skip
Years ago

36ers vs Tigers, tonight March 18

Final home game for the 36ers tonight and like most people out there, I feel desperate for a win to finish off the year.

Surprisingly, we are quite healthy favourites according to sportingbet.com.au.
Adelaide - $1.52
Melbourne - $2.50

Yet we are paying $2.85 to win by under 10, which I quite like the look of.

Homicide is the man we have to shut down, but I recent form it's hard to see who can carry out that job succesfully.

Hopefully we can see a bit of a break of performance from Creek. With Tragardh out and Walker Im told is only a 50/50 to play, we should have the upper hand in front court (I hope).

Topic #25208 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Spoken to a few regulars who aren't bothering to go tonight...bit of a shame that even some season ticket holders have lost interest. I wonder what plan Clarke will run tonight? - "run small and lose big" (Boti)

Reply #312188 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm going after missing the last Melbourne game. Hope we see a light at the end of the 2010/11 tunnel (and it's not the sun shining out of Homicide's arse).

Reply #312189 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Melbourne good odds at $2.50. Might throw some money on them as I cannot see Adelaide winning.

Reply #312194 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I think we will get this one. After the last 2 home games the boys should be fired up. 36ers by 7.

Reply #312195 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Im with No Deal, i think we will grab this one because of how bad the last few games have been, and seeing as we have no chance of making finals or anything that is when we tend to win and not so much in the pressure situations. sixers by 5

Reply #312197 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

im really hoping we can get the W end the last home game on a good note

Reply #312198 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne by 4 I reckon...but it will be close in any case. Healthy odds for a Melbourne win IMO.

Reply #312203 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

With no Tragardh and it being the last home game I think we will win by 8.

Reply #312207 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Adelaide by 16 at the end of the third.
Melbourne by 4 at the end of the fourth.

By the time the Q&A starts upstairs at the OT Bar, I should be well on my way to beer laiden honesty.

In any case...

Dearly Beloved,

We are gathered here at the BMC tonight not to mourn the loss of another season, but to celebrate the fact that it has finally been put to rest... although painfully beyond all measure.

It seemed only months ago that the Sixers' 10/11 campaign came into this world - full of hope and promise; a starry eyed vision of enthusiasm and optimism.

But life has its way with all of us to varying degrees. It was not an easy life for this campaign - injuries derailed it for much of its existence. Hopes faded to despair, enthusiasm faded to 'Dude, what the hell?!?'.

But now, as we bury it in the anals of history alongside it's closest of kin, the 09/10 Sixer's season, please take a moment to remember the good times... for it should indeed only take a moment. Like the time Ballinger hit the game winner and tumbled over backwards. Or the week they had the rump steak as the special in the Apollo Bar and bistro.

Let us dry our eyes amidst the wailing and nashing of teeth, for it no longer feels anymore pain. (Well, except for the two road games, but at 1-11 that no longer counts as pain, losses are a given).

Fare thee well - may death hold more reason to cheer for you than life ever did.

Amen.

Reply #312211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just stepped out of the delorian.........6ers by 5

Reply #312213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loco ....well done

Reply #312214 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

season ticket holder here too and I am going to go watch some good junior finals rather than subject myself to another woeful effort in the fourth quarter.

And before you ask I don't have kids playing just thought i would watch some basketball played with passion and pride and intensity something that hs been lacking at sixer games on some if not most home matches.

Reply #312215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loco, "annals" of history!

Reply #312217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game tonight is on ABC Radio but unfortunately I think we will lose and equal the club's longest ever losing streak.

Reply #312219 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Somehow - some illogical reason have a feeling we can pull this game off . Dont lok for any reason why as dont have.
But main reason fopr this post was well done Loco that is the only way this season should end but with a prayer .
We can only hope in next 4-6 months we can pray to find some enthusiasm to 2011-2012 season

Reply #312224 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

B I G game tonight.

I think the Sixers might just get up for the W against all odds. If you want to see a few guys in Sixers uniform for their last game at the Dome, better get on down.

Reply #312231 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

hehehehe...

that's a TR typo there Loco...

anals of history... GOLD

Reply #312233 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I don't think that Loco's loco at all. Vewy, Vewy Cwever.

Reply #312236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson 28pts...WTF?

Reply #312243 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Just lost by three on the buzzer. Dj 31pts 13rbs

Reply #312244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rhys carter cant shoot.. Give it up mate!

Reply #312245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another loss...

Reply #312246 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

So DJ just made Marty look that bit worse, by having such big stats! You moron, this kid probably wouldve been playing at this high level if you had played him proper minutes and yes dare i say started a few games MUCH earlier on. Im very happy the 6ers will finish last now, you dont deserve one single excuse for 2010/11!

Reply #312247 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Ballinger just 2 points & 1 rebound in yet another pathetic display of why he should be fired.

Reply #312248 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

Not a bad effort considering Balls played two minutes. Is he injured. Johnson played 37minutes. See what happens when you dont rotate your players every three minutes

Reply #312249 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Gee that Shannon is one hell of a player!
Good for DJ, showed what he can do when given the chance.
Holmes, Hill, goodbye gentlemen.
Ballinger going down had no influence on the game as it merely allowed DJ a chance to show what he is worth.

Reply #312250 | Report this post

noose  
Years ago

Same old, same old.
Sixers up by 7 at 3/4 time and then outscored 25-15 to lose by 3pts.
Good game by Johnson tho. 31 pts although 8/13 FT hurt.

Reply #312251 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

Dunkin Dan, do some homework before you make stupid statements about Balls

Reply #312252 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Ballinger must have been injured in the first 2:27 of the game. looking at players' court time, Clarke may have taken Maher's advice.

Reply #312253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunkin Dan u r an idiot he played 2 mins. Get your facts straight before u make anymore ludacris comment idiot!! U should be sacked from this forum!!

Reply #312254 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

lol good call dunkin dan! Watch the game next time idiot

Reply #312255 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Rhys Carter - three 3pointers in the first 5mins
then rotated out , of course.
Although Bruce hit 2 x 2pointers quickly.
Clarke is in love with Shannon.

Reply #312256 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Don't expect to hear much more from Dunkin' Dan tonight. The guy would be very embarrassed.

Reply #312257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one Dunkin sack the best player we have well done.

Reply #312259 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Thank you DJ for showing the coach what an absolute dumbass he is (not that we needed any more proof). Thank you Clarke for also proving it your self with the last defensive play of the game by not fouling! His FIRST instructions of that time out should have been "we have 2 team fouls once they start to drive foul them so they have to set up again with about 6 seconds left" its absolutely embarrassing when this "great" coach can't even get the basics right!

Another great move was subbing carter off in the first quarter after he had hit 3 3's in a row. "carter you have scored enough this quarter and Shannon is yet to score so its only fair we take you off"

Reply #312260 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Ballinger sucks

Reply #312261 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

dunkin dan your a retard the internets iq drops by 50% everytime you post

Reply #312262 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Camel 31, actually Williams got a 3 point play against Bruce as soon as he entered for carter.

Reply #312263 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Clarke subbed NG out earlier in the season, after getting white hot from outside. Can we sack this 'coach' PRETTY PLEASEEEEE!

Reply #312264 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

With Ballinger not out there for more than 3 quarters, Melbourne had few answers cos we feed Adam too regularly until of course last quarter.

Memo to Michael Aylan and Benn McDonald, do you know what 3 seconds is? Cos I sure do. Burston and Helliwell lived in the key but no call. Shame!

Eddie Shannon......Well where do i begin. Glad I dont have to watch that again. No movement, poor passing, way too many turnovers and yet, heaps of court time to hold the ball for a good 12 seconds. Your visa is about to expire and thank goodness for that.

Rhys Carter, MAN!..... were you crap tonight after a few 3's. However not all blame can be placed on the players. Fewer rotations this time but still too many considering Melbourne didnt rotate.

Good crowd but I know Woodville Warriors scored 500 free tickets along with other groups that sold them for $10 via Al Green, so numbers would have way less.

As for the year, I am glad its over. If we end up bottom, we deserve it.

Stand outs were DJ and thats all. Corletto got it easy with 14 points first quarter then saw less of it.

Major issue for us in last quarter games is we tend to have only 2 fouls which means we are defenceless allowing them in too many times. They racked up 5 fouls which means they are aggressive. They won, we lost. If I can see it why cant Clarke?

6 months to work out if I really can be bothered putting up with debacle after debacle.

BRING ON FOOTY!

Reply #312265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure dunkin dan was mocking you guys

Reply #312266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure he wasn't mocking us just doesn't have any idea.

Reply #312267 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Pretty sure anyone can put any name in that box and pretend to be someone else

Reply #312268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah right on the back foot now.

Reply #312269 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

DJ well done, you once again showed Clark that he is an idiot and its great to see you put together an all out game. Just imagine what Balls and DJ could have done together over a season.
Hill, omfg hit a freaking layup, how he played so badly tonight and Creek sat on the bench after a much better start I dont know.

Carter had a great game tonight, and was heavily restricted by our amazing coach. Look at Corletto's first quarter score after shooting as well as Carter but being left on the court...game difference right there if Carter hit another couple.

Reply #312272 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Freudian - my bad ;)

Reply #312273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hills shots just werent falling tonight, most of them werent bad shots. He played some good D, got deflections etc.

Reply #312276 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Another fourth quarter choke job by the looks. The guys confidence has been totally shot the last month.

The only thing I really care about though is that DJ had the game we've been waiting for all season.

My question is, for those who were there, how did he get his points primarily? Was a lot of pick and rolls with him diving to the basket? Lots of drives from the foul line area? Ie, was he using his foot speed to kill Burston and Helliwell? Or (unlikely I'd guess) was he getting a lot of stuff right under the basket? Put backs and traditional post play?

Also, looks like DJ grabbed a lot of rebounds. What was he doing that he normally doesn't? Or was it mainly down to playing a lot minutes?

Last thing, looks like Burston and Helliwell didn't score a lot or grab a lot of rebounds. Can we put this down to an improved defensive effort by DJ, or was it his team-mates helping out, or did the Tigers centres just have a bad night out?

Reply #312280 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Loco, not so much Freudian as Nostradamian. But I guess it was not all that hard to pick.

Beantown, you identified all the ways DJ scored. Pick and rolls from the foul line, put backs from offensive boards, and hiding behind the backboard as he likes to do. Pretty much had his way from anywhere on court, even knocked down a 3 (but missed one wide open 20 ft jumpshot). Played pretty solid D too.

Reply #312285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burston didn't play as well without tragardh. Last game tragardh found burston so many times as the sixers doubled him. Awesome shot from lewis to win the game.

Reply #312287 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

DJ pretty well did all the things you listed Beantown plus he ran the floor beautifully on the breaks (of which there were many) and played a great game. It seemed to me that he made more of his field goal attempts in the second half because he was getting down the floor and helping finish fast breaks(although he looked tired on the foul line). Was great defensively against both Burston and "Gerry" Helliwell, he made them both look old, slow and clumsy.

The team as a unit worked well keeping Melbourne off the boards (although they let Walker jump over their backs twice for two huge dunk put-backs)

Reply #312288 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Great to see Johnson play big minutes and do so well. Many of us on here have been saying all season play him 25+ mins per game and see what happens, we wouldnt have finnished any lower on the ladder, and though he can be eratic at times, he can flat out score and he isnt a great defender but he was pretty good tonight imo.

I honestly think if he had played 25+ mins per game he would have got us averages of around 15pts 5 rebounds, and Ballinger would have got similar numbers at pf which would give us around 30 pts 10 rebounds between them, which is way better than we got from our rotations.

I guess thats the positive of Ballinger unfortunatly going down tonight, i hope he is ok, was that it forced Clarke to finally give Johnson some decent minutes, and Johnson proved what he can do.

It would have been performances like that Clarke was predicting in the pre-season which made him recruit Johnson and withdraw the offer to Schenscher.

I hope next game we start something like Johnson, Ballinger (Holmes if Balls is injured), Creek, Carter, Bruce as to me those are the 5 guys id keep next season (maybe Hill aswell) and given the season is dead we may aswell test out and blood those guys more so and i would play Shannon as the back up guard only and consider giving Daly minutes aswell, as Shannon wont be here next season and isnt winning us games so we may aswell play the young guys, who are proving to be our best players anyway.

Say we cant get Schenscher, would people be happy with say recruiting Mottram or Vanderjagt to split the minutes with Johnson, and starting Johnson next year? I would be and would prefer that to an import C personally, and hope/think if Johnson can build on this year he could be one of the best C in the league in the next couple of years, offensivly he is close now.

Reply #312290 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cheers guys, it sounds like DJ played a really good all-round game. I was expecting to hear that he got a lot of runners in the lane by using his speed and length, but its great to hear he was running the floor, getting himself to the line and scoring every which way.

I wish I'd seen it myself. Could be a great weapon for us next season if we can regularly get him quick shots before the D has set up.

Its also really pleasing that he grabbed all those rebounds and that his direct opponents didn't fill it up either, because those two things have generally been a problem for him this season.

Reply #312291 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

All this talk and no mention of what happened to Ballinger? Anyone know?

Reply #312297 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i saw him motion to boti and another person and to me it looked like he was explaining a roll. I think he came down on the side/point of his foot and rolled it really bad, maybe done some ligaments? sometime you can tape them up and keep playing but it must have been bad.

The only other thing i could think of was like a break or fracture along the top of the foot for lack of a better description.

As mentioned above my big grips was the lack of use of the fouls to give. I was explaining to my friend that it what we should do, you wont win but at least you go to overtime. For mine you just sag off williams when he finally drives take the foul, repeat again and they have to force something with 1 or 2 ticks on the clock.

In someways it was a fitting way to finish our home games this year. It can only get better i guess.

Reply #312298 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I hope Ballinger is ok and his ankle is not hurt badly.

If i were the 36ers id be tempted to sit him out the last 2 games, and just give Johnson, Holmes, Dowdell some more minutes, to see what they can do and help Johnson build some confidence to carry into next season, and give him a opportunity to be 'the man' on offense and see how desperate we are for a new starting C.

Reply #312301 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sixers played hard for the loss...let down by Clarke's stupid bloody rotations.
1st quarter highlight - Carter 3 of 3 from outside and taken off after 5 minutes. Shannon was 0 and stays on. Great choice Clarke.
Daly comes in for the last 11 seconds of the 3rd and that was it?
Amazing what Johnson could do when he actually got some minutes in the game - shame it had to be with Balls out of the game. How did you expect DJ to get devloped on the bench, Clarke?

Reply #312302 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

DJ blew Burston off the floor, Matty seemed to cramp up a bit with all the transition running he had to do. DJ certainly had more determination on the boards, it was like he was trying to make a point against Melbourne, and i noticed the Melbourne coach went to him and shook his hand specifically after the game.

Rys Carter now seems to be getting his fitness back, he certainly lost a bit when he had that back injury. Bruce was certainly in the flow more tonight, and it will be interesting what the 36er coaches decide to do off season in terms of back court recruiting.

Really liked the motion offence and ball movement the team played prior to half time, and i want to know why they didnt use it in the second half.

All these guys, except for DJ, Creek and Ballinger are now playing for their jobs for next season.

Did anyone see what was bandaged on Ballinger's left leg when he came out on the crutches? I thought it was the knee or the knee and the calf, but i could be mistaken..

Reply #312303 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

DJ showed tonight what he can do given the time and responsibility of being the focal point of the team.

However, while I am one of the many who are glad he's finally done this regardless of the circumstances (Ballinger's injury and Clarke not subbing him out for the rest of the game. I feared he would change him with Dowdell once or twice but thankfully didn't), lets not get carried away. Tonight was only one game against a team which had, until tonight, only won 1 more game than us all season. I'll be happier if DJ can reproduce tonight's form against the Gold Coast Blaze and the Breakers in Auckland in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully Clarke finally see's what everyone else can and actually starts him and gives him at least 30 minutes on the court.

Ok, we may have lost tonight's game and again been outscored by 10 points in the last period. BUT, tonight at least it wasn't like against Cairns where they seemed to just die in the arse. Tonight they did give it their best but unfortunately, the Tigers were better when it mattered. Benny Lewis's shot was pretty cool under pressure with about 1.0 seconds left on the game clock. Good to hear the crowd show that while not happy with another loss, they were happy with the efforts of players like DJ and Mitch Creek. There were plenty of cheers for them tonight.

Corey Williams once again outplayed Eddie Shannon who has been disappointing IMO. If you see some of the YouTube video's of Eddie playing in Europe you can see why the 36ers signed him. When on form he's a pretty exciting player to watch and he should have been a dominant PG here, but he has only shown glimpses of his Euro form while here. And people complained that Ron Howard's numbers weren't up to the hype.....I remember watching the game we lost to the Blaze in February and wondering why Shannon hardly used Howard who on numerous occasions was left unmarked on the wing yet he continued to hold onto the ball and in the last 5 or 6 seconds try to get the ball to Balls without much success. Howard was left open so often and not used by Shannon that the Blaze in the end really stopped defending him and used the extra player to harass Shannon into mistakes or double team Balls, Holmes and DJ.

Who would I start against the Blaze next up on the Gold Coast? I guess that depends on Ballinger's injury really. What I think Clarke should do is start with Creek, Hill, Holmes, Ballinger and Johnson. With 2 games left, let Mitch Creek and Brad Hill run the offense from the start and see how they handle it. Other than finishing last, which is likely anyway, what have we got to lose? If Balls is out, just move everyone except DJ up one spot and start Shannon at the point. However, what I think Clarke should do (in terms of our starting 5) and what Clarke will do are probably 2 different things. Despite tonight's dominant performance I fear DJ will be back to the bench at the start of the Blaze game and our usual starting 5 will line up.

I'll give Clarke something for tonight's game. At least after his blunder in subbing out Creek who was 3 for 3 from 3 point range with 4:59 left in the 1st (10 seconds after his last 3) while leaving in Shannon who was 0/1 with 2 assists, he seemed to let his on court players get on something of a roll. To me at least there seemed to be a lot less subs tonight.

Damn, did I just type all that crap?

Reply #312306 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kingjames

Another great move was subbing carter off in the first quarter after he had hit 3 3's in a row. "carter you have scored enough this quarter and Shannon is yet to score so its only fair we take you off"

This season I have been very critical of the coach but this time I need to speak in support of him. Carter called his own sub in the first quarter. Coach did not sub him off. Seems Carter has not gained full fitness after the injury and needed a rest early in the game. Coach himself said this and Carter acknowledged its accuracy as it was raised in the Q&A session after the game. But don't worry, the winner of the clown award goes to Dunkin' Dan.

Reply #312307 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Holden V8, Ballinger is finished for the season.

Reply #312308 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Then DJ is going to be our starting centre at long last. Lets see how he handles it. Hopefully like tonight.

Reply #312310 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

EC is correct re: the Carter sub. I noticed that too... after much carrying on. Cheers Dad ;)

Reply #312311 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'll stand corrected on Rhys Carter's sub. Now I can see why Clarke left Shannon out there despite the miserable numbers he ended up having (31:33 played, 1/2 shooting, 6 assists, 3 turnovers in the last), he wanted an experienced guy running the point.

Eddie Shannon is better than what he's showing but I mean, only 2 shots taken in over 31 minutes played from your starting point guard? It doesn't cut it. That's two home games in a row that Corey Williams has made him look second rate. If it wasn't for his assist total he would have been booked for loitering with intent out there last night. He probably held onto the ball longer than any other player on the court yet did almost SFA with it. Its frustrating to watch.

Reply #312313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not taking anything away from DJ, he played a great game...But lets not go creaming our pants about it, its a lot easier to put up numbers in games when the season is over and there is no real pressure on...Also if it was against The Breakers or Wildcats you'd have reason for excitement, but it was against Melbourne :/ ...Again it was a great game by him but considering who it was against and that the playoffs are a no go for adelaide I wouldnt get over excited

Reply #312315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wat 2 ex boomer players? Yes he does have a bit to work on, post up game but his quickness 4 size is nearly the best in the comp. get some ex big man eg rees to help him out during the off season. does anyone no if john gilchrist knee is any gd yet?

Reply #312318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Guys, Dunkin' Dan was joking! Seriously...

Carter called his own sub. Was struggling in the Kings game as well.

DJ played bulk minutes and was awesome, I thought. Hard to tell if he was grimacing (has that scowling game face) or getting through the minutes OK. He got on the boards and scored in a variety of ways. A win would've made him POTW.

For those who weren't at the game, Ballinger came down early in the game and half collapsed on his ankle. Tried to get up more than once (as though it was a leg cramp, and trying to run through it or something?) but gradually realised how serious it was. Was helped to the locker room, Ng was called in at some point too. Came back out after half-time on crutches and sat at the end of the bench with his leg elevated. I heard broken ankle? Hopefully not that severe?

Bit numb to caring about the result, not fouling at the end, etc - just happy to see DJ off the leash.

Reply #312329 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good effort by Sixers last night worked hard especially on D but too many stupid turnovers and missed easy shots with Hill& Creek beating Holmes in that area this week .
Last Qtr fade-outs are simple Shannon stands holding the ball for 12 secs + then passes sideways and no-one apart from DJ wanted to take shot or drive the basket.
Dowdell -- Sorry a battler plenty of those in local leagues . No thanks
Holmes -- Will miss defensive work & rebounds but time has come . No THanks
Shannon -- Two words -- Good Bye
Hill -- has something but hell how many ways to stuff up . Dads role probably save him
Bruce - worth looking at but think we can assemble without as Carter better preference
Too many brain fades and limitations

Creek -- Contracted so will keep and athletic but totally overated with no open shot which isnt good enough at this level .
Herbert -- From previous year a keeper if fits with new structure. Can defend & shoot which many current team cant do
Ng -- Sure would have won some of those last Qtrs if NG able to finish season . His D did improve
Carter -- Last night was typical Carter worked hard with good D and real purpose and willing to take the shot but some shocker brain fades. A keeper
Daly -- not sold but ok for a number 10 role
Ballinger -- as on contract and best scorer have to keep but has weaknesses and not a captain.
So need to build some toughness around him with another big along with DJ and PG that will get the ball to him when got position.
Most of all need season ticket holders to hang in there and hope AGAIN

Reply #312330 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

as bad as it was to see ballinger get injured it was good seeing dj step up and make use of his court time. Hopefully balls recovers well.

Reply #312331 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

All players have weaknesses but they have got to be coached.
Balls is our best player and is proven and cant be let go.
Johnson potential? but is soft and has a low IQ on the court. He is teaser!
Both Carter and Bruce are not PGS. They are back up 2s.
Clarke loves Carter although he takes a lot of bad shots and makes dumb plays?
He hasnt worked out that both he and Bruce are coach killers.
Shannon is a good pg but cant play in Clarkes system.
The team needs 2 new PGS
Creek will be ok but he is similar to what we already had in Hill.
Holmes has not delivered for a few years.
The team has no confidence at all. This is a big worry and l dont see it improving as their is no momentum or upside going into net year.
Next year is not going to see great improvemnet with what we can see.

Reply #312333 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

bretts the man, I agree with most of what you say but as for Creek, I have 3 words in his defense - eighteen years old.

Reply #312334 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

man if creek doesnt bugger off for greener pastures we should do everything to make him our 15yr franchise type player. try to compare creek to any other 18 yr olds what wait a minute, only one other 18 yr old playing real minutes in the league and he is rated a future boomer ( cadee ). can only get better and better, still needs to develop his mid-range jumpshot, and work on using that solid body and bangin around.

Reply #312339 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

oh well.... at least we get first pick in the draft....

oh wait..

Reply #312340 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

phil, we already used our first pick on Creek. ;)

Or maybe that was the pick from last year.

Reply #312342 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Glad to see DJ play good minutes at the 5 spot, got his chance to shine.

When he learns what is the "right" shot, and when to kick it out, he could easily be a 60%+ shooter in this league.

Does anyone know if there is a stat for Shoot vs pass ratio for each possession? Im sure DJ's would be very high in favour of shooting, especially last night it felt, but also wonder what otehrs would be.

Reply #312343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can somebody please upload the buzzer beater and Lucas Walker dunks to Youtube?

Reply #312344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti is reporting Ballinger's injury as an ankle sprain.

Reply #312345 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

So did anyone go to the after-match debrief in the OT bar? Just curious as to what happened? Apologies if it's been discussed and I've missed it somewhere.

Reply #312352 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

good luck anon... if onehd isnt showing the game i doubt they filmed it for our benefit.

Reply #312364 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Cadee is 19. 20 next month.

Reply #312365 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

DJ played the game of his life cause he wants to go back to the Tigers & get away from this rabble. Gotta hand it to Clarke, he has a knack of finding a way to lose - but dont sack him, lets promote him to Boomers assistant! Joke!!

Reply #312367 | Report this post

Alley-ooping Al  
Years ago

No wonder everyone is talking about dumping Ballinger. The guy hardly scored and couldn't even walk properly. What was he using after half-time, anyway? Training-sticks?

We all know that DJ will be our number one option next year.

Reply #312378 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the players are told IF they perform well in the nbl they will be seriously considered for boomers duties.

the message sent to nbl coaches is the opposite!!

be a member of the 'boys club' or you will not even be considered !!

larry,you need to step into this process.......before it is really exposed for what it is !

Reply #312381 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

so cadee is 19??? so is creek the youngest non-development player?? must be the youngest player getting serious minutes. who would people rate as the best under-21 prospects in nbl this year?

Reply #312383 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Player Min Pts Reb Ass T/o Stl
Daly(19) 8.3 2.4 .7 .5 .4 .2
Cadee(19) 13.9 3.5 1.9 1.2 1 .1
Creek(18) 16.8 5.7 2.4 .9 1.3 .6
Blanchfld(19)9.6 2.3 1.5 .3 .4 .4
Teys(20) 5.4 2.0 .8 .1 .2 .1

Summary - Daly's numbers are not too much different to Cadee's however on average he's seen substantially less court time per game. Accident aside, Cadee has played for the Boomers and is touted to be a future Boomer. Would it be unfair to expect similar potential for Daly?

Creek statically is the best across the board but on average sees more time than other under 21 players. Blanchfield, currently injured, could be just were as effective (and those who saw his 30 point game at the High Stakes Hoops know he can jump and nail a 3 ball and has potential).

Perhaps the most surprising is the output of Brendan Teys. Well known in SE Queensland, he too has a bright future if provided the opportunity. Like Daly has taken his opportunities.

I would rate Creek the best Under 21 prospect this year because he's been given more opportunity and as such is probably a little bit further (but not much) in his professional career development.

Reply #312397 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Sengstock is part of the boys club - the old Nth Melb Giants!

Reply #312406 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yes understand Creek is only 18 but until he can hit a open jump shot he is not going to hit any great heights .
Guess what he practices in warm ups ---- highlight dunks which we get maybe 1 a week which is 2 points.
Not knocking him as said he is a keeper for next season but as young Lewis showed for Tigers no matter how inexperienced you are if get the opportunity have to be able to hit it

Reply #312412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most players practice layups and dunks in warm-ups. They practice shooting at actual practice.

Reply #312413 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

great work ads.

thats what i want to see more of from the nbl. we shouldnt have to wait until their 25 to see if a kid has talent. find these kids and give them a chance.

i forgot about blanchfield, i remember that game it was awesome, so he is an aussie?? what team??

Reply #312415 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blanchfield plays for the Crocs.

Today's article in the paper suggests Ballinger will miss the last couple of games.

Says that Marty will be targeting a top Aussie point guard as a priority for next season. I can't see Damian Martin leaving Bevo, so I'm guessing Gibson or Dellavedova?

Reply #312416 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Young Benny is almost 5 years older than Creek which has allowed him to work on his outside shooting while spending a few seasons in a Division 2 NCAA college team and two and a bit seasons as a pro baller.

I agree wholeheartedly that he needs to improve his shot but he also needs to believe he can hit that shot too. I recall him shooting with much more confidence in his first few games but he seems to have gradually lost confidence.

Reply #312417 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Yes, a very intersting quote in this morning's paper. I wonder if the NBL will be making a phone call to Marty Clarke asking just who it might be that he is alluding to?

Reply #312418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK, just thought I would share my insights to the game.

DJ has impressed me in the last 2 home games and Friday night showed he can be one of the best when given the opportunity. He still has a lot to work on but his potential is pretty much limitless and I would like to see us persist with him and have him start next year! I think he is very much a confidence player and has a better attitude to the game when he starts or can see that he is going to play major minutes. Isaac, I dont think he was grimacing I think he was just trying to maintain his focus and agression which he has had the last 2 home games and we need him to keep that up.

As for Creek, I love this guy but he needs to develop his shot and his handle a little more over the off season. I think he rushes his shot a little bit thinking he doesnt have as much time to get it up as he does, just needs to remain composed in this situation, take the shot or pump fake and drive past the defender. Like DJ, his potential is limitless and he reminds me of a young Sam McKinnon who was all athleticism but did over the years develop his mid range and outside shot.

DJ & Creek are the future of our club and it is a bright future given their age.

Shannon, frustrates the hell out of me. He couldnt even pass the ball in from an out of bounds play. I think he needs to be benched for the remainder of the season and and Carter and Bruce given the reigns.

Carter is good but he has a lot of brain fades, throws some ridiculous passes and takes some bad shots. I think Bruce is more poised, is a better ball handler, better passer and only shoots when he is open and there isnt a better option. Carter seems to get the nod from everyone because he gets a few more steals but I think Bruce is the better player - just. Both of them at the moment are only back up PG's but I think only Bruce has the potential to be a starter. I think we may regret it if we let him go but we will see what happens there.....it really is a line ball between him and Carter in my opinion.

Lastly, I think we lost the game in the last quarter when Clarke decided to run with 3 pg's for a good portion of the last quarter. Bruce, Carter and Shannon should never be on the floor at the same time. This was when our lead dwindled and Melbourne got the momentum they needed to run away with the win.

Reply #312421 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If you're a fan of Eddie and want to see him play in a Sixers uniform again, I reckon you may need to jump on a plane to see him.

Reply #312429 | Report this post

Years ago

is it just me or is every word spoken by marty and his sidekick asresentent nothing but shit.at no stage have the coaching team taken any blame for the crap dised up every week . ninnis had no game plan these two clowns have no idea how marty got a show at the boomers is beond any logical explanation .have B/A sunk to such a low in this country?????????. and the overtme show the other night was just a crack at how bad the 6ers are being coached all the crap about this young player and that young player was just a way of saying clarke should be coaching KIDS and not seasoned pros .we can blame this player or that player but anyone who understands this game knows that the coaches need to take a LONG hard look in the mirror and walk away

Reply #312452 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Clarke might provide some reasonable insight on opposition international players, especially some of the younger guys who will be on the international scene for many years to come. Not that silly imo.

Reply #312454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6érs cant afford gibson, and Martin may be going elsewhere

Reply #312477 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Who is Clarke alluding to?........probably some 15 year old he saw at the u/16 nationals so he can develop him

Reply #312479 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gibson isn't that expensive at the Blaze. Unless Dellavedova is interested, or D Martin, Gibson is probably the next best option.

Reply #312496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is D. Martin and that ifd Redhedge didnt get injured he was on the way as well.

Reply #312497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson is about four country miles in front of Dellavedova. Think Creek or Cadee and that is about the level Delly is at, just a little bit ahead of those guys.

Reply #312498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of 'words' each year though, very few of them end up being true.

Reply #312505 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I agree that Gibson is way ahead of Delly at the moment but at least with Delly we would have a go to scorer, if not at first at least in a few seasons. I have watched a bunch of St Mary's games this year and he often takes the team on his back scoring wise.

If we got him we would have a pretty good young group coming up together along with Creek, DJ & Daly.

Reply #312515 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"Adelaide by 16 at the end of the third.
Melbourne by 4 at the end of the fourth."

I should have put $$$s down - Sixers were favourites too.

Reply #312521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the +/- for the game. Interestingly, it seemed to me (and many) that Shannon was pretty average and I don't think it was one of Hill's better games either:

Adelaide

Eddie Shannon (10)
Brad Hill (8)
Jacob Holmes (6)
Adam Ballinger (3)
Tom Daly (0)
Daniel Johnson (-6)
Rhys Carter (-6)
Jeff Dowdell (-9)
Aaron Bruce (-10)
Mitchell Creek (-11)

Melbourne

Wade Helliwell (12)
Daryl Corletto (12)
Benny Lewis (8)
Corey Williams (3)
Yusuf Qaafow (0)
Lucas Walker (-6)
Tom Greer (-7)
Matthew Burston (-7)

Reply #312706 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

+/- stats for a single game can very much be a lottery.

Reply #312727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754