John
Years ago

Gleeson sacked, Anstey new Tigers coach

As close to official as it gets.
Stupid decision IMO. Anstey has now had a say in getting rid of Lindsay Gaze, Al Westover and Trevor Gleeson.
Cant see him being a good coach

Topic #28003 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

official source?

There's been a lot of smoke for some time it seems

Reply #357345 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Do the tigers have to pay out Gleeson's contract? If so, whynot keep him on in an admin role given you have to keep paying him anyway.

Reply #357346 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nothing official yet, but the rumours are growing and the drums are beating...

Reply #357350 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Anstey "might" be a good coach at this level...but as a tigers "legend" he has bought himself at least 2 seasons of grace to prove he can coach!

The thing i don't understand is just because you could play doesn't mean you can coach! We have seen it in all sports, before becoming a head coach you really need to cut your teeth at the lower level or become an assistant coach for a few years to prove you can coach as man management is not a skill you require when your playing and really is a vital skill to have when coaching!

Reply #357351 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Would Anstey have to give up playing and coaching his Big V team this season?????

Reply #357355 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

god help any team that has chris anstey as a coach.

Reply #357356 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anstey currently coaches Camberwell in Big V Div 1 and they have started the season 4-0 he has also played a bit.

Reply #357359 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Dumb decision by the dumbest team in the league.

Not to say that Anstey won't be any good (i know nothing of his coaching, but know that he didn't seem like the kind of player who would become a good coach...a big man who was scared to play in the post..?), but Gleeson is in the top tier of coaches in this league, and his team was dismantled from underneath him by Seamus mid season losing his franchise guy in Ubaka, after already losing his previous franchise guy in Mills...

Tigers brass obviously over-estimated their talent this year, they finished exactly where I expected them to finish. I didn't have them making the finals even WITH Mills sticking around...

Reply #357362 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, what is your source here? Post anonymously if you have one...

Reply #357364 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Just a thought: but if this does happen and Gleeson's contract has to be paid out, then would it be worth Adelaide looking at him now, given they might effectively might not have to pay him for the upcoming season?

Reply #357368 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They would still have to pay him, but that would be a damn good pick-up for Adelaide if so...

Reply #357370 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

But it wouldn't be his full price Mick, like the Ubaka situation with Wollongong.

Reply #357371 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

True. Either way I think they should go for it, for sure.

Reply #357374 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Gleeson won't end up in Adelaide, so stop dreaming!

Marty will get this last year of his deal as he is the key in the negotiations with a few signings!

In respect ot Anstey 4-0 in Big V Div 1 doesn't mea much as it is a micky mouse competiton with little scouting etc. Really you need to cut your teeth at Champ level at least or SEABL level.

Reply #357375 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

These players names who keep getting thrown around whenever a coaching position opens up should really spend some time as an assistant if they are serious about it.

Reply #357379 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So has anyone got a source on this yet...?

Or just the same rumours that have been floating around for weeks?

Reply #357381 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Not to say that Anstey won't be any good (i know nothing of his coaching, but know that he didn't seem like the kind of player who would become a good coach...a big man who was scared to play in the post..?), but Gleeson is in the top tier of coaches in this league, and his team was dismantled from underneath him by Seamus mid season losing his franchise guy in Ubaka, after already losing his previous franchise guy in Mills...

Mick: did you really, honestly think Mills was gonna be there all season? Gleeson cut Corletto to get Mills for a few weeks during the lockout and then bitched and moaned like a school girl in the media when NZ picked him up lol. His team was already on a downward spiral when Ubaka was sacked and he never righted the ship

Reply #357385 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Good Lord!!

Reply #357387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New owners are absolutely disgraceful if this is true. I hear they're trying to make Anstey head coach but they can't afford to pay out Trev so I expect them to sneak Anstey in some sort of role. Anstey over Gleeson, that's hilarious. They should change their name to the Melbourne Clowns. If I was Trev, I'd want to take my money and get out of that organisation.

Reply #357388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact Trigger was also behind Al's sacking last year and is the reason behind Gleeson's trouble as well.

Reply #357389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone really care about this stuff? Nothing even official yet, same guys who all claim to have the facts, but cant say where they got it from, and cant say for fact anything has happened. Anstery wont be flash, but not like Gleeson was even a C grade mark for last season. Got to succeed in this league with a talented roster or your done, its a business.

Reply #357391 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Trigger wasn't behind Al getting the flick, it was obvoius he had lost the drive to coach Melbourne and needed a fresh start (I think he'd be great at Sydney!)

Reply #357392 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Gleeson has been fired. I can confirm that much.

Reply #357393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher obviously not a Kings watcher...

Reply #357394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@natwhereyouat what's your source? So have the Tigers paid out Gleeson? Couldn't be cheap to do that. Good for him if so, can't imagine what it would be like working with Anstey!

Reply #357395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson hasn't been sacked but they will employ Anstey as Director of Coaching. They're trying to push out Gleeson because they can't afford to pay him out. Dirty, ruthless business people own Dodo so I feel for poor Trev.

Reply #357396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson just made too many dumb decisions to be honest. Thought they might offer the job to someone with SEABL coaching experience though.

I thought the Tigers played real well with D-Mac as coach when he replaced Westover.

Reply #357398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't it be funny if Anstey ends up sacking Trigger? Wouldn't that be a slap in the face to him considering he was the instigator of all this!

Reply #357399 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Not sure why everyone assumes Trigger was the cause of all the issues and forced the Tigers hands on either coach!

People really need to look at the management of the Tigers as opposed to players/coaches as it really comes down to a lack of good management structures that got them into this mess!

(I know Al won't get Kings gig but thought he'd have been top of the list if i was head hunting for the coaching gig)

Reply #357405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes thats right Trigger, was the reason Gleeson was/is going to be sacked. Has nothing to do with the pitiful season they had with a very solid roster full of guys who could put big numbers up. Please, i liked Gleeson there, even more reason to dislike the Tigers! Mind you Anstey and Heal as head coaches, would make up for the Goorj days when coaches were booed! Good for the game, having villains!

Reply #357406 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Bring him in to replace Radford at the LEAST. He might also be willing to sign head Coach for cheap and reduce Clark to waterboy

Reply #357407 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

It's going to be a fun season watching Anstey and Heal fail spectacularly.

Reply #357417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson made as a scapegoat for an owner who made all the decisions
this is a coach who won coach of the year and had to move to melbourne due to personal reasons. given no choice on how to build his team and was left with a mess. the guy needs a shot building it his way. he is a proven leader and head coach in the nbl

trigger has been talking around basketball circles for past few months he wanted out of melbourne along with other melbourne players. if gleeson goes it will be another poor year for melbourne

letting the players run the asylum is crazy

rumour has it trigger couldnt handle the work load and style of gleeson so started to just call it in since ubaka left. trigger was benched due to his lack of commitment to the program gleeson wanted in place.

unfortunately it sounds like trigger got his way. sad day for melbourne and also shows the true character of tragardh. only out for himself and his own situation, doesnt like it when the chips are down. seems like he has a big ego problem.

wonder how many clubs trigger made contact with over the past two months about wanting to move from the tigers? rumour has it at least three club he approached.

Reply #357426 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

a bit slow answering who my sources are, but i can say they come from anstey himself who is telling people he has the job 'but don't tell anyone'.
they don't want to pay out gleeson so they'll slowly push him out

Reply #357435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a thought: but if this does happen and Gleeson's contract has to be paid out, then would it be worth Adelaide looking at him now, given they might effectively might not have to pay him for the upcoming season?

I agree with this.

Reply #357436 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I cant see Gleeson just accepting this and walking out? I would think he will push back and expect to see this one end up in the courts.

Reply #357437 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How exactly do you slowly push someone out without paying out their contract?

Is this just going to be a case of the board breathing down his neck and giving him no decision making ability until he resigns?

The reigning coach of the year...?

Anstey should be ashamed of himself if he's playing any part in this.

Don't you think it's a coincidence that Gleeson made the playoffs year after year with undermanned Townsville sides and then makes a shift to the Tigers and all of a sudden struggles.

I think it's clear where the problem lies, and it's not Gleeson...

Reply #357447 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I always admired what Gleeson was able to get out of his Townsville teams. But there has certainly been something very badly wrong at Tigerland this year. They still got more wins that us though!

Reply #357455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what did gleeson get out of his townsville teams that they arent doing with him gone? without hinder all year and schenscher for a fair chunk of it.
he never made a grand final, and now they're one game away

Reply #357458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How exactly do you slowly push someone out without paying out their contract?

Just do exactly what Seamus did to Westover. Sacked him as coach but not as an employee of the club (he still had 2.5 years left on his contract at the time), telling him if he still wanted to keep getting paid he would have to turn up to Tigers HQ 9-5 Mon-Fri. No doubt to sit at an empty desk in the corner of the room. So Westover walked out on his contract and went to Japan.

It seems this exactly the same sort of tactics the Tigers are using again to get Gleeson to walk out on his deal, constant speculation, giving Anstey a 'director of coaching' job etc.

Reply #357459 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Mick - there's a post on Ozhoops stating that Anstey has been made "Director of Basketball" at the Tigers

Just checked the Tigers' club web page and it's announced there. So that's pretty official.

Reply #357462 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I wouldnt get your hopes up on adelaide getting him. his whole reason for moving to Melbourne was because of his sick wife wasnt it?? so why move to adelaide to be away from his wife? he may aswell have just stayed in T'ville.

Isnt a new melbourne team starting up for next season? if so he would most likely be on their radar than anyone else i would have thought.

both statements above are pure speculation

Reply #357463 | Report this post

JQ  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/tigers/news/article/2012/april/melbourne-tigers-welcome-back-chris-anstey/

Reply #357468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville was one game away last year and what Trev built over 5 years is continuing to reap rewards and will for years to come.

Reply #357472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevs wife had surgeries but I think she's done with all that now. He has a young family so am sure he would go where he needs to. Having said that, if I were him I'd stick it out considering he signed a 3 year deal!

Reply #357489 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow, Melbourne Clowns is right! Can't believe they go to all the effort to bring Gleeson down to Melbourne, sign up another dumb, unbalanced roster and then sack the coach when it all predictably falls apart!

I must say, TERRIBLE decision by the Sixers to lock DJ up when they could have got into an exciting bidding war with Anstey for his one time understudy! What were they thinking?!?! ;-)

If the Sixers could get Gleeson cheap enough to pay out Clark without compromising their roster, it'd have to be worth a look.

Tiger Watcher, which players do think might not sign if Clarke isn't in Adelaide next season? Newley? Creek?

Reply #357498 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Newley has about the same chance of signing with the Sixers as I do...

Reply #357512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I think landing Newley is highly unlikely he's signed with the 36ers once before Mick.

Reply #357536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #459 that's called constructive dismissal and very illegal.

Reply #357573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that's exactly what they seem to be doing....certaintly doesn't seem legal. I hope Gleeson has a good lawyer and takes it to them.

Reply #357587 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It all depends on the wording of the contract. If that doesnt expressly specify position within the organisation then the Tigers would be within their rights to change his role as long as they met the obligations of the contract.

Reply #357601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have been told his contract is a great one in terms of him being head coach but the loop hole is that he doesn't need to have a say in the team selection. So Anstey can pick the team but Trev is the coach of them. What a joke and how can that organization demand respect when they basically have 4 coaches. Pretty difficult role for Gleeson when he has no say in the team.

Reply #357620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many specualtions. Why would the Tigers appoint Anstey to be Director of Basketball in the first instance and then shortly sack Gleeson? Make no sense at all. Grassy knoll, or Torrens water.

Reply #357665 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Don't like all this hating on Anstey, I wish him all the best if he has got an opportunity to coach the Tigers.
Seeing what he has done with a fairly average Camberwell Dragons BigV roster the previous season and 4 games so far this season proves that he can obviously coach. Good luck to him and to be honest I'm fairly happy Trevor Gleeson has been replaced if this is true.

Reply #357884 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Considering that other NBL team players were saying this on Saturday, I'm surprised that it's not an early announcement this morning.

Reply #357891 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

BB- Will Anstey stay on as player/ coach with Campbewell in Big V or will he hand it over to someone else to concentrate on the Tigers??

Reply #357894 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

JJ- I wouldn't know what Anstey is going to do, I am just a follower of Blackburn in the BigV so have had a good look at the Camberwell side over the last year. I don't actually know Chris personally so wouldn't be able to say. It would be good for BigV and for Camberwell for him to continue on though.

Reply #357901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the title should be amended to specualtion, rather that what it says.

Reply #357999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754