Isaac
Years ago

Majok thrown out of Cats training

Ater Majok's future with the Perth Wildcats is hanging by a thread after the Sudanese-born centre was thrown out of yesterday's training session at the WA Basketball Centre.

Majok missed a scheduled weights session in the morning and failed to inform club staff he would be absent.

He turned up later for training but coach Rob Beveridge sent him away to consider his future.

Majok has been given the option to return to training this morning but must convince Beveridge he is committed to the team in order to retain his temporary place on the roster.
Full article

And from someone in Perth in another thread:
Majok to be released from Perth Wildcats , he has not showed up to traning the last 2 days and they are not happy . On Perth radio this morning.

Edit: Seen by a Cats fan getting to training on time this morning, so may not be quite AWOL?

Topic #24834 | Report this topic

curious  
Years ago

Typical

Reply #305904 | Report this post

the reason for the suspended betting?

Reply #305908 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Hopefully his disruptions help the 36ers cause on the road this weekend!

Reply #305910 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Seen by a Cats fan getting to training on time this morning, so may not be quite AWOL?"

He was seen arriving with Trueman, but it may have just been Jeremiah's taxi driver.

Reply #305912 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

All very interesting,
considering the early rumours that he wanted to play for the Kings.

Reply #305916 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's developing a history of this.

I got two replies on Twitter:

@DishNSwish: "ah one of UConn's finer recruits..."
@AussieBall: "Headcase!"

You're tall with reach and ability to play. How hard is it to just follow instructions, work hard and apply yourself as a professional player?

The Cats deserve more respect than this, especially this week. Huge opportunity to step up in the absence of injured players.

Reply #305917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats pretty poor form if its true, once you get a reputation as a guy who misses practices without notification its pretty hard to shake. If his intention is to play overseas then he really isn't doing himself any favours

Reply #305920 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Prob has a high opinion of himself and thinks that he is above training ect. I would cut him and sign someone who wants to play.

Reply #305923 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Stop drinking the poison, Ater.

Better news for Perth was that Matty Knight was back running for the first time this morning.

Reply #305926 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Maybe Bevo didn't release him for Aus Camp.

#fridayafternoonjoke

Reply #305929 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

as someone who has always had to bust his guts ( in sports and in work) to just get by i hate this kinda stuff. some people just dont know what they have, ild love to give him a heavy clip to the back of the head, then swap places and he can do my manual labour for $20 an hour while i get paid to better myself physically and train and play the game i love.

Reply #305930 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Maybe the Wildcats need to be a bit more tolerant. If you know many Sudanese people punctionality is not a strong point. They are pretty laid back and I beleive lateness is just part of the culture.

If I was Perth I would be working with him to try and correct it rather than make it public and blow it up.

Reply #305932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone else coached any Sudanese kids? They go AWOL for a few days then rock up again like everything's OK. Or they are late to training. It happens...

Reply #305934 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Jake,

I think he'd probably have no trouble remembering what time/date it was if the Wildcats were late in paying him a couple of times.

Not good enough. If you can learn a motion offence you can learn to read a f*cking clock.

Reply #305936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And it's not like he's new to all of this. American college, etc.

Jake, this wasn't the first instance - was late to pre-game the other week and was warned.

Reply #305938 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

It's sad as he has the natural talent he just needs to dedicate himself and he could be very good. It may be a cultural thing but if he has chosen this occupation he need to respect the effort required. Hopefully it's just being young and he can develop good habits going forward.

Reply #305944 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

lol i love the stereotyping going on. its because he is sudanese which is why he is late, are you for real? lay off the crack pipe people. if your being paid to do a job you get there on time and do your job. that would be stupid if they just let it go because he is "sudanese and they are always late" what kind of crap is that. this just brings flash backs of Dr. NO J

Majok has a tonne of potential after seeing that last game, he just needs to apply himself now and stick with it.

Reply #305945 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I played in an ABA side coached by Bevo a few years back and take my word for it, If Bevo sent him away early to think about it......Ater is walking on thin ice.
Rob Beveridge is as good a Basketball coach as any you will find in Australia or Europe, and his opinion carries plenty of weight. If Ater has been slack with practice/ games or commitments then he deserves the reputation he is growing for himself. That reputation can, unfortunately follow you around for years. Also, it looks awful to prospective teams overseas who may have been considering putting Ater in their rosters.
My advice is this Ater, get your arse to the gym! Make up for any lost time and then some more!
There are countless guys who would give their right arm for the opportunities that Ater Majok has had, this prick can't even show up on time.

Reply #305949 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So the Cats should respect Majok's Sudanese culture, but he doesn't have to respect the culture of the country he lives in?

Reply #305950 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Maybe the Wildcats need to be a bit more tolerant. If you know many Sudanese people punctionality is not a strong point. They are pretty laid back and I beleive lateness is just part of the culture. "

I believe we are in Australia..if he wants to live in his culture, he can go back there! Here we rock up on time, fair pay for a fair days work.

Reply #305957 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

There is no doubt from my experience that turning up whenever you feel like it is 'on time' in the Sudanese culture.

That is not racial stereotyping. Racial stereotyping would be to say: 'X is Sudanese and therefore is incapable of being on time'.

Reply #305959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is not about either country's culture but about a player's attitude and the expectations of a basketball club (which would probably hold true for most NBL clubs, American colleges, etc).

Reply #305961 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

im pretty respectful of other cultures, i have to be. but we as a culture have entirely different principles to some other cultures. ive worked with and known close to a hundred africans that have immigrated here, plenty of them were nice people but i can count maybe one or 2 ild ever employ myself.

maybe we have been lucky and all we have ever known is that if we put in effort you get rewarded and it doesnt work like that in countries like sudan and liberia. most have had terrible work ethic that ive known, although ive also known exceptions they have been embarressed by some of the behaviour of others.

majoks behaviour isnt limited to sudanese ( plenty of aussies), but it is a bad example of something too common in african immigrants. of cause given time this will change and we will see the best of both worlds, like how we have people who are australians born and bred but are also italians,greeks whatever, and love that history and still celebrate and enjoy and share that culture with us.

Reply #305962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some people on this post have got a little side tracked we are talking about someone who is professional athlete that is disrespecting a club which has given him a chance to shine in the Australian system.

to prove himself and he has thrown it back in their faces by turning up late to games and now not turning up to a weights training and then coming in late to a practice remember people this is a
"professional athlete"

I say he is lucky the cats need him till jess comes back otherwise he would be packing his bags and told to f&^K off

Reply #305965 | Report this post

sieanne  
Years ago

so much for him ahead of balls again would be great for the club .just like having hodge

Reply #305969 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

&^%$ that Jake!
Last time I looked. he was playing in the NBL, not some geriatric Sudanese league.
Rob would be in his every right to demand full commitment of one of his paid players, as he would any one of his rostered players.
Anyone who thinks they can shirk the system, piss them right off!

Reply #305974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i reckon this is a bit of a beat up...its beveridges attempt to deflect attention away from redhages career ending injury.

majok lives nearly an hour away from the gym - others guys live a lot closer...he was caught in a traffic jam,attempted to contact the trainer & missed a session...it was more like 5 minutes late last friday night NOT 30 minutes like its been made out...he is not a knob with a big opinion of himself...if he was, he would be bitching about his playing time to the media.

uconn coach calhoun once said that no-one will outwork majok...thats not the description of a lazy or disrespectful player.

your as good as your last performance and in majoks last performance, he was one of the best players on the perth roster.

Reply #305992 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Lets all tip toe around becuase of the "race thing"
FFS - NBL either play by the rules or piss off!!

Reply #305994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

race has got nothing to do with this at all.
beveridge should be hard on all his guys but majok isnt a bad guy.

rob beveridge says:

"He responded great. We had a team bonding exercise last night and he was there.

“(He was) very, very humble and he was early this morning and I don't see it being an issue at all.

not an issue at all
beat up.

Reply #305996 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why would Beveridge create an issue about disharmony to deflect attention away from Redhage? What is the point in that?

Reply #306000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it kinda takes the focus off redhages career ending injury...im not sure people are understanding the severity of his injury.
he doesnt need to hear about all that at the moment while he is still bed ridden in adelaide.

coach doesnt see majok as an issue at all.everyone is cool with each other all of a sudden.
sounds like a mountain out of a molehill to me.

just saying a disrespectful tosser with tickets on himself would be whinging to the media or on twitter about coming off the bench and playing 10 minutes a game.majok doesnt seem to be that kind of guy.

Reply #306005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #306006 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The first issue is the airing of your teams internal problems in the media. This started on friday. By all accounts Majok was in the training room receiving treatment on his knee and Bevo was not aware of this.
From a management perspective why does a young player like Ater live an hour away from the gym? It is not as if he is in Sydney and he is cognizant of the fluctuation in traffic times.
You have a player who has come in and played his ass off to help Perth get some huge wins and has often outplayed opponents best player (in limited minutes) and you bust his balls the first opportunity you have in the newspaper. Who in this league is averaging his defensive numbers on a per minute basis.
From a NBL perspective it is a bad move on Bevo's part because it would seem as if he is trying to destroy a young players reputation as he is trying to head to Europe.
If I were advising Majok I would tell him to tell his agent to get him on the first flight out of town once his stint is up.
Get to Europe with the rest of the Australian talent that are over there making a lot of money without the head games.
As for those who categorize a race of people under the umbrella of a cultural norm, then all of us who are Australian are prone to the same disease of laziness because I have seen many of us on the dole and at the beach.

Reply #306011 | Report this post

Quick to jump on the cultural issues here. Last I looked Steve Levin wasn't from Sudan. But hey he must have got his shit attititude because he is from Cambelltown in SW Sydney and they are all like that there.

Reply #306018 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Avee Storey may be sudanese :wow: :scrutinize:

Reply #306020 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Analyze This,

Firstly, Majok was late to a game two weeks ago and nothing was mentioned in the media. He did it again the following week and Bevo spoke of it in the post match press conference. Perhaps he was asked why Majok played limited minutes and he gave an honest answer. In any case, being late for two games, then skipping a weights session, is the issue, nothing else.
Secondly, living an hour away from the gym would put his address outside the metro area. That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard one. I have no idea where he lives but I am sure it is not an hour away.
Thirdly, to try and say Bevo is trying to ruin a young players reputation is pathetic. It is totally inconsistent with his coaching philosophies, which any of his players will attest to, so it's clear the problem lies with one person only. He may have had some good games but he has also done some dumb things on court. That's fine, he is a young player and still learning, but he is not someone who is outplaying his opponents on a regular basis. I am sure that the "head games" will only be worse in Europe.

Reply #306024 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

So is he playing tonight or not?

Reply #306026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes.

Reply #306028 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

A friend of mine is an ESL teacher and has first hand experience of Sudanese students turning up late. She puts it down to "African time" etc ... taking the australian 'laid back' attitude to a whole new level. On one level you could say it's an endearing cultural trait, that time and rigid schedules and structure don't dominate African life. But in the modern Western world it won't get you too far ...

Reply #306033 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Though of course you can't tar all Sudanese or indeed African immigrants/refugees with the same brush

Reply #306034 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nz npc has the same problem with some Fijian rugby players.

Reply #306036 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I can't believe how warped some peoples opinions of Africans are. I put it down to you guys being in an industry where you get the lazy ones and that is forming your opinion of it. Every country has their lazy people. The Africans I know are engineers, doctors etc I see these people to be more hard working then Australians because they have come from absolutely nothing so they appreciate what they have here. My opinion maybe warped also as I only see the better ones however I think the truth is somewhere in the middle as with in all countries. Anyway I think Majok's race has nothing to do with his current attitude.

Reply #306038 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Ater is a bum plain and simple. Coach bevy is a great coach and u either do what he says or go. Just another guy thinking the nbl owes him something. Get rid of him and play trueman!!!

Reply #306039 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation

I understand that Bevo is a very good coach and is trying to establish a winning culture at Perth. That being said, the culture does not need to be established through the media. Speaking to some of my friends involved in management, they felt it was poor form by Bevo if he were not willing to immediately cut ties with Majok.
If he is late and it is unexcusable cut him and then address it in the media.
As for your statement that he has done some dumb things on the court, tell me what player on Perth have not. I think his contribution extrapolated on a per min basis is pretty impressive. As for him not outplaying his opponents on a consistent basis well he is not playing consistent minutes and the minutes he has played has been very productive. In 15 mins per game Majok is averaging: 7.8pts, 2.8 rebs, 2.5blks, shooting 50% from the field and 76.5% from the line. At 30min a game you are looking at a guy who could realistically avg 16ppg 6rebs, and 5 blocks. That's not counting how many shots he has altered and how many drives he has discouraged. Pretty solid numbers ( I wonder how it would compare to the other Perth post players). Of course the above situation is hypothetical ( he could be worse or better)but his numbers in Turkey were similar given the playing.
But once again, if he is late consistently and bring disharmony to your team and your program, send him packing. Just don't play it out like a soap opera in the press.

Reply #306077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

analyse this - you make some good points.
majok is a young kid in a new city....of course he isnt going to be familiar with perths traffic flows.
he still gets up before the rest of his team mates and works hard at training...he missed one weight session & was no more than 5 minutes late last friday night.

brad robbins is a snitch & this whole soap opera is a witch-hunt...they are painitng majok as a bad guy so it will be less controversial when they dump him & give his money to andre brown.

thes clearly an agenda here.....beveridge is obviously trying to make majok walk.

Reply #306192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bevo doesn't have to make Majok walk. Majok could just ask to be released and the Cats would comply if a player didn't want to be there.

If he was as good as his friends believe, the Cats would want him and play him more than 10 MPG. If they don't and aren't, there'd be a clear reason.

Reply #306199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would majok want to walk or ask for a release when he is committed to perth for the duration of his 6 week contract?
i havent heard him complain anywehre about the wildcats.perth might want him but wont take him over brown.
whatever his friends say, the skills and ability he has shown in the nbl since arriving in perth warrants more than 6 minutes a game.beveridge has said he has already had his punishment for whatever he did then gives him 6 minutes? coach has an agenda.
theres clearly some politics going on

Reply #306205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they know they arent keeping him so the sooner he goes, the less money they have to pay him.

Reply #306206 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why is Brad Robbins a snitch? Was he the only one who noticed him being late, or missing training? How does anyone know that he "snitched"?

Reply #306208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does beveridge attend weights sessions?

was brad robbins not on 10 news talking about it?

so many questions.

Reply #306209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The coach does have an agenda - win games by playing the best and most committed players. This is like Steve Leven 2.0.

Reply #306212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny you say that isaac - the coach has just lost his last two games by not playing one of his best performing players.both games have been very winnable too..no one can deny majoks impact in last sundays game, so i dont think a burning desire to win is beveridges motivation for not playing him.

the truth is majok is no less committed to any other player on the cats roster.

a 23 year old in a new town,lives 45 mins from the gym was caught in some traffic & missed one wieghts session.do you honestly think majok is the first player to miss a weights session since christmas?

dont pretend perth have these high & mighty standards either cos if they did - more than half the team would be in the same boat majok finds himself in now.

Reply #306220 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

People are reading too much into all of this IMO. Bevo has always been pretty up-front - probably moreso than we are used to from coaches - but what he says can usually be taken at face value.
He was quick to talk about the Majok issue when it happened, but he was equally quick to put it to bed when it was resolved.
He mentioned that Ater was going to get an opportunity to play the required role, and he did indeed get first half minutes.
He didn't get back on in the second half, so I don't think it's an unreasonable to assume that he didn't do what was expected. Zero rebounds in his 6:22 of playing time might be a clue as to what that is about.

Personally I thought he was effective enough in his minutes to get a second crack at it, but I'm obviously not privvy to what his assigned role was.

As for the Cats trying to get rid of him, that just seems a completely illogical accusation to me considering he was only intended to be here for 6 weeks right from the start anyway. His first couple of games were in December so that deadline is fast approaching. It is not in anyone's best interests to make things ugly for the sake of saving a couple of weeks.

Reply #306228 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What suburb does Majok live in? I'm struggling to think why he would live 45 minutes away from the city...unless people are exaggerating.

In any case, as he was late to games for two weeks in a row, then missed a weights session, when does the onus go to him to ensure things like that don't happen? Isn't the best way to make ammends for being late one week to make sure you don't repeat that mistake the next week?

Reply #306231 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation

You seem to have a good grip on "The Situation". Can you tell me how late he was for both games. One post said it was 5 minutes and the other report I heard was that the first game he was late for he was at the venue receiving treatment for his knee.
As I said the onus is should lie with the player and if it is not within the culture of the team, cut ties. Just don't play it out in the media. From a management perspective all you do is bring chaos to your team and focus away from the task at hand.
I didn't see the last game but was his 6 mins consecutive minutes in the 1st half. How long did he sit before getting in the game?
Another question: Could Majok leave and play for any other club in the NBL?

Reply #306300 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Not sure of the timing of the first game. The Cats didn't make it public - Tony Ronaldson mentioned it during the broadcast. He worded it in a way that made me take notice, but also wonder if he was using it as an expression, like "gone missing." I can't remember the specific words.
The next game was the first mention in the media and I believe it came from the post match interview. I suggested before that perhaps Bevo was asked the question why Majok didn't play big minutes for the second week in a row. If so, I appreciate the honest answer, and it doesn't seem like the Cats ran to the papers to tell on him.
The thirs time, when he skipped the weights session, it was an article in the paper about it, saying how he was sent home from practice in the arvo, and how Bevo questioned how seriously he was taking it. The next day or two, a follow up saying he attended a team bonding session the previous night, and also trained the house down, so all was forgiven.
I see what you mean about the media thing but if they immediately cut ties, they would get criticised for being harsh. If they keep him on but penalise him, then someone is going to ask why, and as I said, the honest answer is the best one.
I've read posts on here that he lives an hour away from the gym, then 45 minutes away. Even if true, which I highly doubt, it's still his issue to make sure he can get there on time. There have been a few embelishments I believe.

I didn't see last nights game but I think his 6 minutes came in one spell in the first half. the week before at home, I dont think he played until the seocnd half.

Reply #306306 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

The Situation, this is pure guesswork from me, so take it with a grain of salt. As you no doubt know, Challenge Stadium is in the centre of what are the most expensive suburbs in Perth; Peppermint Grove, Cottesloe, Subiaco, Floreat etc. Logistically it would make sense for Majok to live as close to the gym as possible but financially for a guy on a six week contract, it's probably unfeasable.

I also happen to know that there is a large contingent of African expatriates living in the Ballajura and Balga area which, again I'm sure you are aware, is 45 minutes from Challenge. This area has far cheaper rent also. Does he live here? I've no idea, but it seems a possible scenario to me.

Reply #306337 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm sure he doesn't live within walking distance of the stadium, and he could possibly live with some family or friends, but Balga isn't 45 minutes away from Mt Claremont. Even if it was, leave an hour before you need to be there, not 15 minutes so you arrive half an hour late.

Reply #306347 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

yeah, Balga's maybe 10 mins closer than Ballajura. I was just referring to the general area of town, Girrawheen etc.

And we are agreed on the main point, leave home with plenty of time up your sleeve, regardless of home address.

Reply #306351 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And if you're late, sick, etc phone the coach.

Reply #306363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he phoned the trainer & sent a text.

Reply #306377 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

To say what? He was late again?

Reply #306434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #306466 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation.

I noticed that you said in your above post that you said the following: "leave an hour before you need to be there, not 15 minutes so you arrive half an hour late."
Was Majok 1/2 hour late and do we know if he attempted to call Bevo and did not get through but did reach the trainer.
I believe that this whole situation has led to a lot of speculation.
This what happens when situations are played out in the media. Situations become speculations because of the lack of specifics.
From such a speculative situation we see ugly heads rise to blame a whole race or even a continent as being lazy. I would love to see Perth try to recruit the next Sudanese.

Reply #306467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The specifics were known to the Cats. You can't complain about something being played out in the media (it was covered by the media) but also complain about a lack of specifics.

The UConn exit had the same media and mystery angles. There's something in common.

Reply #306468 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Analyze This

"I noticed that you said in your above post that you said the following: "leave an hour before you need to be there, not 15 minutes so you arrive half an hour late."
Was Majok 1/2 hour late and do we know if he attempted to call Bevo and did not get through but did reach the trainer."

From memory, the "half an hour" was from the SECOND game he was late to. Someone here said it was closer to 5 minutes; the same person said that he lives an hour away from the gym. An hour away from the gym puts him outside the metro area. Sorry, but that person is under/overstating things to make a point.

In any case, in the space of 3 weeks, he was late to two games and missed a weights session. My point about timing was that even if he does live an hour away, leave home more than an hour early.

Reply #306477 | Report this post

bushwick bill  
Years ago

He wanted out of the cats to be available for the upcoming Nba allstar game....LOL......as the towel boy

Reply #306479 | Report this post

Stringer Bell  
Years ago

Bit rough to blanket Sudanese people with laziness....Matt Knight is from Tasmania you dont see him boffing his sister or eating at 2 for 1 restaurants

Reply #306500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has never wanted out of the cats.

he isnt the first nor will he be the last to miss a weights session at perth this season.

he has never been late to games either.

Reply #306504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the situation - he leaves home the same time every day.last week he was caught in traffic - it happens.

him being late for 2 games is a myth.
just didnt happen. he hasnt ever been late to a game in his entire career.

Reply #306505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey mrs majok, why did he leave college?

Reply #306506 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So the Wildcats completely made the issue up?

Reply #306507 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

And if he has never been late for a game, why even mention the traffic jam as an excuse?

Reply #306509 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

Isaac and The Situation

Isaac: Why can't I argue that from a management standpoint, do not distract your team by playing things out in the media or do not sabotage a young players career by playing things out in the media without specifics? I think it is fair enough to make those statement and part of the virtue of being Australian. Or do we become a speculative society based on situations that lack facts.

The Situation:
What specifics do YOU know and could you provide us a link to the newspaper quote on Bevo giving specifics about Majok being late to games. I saw the one where he missed a weight session but I have not seen something in the press where he was late to games.

Reply #306524 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

AT,

The first incident was not mentioned in the media at all. Tony Ronaldson mentioned it during the commentary of the Hawks game. I already said, he said something which made me take notice but nothing else was said.

That was the first time.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/8695604/cats-coach-puts-majok-on-notice/

The link I have from Ozhoops was posted on the 22nd of Jan. Unfortunately, the link takes you to a blank page from the West. A quote from the article;

"All of this came after Majok arrived at Challenge Stadium 30 minutes late for the team's pre-game preparation.
"We've got standards at our club and he came in away with the fairies," Beveridge said"

That was the second time.

Reply #306535 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The best and worse thing about Perth driving is the freeway. Some days I can be in the city is less than 20 minutes, some days with an accident or congestion it can take me 90 minutes.

But there is no way I am leaving 90 minutes early every day just in case.

And to suggest Majok should live close to the stadium - not really financially suitable unless he rents a 1 bedroom unit. I would imagine he would like to live with family, or be near other family & friends.

He certainly could live an hour from the stadium if you factor in traffic, or if he was catching public transport. Maybe only 20kms, but still easily up to an hour at the wrong time of day.

Reply #306539 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You're talking about driving in to the city during peak hour, between 7-7.30 and 9am, right?

Reply #306542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Majok also copped it for his disinterested play in a game at around that time. Bevo has an impressive coaching reputation and would not be mentioning these things if he didn't honestly think they were a problem.

If Majok's friends think there is some agenda and that is at all reflective of his own opinion of the situation, I think that will prove to be a negative for his career.

Reply #306556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think using the term "career" when talking about this fella is getting ahead of yourself.

Reply #306604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

situation your wrong - tony ronaldson word is far from gospel & you have misquoted beveridge.
beveridge himself never said majok was late for a game...he just said he came in away with the fairies & the team has standards...the 30 minutes late comment was thrown in by the author & not part of coachs quote.

ever wondered why the article is no longer online?if i had to guess id say its because you cant publish false claims about people willy nilly.

also just because something is in the paper it does not mean it is true.(since its no longer in the paper i guess it isnt true)

the traffic jam is not an excuse - its just the fact.
he missed the weights session due to heavy traffic.not the first this season to miss weights & wont be the last.he has since apologised to the team & coach.

he has never been late to a game in his career.thats also a fact.

isaac - your right...beveridge was concerned with majoks focus one game a couple of fridays ago against the crocs i think...nothing to do with being late to a game however...so he was away with the fairies one night & missed a weights session.never been late to one game let alone 2.

Reply #306621 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

Anonymous:

Thanks for the FACTUAL assessment of the situation. I remember as a child we used to play Chinese Whispers. That is why I have been so insistent on the facts.
Fact 1: Majok was not as focused as he wanted for 1 game.
Fact 2: Majok missed 1 morining weight session because he was caught in a traffic jam.
Fact 3: Majok has averaged, before his 6 min outing, approximately 8pts on about 50% fg shooting, 3 rebs, 2.5 blks (lead the league) and 75% from the line ALL IN 15 MINS PER GAME.
Fact 4: Majoks defensive presence has saved the Wildcats on more than one occassion in crucial situations.

Some have said his going for blocks from the weakside gives up offensive rebounds. The majority of the time, if it is a block it is sent away from the rim. Also, Bevo being the experienced coach will have his players wedge on the rotation for the reb (similar to trapping rotations in U14 basketball).

Majok is out of here in a week or so. He is probably not going to play much given that he is not staying. The question is, do you like the Denver Nuggets with Carmelo Anthony, milk him for all his worth to win games or do you start preparing for life without his presence? For those who would want to jump on me for mentioning Melo and Majok in the same paragraph, I am not saying they are of the same level or importance to their team at all. Majok is a game changer on the defensive end. He does not rebound at a high clip as he should but luckily Perth has rebounding guards.

Reply #306633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fact 5: He only played 6 minutes in the last game.

They're not winding down his minutes to prepare for life without him. He played 6 minutes because the coach thought they were a better chance of winning without him. They're not saving him up for the next game, or trying not to get too dependent on him. They were certainly playing Brown before they had an extended contract with him.

He needs to find out from the coach what he can do to be the sort of player that Perth would beg to have for a season, and don't half-hear it or only listen to the easy parts, but work hard to become that person.

I suspect he has a bit of a circle around him (friends/feedback loop) or a personality/mentality that could be stopping him from achieving his REAL potential. Not the sports-rhetoric-in-interviews or post-motivational-quotes-on-Twitter stuff, his true ceiling. The sort of work that would see out time at UConn, be a bit more realistic about where he's going, and make him indispensable to the NBL or other leagues rather than only getting six minutes on a team who've lost their three best bigs!

Because, yes, he changes shots and shows good signs.

Reply #306637 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

AT,

How do you know that assessment is factual? Because if suits your story?

The FACT is, Ronaldson mentioned he was late to a game. Are we really going to suggest that a commentator just made something up for no apparent reason? Or do we think there is some truth to it?

As far as the online article goes, unless anon was at the press conference, who is he to say that Bevo didn't say that, and someone just made it up? That would mean that two people, in the space of two weeks, just "made up" some stuff for the hell of it. Does that seem likely?

The only thing I know to be FACT is that Majok does not live anywhere close to 45 minutes to an hour away from the gym. I'd give it 15 minutes max on a clear run. If he was stuck in traffic, then why did he miss the session? Did the traffic jam cause him to be stuck for over an hour (assuming the weights session went for at least an hour)?

I'm not saying the guy needs to be hung, drawn and quartered for what he has done, and I consider the matter over, but if the guy has messed up, it does nothing for people to blow smoke up his arse and make out that everyone is to blame by inventing unlikely conspiracy theories, or by making out the team captain is a snitch.

Reply #306642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has done wrong and put up his hand and apologised.
coach should be hard on all his guys but majok hasnt done anything worse than what others have done this season yet people are talking about him being released and making generalisatinos about the sudanese community.thats not helpful.

as for the snitching part - if beveridge doesnt attend weights sessions, who told him majok missed a session?

situtation - it had to be pointed out that beveridge was never quoted as saying majok was late to a game.
you posted a quote that said he did which isnt accurate.

isaac - i reckon your right about his loop.if you want to know why he left uconn, people should put the blow torch to his former coach edward smith aswell as asking majok some questions himself.

Reply #306653 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I know he has done wrong and put his hand up. I think I said last week that the matter is closed. The only reason its still going on is because people are saying the whole thing was made up because he lives and hour away and every single thing is the Cats fault, for running to the media, but not giving enough sepcifics.

Who cares who told Bevo? The guy didn't turn up. If a co-captain chooses to do nothing then he is fulfilling his role properly, especially as there were clearly issues before the missed weights session.

Reply #306657 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

On the missed weights session, did he decide that because the traffic jam was too big to turn around and go home? If I'm on my way to work and the traffic is heavy, I don't turn around and go home, I turn up late. But he never turned up!

What street was he on?

Reply #306659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty sure I read an article citing Bevo talking about Majok being late for pre-game. That's 'late for a game' in NBL terms IMO.

On UConn, one person made the decision to leave. Any circle of family, advisors, former coaches, etc are only ever putting in their two cents.

Reply #306664 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't understand how a traffic jam caused him to miss the weights session all together. If I'm on my way to work and the traffic is bad, I don't turn around and go home. I arrive to work late.

What street was the traffic jam on, or in which area?

Reply #306665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who knows what street.
he didnt turn around and go home.
he was very early for the training he got tossed out of though...he has apologised for whatver happened in between.

isaac - i dont think its as clear cut as that regarding him leaving uconn..majok wanted to stay..from reading comments about it, it sounds like his hand was forced..theres a bit of material about majoks reps (edward smith/uconn ast coaches) being involved with a dodgy agent called josh nochimson..so i reckon his departure was surrounding some potential recruiting violoations, corruption and possibly blackmail..personally it think majok is guilty of being a little too trusting and a bit naive.

Reply #306770 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So why didn't he make it to the weights session then? How does a traffic jam force you to not turn up?

And when you say he wasn't late for the games, do you mean tip-off, or the pre-game meetings?

Reply #306785 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation:

In my post, 4 facts that are true. You have posted that you know for a FACT that Majok does not live 45 mins to an hour from the gym. Where does he live? What time is morning weight sessions?
What exactly did Tony Ronaldson say? Did Ronaldson say that he heard it from Bevo or the Wildcats organization? Did Bevo or the Wildcats say he was late 30 mins to a game or 5 mins? Were they specific with the times?

Reply #306792 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Majok posted a pic through his twitter about 6 weeks ago. The picture was taken from Observation City in Scarborough Beach. The caption of the picture said "my new home" or something. That place is 15 minutes max from the gym.

You have not posted 4 facts. You have chosen to believe two facts that suit your argument that he has been hard done by. The other two "facts" are irrelevant statements about his on court performances - nothing to do with him breaking team rules.

I believe I have answered your questions regarding Ronaldson and Bevo numerous times. No, they haven't been more specific. If they had have been more specific, you'd accuse them of handling the saga through the media.

Reply #306794 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

Isaac:

Fact 6 - Perth lost their last 2 games

Fact 7: Perth was 4-1 before Andre Brown Era. Perth is 1-2 in the Andre Brown Era. Perth was 5-1 with Ater playing more than 15 mins (except in blowouts of Hawks and Crocs). In the 1 loss against the Tigers he had 10pts 4 rebounds, and 5 blocks in 18 mins.

Why would Majok have to beg for Perth to have him stay when he can get offers in Europe? There are many talented Australians playing in Europe and making good money. Some started in the 2nd division and worked their way up. Some even earned more money in the 2nd division than in the NBL.

Isaac, unless you are Bevo, you and I can't say for a FACT what he is thinking by reducing Majoks minutes. We do know that Perth has lost the last 2 games. Now that is a fact of life.

Reply #306795 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Considering Perth has lost their last two games, its a pity that Majok couldn't get his head right to make sure he would be more of a contributor. He only has himself to blame for letting his team down.

Reply #306796 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation:

My 4 facts are true:

Fact 1: Majok was not as focused as he wanted for 1 game. (this was said by Bevo)
Fact 2: Majok missed 1 morining weight session because he was caught in a traffic jam.(this was in the newspaper and covered by media)
Fact 3: Majok has averaged, before his 6 min outing, approximately 8pts on about 50% fg shooting, 3 rebs, 2.5 blks (lead the league) and 75% from the line ALL IN 15 MINS PER GAME.(this attest to his productivity in relation to his playing time and in relation to other post about his effectiveness in the league)
Fact 4: Majoks defensive presence has saved the Wildcats on more than one occassion in crucial situations.(refer to above productivity analysis)

My response are not only to you as I have also spoken about how some posters are viewing the Sudanese race.

The Majok picture was from when he first arrived. Do you know for a FACT that he still resides at this address.

Fact 9: I have never said that Majok was hard done by. I have even said that if he has broken team rules that ties should be cut. I have also spoken about basic management principles regarding the media which could lead to an analysis of what is the organization purpose of using the media.

If Bevo and Ronaldson had been more specific, then I wouldn't be asking for you or other posters to tell me the facts. Your post seem very factual. I think I have more than separtated my opinion from fact.

Reply #306797 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation:
Once again, how do you know that Majok head was not right? By all accounts from Bevo, he made amends and practiced hard and was early for practice. He also attended a team bonding session where all was good. These seem like facts coming from the coach.
Is your statement that he couldn't get his head right fact or opinion?

Reply #306798 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

This thread is turning into an all time classic.

Reply #306805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every thread regarding this bloke is a classic, I contibuted heavily towards his joke of aseason last year, and was labled racist! He must have a few mates who get on here if not himself.(Although because most comments are written correctly I dont think its Ater)

Reply #306806 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

Anonymous:

Is his season at Perth this year a joke of a season? Why did you see his last season at UCONN as a joke. How were his statistical numbers in comparison to other ranked players at his position who were freshmen playing in any of the major conferences in the United States. Were your analysis based on fact or mere conjecture?
I enjoy the show media watch. Usually you have to find out what is fact or not. So what are your facts, statitically and also within analysis of all his games played and his effect on those games, based on?
Please do tell? Then maybe we can put those claims of bias to rest.

Reply #306811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are not being serious are you? This whole thread is becoming one giant piss take!

Reply #306816 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

AT,

How do you know he wasn't late for the games?

How do you explain missing a weights session completely, when most people are just late becuase of heavy traffic?

Reply #306825 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Fact 2: Majok missed 1 morining weight session because he was caught in a traffic jam.(this was in the newspaper and covered by media)"

Please post the link that says he couldn't make it due to a traffic jam.

Reply #306829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joke of a season basis

Ater Majok Stat Summary:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2009-10 26 14.731 2.269 42.4 0.0 40.9 0.154 3.038 1.615 0.154

Analyze THAT!

Reply #306844 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

Anonymouth Joke of a Season Basis Analyze That!

Sure I will take a crack at it. Below are the statistic of the McDonalds All Americans forwards and centers from the class of 2009 which Majok was in. These players played comprable mins to Majok. I have left of DeMarcus Cousins, Alex Oriakhi, and Tiny Gallon as their mins were higher. I have also left of Ryan Kelly who is having a great 2nd year at Duke as his min were very low.I have also left of Renardo Sidney as he is just playing now. Majok's productivity is very similar to these players who were highly ranked. He is having a similar 2nd year, playing professionally, as many of these players who remain in college. I think the Wilcats would compare to a high level college team. I guess all of these players are jokes and so are their coaches and you are the smart one in the bunch.

David Wear
G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
27 10.4 1.1 2.6 43.7 0.3 0.6 50.0 0.3 0.6 56.3 0.6 1.0 1.7 0.4 0.7 0.3 0.1 0.7 2.9

Travis Wear
32 10.1 1.3 3.3 41.3 0.1 0.2 33.3 0.7 1.0 74.2 1.1 1.0 2.2 0.2 0.8 0.3 0.1 1.1 3.5

Milton Jenning
32 11.2 1.3 3.3 37.4 0.2 1.1 17.1 0.6 0.9 64.3 1.0 1.7 2.7 0.5 0.8 0.5 0.3 1.3 3.3

Mason Plumlee
34 14.1 1.4 3.1 46.2 0.1 0.2 25.0 0.7 1.4 54.3 1.1 1.9 3.1 0.9 0.9 0.5 0.9 2.1 3.7

Dante Taylor
34 13.9 1.5 2.6 58.4 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.8 57.4 1.8 1.9 3.7 0.1 0.5 0.4 0.6 1.6 4.1
John Henson
37 15.8 2.4 4.9 48.6 0.1 0.5 22.2 0.9 2.0 43.8 1.6 2.8 4.4 0.9 1.2 0.7 1.6 1.1 5.7

Wally Judge
36 11.7 1.2 2.7 43.8 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.7 58.1 1.2 1.8 3.0 0.3 0.9 0.1 0.5 2.6 3.3

Reply #306869 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation:
I have not said Majok was not late for a game. I have relied on you to provide me with the facts.
I cannot explain why he entirely missed a weight training session and will not attempt to unless I have the FACTS. This was one of my initial responses:

You seem to have a good grip on "The Situation". Can you tell me how late he was for both games. One post said it was 5 minutes and the other report I heard was that the first game he was late for he was at the venue receiving treatment for his knee.
As I said the onus is should lie with the player and if it is not within the culture of the team, cut ties.

THE ONUS SHOULD LIE ON THE PLAYER....CUT TIES.

What I have challenged is what is fact and what is opinion.

Reply #306872 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ok, so what you really wanted to hear was the specifics of how much he was late by, the required time he was meant to arrive, whatever circumstances he gave as excuses, and how Bear came to know he was late?

Reply #306875 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"What I have challenged is what is fact and what is opinion."

Ok then, my opinion is that he was late to two games and missed a training session. The reason this is my opinion is because I heard Bear say it, then Bevo say it, then the news report that he missed the weights session. I see no reason that any of them would make that up.

My opinion is that some of the anon posters who are saying that Majok was never late to a game, and missed the weights session because of a traffic jam, are bending the truth because they aren't able to explain the story behind it ie how does a traffic jam make someone not show up for work, or that Bear just made it up for no reason.

Those comments are my opinion, and the reasons why I came to form that opinion.

Reply #306876 | Report this post

Analyze This  
Years ago

The Situation:

Fair enough and case closed!

Reply #306880 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

We can only hope.....

Reply #306882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hook Line And ......................

Reply #306884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the situtation,stop saying you heard bevo say he was late to a game when you didnt..bevo never said he was late.he said he came in away with the fairies.
the links you posted have now been taken down.
majok isnt innocent at all in all of this but him being late to two games is a complete myth.

him missing a weights session is a fact.
its also a fact that other cats players have missed sessions this season.

it was reported he was 30 minutes late to one game.
this was never quoted by ronaldson or beveridge...if bear said that then he is simply wrong.
its a number thats been plucked out of think air.

the point is - just because people in the media say something - doesnt mean its 100% accurate.

Reply #306941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This was written today:

But his stint in Perth has been riddled with off-court indiscretions, which came to a head last week when he was read the riot act after missing a compulsory weights session without notifying club staff.

Reply #306999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so riddled = one missed weights session now.

its interesting how the author of that article is no longer speaking of majok being late for games.
wonder why

Reply #307177 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Because he hasn't been late to games since the final straw?

Reply #307180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the article is speaking about his time at perth being riddled with indiscretions but didnt mention anything about him being late for any games.they talked about the weights session & him saying he would prefer to play in sydney.i was wondering why there was no mention of the games he was meant to be 30 minutes late to.ill take a guess and say its because those games didnt exist.

Reply #307191 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

When you say late for games, are you talking about arriving after tip off, or the pre game meetings etc?

Reply #307213 | Report this post

Analyze Break  
Years ago

He must be practicing because his time went from 6 mins to 14 mins in the last game. Once again one of the most productive players on a per min basis with 11pts, 6 rebs, and 1 block in 14 mins. I would really love to see what he could do by playing 30 mins or more. His numbers are better on a per min basis than Brown who has played in the NBA and has a wealth of experience overseas.

Andre Brown 4 103:06 18 - 35 51.4 0 - 0 0.0 5 - 9 55.6 4.0 3.5 7.5 0.3 0.8 0.8 3.3 3.3 10.3
Ater Majok 8 110:08 21 - 41 51.2 0 - 0 0.0 18 - 23 78.3 1.5 1.3 2.8 0.4 0.5 2.0 0.8 2.0 7.5

Reply #307275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they lost again.

Reply #307276 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yes, Majok should have definitely been on the court more, especially in the final few minutes. He deserved a shot based on his efforts and intensity.

I've changed my tune - I'd rather keep Majok and piss Brown off.

Reply #307281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on majok.
nice way to bounce back after a rough couple of weeks.
11pt & 6rebs were season highs for him.

although it was reported that last night was his last game - i beleive he will be travelling to NSW with the team this week.

Reply #307308 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is that in case Wagstaff doesn't make it back from his injury, or is Brown not signed as the other replacement yet?

Reply #307315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think brown has officially signed on yet but i reckon its to cover in case wagstaff isnt 100%.

Reply #307319 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754