forcey
Years ago

36ers v Blaze

Looking forward to Adelaide's last home game for the year tonight. During the week I've been thinking Gold Coast would have to be favourite but after weighing up a few things I think Adelaide can pull off the upset.

Adelaide by 5

Game preview here

Preview of tonight's big game- 36ers v Blaze

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/preview-36ers-v-blaze-17312.html

Expecting big games from Ng,Warren, Simpson and Johnson.

Topic #27811 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the blaze lose tonight, what's the highst they can finish? if any knows?

Reply #354569 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Blaze by 11-16

Reply #354591 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Go Sixers!

Problem with the Blaze is they have lost the season series to Townsville so they need to finish higher than them. If they lose tonight, they fall to an equal win-loss record as TSV and therfore fall below them on the ladder.

Reply #354592 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Expect some dirty plays from GCB tonight.

Ray Hunt is officiating as well, so expect some RS calls to go against the Sixers. I expect Helliwell will get fouled off tonight with some calls that will get the crowd fired up. I am expecting some dodgy charge calls against the Sixers too.

Reply #354611 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can't stand the Blaze hope you guys kill them.

Reply #354616 | Report this post

Hamilton  
Years ago

Go GO GO GO Sixers!

Reply #354618 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anyone know what the pregame match is? Thanks.

Reply #354622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Police v Metro Fire

Reply #354623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11:10 pm tonight on One HD.

Reply #354631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF 11:10 why is it so late. Bloody one HD does it again and screws over the basketball fans. why are they so against basketball...

Reply #354640 | Report this post

Emu  
Years ago

Lol @ sixers

Blaze in a canter.

Reply #354641 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The lateness of the game on One is probably due to the National Swimming Championships, coincidentally held here in Adelaide.

Can't make it to the game tonight (finances dictate these things) but I hope the 36ers can pull this one off. They've played well enough lately to say that the game isn't a forgone conclusion but we need more than just DJ & Simpson firing. Warren needs to play like he's against Melbourne (ie....scoring more than 10 points) while he and Bartlett need to put more pressure on 2Hard2Guard and not let him dictate things.

And what's up with the FIBA Live Stats? Its 8:10pm and they still are not up.....

Reply #354664 | Report this post

Lt44  
Years ago

Anyone got a score update? Thanks

Reply #354668 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

HT ADL 41-48 GCB

Reply #354670 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

FIBA Stats are now up and running.....only missed half the game.

Reply #354671 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

9-0 in 4th before coach Clarke decided to call for a Timeout, this is his coaching and 6er fans anger in a nutshell.

Reply #354677 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Annnnnnnd insert sigh, atleast theyve been consistant all season. Cant help but think a better coach who demands more respect would have had a few results reversed with this particular roster. Thanks god the misery is nearly done for this season!

Reply #354678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will hudson maybe sews up his contract for next season with 21-13!

Reply #354684 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I am so sorry I was not there, pigs!

Reply #354688 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

blaze walked it in in the first while the sixers were asleep. the sixers came out firing in the second and were the better team for 98% of the remaining game.

hudson was allowed to push anyone under the ring for all of his 11 odd rebounds.

dj did his usual spin moves and as he leans forward with the extended arm was caught on the elbow everytime.

that f up with the score at the end when they notched up that 2 as a 3 then talked about it for ten minutes sucked the life out of the game when the sixers were on a high.

the sixers absolutely threw it away on that last play. the only wrong thing to do was to let wortho get to the basket and get a shot off. either stop him, or foul really hard. let him have 2 shots. you then have 4 secs with the last shot to win or it goes to a draw.

anyone see who the 2 players were involved in that worto play? one had him on his hip and shouldnt have let him get to the basket but the other help shouldve come across.

Reply #354692 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Well that was the worst reffing display of the entire season for 14 home games. How many travels, or no calls happened and were let go. The 3 second rule doesnt exist because Petrie spent half the night inside without getting calls.
Ray Hunt may have reffed 947 games but his last was a stinker as well as Geoff Weeks's.
Whats worse is when I asked or attempted after the game to have a discussion, brief it would have been with Leeanne Grantham, she said she was too busy.

Well sweetheart, that was said in full view of a few blaze fans who travelled to the game. They are suprised the CEO didnt have the time for their own members, but to run up and entertain the corporate seat holders.

If the club really thinks its members are the backbone of the club, somehow she missed that meeting. In light of this, this no longer validates the reason for an increase of membership nor does it support buying a membership early as the club doesnt technically have a product to sell.

All they have is a toffey CEO who thinks walking around with a coffee is more important. In the past, I have written emails and the odd letter to get little response and no acknowledgement so you know what, jam your membership right up yours truly Leeanne, cos until you show respect to the people who partly pay your job and lifetsyle, you wont see a cent of this.

It is also in the best interests for the club to ask the NBL for a please explain on the game. The game is now an embarassment to its origins.

I hiope you are happy 36ers and SOS.

*note to EC*; we will see what happens with regards to what we discussed. Nothing like usual. Hope you had better luck.

Reply #354693 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought it was a great game tonight, but once again, the Sixers fell at the wrong time.

Help D is non-existant. Too many easy drives to the basket. How do the Sixers defend a pick and roll?

At one stage the rebound count was something like 23 to 5 or something ridiculous.

Reply #354694 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Last quarter choke from the bench.

Steven Weigh 34 minutes with minimal offensive input.
His stats padded again in the last couple of minutes.

Weigh is an excellent and valuable player but its like having Nash back on court. He needs some pushing to get his offensive game back up to scratch. we have seen the brilliance he is capable of and currently he is being held back by the coaching protocols.

We should never have a player on the court that cannot score at will when left unattended!!!!!!

Crunch time. Lets use slow, predictable, ineffective plays and dispense with the type of basketball that kept us in this game and of course as always lose our lead.

Super crunch time,9 secs,defense, lets take out Diamon Simpson our best man under the ring. Lets bring in Herbert who is totally cold and see if he can perform a defensive miracle in a couple of cold seconds. Lets offer them a clear lane all the way to the ring.

Exra super crunch time, 2.5 sec, offense, lets leave out Diamon simpson our best offensive rebounder and best man under the ring just in case we cant inbound and need an ally oop play. Oops let take Mitch Creek out as well just in case the ally oop becomes our only option.

Slight freeze under pressure.

Very entertaining game when we didnt structure our offense. Great to see some individual agression taking thye ball to the ring. Creek even managed to slip his leash for a time and should have played most of the last quarter.
We are really missing Ballanger and an effective coaching staff.

Reply #354696 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I wont blame the players (well most of them put in a valid effort) I wont blame the umpires despite how bad some of the calls and no calls were for both teams. I will once again gladly blame our F$%King useless coach.
Weighs stats Vs Creeks stats....Why the hell was Creek benched for the last quarter, why was Weigh who had done nothing and let every player he looked like he was supposed to defend walk straight past him..that was when he didnt just turn the ball over..What 5 or 6 times for the game. Creek had more points, more rebounds and less turn overs. You dont even need to look at the energy he brings to the court for the team, tonight he was the man that SHOULD and under any real coach WOULD have been on the court.
Simpson sat down for 8 minutes from the first to the second quarter..he once again scored 21 points and 11 rebounds. DJ meanwhile DIDNT OUT REBOUND CREEK!!!! DJ also cause a STUPID unsportsmanlike (unless it was a tech) that ended up causing us the game. With his idiotic shot selection and that unsportsmanlike I would have had him sitting on the bench instantly.

On the up side Simpson showed what I have been saying for months..If he is given crazy training on free throws he will score 20+ points a game. His shooting tonight was much better than we have seen before and gave him and the team an extra 7 points...worthwhile putting that effort into with his 11 rebounds.

With regards to Leanne not stopping to talk to you. Do you expect Leanne to talk to every member after the game because they want a brief discussion, especially after a 1 point loss. While it would be nice if she could have spoken to you I doubt any CEO of any large business will speak to a single random customer without an appointment, if I was in her shoes I would have declined as well.

Reply #354699 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Hey D.O.N, being a bit unfair on the CEO.

Tonight was her last opportunity to engage with sponsors on game night so I can understand why that would have been a priority. Furthermore it's no secret that keeping sponsors happy and endeavours to attract new sponsors has been a difficult task these last couple of years. And lets be honest, $360,000 per season v 10/20/50 thousand a season, I know who I would be giving my time to if I were in her shoes. I just hope she extended to you the opportunity to communicate with her when she had more time.

Alternatively, perhaps she had to get home so she could put the green jeans and body hugging top in the wash so it would be dry in time to wear tomorrow.

Reply #354702 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Skud, you bring a good point but given other clubs like the Blaze actually answer their emails from members where as I have sent her more than three emails and 1 letter to her so, this points out the Adelaide 36ers have no interest therefor validating the point they see members as nothing more than cash cows.

I had a blaze fan and friend with me, and he was astounded she couldnt give a rats. But hey, I dont give a toss, because if membership drops or the club collapses due to poor membership in 12/13, she is unemployed.

At least with that I can see the divide so when the club calls and tried to cold sell me a membership later this year, i got all the reasons to decline.

When she no longer has a job, bet that latte will keep her company :)

Reply #354703 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Big Ads, I agree that keeping the sponsors happy is a very important facet of club activity but the other SOS crew do a very good job of that also.

I am not saying I want love, but clubs like member feedback and the feedback forms the club sends out which we complete online are generally used for marketing only.

No, no opportunity was extended to join her in brief discussion hence why my disappointment.

I reckon she has a few pairs of green/gold pants and body hugging tops a lot like marge simpson has white beaded necklaces. :)

Guess its ok for others to name bash Weigh, Aaron Bruce and others but not the pride of the CEO-ship.

Reply #354705 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

will say that dunk by weigh was awesome. so many players would have pulled out of that at the last second and flipped it in. he made sure it was going in so props for that.

we look safer when creek is on court. i dont know what we are gonna do next year when weigh is contracted and balls gets a likely contract on what he has done for us in the past. it makes it hard to play creek for big minutes.

core of the team next year should be

dj
simpson
creek
pass first controlled capable defensive pg.

then build around that.

to be honest i think we need a quality tall to help with dj and simpson but if we are running with balls we are tied. everywhere our hands are tied.

ideally

c- dj

pf-simpson / c-pf aron baynes or import 6'10 strong rebounder box out type.

sf-creek/ weigh

sg-ng/ herbert

markovic or import pass first strong defensive pg

go after an unlikely newley.

Reply #354707 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Plain and simply, the rebounding cost us. Only Diamon and Mitch "attacked" the boards tonight.

These didn't help

-Not inbounding the ball cleanly on the last play
-Warren's end to the first half. With almost 24 seconds on the clock he takes a quick drive and turns the ball over 9instead of winding the clock down and getting a good last second shot). Gold Coast run the floor, get fouled and hit 1/2 free throws. Warren drives again on the last play and turns the ball over.
-DJ's unsportsmanlike

If you're blaming the refs you watch the game with only one eye. DJ got away with some dirty stuff too.

Full review up on my blog, check it out

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/and-that-pretty-much-sums-it-up-36ers-v.html

Reply #354709 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Skud, I thoroughly disagree with you about Leanne taking the time to speak to an individual customer. I sent her an email about a month ago about my disappointment in the team this year. One month is plenty of time to get a response but nothing at all from her. She is dodging the fans because she does not have a reassuring answer to give and then expects them to cough up their hard earned money to buy a season ticket which has increased in price almost 20% and expects the money to come in a lot earlier this time. dave-blocknorth is correct in saying the club does not have a product to sell yet, well atleast not one worth buying.

I went upstairs after the game for the interviews. I went up around half an hour after the game finished and Leanne was already speaking to the crowd up there. She encouraged people to commit to their drive in selling new season memberships and stressed that the club's plan for next season was to make the top 4. She did not ask for questions after her speech as I desperately wanted to say to her, if you have a plan for making the top 4, what is it that will change from the previous 2 seasons to enable this to happen? I think anyone contemplating buying a new season membership would like to know this.

My next gripe comes with our wonderful (not) coach. I know a lot has been written about him on this forum which is less than complimentary but tonight he stooped to an all time low. He was interview by Brett Maher, amd Brett asked him what his game plan was for the coming Cairns game on the road. He said it was to win by 100. I hate Cairns, I hate anyone who is not a 36ers supporter, he said. When asked what his game plan for the Wollongong game was, he said the same thing, to win by 100. We are going to kick Matt Campbell out the door. This comment reminded me of the Julius Hodge stomp on Brett's signature on court. Matt Campbell with 17 years in the one club and the person who a few years ago resurrected the Hawks from a painful death by successfully rallying local support commands respect. He is to the Hawks what Brett Maher was to the 36ers. Just shows his arrogance, disrespect and that he is a sore loser.

Skud, on a footnote, a 1 point loss was all the more reason she should have stopped for a conversation. She actually could have said something positive about it, like we did very well against a team who is clearly superior to us on the ladder and to only lose it by 1 point. Also something like, what an exciting display of basketball the 36ers played tonight. The crowd were very entertained. Or, what a wonderful come back to take a 6 point lead after being down by up to 12 points. She could have sold a membership to dave-blocknorth instead of having him feeling that its not worth renewing next season, just by showing she cares about fan's comments.

Reply #354712 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Terrible defensive sub at the end bringing in two cold players!

Reply #354713 | Report this post

fletch  
Years ago

An awesome game, i dunno what a lot of you guys are bitching about. The reffing was quite even. With a few bad calls going both ways. Be happy with a good close game. Adelaide look the goods next season if they keep warren, simpson and johnson with ballinger and crosswell coming back next season will be a very good team.

Reply #354715 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

as much as i love warrens shooting we cant bring him back.

he is one of the best shooters i have seen in a few years in the nbl. has no right hitting some of those quickfire jumpers. to be honest he is just a slightly more reliable ng. we have ng and he costs us alot less. we need a quality pg.

Reply #354718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully this was the last we see of Marty Clarke! How good is that, always have to see the glass half full...

Reply #354719 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Can't blame the defensive lineup we threw out for the last play. Gold Coast continually ran plays throughout the game we couldn't stop. Smart team.

Reply #354722 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

That has notthing to do with it. Coming in cold you take a while to pick up the pace of the game, why not stick with the lineup that gave you the lead?

Reply #354725 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well if SOS did not know they had a problem then they only have to go to this site as here we are 1 day after game and only mid 30 posts where previous years being 80-- 100 at least.
Yes the game was exciting and could have won and fought back well but again our coach blew it and blew it bad.
Creek one of best games getting splinters whilst his boy steven played on and on with turnover after turnover and no defence and was key in turnovers when we lost our 10 point lead.
Simpson again rewarded by benching when playing well.
Then Gold Coast last play to win , I lent over to mate and said they will get Gibson for open shot or most likely they will get it to Worthington to charge at basket, well we know what happened.
Does that make me clever hell no at least 90 % of crowd knew what was going to happen but not our coach who not only let the gate open but took of Diamon one of stronger inside players .
Then of course we had a great play organised for last play yep just throw it into nowhere.
Well I convinced my group of 7 to remain season ticket holders again this year but if this turkey is coaching again there is no way we will be back after every year since been at powerhouse.
There is only one thing as bad as his coaching and that is his attitude and PR skills to general public but more importantly the members that pay his wages .
I feel for what is left of SOS as have tried but keep getting it wrong and was hoping the young members of our group would have had the enjoyment of exciting basketball I have done.
Whether CEO could have or should have taken time to talk to a fan not sure but all game she parades around back and forth one side of court to over going nowhere so could be in corporate then or just watch b----y game.
Never thought I would give up my seats but real effort to go now and just get totally frustrated.
We were lucky Blaze were average as our defence was non existent most of night

Reply #354752 | Report this post

Foxy36  
Years ago

With comments about being treated poorly by Leeanne, the coach and club. I thought with no one from their head office replying to emails, why not post on here your thoughts about the year just gone. I am sure someone there will read it....surely!!

I feel appointing Leeanne was a good decision for SOS at the time as how we're they to know she would turn out to be a stuck up person with no time for members and from what I have seen from the stands treats her staff really poorly. She seems on a complete power trip ordering everyone around aggressively with no consideration to the fact that most if not all game day staff would imo be volunteers.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years and like most other people on here( and on game night I have heard AT LEAST 100 people say they won't renew) I am struggling to convince myself to renew next year. Not because I dont love the team and sport but because of not enjoying the night. Especially not winning much at home and not having a home final now for I don't know how long. How lucky are Perth? 26years in a row of being in playoffs. THAT SHOULD BE US TOO!

So post away my fellow members, ticket holders and corporates. Who did well this year and what do you want to see going ahead? From the court wipers to the team manager and strength guy, from development player to the coach and CEO. Were any of them any good? I'm not sure.

Reply #354760 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Even the new youngish on court announcer suck this year as could not understand half he was saying.
Even Murray lost energy at season end.

Reply #354765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think any of the above really matters. How many players have been signed for next season in the last 4-6 weeks ? I think that will tell you this may have been the last game in Adelaide that the 36ers will ever play. Its done !!!

Reply #354774 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I had a feeling this might be case but why all the flyers etc for next year season tickets with picture of weigh who believe only one that is signed

Reply #354776 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

EC I completely agree with you in regards to emails, I would also say that if you stick around for 30minutes then yes Leanne should take the time to talk to you. However minutes after the game ending any CEO is going to have commitments and can not stop and talk to ever member who wants a discussion..or she would have to commit to talking to 5000 people. Theres a big difference in talking to her 30mins after the game compared to 1 minute after the game.

I bloody hope I never hear or see Clark again especially after the comments he has made to the media..what sort of an Idiot is he Maher must have walked away from that shaking his head.

Reply #354787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754