Anonymous
Years ago

36ers vs Hawks, March 3rd

10:30pm Saturday night on One HD and also live on NBL Radio.

Topic #27691 | Report this topic

forcey  
Years ago

36ers blew them out last time, should be a tighter contest tonight. I think the 36ers will be too much, been better the last few games and should be too strong for the Hawks at home. Adelaide by 8.

Game preview on my blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/hawks-home-take-two.html

Reply #352623 | Report this post

take2  
Years ago

Last time, this game was a total blowout but I expect the Hawks to do well.
Size wise, we have advantage with Simpson, Helliwell and DJ all being far taller than most of the Hawks so should be able to get inside and do some damage.

That said, rebounding will be pivotal towards the result. Dont rebound and the Hawks give themselves a chance. Gotta control the boards.

Game tempo will also be a major factor in this also.

Sixers by 5 in O/T

Reply #352641 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Lasr time , our bigs were pretty good , their coach said. Helliwell only got about 6 and 6 ...............

Reply #352643 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Career best!!

Reply #352653 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Vanderjagt lover.

Reply #352654 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Looking for another great game by Barlett. Sixers should win, but I always hope the Big O has a great game in a losing team.

Reply #352656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks looking short - ? @WINNews_Woll
The Wollongong Hawks have headed for Adelaide, minus import Joevan Catron. They're desperate for a win and avoid the wooden spoon. More...

Reply #352657 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

I'd like to change my margin then. Adelaide by 15.

Reply #352663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Catron's crap he wouldn't make much difference anyway.

Reply #352665 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Catron was the Hawks best last time they played here IIRC.

Sixers by 10+ tonight with the usual suspects, DJ, Simpson & Warren to score 15+ and possibly Darren Ng as well.

Reply #352667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He averages 11 & 4 @ 41%

Reply #352681 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

What the hell was that 1/4 time presentation, was I the only one that couldn't understand want the hell she was saying.

Reply #352683 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Only 3,597 showed for the last 36ers vs Hawks game at the Adelaide Arena on 4 December, a Friday night game. With the Clipsal 500 & the Fringe going on in Adelaide I wonder what the attendance will be tonight?

Reply #352684 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

There goes the 100point game, & it's only half time

Reply #352685 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If the 36ers want to avoid taking the worse defensive record from the Kings they're going to have to restrict Wollongong to 66 points or less.

Reply #352688 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Took the 5 line for win and looked fine with a couple of minutes to go then it fell apart. What's the deal with Simpson? Why is he in the dog house or was he injured.

Reply #352692 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

We won this purely because Wollongong are such a bad team..I have no idea when our substitutions return to Clarks old crappy methods..Why did we not have a centre on court for 5 minutes? Why does Creek get benched for every mistake..but Weigh can suck the entire game and still get more minutes. Herbert only saw court time in the last quarter??
Took my dad along tonight..hes not a basketball fan his only other game he has seen was a few weeks ago..When we walked out he pointed out how structured Wollongong looked while the Adelaide players looked lost. Horrible and lucky to win, tonight against any other team we would have lost big time.

I also wonder when the sivers are going to get some decent floor wipers or some decent bloody mops..to many delays today really did not help the crowd get into the game at any stage.

Overall the most boring game I have watched where we won lol

Reply #352697 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Maybe Clarke did not want to risk having Simpson's foul shooting on the floor down the stretch, but i would have thought the positives would have outweighed the negatives.

Also cannot understand why Herbert and Helliwell did not get just a few more minutes
given the quality of what they did on the floor compared to some others,
but hey I am not coaching for my future.

Pretty horrible game all round really, but winning real ugly is better than loosing.

Reply #352698 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Yeah, those floor wipers really played into Woolongong's hands,
the Hawks clearly wanted a slower more structured and controlled tempo and whenever they wanted to put the breaks on the game, one of them just rolled onto the floor knowing that it was going to waste a minute or so before the game could be resumed.

Back at the start of the season, the floor wipers had proper large circular wipers, but apparently now small white towels administered by the foot are the ridiculously preferred option. Even the small broom things they had were not used much.

Reply #352699 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Like mentioned above when Dj went out with cramp/strain we ran a small lineup for ages. Why we just burn talent and 2nd chance points with Simpson on the pine is a mystery to me.

Reply #352700 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Just glad we got the W. Simpson was off tonight. Took 2 bad jumpers ( he shouldn't be shooting anything that's not directly under the basket) and was a liability from the line. marty seems to punish him whenever he misses freebies. Imagine if Orlando did that everytime Howard missed 2. Clarke's rotations were solid in the first half...not so much in the 2nd. No Helliwell or Simpson down the strecth didn't make sense, Weigh got burned several times having to play some centre.

Full review up on my 36ers blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/what-did-you-expect-adelaide-v.html

Reply #352701 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Back at the start of the season, the floor wipers had proper large circular wipers, but apparently now small white towels administered by the foot are the ridiculously preferred option. Even the small broom things they had were not used much. "

The kids couldnt push the big ones..deffinetly need something better than what they are using though, surely cleaning companies have better than Woolworths brought mops!!

I think if you watch the replay Simpson didnt want to take either of those shots but had to when noone presented themselves for a pass..he hesitated on the second one which screwed any chance he had. The reality is we know he sucks from the freethrow line so learn to deal with it, but he can still score 20 points when he is used properly. Tonight was one of his worse nights in not hitting his first shot, but he was being fouled hard by Wollongong to make sure he wasnt. Clark should have put Helliwell on the court with Simpson since it would have really stretched the gongs defence and give Simpson some space to work on one side. Tonight he was 4-8 at the line in the first 5 minutes..putting 4 fouls on the other team so they were in foul trouble for most of the quarter.

This has been the constant problem with Clark..none of the players are used correctly.

Reply #352706 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He gave 'Stevie' a run at Centre and Davidson did pretty well then , of course.

Reply #352710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games like this are why you don't break the bank for DJ, there just isn't much going on between those ears.
If he re-signs cool, if not you move on.

Supposedly the crowd was 4,500 between the two worst teams in the league, not a bad effort if true. Imagine how much better the crowd would've been if they weren't competing with the Fringe, Clipsal 500 and Soundwave!

Reply #352712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be awesome when this disaster is all over and done with, and Clarke is gone. Simpson shouldve been playing mass minutes come the 4th. How the 6ers beat a team as bad as the Hawks by just 4 goes to show how bad they have become. Boring team to watch play the great game of basketball.

Reply #352714 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Was an ugly game, but I really have no idea what all the Marty knockers are on about. We were 10 up twice with two minutes to go, looking comfortable for the win. The we turn it over on full court pressure three times in a row, because we lack safe guards with composure who can look after the ball. Nothing to do with whether Simpson was or was not on court. And we still won. We won ugly, but that is where we are at as a team. Get used to it. Overall our play has improved over the season.

Reply #352723 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

The term 'wiped the floor with them' takes on a new meaning when it comes to the sixers. Bloody embarrassing to see the players have to do their own floor wiping again.

Reply #352726 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

XY - I only saw the last quarter but wondered why Simpson and Helliwell were off the whole quarter. It looked to me that the 6ers probably would have been up by a lot more than 10 if they'd had someone to pass to close to the basket or to rebound in the first 6 minutes of the last. The 6 ers last quarter offence largely was dribbling and passing around the 3 point line and ending up with a prayer from 16 to 20 feet. At the time, I assumed there were foul problems or something else had been going on in the first 3 quarters was behind it.

From what I saw, we should not have ended up in the situation that arose in those last 4 minutes, and staying with the small line up the whole quarter wasa big reason for it.

Reply #352727 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Not the prettiest game to see,Sixers got over the line,amazing we had all the guards on court and Weigh was Centre,very rare seeing Simpson,Johnson,helliwell on the bench.Catron not playing for the hawks which was good.Simpson was off tonight everyone usually have an off night.Players seem to wipe the floors most of the time last night,Yes we had big wipes but the usual BasketballSA tactic they have bought replacement wipes from Cheap as Chips.We have NZ next week and will need a better performance from the whole team.

Reply #352728 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

The other factor drawing the crowd away is District have Div 1 nights on Fridays.My assumption, there is a lot of passionate people in all of these teams and more likely to be supporters.I know of 5 families who are focusing on their kids games from 2 x Div 1 teams.
With the floor mopping isnt there two mature people who know how to wipe a floor speedily somewhere?Why kids? Kids have short attention spans .Kids dont know what a mop is for

Reply #352729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BasketballSA? WOW they get blamed for everything these days.

Reply #352730 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I actually thought that Clarke's decision to leave Simpson off in the last quarter was correct, and the small lineup he went with was almost an inspired move. DJ had an off night, but I always felt we were in control. It was an ugly game though, and about the only highlight was Herbert's steal and dunk.

Reply #352731 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

No Anonymous #352730 Im not blaming BASA for crowd numbers.I would have said BASA in my comment.Its one other small factor .

Reply #352732 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Funny thing is coach reckons the team is still developing. This means a rise by one position each year will mean 36ers will be number 1 in 8 years, not bad eh

Reply #352733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was referring to this "Yes we had big wipes but the usual BasketballSA tactic they have bought replacement wipes from Cheap as Chips"

Reply #352734 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You need to leave Simpson on the bench when its foul time. Otherwise they score 2 or 3 each possession and we get stuck with Simpson on the line.

Reply #352741 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'm going to be extremely un PC here. Why do we give the only usable floor wiping device to the down syndrome girl? She doesn't know how to use it and it holds up the game EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
Get new people. People who know what they are doing (maybe some training?) and give them a tool to use that they can actually perform their job with. A towl being rubbed into the floor by foot doesn't work. A handicapped girl with a broom doesn't work. I'm sorry to have to put it this way, I have no issues with handicapped people at all, but don't make them do something they aren't capable of doing. If It's holding up the came, find something that won't.

Ok got that off my chest.

Didn't think we were in any doubt that we'd win that. And we really shouldn't lose to Wollongong.
We went inside to the bigs on our first 6 possessions or so, they weren't finishing, but it was clearly working. They were fouling, we were getting free points (well should have been).
Then at one point Marty decided that we'd go tiny. Weigh isn't a Centre, I never want to see him even as a power forward when we have 3 quality bigs. (Helliwell knows his role and plays it well).
Herbert didn't see any court time for the first half at least. Interesting move, but with Bartlett, Ng and Creek playing well he isn't needed much.
Simpson definitely has been working on his free throws. Still not at an acceptable level, but you can see he's putting in the effort.
DJ was off last night. Really wasn't taking intelligent shots.
Ng hit some tough shots.
Warren was more aggressive than I'm used to seeing which was good to see. Seems to fit well with Bartlett.
Wollongong really were an ugly team to watch last night.
Mr 1 possession offense was up to his usual tricks. Put it together in the last, but watching it back last night, in a set up offense I reckon he didn't hit double figures for passes.
Saville couldn't hit the side of a barn.
Davidson was probably the best I've seen him all year. But that isn't saying a lot. Played well though.
Gruber is horrible. How he got a gig as an import is beyond me. Then to spend multiple years as an import is even more baffling.
Forman wasn't hitting shots and that's basically all he does.

Should have won by 15+ really, but that's where we are at as a team at the moment. On the plus side, we won. And that makes consecutive wins. First time since January last year? 3 out of 4 and a reasonable showing against Perth, so we aren't doing too bad at the moment.

Reply #352742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i too don't understand why we didn't use simpson or helliwell in the last. Again why do we keep taking creek off when he is one of he better defenders and then give heaps of minutes to Ng who did nothing in the second half except keep falling over, it's like playing a man down with him on the court if he's not scoring cos his defence is terrible. if he's not "hot" scoring leave him off

Reply #352746 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id argue this team has regressed not made improvements this season. Not impressed with how long this down period, which every sports team and its fans faces time to time, is lasting with minimal improvement.

Reply #352748 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"The other factor drawing the crowd away is District have Div 1 nights on Fridays"

Game was Saturday night mate..sooo not really a factor :)

Reply #352749 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DJ was subbed out at 7:57 to go in the last. We had a five point lead. We played small ball until 4:07 to go when DJ checked back in. We still had a five point lead. But we get the usual refrain that that is bad coaching.

DJ was shooting at 4/17 for the game, which is extremely inefficient. Simpson at 2/6 and 5/10 from the line and was facing the hack-a-Shak strategy. But 4 minutes of small ball where we stayed on level pegging with the other team is cause for another call to sack the coach.

I am happy to hear some logical considered reasoning as to why a coaching change is necessary. But it seems some people have some serious agendas that they need to get over. It is easy to find fault if that is all you are ever looking for.

Reply #352753 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Coaches lose games and players win them as the saying goes

I believe this squad is trending up

Reply #352763 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

DJ was going better than Weigh . Simpson was going better than Weigh.
Weigh had 2points , same as Helliwell.
Weigh had no hope guarding Davidson.
Weigh-Clarke nepotism is lessening my emotional relationship with this club.

Reply #352769 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

XY, it was a low percentage strategy by a coach that will lead the Sixers to their worst season record in both years.

What other team is having their 6'7 small forward playing center? Perhaps go with that team against NZ next week?

I am glad we did well offensively during this period pushing the lead up to 10 before they closed it back to 5. However this low percentage strategy could have cost us the game.

DJ was shooting bad but was getting to the line. Simpsons defence could have helped in the last quarter.

Any win is good but we should have won that by double figures.

Reply #352775 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Can something be done to improve PA annoucements at the dome.I was curious in the quarter time presentationbut didnt hear a word and i was in my listening trying to listen. Happens all the time any presentation is made - hear not a word

Reply #352781 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I thout Weigh played a pretty good game other than a couple of unnecessary turnovers that are, unfortunately, a bit of a trademark. Needs to be a bit more active in offense, but was one of our better players.

KingJames, are you seriously saying that the coach was exercising poor judgment in putting on a risky combination of players and was lucky that it worked? Others might say that it was an inspired strategy from a coach amazingly in tune with game which we unfortunately stuck with for about a minute too long. You know, if you look hard enough, you might even find something positive to say. If Phil S had done the same thing we would have called him a genius (which we did, for a while).

Two months ago, we would have found a way to lose that game. It might just be me, but I am finding all of the constant bagging out of the coach win lose or draw a little dull.

Reply #352787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two months ago, we would have found a way to lose that game. It might just be me, but I am finding all of the constant bagging out of the coach win lose or draw a little dull.

More than 400 days since the 36ers had won TWO games in a row, yeah go Marty.

Reply #352788 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I would be curious to hear what King james makes of Trevor Gleeson and Gordie McLeod's coaching.
Their teams are losing and so therefore it is the coaches fault right?

Reply #352794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ was going better than Weigh . Simpson was going better than Weigh.
Weigh had 2points , same as Helliwell.
Not sure if you're talking about game totals or an earlier point in the game, but Weigh had 12 points off four FGA. 3/4 FG, 2/2 3P, 4/4 FT. Equal highest EFF in the team. Wasn't a standout game and he had four turnovers, but he only missed one shot.

I also had the 36ers line (win by 5 or more). Could see exactly how it was going to go wrong in that last minute. Arghhh.

Reply #352798 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

An earler point in the game.
Weigh had 2points for 3 quarters. Aw , gotta three in late in the third. Those numbers are very good.
Finished the game pretty good. But Weigh's (performance) at Centre was downright terrible.

Reply #352803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

down right terrible was Woodville's presentation at 1/4 time not only could you not understand what was going on, why do a 3 minute speech in a 2 minute time slot, to hold up play was inexcusable, who is to fault woodville for not timing their speech or sixers for doing it at 3/4 time and not at the half.

I'd give Clarke another year, he has changed or is changing his coaching albiet slightly, plus we are not in the position to buy a team so any coach coming in will have to rebuild again. keep the nucelous of the team together tweak a few postions. A fit Weigh etc ...I for one believe we have seen improvement this year.

And to another poster BSA doesn't supply the floor wipes or the floor wipers on an National League game. look to the stadium management who supply the mops, and to the sixers who organise groups to supply the wipers. nice try but you can't blame BSA for everything.

Reply #352819 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

According to TV news , last month , Maher Davis Stirling were gonna give Clarke mentoring.
But it's only Stirling and Maher Davis (and Woodville footy coach spoke to players).
We saw Chris get it to Ng early , to get him going,
a little less of Weigh. A little bitta improvement , in a month.

Reply #352828 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"I would be curious to hear what King james makes of Trevor Gleeson and Gordie McLeod's coaching. "

Yes and No...Wollongong has a limited budget and nowhere near the talent of Adelaide. Saville is out of form this year and it will probaly be his last because of it. Saying this..Davidson their highest scoring player didnt play the last couple of minutes of the game, having him on could have easily won the game for them since the only person we have to Defend him would be Simpson and Helliwell and Clark clearly had no intention of playing them.

Would you like to be Gleeson this season?? Alot of the Tigers problems come back to Seamus. I am more interested in Gleeson as a coach next year than I am this year. They went for Mills and never truly replaced him, sacked Corletto, sacked Ubaka and dont have a proper line up because of it.

The difference to me is Clark has a young talented line up even with the injuries we have had. The issue Clark has is the same as Neil Craig, hes not a game coach..never going to be in my opinion. He doesnt play players to their strenghts and doesnt recognise when they should and shouldnt be on the court. He is unable to change the team to suit the situation.

We didnt win saturday because of Clarks Coaching..we won because Wollongon are seriously rubbish this season.
I also have no Doubt either Mcloed or Gleeson would have done better this season than Clark has..easily infact

Reply #352854 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

XY, are you saying a 6'7 small forward as your center is a good strategy? The team was massively disadvantaged in defence and we were lucky we hit a few tough shots. Herbert hit a 3 over the out stretched hand of Saville. Creek hit a shot over Davidson. I can't remember Weighs completely but thought it was a tough shot in the situation he was in. Herbert got a steal and dunk. I can't remember if anyone else scored. If we try that strategy against NZ they will destroy us. I was happy that the strategy killed 3 minutes without us losing any points and we were able to win the game.

If Smyth (just after the championships), Goorgian or any other top coach did it I would think it is a crazy move but would have confidence since they have been successful. Now when a coach that is going to lead us to two seasons of the worst season record goes for such a low percentage strategy then that concerns me. Also those other coaches wouldn't do something like that for a reason because it is a low percentage strategy.

"Two months ago, we would have found a way to lose that game." So you feel like it was a convincing win? Those turnovers didn't worry you at all? I thought we struggled to close the game out and if we were playing a better opponent then we more then likely would have lost.

I will say another risky strategy was the full court press that was put into place a few minutes out from half time with the Sixers up by 7. Hawks got an easy layup and then an easy open 3 to bring the margin back to 2 at half with the Sixers losing momentum. Sure it is easy for me to look at that from hindsight but I don't understand why that risk was required. We had control of the game and the momentum we just needed to close out the half.

XY, I know you want me to say something positive about the coach so I will say that I was happy that he didn't play Herbert until the second half. Herbert has been given enough chances this season and Ng has been playing well lately so he deserves the minutes. When Herbert did come on he did play well to his credit and got some confidence from the steal and dunk. I will also say that I have been happy that Weighs minutes have come down finally

BFJ, McLeods coaching use to be good but I think he has lost it now. I have no idea why he doesn't use Davidson more and as Skud said he should have been out there to finish the game. Gleeson use to be good in Townsville but I don't think he has the respect of the players at the Tigers and put all his Eggs in one basket with Pat Mills with no back up plan if he left. It is interesting to see that he played walker for 30 minutes last game though.

Reply #352882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754