P34
Years ago

My redesign of the Boomers Jerseys

Hey all,

New to the site and something of an NBL novice
(trying to remedy that though).

Thought I'd share my idea for a new Boomers Jersey that I designed.

I'm currently running a blog called Project Thirty Four where I attempt to redesign NBA jerseys. This is my first attempt at an Australian kit and I'll probably start looking at doing some NBL teams in the near future.

There's certainly room for improvement with what teams are wearing right now. I guess it's difficult with sponsor integration and all.

Anyways, let me know what you think and check out my blog or follow me on FB for future designs.

Link to the designs below! (hopefully it works).

http://projectthirtyfour.blog.com/2012/07/03/australia-boomers/

Topic #28686 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great Job P34

I like it "Bold & Simple"

Boomers take note!!!!!!!

Reply #369089 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Ill have 1 of the green Mills jersey in XL thanks. Thats a jersey people would be proud to wear. The previous ones look like you should be driving a bulldozer as resembles hi viz clothing.

nice simple design, i really like the iconography, a list of past boomers would also be nice. BA should use these designs.....

Reply #369090 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like it too.

Bold, simple and very eye catching.

Reply #369092 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Great work mate. You'd get the job if it was my decision. I love the incorporation of the coat of arms too. I've always thought that either that coat of arms or the flag should be on the uniform, so well done on that. Definitely less is more, as evidenced by the NZ uniforms of the past couple of years. The other thing that annoys me about the Boomers uniforms (aside from the colours and other things you mentioned) is that they change slightly every single year. I believe they need to go with a design such as yours, and stick with it for a few years to build some pride in pulling on the uniform. Sure the guys are proud to be Boomers and represent Australia, but I'm sure if you asked them, they wouldnt be proud of the uniform.

Reply #369093 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Ill have 1 of the green Mills jersey in XL thanks. Thats a jersey people would be proud to wear. The previous ones look like you should be driving a bulldozer as resembles hi viz clothing.

nice simple design, i really like the iconography, a list of past boomers would also be nice. BA should use these designs.....

Reply #369095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd buy a Boomers jersey if they weren't so awful. This is one I would buy. Good work, submit it to BA. The Opals got a new Uniform, so maybe the Boomers will follow?

How long has the current jersey been around for?

Reply #369096 | Report this post

budgie  
Years ago

looks awesome!!!
I would include the Australian flag on the left shoulder.
Lets see what you can do with some of the NBL jerseys

Reply #369098 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

And while you're at it P34, I know you talked about how much work a rebrand was with the Rockets, but I reckon you should do the Melbourne Tigers to show them how it should have been done!

Reply #369102 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Another thing that really annoys me about BA merchandise at the moment, they asked fans to come to the Farewell Games in green and gold, but a lot of their merchandise (jackets, jumpers and some t-shirts) were navy blue and white. That just makes no sense! Take a page out of the Perth Wildcats book, if you want the fans to wear a certain color/s to the game, make sure they're the only colors you can buy!

Reply #369104 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Reminds me of Nike college jerseys which I like. I think adidas will make the Olympic uniforms though, being official Olympic uniform supplier. Still don't know why we went with Peak as a sponsor. I know they're trying to get a foot in the door here distribution wise and Nike & adidas won't sponsor us but still!!!

Reply #369110 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Nice work mate, I love the white strip, it looks really classy and that's not a colour the Boomers have used before.

Would love to see some simple striping down the side to balance out the colour but this is much better than what they have right now.

I remember in the mid 90s the national team also had jerseys which had 'Boomers' written on the front.

Although I think that would be too informal for international events such as the Olympics, or WC, it would be cool if they had an alternate jersey with that for exhibition games.

Somebody show KK these designs.

Reply #369111 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

threeball, the Aussies have gone with a white uniform once before. It had that full Boomers logo on the front, and we wore it against the USA in an exhibition game in Melbourne (along with a few other games) prior to the Sydney Olympics.

Forgive me I dont know how to post photos in here, but you can see the uniform at - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vB7_XlsLCbc/SJcKAanIQgI/AAAAAAAAAN8/A6tACerOy1w/s320/boomers+v+carter.jpg

Reply #369113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hate to be the downer, but not really a fair comparison without the required logos and sponsors. All jerseys would look simpler without them but it's not quite reality. Wonder if you could accommodate them without impacting the simple look by putting one at the neck (in a dark triangle) and another as a wraparound on a strap?

Bit like designing a newspaper website - all loads of fun until you have to put the advertising in, and then it's very hard to keep it decent.

It's always amused me that some of the most popular jerseys (Euro football) are so laden with logos. Same sort of thing with cyclists in lycra - they're billboards!

Reply #369115 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Can you redesign some NBL jerseys please

Reply #369117 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Issac, given that the Boomers don't have a major sponsor at the moment, I think the timing is fitting!

Reply #369119 | Report this post

P34  
Years ago

Isaac,

Completely agree. I was going to mention that in the write-up but forgot. I know first hand how difficult sponsors can be.

Not to say that sponsors can't be integrated easily. I'll keep it in mind for my NBL designs.

Do the Olympics allow for corporate sponsorship though?

Vart,

Shaking my head at the Tigers logo. They should actually be embarrassed with that effort.

Reply #369125 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I totally agree about the Tigers logo P34!

In respect of the Olympics, no, they don't allow corporate sponsorship. But they don't allow sporting teams to wear uniforms of their own design either (I note you mention at the start of your article 'have a look below at the uniforms the Boomers will be wearing at the Olympics' - thats not correct), all uniforms are designed and manufactured by adidas for the Olympics. The Boomers wear their Peak uniforms for all other competitions.

Reply #369127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think boomers one is awesome, but all the NBA ones are not really designs they are just a single plain colour with a different colour number/letters. Need to be a bit more creative and not play it so safe on every single design. Bold and simple is only strong if it is unique, otherwise it is just boring and they are all the same!

Reply #369130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another little thing I noticed, any ideas for longer surnames, such as Dellavedova?

Reply #369131 | Report this post

P34  
Years ago

Noted Vart.

Will update my post.

Reply #369132 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Big fan of the designs P34!

Reply #369137 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Thanks for the info Vart. Yes I remember now.

That pic also brought back memories of that ill-tempered game when VC was being a punk and took it out on Gaze; and one of the refs dislocated his elbow after smacking into one of the USA players.

Hammer looks like he's ready to take out another dream teamer...

Reply #369138 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

wow, that's amazing stuff P34!

Maybe make the coat of arms smaller and add in the peak logo, but other than that it would be an awesome olympic jersey

Reply #369146 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's always amused me that some of the most popular jerseys (Euro football) are so laden with logos. Same sort of thing with cyclists in lycra - they're billboards!

Tell me this doesn't look good, I dare you!

Or this one!

Reply #369147 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

P34 These look awesome!!

I'll take one of each thanks!!

Reply #369155 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I'll take one of both please

Reply #369160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dude that is awesome work keep it up - you should be doing all jerseys

I would purchase your jersey tomorrow if had the chance, the one they currently wear i would not.

Reply #369162 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Love the green Kds! Custom Nike elites with green stripe would look great to go with the green jerseys. Would be sweet if Boomers were to be sponsored by nike. Great job P34!!!

Reply #369163 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

P34- awesome work. Could you (when you get a chance) put together some
nbl jersey designs? And possibly enter into a-league as well? Love your work!!

Reply #369166 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Hey KET - this is off the topic, but do you reckon you could please post some instructions about how to 'quote' and paste pictures in here? Thanks.

Reply #369185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Vart, the coat of arms is already on the current version, just smaller and on the right breast.

Great job P34

Reply #369186 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon, you're right, it is, but only because they've included the Australian Sports Commission as a quasi sponsor. The coat of arms and/or flag have not always been a part of Boomers uniforms.

Reply #369190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vart, it's normal HTML.

To quote, wrap in BLOCKQUOTE tags but be sure to close your tag, e.g.,

<blockquote>This is my paragraph of quoted text.</blockquote>

Double check everything before you post. Make sure you have that / in the closing tag.

For images, refer here.

Reply #369192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart a simple google search of Australian Boomers Image shows the coat of arms has pretty much always been there. About the 3rd pick is of Brett Maher with the Coat of Arms smack bang right there.

http://corporate.olympics.com.au/athlete/brett-maher

Reply #369197 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon - thanks for the link, but thats an Olympic uniform, so completely different to what the Boomers wear during non-Olympic games. I'd be careful using the terms 'always' too. Always is a very, very long time!

Reply #369200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that it has been there for a fair while, is that better? And i'd be more than happy to say ever since at least 2000 on every uniform

Reply #369206 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Ha ha, a fair while is better! But I still say you're wrong. It definitely wasn't on the uniforms when we lost to the Kiwi's in qualification for the 2002 World Championships. The earliest photo I can find is the 2005 FIBA Oceania championships, so I guess seven years is a 'fair while'.

Reply #369207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the point is it's on everything now so your comment isnt relevant anymore. If we were pre-2002 you would have a complaint but it's on everything now, including all T-shirts, polo's etc they wear.

Reply #369212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754