Red
Years ago

Wildcats vs 36ers, Feb 20

No Howard for 36ers.

Knight to suit up.

MUST win for Cats.

36ers have won all 3 games against the cats this season, is it the Radford factor?

Topic #25008 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Red, I think so. Perth are the one team we've consistently had an edge over.

Wildcats $1.24, line is -8.
Adelaide $4.05

Reply #308811 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Issac. Well he would certainly know Bevo's game plans & the strengths & weakness of the players.
I think the cats will get this one, they would know they can not lose any more games at home.

Reply #308816 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

Wildcats by 30!!!

Reply #308820 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

Not expecting Sixers to win after being 12 points up at 3/4 time,wildcats on revenge after losing 3 games to them under 5points each game.

Reply #308839 | Report this post

TL47  
Years ago

Any tv or radio coverage please anyone?

Reply #308842 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shannon, Carter, Hill, Holmes and Ballinger starting again for Adelaide. Howard has been left in Adelaide (injured) and Daly has instead travelled with the team.

Reply #308844 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/sportfm913

Reply #308850 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Years ago

yeah its on online radio here is the link
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/sportfm913
enjoy the game

Reply #308851 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

good to see that were 15mins into the game and our center has seen 3 and a half mins

Reply #308852 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Years ago

27 points at half time they have 22 just in the paint keep them out boys

Reply #308855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

+/- at the half:

HOME TEAM
Stephen Weigh: 10
Damian Martin: -2
Kevin Lisch: 7
Jesse Wagstaff: 2
Andre Brown: 1
Cameron Tovey: -2
Matthew Knight: 6
Brad Robbins: 10
Drew Williamson: 1
Jeremiah Trueman: 7

ROAD TEAM
Adam Ballinger: 0
Brad Hill: 2
Jacob Holmes: 1
Eddie Shannon: -5
Aaron Bruce: -10
Rhys Carter: 1
Mitchell Creek: -10
Daniel Johnson: -11
Jeff Dowdell: -6
Tom Daly: -2

Reply #308858 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Once again the same old shambles with the coach not playing DJ after a good game last week.
Seriously Clark change things up of just bloody leave.

13 turnovers, they have TEN steals!!!

no second chance points, no points of turnovers despite them having 8.

According to Isaac's plus minus notion we shouldnt be playing Ballinger..who has 13 points, so I still dont get how those are supposed to work.

Reply #308860 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Err not his +/- above, the seasons avg in another post..he got those up just before my reply lol

Reply #308861 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

I just have no idea what he is doing with his rotations.

Reply #308864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just have no idea what he is doing with his rotations."

Every kid wins a prize? Clarke's really struggling adapting to coaching pros.

Reply #308868 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Wildcats by 30!!!

Gotta luv that LS.

I dont think 36ers would lose by that much, however given the fact that the first unit sucked on friday night, thinks perhaps you might be right.

Reply #308871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have to presume that dj must have done something wrong ie.. training or whatever.... because after friday nights game you would think he would be the preferred option to jeff... bit weird that dj sits out this long after friday

Reply #308873 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah, same old sh%t different day. Makes you proud to be South Australian

Reply #308875 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

And the Wheels fall off completely. Im looking forward to knowing how Clark will blame everyone else for this loss as well as the others.

Reply #308876 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Ballinger playing well but like most games this season the opposition big man is lighting us up.
Cant blame Ballinger or DJ their strengths are offense,we really needed to keep Burston this season to play the defensive role.

Reply #308881 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

Double OT on the Gold Coast

Reply #308889 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

6 players with a total of 75 minutes playing time for only 3 points???!!

Reply #308891 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

I am going to go close just hope Perth go for percentage

Reply #308893 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

No such luck LS. The second team is on for Perth.

Reply #308897 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

either Adelaide are doing something wrong or the refs were bad, as Adelaide have had 6 free throws for the game

Reply #308899 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Dougys - I wondered about that but the sixes had 23turnovers, which creates a lot of situations that can result in fouls. Perth only had 8 or so turnovers.

Reply #308904 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Out rebounded, Wildcats have 15 steals! in total sofar 23 turnovers. We have doubled their foul count, which is odd since we were even at the half, so most likely just sloppyness trying to get back into the game. Once again we have 2 second chance points compared to their 15!!

Seriously looking at the shots Ballinger should have just been given the ball every play lol. 3/3 three's, appart from Shannon hiting 2/5 noone else hit 1. To have people say we should get rid of Balls, think of the scoreline today if we had. take away his 17 points and 7 rebounds..almost a 1/3 of both of those for the total team.

Are the players playing anymore?? There were rumours of discontent of the playing staff with Clark, to lose by 20 points against a team we have beaten every game this season I wonder how many just give up playing for him.

Reply #308905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Full-time +/-:

HOME TEAM
Stephen Weigh: 16
Damian Martin: 6
Kevin Lisch: 16
Jesse Wagstaff: 8
Andre Brown: 9
Cameron Tovey: 4
Matthew Knight: 19
Brad Robbins: 14
Drew Williamson: 4
Jeremiah Trueman: 6
Greg Hire: -2
Jarrad Prior: 0

ROAD TEAM
Adam Ballinger: -15
Brad Hill: -7
Jacob Holmes: -4
Eddie Shannon: -18
Aaron Bruce: -14
Rhys Carter: -1
Mitchell Creek: -14
Daniel Johnson: -12
Jeff Dowdell: -8
Tom Daly: -7

Reply #308906 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Skid - but what if you replace Ballinger with a 17-7 player who gives you tougher defense? Is that worth considering?

Reply #308907 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Another loss and you know? I had it pencilled in!

Reading the stats I reckon youd say, BIG CHANGES next year or supporters might drop by the waist side

Reply #308908 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

no Peter, I would put a centre in their who provides it instead

Reply #308909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't we have that last year Skud, and 3 years ago come to think of it?

Reply #308911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget that 3 years ago thing, just re-read the comment.

Reply #308912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skud, I posted an explanation of +/- in that thread so you can get an idea of what it might mean or not mean. It's a column included in NBA boxscores but not directly available to fans in the NBL (most NBL teams probably have it available).

Here's the NBA's players ranked by aggregate +/-. Player vs player, it will favour the best players on the best teams. In this case, I am just ranking the players within the team, not against other teams (who might be more successful).

82games.com (NBA stats site) calls it the Roland Rating though they have their raw +/- adjusted with off-court info to compare players between teams. From that page:

Now this rating isn't an absolute measure of a player's ability, but it does represent how successful a player is with a given team. In general the player with the best Roland Rating on a team is the difference maker (exclude the guys who play a statistically insignificant number of minutes). When the top guy is on the floor the team performs at a much higher level.

Reply #308915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just pointing out the last time we made the playoffs was the year we had both Balls & Schenscher as our starting centre.

We were hamstrung by a number of things that season too a) big financial problems at the club, b) the Hodge fiasco, c) Ninnis and d) a role player like Bruce on big money.

Reply #308916 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

Now to all those people that want DJ to get more time he had 15 minute scored 4 points got 1 rebound......... Stats don't lie :-))

And if you are going to complain about the ten man rotation the breakers do it too and it works for them only difference is they have NBL level players.

Reply #308918 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Now to all those people that want DJ to get more time he had 15 minute scored 4 points got 1 rebound......... Stats don't lie :-))"

I want DJ to have more time because if we arent chasing another centre, we need him to be more bloody usefull next year. DJ also scored 16 points last game, and sadly enough with 4 points this game..isnt the only non performer.

Isaac I dont know if anyone else if having trouble but Im getting alot of timeouts refreshing hoops

Reply #308919 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Will Clarke be emailing everyone telling us we are going in the right direction again?

Reply #308922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what impact does a coach have on the swing between home record and away record?

Reply #308923 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

Skud if DJ got 30 minutes and produced those stats you would bag Clarke for leaving him on for so long, give court time to the guys that are performing and that can change on any given night

None of them are performing

Reply #308931 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ugh.

I...

Ugh.

Got nothing. This is ridiculous. Stubborn is one thing... but damn.

Reply #308953 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Skud if DJ got 30 minutes and produced those stats you would bag Clarke for leaving him on for so long"

No LS right now I wouldnt, DJ is not consistant at all but he needs to become so very quickly. As alot of other people have agreed with now that the season is effectively gone DJ needs court time to make him more useful next year. DJ is signed for several seasons and for him to be useful at all we need maximum court time for him now.

Reply #308957 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

Not if they pay out his contract and set him loose

Reply #308965 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Which we may well end up doing LS, but wouldnt you still say that we need to give him the minutes to show whether or not he can rise to the job?

Reply #308972 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Got nothing left to say!
We are in trouble and struggling.
Not sure if you can only blame the coach but he has got to do something?

Reply #308977 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

God never even thought of the idea of paying him out and getting someone new that way! Im actually excited at the notion, bloke is a space cadet, put him in the same hype basket as Ben Allen IMO

Reply #308980 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You can't blame the coach for us being out-rebounded, giving up 23 turnovers.

Reply #308988 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why not Bizzy? Our only center played 15 minutes

Reply #309011 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

and got 1 rebound

Reply #309017 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

skud DJ has had all season to show his worth, the coach has obviously lost confidence or run out of patience with him.

get the cheque book out

Reply #309018 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

The 3 Year Plan:-

Year 1: Finish as close to last as possible.
Year 2: ???
Years 3: Profit. I mean win the title.

Reply #309021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Loco using misc memes

Reply #309026 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

LS the coach has lost patience with him when he got 16 points and 8 rebounds on friday in 25 minutes? Sounds like a great coach.

Reply #309034 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Ok, I don't know why all you 36ers fans are hating on Clarke and blaming him for being married to the bottom of the ladder yet again this year. Look at what he has got to work with! Now I know he was the one who put this team together but surely he and management need to work together to get the right guys in place to win.

DJ is not a starting center in this league, for a guy his size he is an exceptionally poor rebounder, interior defender and communicator, 3 things you need from your big unit. He can score in bunches but if he isn't doing this, what is he giving you?

Holmes, always thought this guy was vastly over rated. Talks a mean game but doesn't really back it up. Says all the right things to the coaches but when it comes down to it, he is an over-utilised, undersized, unathletic 4 who hasn't improved since U/20's when he was meant to be the next big thing in Aussie Basketball.

Ballinger is a 4 and one of the top stretch 4 men in the league. He can shoot the ball and take smaller 4's to the block. He needs to be more of a presence on D but as a naturalised Aussie you can't get much better there. Quit hating on the guy playing out of position at the 5.

Your imports STINK, the first two STUNK as well. Don't know what some NBL teams do with their recruiting but wow, there are some bad ones out there this year. Pick your poison with Winder or Howard they are both bad. DeVries is great value as a local but as an import??? Shannon really is just your run of the mill PG, who I think is over the hill after his success in Europe. If he's that good why isn't he still playing over there? More research needed on guys who will suit the Australian style of game, not just whose highlight tapes look A-grade.

Aaron Bruce, Brad Hill? Dead weight, two space cadets. Bruce is overpaid and was 2 years ago as wel. The guy is a pretty boy turnover machine, who would rather prance trying to look like steve nash than Aaron Bruce. Brad Hill while athletic and has had a solid year by his standards is a spot minutes impact guy off the bench. He kid isn't the shapest tool in the shed and really struggles with team defensive concepts and keeping his man in front of him on the dribble.

Creek is a prospect but you all here thought he was the one who was going to turn around a faltering season. He's still a rookie! Name the last rookie to save a sinking ship and carry his team to the playoffs? I'll throw around Newley, Ingles etc but those guys are at another level to this kid. And while they had solid rookie campaigns both had good vets around them to guide their development.

If you get what I'm saying here, the 36ers never had the horses from the start to contend this season. Not enough size, vets, smarts, leadership. Poorly constructed roster who really don't play hard and get after people the way Clarke wants them too. They just don't have the capability to do it. Management really does need to take a long hard look at this roster over the next 6-8 weeks and blow it up for next year. Only guys who should be around are Carter, Ballinger and Creek. If you want to contend in this so called '3 year plan' cut some dead weight and the losing culture of the club.

Reply #309037 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I happen to think Bruce is oour best prospect at the point. Offensively & defensively we looked much better with him on the court on Friday night. His defence was great, always pestering the opposition and always in their face - you couldnt fault him for that on Fri night.

He started to look bad and turn the ball over later in the game when he was trying to force plays....unfortunately for him, his team mates werent moving to the right spots for him, heck, they werent really moving at all.

Give him a good pre season under Clarke and I think we will have a very decent point guard!

Reply #309049 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm still confused as to the recruiting process.

If we had Herbet, Carter, Ng and Daly, why did we go after two more guards twice this season?

Why not get at least one big man as pretty much everyone recommended?

It's not just a 20/20 hindsight thing - this was the concern since pre-season.

Reply #309056 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The Truth you just proved that he is a bad coach by saying he picked the wrong players. Schenscher would have made a huge difference. Townsville are second and have a similar team to ours however the difference is they have a better coach that can get the most out of his team! Johnson started for the Tigers and did very well.

Tornado, Bruce's stats of 6ppg, basically 1 assist per turnover and 35% shooting suggest otherwise.

Reply #309057 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

King James, I am looking at Bruce's ability as opposed to his stats in a season where he really wasnt expecting to play and thus had no match fitness etc amongst other things.

Can you give me the stats for Carter for this season and please also post minutes played?

Stats arent everything either. If you watched most of the games Bruce has played his turnovers are because he is trying to force plays because his team mates are not and are just standing around waiting for something to happen.....unfortunately when he tries, they all stand around and watch him rather than moving to help him!

For him to come in and play at an elite level without having played for 18 months and for him to perform like he has is a credit to his ability!

Reply #309064 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Only seen a few games this season on TV so can only rely on match reports and comments on this forum to have any sort of feel for this year.

What I have picked up is that there is NO compulsion to have 2 imports in your team. It would seem that it would make more sense to spend the $$ for these imports on the best available Australian talent that has proven over a number of years that they can perform at a consistently high level.

Realistically, 8 players should play the bulk of the minutes, so spend you money accordingly, the other slots are for development players or lower rated/priced back up players.

Balance the team with what is required to be competive consistently by position. It is far too obvious this season that the balance of the team is out, regardless if Johnson had a 20 ppg, 10 rpg - there is no back up centre.

Solve this problem and part of the battle is won. In theory, Schenscher or Burston at Centre backed up by Johnson, would have made a huge difference to the balance of the team and the results. It also would have been a great learning experience for Johnson to have an experienced bigman to train with.

As for the rest of the team, rate the Australian talent throughout the league by position, work out what it is going to cost to get these people and recruit accordingly.

Reply #309070 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Not Burston - not after his antics Friday night. Cheap shot artist with no class. Who throws a ball at the crowd?

That REALLY fired me up - only Holmes said anything to him afterwards... as usual.

Wish we had the sort of spine and fire we all enjoyed during the Davis era.

Reply #309073 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We're frustrated with imports and there are advantages to taking strong Australian players instead of imports, but the top teams all have two imports. Would be a gamble as one of the bottom teams to rely on the strategy working when no one else is doing it.

Reply #309074 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Loco I wish the guy that caught the ball pegged it back at his head. What about if the ball had hit some kid in the head. I don't know how the NBL lets him get away with that

Reply #309077 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Burston played with a bit of passion and aggression we certainly cant have that at Sixers.
Yeah he was wrong but I am sick of seeing team get pushed around, beaten for rebounds , loose balls , brushed past as though not there .

Reply #309083 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It was weird, as he sort of checked himself as if he thought better of it, wound up and launched the ball 20 rows back.

If that had hit a kid or baby or something... how did he get off scott free?

How did none of the Sixers fire up?

We've been way too soft for far too long IMO. Started with Goorj teams beating us up. Refs were no help, so we just laid down. Disappointing.

Reply #309085 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Isaac - it certainly hasnt worked for the 36ers with imports this season so would we be any worse off spending the same money on better Aussie content?

Reply #309090 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends who's around. If it's a Gibson or Schenscher or Davidson, that's one thing. If a Hoare, Corletto, etc, that's another. Will be competitive for players.

Reply #309104 | Report this post

Had Enuff  
Years ago

Okay, I've officially had enuff of Clarke. After going to every home game for the last 10+ years, I'm really starting to dread fronting up each weak to lose games we just shouldn't be losing.. Marty, wake up, your rotations are just plain stupid, not to mention treating our players like under 8 boys.
For the first time in a long time, I'm questioning if I'm going to part with my cash next season.

Reply #309129 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

You know the biggest sign that the clubs loosing members right now..only 60ish replies to this thread 3 days after the game. Generally and Isaac could be more specific Im used to scrolling through 90-100 within a day!!

SOS listen to the supporters please, like your coach hasnt.

Reply #309135 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

There were 100+ replies to the Adelaide v Melbourne thread and if you combine the "SOS to do list", "how far off the top 4 are the 36ers" and "Back where we belong- Thanks Clarke" and this thread you once again get some 100+ posts that generally discuss the same issues. It all gets a bit tiring after a while when you are essentially reading the same posts under different thread title.

Reply #309146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754