Tornado
Years ago

Ninja is back!!

Re-signed with the Sixers for the 2011/2012 season.

Topic #25604 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Great news. It's always handy having an elite shooter on the roster.

Reply #318581 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm glad the handsome one is back.

Reply #318583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that makes my decison more obvious - I will sit out a year before looking to renew my membership. A player approaching 30 who's best is behind him stats wise. A one trick pony who has more than enough opportunities to prove himself.

We keep Ng but can't find a way to keep Carter.

Reply #318584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Anon! Its cool! I will be bringing a friend with me this season who will be buying a membership... so NO LOSS TOSS!

Reply #318585 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon, he's still a few years from 30 at the moment. Some would call the 25-30 years the "Prime" years of a players career.

Reply #318586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing!

Reply #318587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Big Marty.

Reply #318589 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

If we sign Big Red this is a great signing has players won't be able to leave Ng to double team. I felt he started to find his feet but then got injuried

Reply #318590 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Link
http://www.nbl.com.au/teams/36ers/news/article/article/2011/may/36ers-lock-in-sharp-shooter-darren-ng/

Reply #318592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many clubs did we have to fight off to get his signature on paper???

Reply #318598 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

At least 2 others approached him

Reply #318600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #318584 A true basketball/36ers fan supports their team through the tough years and that makes the good years that much sweeter. I hope you had really good seats that a REAL fan will now be able to use and then when you decide to come back you will have to sit up in the bleachers.

Reply #318601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I admit I must be wrong but I wouldn't have him in our team despite how nice a person he is!

Reply #318603 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Its good we signed a good local player that can shoot the ball
but we just let go a better all round player in Brad Hill

Reply #318604 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree BigSexy

Reply #318607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

much better to keep ng as a solid bench player than hill... great decision marty

Reply #318611 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good signing especially if get Schens also lets add Herbert and maybe Bruce to go with Ervin or similar

Reply #318615 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

great news me an my mate can still use our 'N' & 'G' tshirts lol

Reply #318622 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Thomo, the other 2 teams were looking for medical staff though...

Reply #318623 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

If that's what u think

Reply #318627 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

So as I read it, thae state of play is as follows:

??/Johnson
Ballinger/??
Weigh/Creek
??/Ng
??/??

Anyone want to try fill the gaps?

In an ideal world the gaps will be filled by Schenscher, Herbert, Ervin, Bruce and Holmes/Dowdell?

Reply #318632 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Ng is a decent signing, I havent been an avid supporter of him over the years but last season he really stepped up and started to play better under pressure than he ever has. If he can build on last seasons form into next season he will be a good option for quick bursts of the bench

Reply #318639 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I thought Dowdell had one year remaining on his contract?

Reply #318645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng is the last guy on the roster. I've met him a few times great fella but physically not up to nbl standard. This signin is only gd if we get schencher n 2 really gd gaurds. Ng needs to play limited mins. No different to hill both got there positives n negatives. Don't really understand how people bag hill but r happy with this signing.

Reply #318647 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

Ng was playing his best basketball before he got injured last year and I think the sixers missed him when he went down. good to see him back. You cant have too many good shooters. With Weigh and Creek I dont think we could fit in hill as well.

Reply #318653 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Shannon wasnt the same once Ng went down. There was no one to stop the floor and no perimeter shooters for Shannon to find. Ng hit 18/38 triples in Shannon's first 6 games before he got injured

Reply #318654 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thats a very telling stat there Paul! Perhaps Ninja's injury had more impact on the team than I previously thought. Could be one in the mitigating circumstances column for Shannon.

Re the signing, I am happy with Ng off the bench, but would prefer a stronger guard as our starter.

As to keeping Ng and not Hill, it just comes down to the other signings. With Weigh and Creek signed there is just no room for Hill. He's a useful player, but I'm happy we are going with the former two next season.

Reply #318655 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Ng over Hill is a no-brainer given how bad the perimeter shooting was last season. As a 15mpg player he can have a significant impact on the offence.

OOI - Shannon's stats in the 6 games with Ng were 12.5p @ 47% (40% 3p), 4.7a, 1.5s, 2.5to. Who knows if that would have continued but a 5'11 pg will always feel the loss of his team's best shooter.

Reply #318658 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Opposition coaches worry about Ng more than anyone else on our roster.

Balls is always going to get points, but Darren can turn a game on its head in 2 minutes.

A lot more muscle on him this year.

Reply #318659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a fantastic signing IF Luke Schenscher is also signed. Lukes ability to keep the defence honest and the range NG has, and his ability to also keep the Defense honest would cause nightmares for oppositon teams! half way to a good reshape 6er officials!

Reply #318661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If teams r worrrying about ng the most then our team is terrible n well below playoff material. Yes he is a great shot but he can't dribble,defend,get to the basket or create a shot. If we going to b a playoff team he plays 5-10 mins a game set a play or 2 4 him then of cause he is a liability on d. Really people we wanna make the playoffs this is an ok signing just a filler.

Reply #318662 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, that's crap. Sydney won championships with Carter coming off the bench as merely a one trick pony spot up shooter, and he consistently contributed.

Ng is ten times the player Carter was.

Ng aint gonna win it by himself, but he is a good contributor and complimentary team player and will make this team better if the other pieces are in place.

Reply #318670 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Spot on XY!

Reply #318680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give me Carter any day. Better defender, better hustler. And lets not forget Carter is slightly younger and is just entering his prime time to play based on some-one else's comments above.

Carter brings more to the table than a 8.6ppg pure shooter

Reply #318685 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce has signed with Sydney Kings 2 years!
Rhys Carter has signed 2 years in Sweden

Reply #318687 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Shooting was a bigger issue than defence or hustle last year.

Reply #318691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roger, agreed. Also agree with XY.

Happy with this signing. Some people respond to every bench signing with "just filler" for some reason. I know Gordie McLeod is a big fan of Ng. Don't understand those who don't rate him. We missed outside shooters almost more than anything last season.

Reply #318721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships"

So are we about selling tickets or winning championships???

Reply #318724 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did Cairns defence win them a championship? Bet they wish they could have thrown someone like Ng out there at times in the GF.

Reply #318726 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Offence and Defence wins Championships!

Reply #318740 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

Ng's defence was a liability when he started but I think it has improved alot. clearly not going to be our best defender but think he gets a pass on D last year

Reply #318743 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Get Gilly back as the PG, i loved his game to watch

Reply #318746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not happy, he's a liability in defence, how many times does the opposition go to his opponent as it's an easy layup or shot. If you watch that closely it negates his scoring. When the going gets tough he's gone as he's easily intimidated. Every time he hits the court, the majority of spectators in our area give a sigh of "oh no"

Reply #318750 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I also suspect that Ng has more respect amongst NBL referees than he has in previous seasons. I was often surprised how often he was credited for drawing a charge from opponents. In previous season those calls were either blocking calls or no calls.

Reply #318777 | Report this post

MB  
Years ago

He put on some muscle whilst he was injured so I think he wont be pushed around as much.

I've seen 3 of his ABA games and he's been awesome. The 5 three's he hit against woodville in the first quarter were amazing.

Love the signing. Always good to have a guy who can turn a game on its head in 10 minutes court time.

Reply #318783 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon #318685, wrong Carter. I was talking about BJ.

Rhys and Ng play different games in different positions and are not really comparable.

Reply #318801 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Very happy that Darren is back - I'm a huge fan.

He needs to be utilised more.

Reply #318848 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

And Ng is one of the last players that would ever be intimidated - he's calmer under pressure and makes better decisions than 90% of the roster.

Reply #318849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MB - there are losts of people who look awesome at the ABA level. Last time I looked (couple of weeks ago) Josh Bond was shooting a higher 3 point % than Darren. Also hit 40 against Mavs who have a couple of reasonable players in their team. If his shooting is off for the 36ers best tell him to put his tracksuit on and sit down the end of the bench as unless he is shooting well there are so many more players better at executing the other skills required in basketball

Reply #318852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754