other side of the court.

Reply #305187 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Oh, and you haven't heard those allegations before because that guy just made them up.

Reply #305191 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah robbins is the one i really dont like. redhage is a talented player who pushes the envelope a bit. robbins does some pretty childish things at times and even his defence which is his specialty which gets the job done at nbl level is thuggish.

without a lie or exageration my team lost 2 players to something like 40+ games for similar behaviour to robbins. except they didnt do it on a regular or semi-regular basis just a couple of times.

Reply #305194 | Report this post

Cuban  
Years ago

Also the son of a Perth employee and a sponsor of the club. Having spent time with him I doubt that he has ever crossed the line. Provocative and pushing the limits most definitely but I would confidently say he has not resulted to racist comments. Plenty of your mumma comments though if that makes sense.

Reply #305195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher said he touched it after watching the replay in slow motion.

Reply #305196 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Loved the game today, always good seeing perth go down. Not good for Redhage, Im not a fan of his either but sympathy goes out to him. he is dirty but every team needs someone to play like that. Oh and I was at the game- no one cheered him getting carried off, we applauded his courage simple as that. I liked our pressure D in the dying stages, It would be good to bring that desperation on D for 40mins we might even win a road game hustling like that.
Id like to see Howard control the point for a stint, its clear he can run an offence. He made some nice backdoor bounce passes today. Shannon just holds it for too long, He waits till 12secs on the shot clock before he even calls a play. Maybe it was our game plan today to kill the clock but I think we play better up tempo fast break basketball.
Hope Redhage has a speedy recovery( today was his 199th game in the NBL with no injury) Perth will find it tough to repeat now, My moneys on the breakers

Reply #305199 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Xztatik, Creek did have a good game tonight. Didn't notice him defending Redhage too many times though. He was on Redhage two plays in a row in the middle of the 4th and got schooled by him then.

I think Balls was subbed out for a quick rest, but Creek should never have been given the assignment of guarding Redhage at that stage of the game. In the 1:23 Balls was out, we went from 60-63 to 60-70 !!! Almost lights out. Fortunately, we rallied well and won the game.

Reply #305204 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

re: devlin

yeah i wasnt sure from memory though in the footage i watched he was sitting behind a bench? either my memory/eyesight is flawed or you guys have a bench opposite the scorers bench?

re: anon poster/ majok

im not sure what 36ers fans have slagged majok, or how you take one posters comment that he would like him in a 6ers singlet as fans then turning around??

i like majok but he has one party trick atm and is young and will get better. lots of areas that need improving. could be anything athletically but i dont see where people get the idea he could be nba from. could be a fringe nba player maybe, will be given an opportunity at that level i think but doesnt look to have anything on jawai at similar age? could be very good player though and i can see him growing into more. ideally should have went to uconn what was the deal there?

Reply #305205 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yep, there is an advertising banner, similar to the Dome, but we have seats right behind, so it would appear he is at a scorers bench or similar.

Reply #305207 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dislocated hip, gone for the season. Ouch. Super game but I'm with the person who said "why was the golf still on at 7pm?" I set the DVR for 6.40 - 9.20 ..... and still missed the finish. For all I know, Perth are still up by 8 points with just over 2 minutes to go!

For all the Redhage injury lovers, c'mon guys. You'd love him on your team and celebrating what is a serious injury isn't the conduct of a gentleman, let alone a human being. Be bigger than that, please.

To Sean, from everyone in Adelaide with an education past Year 9, all the best with the rehab and here's to seeing you back on court again next season.

PS. Really puts the Breakers out front of the pack. Will be interesting to see how the league applies the injury waiver rules with Brown and Majok once Wagstaff and Knight return.

Reply #305211 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Overall well done Sixers! That was a tough game and a gutsy win. The Cats had us when they were up 8 with 1:30 to go, but our guys didn't give up and made some good plays to snatch the win. Not often I've been able to say that in the last few years!

Balls you are the man. I think you need a nick with more hard currency. Its gotta be MONEY-BALL! Great clutch shooting but he did so much more.

He made a clutch block on Weigh with 46 secs to go that kept us in the game, was very solid on D and after half time, I thought he and Holmes hard work on the boards really gave us the foundation to grind out the win.

Hill and Howard were also good, making some good baskets and dragging down 11 boards between them. Howard is still a bit frustrating at times offensively, but what is good is that he consistently contributes on the defensive end of the floor.

That win will do the players confidence the world of good. Hopefully we can translate that into some more confidence on the road and win one there soon!

Reply #305218 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why has no mod removed the defamatory posts about a Wildcats sponsor?

Reply #305223 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Beantown, I think you will find that Brad Hill was given the assignment to guard Redhage in the last quarter and not Creek.

Reply #305224 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Phil, Majok went to U-Conn and only ended up playing one full season. When he went there he was touted as a future NBA draft pick, but I think he didn't see eye to eye with Calhoun and ended up not getting as much court time as he wanted. Reports were that Majok's family pressured him into declaring for the NBA draft last year because they wanted to start seeing him earn some money from basketball.

He wasn't drafted of course and so headed to Europe at the start of the most recent season, then the Cats picked him up a couple weeks back.

I actually think Majok has shown that he has more than one party trick so far. He is not ready to star in the NBL yet obviously, but I would take him on the Sixers in a heartbeat. Not only is his shot blocking ability exceptional, I have seen him execute some nifty post moves for a guy who was supposed to be lacking skills! Did you see his footwork to beat Balls for that layup tonight? That was pretty to watch. I saw him make some good shots in his first game against Melbourne too. Nevill is big and is as good as it gets in this league and Majok outplayed him easily on a few plays.

He also seems to have a great attitude on court. He plays hard and with aggression, but he also plays with a smile on his face and showed good sportsmanship helping up one Tiger after he had swatted the crap out of his shot last week!

I really hope some team is able to keep him in the NBL long-term. I think he'll be great for the sport in this country if he's on tv screens here every week!

Reply #305226 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

BigAds, I was specifically referring to two plays in a row right after Balls sat for a rest. I don't know if Creek was supposed to be on him, but he was and Redhage's eyes lit up and he burned the rookie with a 2 and a 3. I saw him lining it up and was thinking 'oh no, there goes the game'. Fortunately we were able to rescue it, but Creek is not ready to guard someone like Redhage just yet.

Reply #305227 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Now that I've seen the injury, I think it's safe to say that anyone pleased to see it occur is a prick, and xtatik is a piece of shit.

Reply #305228 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ridiculous reffing to finish the game, the worst being the half-whistle being blown. Hey ref, if you accidentally blow the whistle and all ten players stop, blow it properly, pat your head and own up to it. Unprofessional and unfair.

Reply #305229 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Ohh you're my hero Situation. Glad you're enjoying the loss mate (N)

Reply #305231 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hope you enjoy the playoffs. And here's hoping more people get injured so you can spank yourself.

Reply #305232 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

3 cheers for the refs!

They should have got the MVP points for that game!

Reply #305233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game refs!

Reply #305235 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Marty had his homework done back in September with the help of that little angry rat that sits next to him. The game in Alice tested everything he needed to beat Perth and he has now got the 2 games at the dome.

Ron Howard is probably where Devendorf was when he first started with Melb this season. I think reliable consistency for the rest of the season now after tonight's game.

Eddie Shannon hold the ball up offence scores us a lot of points. Heaps good pick and rolls with Balls and normally a collapse on the drive, so perimeter shooters get free shots. It works better with Ng on the floor, but Ron will get comfortable with the NBL ball soon enough. Fans need to learn that 8 seconds on shot clock is a lot of time. Making the panicking noises at 5 seconds would be more beneficial to the team.

Comment about Ben Mc is spot on. He doesn't understand the game enough and unfortunately you cant teach that. Although Marty should have worked out by now that Ben and Andrew have no clue and it is no point complaining to them. Sometimes that confuses them and they call more shite both ends.

Majok did well for his limited minutes. Needs a lot of footwork drills because that move on balls would be stung for a travel in europe where they love that call.

Now for Perth at home. We can get this done with Carter coming back in. Will be interesting who gets the game. Mills, Lyons and a mystery prize (hoping for Billy would be good).

Reply #305236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok was playing 2nd division in Turkey or something before taking his skills to Swan River.

I'd take Majok over Johnson next season for sure.

Reply #305237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't often see a push in the back, a blown whistle and play continues on, strange...

Reply #305238 | Report this post

Garvs  
Years ago

Lets see in the last 2 minutes things that went against the cats
1: Ballinger looks to tip in the basket they call a 3ptr
2: Small whistle blown down the cats end (could hear it on ONEHD) everyone stops... then told to continue to play and Adelaide score again
3: Martin goes up for rebound nudged out from under the basket in the back no call

I think the NBL will eventually have to think about bringing in an NBA style video review by the ref's on plays that are too close to call even if its only in the in the last 3 minutes of a game to make sure these game winning/loosing calls are correct as that's all anyone watching really wants... sometimes it will go in your favour, some times not, but at least you will know the correct call has been made when it really matters especially in the Play-off's eg Lisch's long range shot last year in the GF.

So basically, today everything went right for Adelaide down the stretch and nothing went the way for the Wildcats.... 36rs should consider them selves very lucky to get the win

the next game will be very interesting @ Perth on Saturday, I am predicting either overtime or a 7pt win to the Cats at home.

Weigh & especially Lisch will have to step up their games for the rest of the season to somewhat cover the Redhage loss.

Positions 2,3 and 4 are still up for grabs, though the Cats still should make the finals in one of those 3 positions IMO.

Reply #305242 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^says the guy with the school yard language and forum gangster spelling lol.

If Redhage could stop lifting his elbows when he sets screens against smaller point guards, less people would have smirked when he went down injured. Dislocated hips a bit rough tho, I would have settled for a stubbed toe.

Thanks for giving NZ a bit of breathing room at the top

Reply #305243 | Report this post

sieanne  
Years ago

isaac what you doing what no comments . CATS GOT YOUR TONGUE. get on and praise the win

Reply #305251 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I'd suggest Isaac isn't at his computer- and if he was he would probably be embarrased at the way a lot if people are acting in this thread.

X, I hope you re read the crap you have posted here about Redhage and realise what a dick you look like in celebrating a season ending injury to a player. Sure Redhage isn't my favorite either but to cheer and be happy that he has copped such a serious leg injury is disgusting and just shows the poorest of sportsmanship. And to say oh but Perth fans would do it to Williams is crap too, does them doing it mean it's right? That sort if comment is primary schools crap!

Pity help anyone near you if one if your beloved Crows cops that sort of treatment this season, you will be going off your head about the feral supporters who think it's great....

Reply #305253 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

*sigh at the sledging of both fanbases*

Personally I think the Perth v Adelaide games have always been a highlight of the NBL season for a hell of a long time. Sounds like most of the attacks going against Perth fans and Adelaide fans are for the same reason.

Probably one of the main reasons the matches are good and the turnouts are good: because the fanbases are exactly the same.

As for Redhage; the injury is a shame. Yes, he does make a difference to their team and scoring could have been alot different. Here's for a speedy recovery.

Perth fans, Redhage does play dirty sometimes; but then again, if he was playing for Adelaide, he would be doing the same thing; you'd be arguing the fact and we'd be telling you it doesn't happen. Every team has a player like that, not everyone likes to admit it.

As for the "one sided calls to reffing" that have been brought up; hate to tell you this but it happens everywhere. That's the whole reason road games are tougher, usually because of the lop-sided reffing.

Can honestly say apart from last nights game, Perth have had a few comeback home wins mostly thanks to some poor reffing; same goes for Wollongong and New Zealand too. Every club has home games like this; just another one of those things everyone has to learn to deal with.

On the topic of video reffing; the sad part is that if every arena gets the facilities for it, I would hate to think how many decisions would need to be made using it. Every arena that can support it now (e.g Adelaide, Sydney) would need a few more cameras to get enough angles on plays to make video reffing worthwhile.

Reply #305255 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I can't think of one Crow who behaves in the same manner as Shawn Redhage.

I'm hardly "celebrating" the injury. On the replay he looked to be in terrible pain (but you never know with him) and I would never wish that pain on him, but anything that gets him off the court is fine by me. Karma.

Shocking sportsmanship of course, I admitted that. But I'm not going to lie and say I feel the slightest ounce of sympathy for that dirty prick.

Reply #305256 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

^^^ Your a sad little man

Reply #305259 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Video replay in this instance if following the NBA rules would not have made a lick of difference. NBA refs can only go to the video to see if a shot was taken behind the 3 point line or if a shot counted on the buzzer. They can not use it to assess any other aspect of the game.

Perth fans just need to get used to the fact that Redhage is one of if not the most despised player in the game at present. When he goes down with a injury it is pretty classless to attack him but it is not to be unexpected.

Reply #305261 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

In regards to the errant whistle, I would assume that the ref in question was about to call a foul, realised that it would disadvantage the 36ers, stiffled his blowing of the whistle, to allow the advantage. However, he did not realise with all the crowd noise, how many players had actually heard the noise. The correct action, as mentioned previously, would have been to indicate a referee error and give the ball to the 36ers to restart from the sidelines. If there had been no score, it would not been perceived as any consequence.

In regards to the Ballenger "tip in", the refs did not have the benefit of TV replay and could only call in real time from where they were on the court. Bit like cricket umpires and technology in previous years.

Reply #305263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

majok would bring a great shot blocking presence that the sixers don't have
We need defenders, but we have a shot blocking presence: Adam Ballinger, third in the NBL in blocked shots.
wow all the sudden those Adelaide-based Majok doubters want him in 36ers uniform now? what a bunch of losers
Probably completely different people...

Great finish and result for the 36ers. Shame about the nutbags posting on here - reads about as well as the Melbourne thread deleted the other day.

Ballinger's 12 points in about two minutes were, dare I say, awesome. I was out of my seat on that final shot as it left his hand knowing there was a very good chance of that winning us the game. Balls at his best. Howard and Creek got things started, then Holmes was crucial at the end - seven assists.

Not a flawless game by any stretch for us, but good signs and a much-needed win. The re-match in Perth is going to be rough as hell.

Tough injury to Redhage for Perth. I expected a bit more from Brown who might not be able to quite cover Redhage's impact - Brown is a bit like Ira Clark in that he seems to let himself limit his output as much as anyone else. Obviously has strength and agility enough to score when he needs to.

Reply #305268 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Ballinger for POTW after that performance?

Reply #305271 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I'd love Ballinger to get PoTW. But unfortunately Kirk Penney has told Balls that he can't have "his precious".

Reply #305278 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Can I just say again that I'm not denying what Redhage does on the court. He gets under his opponents skin, he is a physical player and likes to stir the pot, and I can see why opposition fans hate him. That of course means that every single incident he is involved in automatically becomes his fault, and while that might not be true, it's just part and parcel of being a villain.

However, despite Xztatik's best effort to make out him out to be the most evil person on the planet, he has NEVER tried to intentionally injure someone, certainly not in the manner in which he suffered an injury last night. It's simply pathetic for some immature prick to wish harm against someone, and be proud of it, and then try and tar everyone with the same brush that he was unfortunate enough to cop at a young age.

Read what others have said, Xtatik, you're an absolute dick and you should be ashemed, If you're not ashamed, you're just a piece of shit.

Going on to the fans of each teams now. I'm not commenting on Adelaide fans as a whole. Anything I have said above has been in direct response to a comment made by someone else here. Thats it. That doesnt mean I condone what other Perth fans do (like spitting, if true) or that I think all Adelaide fans are dicks (just Xtatik).

Reply #305279 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

@dave-blocknorth and xztatik
Please stop giving these guys any response, they are total wankers and have no idea, to think it is O.K to applaude an injury to Redhage or any player is totally wrong. Karma if you believe you may recieve!!
Ask your closest friends what they think of you honestly and prepare yourselves for the response, have a long hard look in the mirror..

Reply #305284 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good point about the errant whistle at the end Ushiro. The refs might also have been remembering an incident earlier in the game when the Sixers were almost certain to score and one of them blew their whistle because they couldn't work out whether the ball had changed possession or not!

Yeah the bounce of the ball went the Sixers way at the end, but it often goes the other way. Also, Perth played poorly on Sunday and wouldn't have deserved the win if they got it.

Reply #305291 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A stirring come from behind win like this is the kind of win the team needs to boost its confidence for the the next run on the road.

Reply #305292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger has got to get POTW for that. No other performances in the league for winning teams matched that output. Good numbers - check. In a win - check. Against tough opponents - check. Including a game-winning shot on TV in front of a noisy crowd - check. Buy the toothpaste now!

Reply #305294 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Didn't Ira Clark have a monster game too? 29 and 10, shooting 65% from the field.

Reply #305296 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Redhage is not my favourite player, but deserves due respect. I was on my feet applauding him as I would any respected opponent after a horrific injury, as was everyone around me. Shame on anyone who would wish another person ill, or take pleasure from it. World war I diggers had more respect for the guys that were trying to blow their heads off than some here have shown to a superstar in a sporting contest.

Good game, great come from behind win. The refs did not decide the game, Lisch's miss in the last second did (when he got up a pretty reasonable look).

Speaking of which, Marty made a fundamental coaching error on the last play. The Sixers had two fouls to give with 4 seconds left to play. The instruction should have been to foul the inbounds receiver immediately. Two fouls could have burned precious seconds off the clock, and would have perhaps prevented Lisch getting up such a good look.

Reply #305299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB3... The use of technical equipment is permitted in the NBL, as stated in the FIBA Rules of Basketball 2010 (Article 46.12). The Referee shall "be authorised to approve and use the technical equipment, if available, to decide, before he signs the scoresheet, if a last shot for a field goal at the end of each period or each extra period was released during playing time and/or whether that shot for a field goal counts for two (2) or three (3) points."

It makes no mention of not being allowed to check if a ball was touched before it entered the ring. Any footage which can assist the Referee to ascertain whether the shot should count for 2 or 3 points can be used. It does, however, say that the technical equipment should only be used to decide on a last shot for a field goal at the end of a period (i.e. a buzzer-beater). The shot everyone's talking about was not a buzzer-beater.

Reply #305300 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

XY, I'm almost certain we were on 4 fouls for that last play, after Holmes gave one intentionally the previous possession.

Reply #305303 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

XY is right they had 2 fouls to give

Reply #305308 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Yep, definitely 2 fouls to give. Very bad end game management and lucky Lisch's shot rimmed out or some very serious questions would need to be asked. Surely that is the very thing that the coaching staff are required to keep track of in the crunch.

Reply #305313 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yeah Ballingers output eclipses Wilkinson and Penney's and against tough opposition. Gets my vote.
Anyone think Penney's gonna beat Ervin for the season MVP ?

Reply #305322 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Possibly, Ervin's form has dropped considerably. If Worthington keeps playing the way he has the past month he will be a chance too. Redhage would have been right up there too, he has been sensational this year, real shame about his injury.

Reply #305323 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Hope not. Now that Redhage is out, Ervin and Khazzouh are my only MVP bets. I wouldn't be surprised though, the way Ervin's been playing. How many games did Penney miss again?

Reply #305324 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

I sit about level with the basket an in line with basket for perfect view Ballinger did not touch the ball. He touched the ring. This does not change the status of the ball ie change it froma 3 to a 2.

Clearly did not touch the ball - rookie may have made the mistake to tip it in. Ballinger went up for the rebound if it was missing but DID NOT touch the ball I will bet my house on that.

Reply #305325 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

It looked borderline to me on the replay. I'd probably say he got a fingernail on it if I had to make the call. Tough one.

Paul, how many games do you think Sydney has to win from now til the end of the season for Khazzouh to be a legit MVP shot? No one even comes close on numbers but you can't possibly give it to the bottom side.

Reply #305328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those rating Penney's chances, he's paying $4. Redhage still in there at $8, so Centrebet might not have updated their numbers. Ervin is at $1.90.

Penney may well become the favourite if the Hawks slide any further.

Reply #305330 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Penney missed 5 games at the start of the season and is now sitting in second place behind Ervin on the NBL Top Scorers list with 19.6 points per game on average.
Khazzouh cannot be MVP, by definition MVP mean most valuable player, sure he's valuable to Sydney but he sure as hell hasn't carried them to many victories this season. Great Player but not MVP material this season.
Ervin deserves it based on his form for the first half of the season but I will not be surprised if Penney's numbers continue to rise and the Hawks woes continue and Ervins numbers fall off a bit and Penney sneaks in.
I would take Kirk Penney over any player currently in the league from a recruitment point of view.

Reply #305332 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Considering how the voting is done, Khazzouh is definitely in with a shot. A consistent stand out on a poor team, with no one else playign well enough to even considering voting for. It would be a shame if he did win but definitely possible.

Reply #305334 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Can't argue with that. At $4 I might get on Penney to cover myself actually...

Reply #305335 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Khazzouh has to be a chance.

Remember Matt Knight came second two years ago playing for the Spirit as they staggered to finish the season. With Khazzouh and Low gone Knight became their main man and picked up lots of votes as a result - he wasnt close to the best player in the comp though. Your team doesnt have to win a lot of games for you to pick up MVP votes.

Having Dickel moving the ball will only make Khazzouh better too, but I'd still rate Penney and Ervin as the two favourites.

Reply #305344 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@anon i think you will find the shot everyone is talking about is Jacob's 3 that Balls attempted to tip in but missed touching the ball.

if this happened in the NBA they would not use the replay as they have effectively the same rules as what you have quoted from FIBA withe the score standing as it was called at the time.

Reply #305345 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

yeah Khazzouh is eligible for votes but in my eyes he would not deserve to win it outright. Easy to look good when you are the only ripe fruit on a crap tree.
Last year when Homicide won it, I couldn't really argue, he put up good numbers and I would feel the same if Ervin won it this season.

Reply #305347 | Report this post

cuban  
Years ago

Penney missed games and has vote stealers on his team, Khazzouh has himself to steal votes from. Oh and Madgen last game.

Reply #305350 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

XY, I noticed you said earlier that Lisch's missed cost the game for the Wildcats.

While I agree he did have a shot to win it, the more glaring 'miss' was whoever switched off ballinger 3 seconds earlier and left him WIDE open for a 3 point shot, which was Adelaide needed to take and Ballinger would have been first option.

At least with a hand in the face there might have been some slight pressure on his shot

Reply #305357 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think Bevo mentioned that in his post game talk. He singled out Brown for not following the instruction to not leave anyone open.

Reply #305358 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it was a miscommunication between Martin and Brown, cant blame one of them if the direction was simply 'dont leave anyone open'. If the instruction was dont step out on any picks that is a different matter.

Given that a new player in Brown stepped out t help Martin should have read it better and switched for mine.

Reply #305361 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I was quite shocked how open Ballinger was, after what he did in the third quarter you think the Perth players would have known where he was on the court.

Reply #305362 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Eddie Shannon did a great job of making it look like he was going to take it himself.

Reply #305363 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yep, 4 3ptrs and a 3pt play in the span of a few minutes. Certainly the devastation I'd expect him to perform.

Glad to see he climbed out of his slump. Obviously the man can hit any set shot on the court. Just needs to learn how to handle the ball more to avoid the turnovers.

Reply #305364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@KB3... I realise that is the shot everyone's talking about. In your earlier post, you seemed to imply that the referee is not allowed to use the technology to ascertain whether a tip has occurred at the basket, and that they can only use it to see the position of the feet/act of the shot in relation to a siren sounding the end of a period.

The rule states that the Referee shall "be authorised to approve and use the technical equipment, if available, to decide, before he signs the scoresheet, if a last shot for a field goal at the end of each period or each extra period was released during playing time and/or whether that shot for a field goal counts for two (2) or three (3) points." Surely, then, any footage which can tell whether a shot should be counted as 2 or 3 can be used (e.g. whether there was a tap at the basket)?

In any case, it's all academic because they would only have been allowed to review the footage if the shot was a buzzer-beater, which it wasn't.

Reply #305366 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Who Me, Paul pretty much said it already, but Brown went to double team Shannon, leaving Ballinger to move off him. It was not a bad tactic as Shannon's pass Ballinger was under some pressure and nearly didn't get there. They gambled and lost.

Lisch should never have had the chance to take that look at the end, miss or no. Foul dammit foul!

Reply #305372 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Just watched the replay again. Damian Martin played perfect D, there's no way he should have switched. Brown's mistake.

I still think our foul count on the big screen was 4 on that last possession, but obviously the replay didn't help. ONE doesn't think fouls, or any other statistic for that matter is important.

Reply #305375 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

LiveStats say you're right XY. I dunno what I was looking at. Perth's foul count maybe :/

You're right then, that's a pretty average mistake that could have cost us.

Reply #305376 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

foul count for sixers was 2

Reply #305377 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Yeah foul count was 2, me and the boys were screaming for a quick foul to halve the 4.7 perth had. That can bite you in the ass though with lisch's smarts he could of seen it coming and quickly put up a shot to get to the line. I've seen the master Reggie Miller do it before knowing the opposition were gonna foul. All in all lucky lisch missed the jumper. Hoping the 6ers can play with the same intensity they had in the last 2 mins on sat night.

Reply #305384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't be an idiot, Ballinger is no Majok-type shot blocker. Majok is way better and presents a far bigger presence.

Reply #305391 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cool story anon,

Reply #305396 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

@ Xztatik, they for agreeing with me. Im shocked! Blown out of the water!

No one likes injuries to players however there is a boundary to cross when this happens. I dont generally condone clapping or yelling abuse at any injured player. Its just not on even in AFL.

@ The Situation- you talk all about finals and yet, its clear we arent in the final round of the regular season. And yet, I think you're unhappy because you lost again to a 'lower placed club' than your beloved team. It was all rosy at 4:36 to go then you shut up shop like Adelaide do occassionally. Its the way it pans out.

As for refs, well....ive been there said that. They are gronks, all of them and very out of touch.

A comment was posted yesterday claiming Adelaide won with over reffing or comments referring to it. Wrong, in the second quarter, a foul was called against a 36ers player, for the smallest of touches to a back and yet the obvious one's they dont pick up. Thats why NBL basketball refs like Benn McDonald need a new profession.

Reply #305413 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XY is correct and xztatik is wrong. Its Perth that were on 4 team fouls at the end of the game. Adelaide was on 2. Adelaide had 2 to give up to make things a lot tougher for Perth in the dying seconds which Mr Clarke did not take advantage of. If that game was lost by 1 point, I would have been calling for Mr Clarke's head.

Reply #305414 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No Dave, I was annoyed because people like you laughed at a player being injured, saying he deserved it, just because he plays for the other team and niggles his opponent. Then when I said something, you somehow decided that I must condone people spitting. How do you come to that conclusion, especially when I wasnt talking about all Adelaide fans?

I talked about the finals because we'll be playing them in this year and you wont be.

Reply #305415 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

That last paragraph is unnecessary mate. Refs are human, we all make mistakes don't we? Do you really expect the refs to get EVERY call right?

Reply #305416 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just wondering, but how do we all know that 'Mr Clarke' didn't call for his players to foul? Are we certain of this?

It couldn't possibly be the fault of those 'adult players' I'm hearing about that failed to make the decision to foul using their own noggins? Could it?

Reply #305433 | Report this post

buddy x  
Years ago

@Big D not every call but more than 50 percent would be a good start. The refs in the NBL are horrible in general. Looks like new guys are being blooded that aren't ready for the gig. The Sydney game they gave the wrong guy foul shots after being fouled an no one noticed.

Reply #305440 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would take Ballinger over Majok in a heartbeat. His numbers say it all.

Reply #305444 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

"XY is correct and xztatik is wrong"

Lol! Thanks EC, I didn't just say that :/
Just taking advantage of the opportunity while you can hey?

There is definitely a risk involved in fouling a guy like Lisch outside the 3pt line, but I think Eddie definitely had the oppurtunity in this instance, without giving him the 3 shots.

Reply #305448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't say Ballinger is a Majok-type shotblocker (i.e., really long, changes shots, shows up late, but not known for his outside shooting, clean shot, etc), just contesting your assertion that Adelaide didn't have a shot-blocking presence. We have one of the league's top three. He had six blocks the other week in a game.

Reply #305450 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

dave-blocknorth, I agree completely, and I think it is entirely possible that McDonald got EVERY SINGLE CALL that he made wrong on Sunday, which has got to be hard to do.

Reply #305453 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Have you ever wondered why the refs aren't up to standard as you say. It starts down at the associations from which they come from, me being a ref myself, i get little rules updates, no clarifications on the rules, little improvement training at all. And the associations that do do it don't do it to a high enough level. Also with the amount of crap refs get from fans and players alike, who would want to ref higher level games? I'm sure there is people who feel this way and just don't see the point of reffing higher level and trying to improve themselves if they just get treated like shit at the games. It's more who wants to do the NBL when refs feel like this.

Reply #305455 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You couldn't pay me enough to ref at NBL level and cop the sort of unconstructive abuse people are prepared to give on here.

I am not saying that the reffing was great on Sunday, there were certainly some bad calls both ways (probably favouring the Sixers actually), but it certainly wasn't the worst it has been all year and is massively overexaggerated as a problem by some posters.

Bad calls are part and parcel of the game. Tone it down guys and get on with supporting your team. There is certainly no need to go around calling out any particular refs for abuse.

Reply #305473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

majok will never play for the sixers.

Reply #305619 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I can't remember thinking 'Oh no we have Weeksy on our game' or 'not butler again'. However in the current era you definitely hear it every game with the current batch. I am talking NBL level because in State Bank League many hated our batch however Butler and Weeks were the main pair back in the 90's.

Reply #305628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754