skip
Years ago

A Sixers team with no Imports?

What would people think of running with an All Australian line up? Surely there is enough talent below to create a great team. Add the small possibility of bringing a Euro player home as well. You then have the option to replace an injured player with an import if needs be.

Would the lack of imports be a deterrent for fans though?

FREE AGENT LIST - Aussies (and Kiwis)
Aaron Bruce
Adam Ballinger
Alex Gynes
Alex Pledger
Anatoly Bose
Ben Allen
Bennie Lewis
BJ Anthony
Brad Hill
Cameron Tragardh
Chris Cedar
Daniel Dillon
Daniel Jackson
Darren Ng
David Gruber
Dean Brebner
Dillon Boucher
Drew Williamson
Glen Saville
Greg Hire
Ian Crosswhite
James Harvey
Jarred Weeks
Jason Cadee
Jeff Dowdell
Jeremiah Trueman
Julian Khazzouh
Kerry Williams
Kevin White
Larry Davidson
Leon Henry
Lucas Walker
Luke Cooper
Luke Nevil
Matt Burston
Michael Cedar
Mitch Creek
Mitch Norton
Nathan Herbert
Rhys Martin
Tim Coenraad
Tim Lang
Tommy Garlepp
Tyson Demos

Topic #28190 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Alex Pledger is signed.

Reply #360117 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

There are already rumours that Creek, Tragardh & Bruce will all be here.

Could we see something like this?

Johnson / Burston
Tragardh / Ballinger
Weigh / Bose
Creek / Ng
Bruce / Crosswell

Just an example, no idea on points cap and realise most people would despise that line up.

Can you make a line up from the free agents above that you think could work, based on who we have already signed as well?

Reply #360123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon that line up would be ok, not a huge improvement on last years team though with Bruce and Trigger effectively taking the import spots. It is also fairly realistic from rumours and my guestimates of points and $$.

I would love to see Bose a 36er but other roumours seem to have him heading to Europe, so may be unlikely, maybe we end up with Dillon instead, which isnt too bad either, but Bose would definatly be my first choice.

I dont mind the idea of no imports if we get good Aussies, Bruce was as good as most import PGs last year and given Clarkes selections i would be happy to have a proven player take the spot, atleast we know what we are getting and can build from their, with Crosswell as a steady back up it could work well.

Reply #360128 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Trying to be realistic

Johnson/Trueman
Trigger/Ballinger
Weigh/Ng
Creek/Dillon
Bruce/Crosswell

I know Ng isn't a SF but I would start Creek at SG over Ng or Dillon

Reply #360130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need imports, they put bums in seats, just need to recruit better ones. So nah i dont think itd work from a business point of view and unless you get the perfect match with the perfect coach, would be trouble on court too.

Reply #360132 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Safe to say you can take Ballinger off any 36ers team scenario.

He will turn up at Kings or Tigers despite not being able to prove he can play right now

Reply #360140 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think you need imports as such.....wins and success will bring the fans through the doors regardless of who is on the roster.

Reply #360164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Tornado.

We started the 01/02 championship season with only one import (Farley) and then added Matt Garrison after he was cut by Cairns during the season.

Started the following season with only one import too (Charles Thomas) and then signed Dusty around mid-season when he was cut by the Victoria Giants.

Reply #360182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love it.

And agree with above, wins bring crouds, not the imports.

Reply #360209 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Imports bring flare and excitement which in turns brings the crowds as much if not more than wins.

Reply #360216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankyou skid my point exactly. It is what it is, Aussie players don't have the flare the willie farleys bring to the entertainment side of things.

Reply #360226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tragardh is not coming here.

Reply #360233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so where were the crouds this season with two imports and minimal wins?

Reply #360234 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The crowds this year were pretty good I would have thought for a wooden spooner team. Up there with the highest in the league on average.

I think the offseason tedium on this site has set in early this year.

Reply #360242 | Report this post

Emu  
Years ago

Why does Isaac think he knows more than anyone else here?

Reply #360260 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

^^^^^^ how to spot a newb

Reply #360262 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac - I was getting worried about that.

Reply #360282 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Remember that the Captain has to start.
Things are tough out there.
Weigh comes out late , but leaves early
to make up for it.
Walks around , looks at the bike , looks at the massage table , but he walks away.
Waste of space.
Burston played here , but never gotta phone call.
Weigh lovers don't like Bruce.

Reply #360285 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Makes a strong man lose his mind.

Reply #360287 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The thing that stands out for me on that list is the lack of starter quality guards. Plenty of bigs who could fill an import equivalent role, but guards really aren't strong.
Bruce, Dillon, Martin and Bose are probably the best guards there and you probably wouldn't want to hand your most important spot on your roster to either of them.
Forward/Centre wise, you could happily give import money and minutes to Crosswhite or Khazzouh. Then depending on your other players, Ballinger, Nevill or Tragardh could fill a strong starting 5 position too. Pledger or Davidson could back up your main big too in a Will Hudson type import role.
I wouldn't be too unhappy with a 1 import line up with a PG import, but I think you need to have a guard import. This would change if the likes of Gibson, Martin, Markovic, Newley etc. became available of course.

Reply #360295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you 100% sure Isaac? I think you will find he is tossing up between us and another team and it's 50-50. That's unless he has changed his mind in the last 12 hours?

Reply #360299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, it's what I was told, but could be wrong.

People can compare Tragardh to Ballinger, but Ballinger has been a strong three point shooter in the past while Tragardh doesn't even attempt them. Maybe DJ can keep developing some range and compensate.

Reply #360335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac your'e always on the money and you may be right yet again but as of saturday were very much in the mix. Bogut also thinks he might be heading our way from his twitter.

Reply #360340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger's also a better rebounder & shot-blocker than Tragardh. Disappoints me how little respect Balls seems to be getting from the 36ers at the moment. He should've been locked up right after DJ was.

Reply #360350 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Like tiger fans have said before please send him to Melbourne.Adam has been described as a family man something the tigers are trying to build,as a family warm club his history with the Gong says the same very respected by all.So if the 36ers are showing no love the tigers love you,go with the love.

Reply #360353 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Imports will always be needed because there is not enough talent in Australia to go around all the teams. If Adelaide had first choice of all the players it needed from Skip's list, then we wouldn't need imports. Realistically, we are not going to get too many of the best from that list.

Reply #360375 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

All reports are anon is that he is getting as good ad he gives. Two way street.

Reply #360380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:50 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754