Isaac
Years ago

Wortho looking to switch to AFL

Heading to West Coast for a physical and skills test. Played footy growing up and is keen to try it again after some success and experience in basketball.

Article on Adelaide Now.

Topic #29082 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144971/default.aspx

Theres the report on the AFl website..I think he would have the toughness and if he can pull in bigger $$ than in the NBL I would understand him switching.
Not the best thing for the NBL if top level players start leaving for other codes though.

Haha Im near hackam working and got a "location not permitted to post from you must sign in"...LOL

Reply #376155 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

cant see it. he is what 30??

look how long it took hunt to adapt, he too had been playing a bit as a junior and was training and playing for over a year before he entered the afl. he is only just now starting to look like he belongs in his 3rd year of footy ( 2 in afl 1 in neafl).

physically he could fit right in, but in terms of adjusting to the game, not likely he will transition in time to make the most of it. 200+ cm players have a very very short life span in afl.

Reply #376161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #376163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silly idea. Go to Serbia

Reply #376168 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

This has been getting a lot of interest, even if it's a long shot to being a reality. Big back page feature story in The West about it. Bring a high profile basketballer (who the mainstream media have probably never heard of or cared much about until now) and link him to an AFL club and all of a sudden the whole country knows who he is! That's the power of the AFL.

I don't think this is a negative for the NBL either - the AFL have always tried to poach athletes from other sports, and so do other codes around the world. If nothing else, it's put the NBL and one of it's biggest (former) stars in the national spotlight for a day.

Reply #376171 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bizarre. Would be an epic fail on Wortho's part. Far too late to make the switch IMO.

Reply #376172 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Look for an announcement in the next few days.

Reply #376174 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would laugh if he lets it all build up, gets the offer, then says in a big media reveal: "Actually, I earn more playing basketball, it's a more challenging sport and I enjoy representing my country."

But, Wortho has been a bit miffed at the failings of the Dragons, Kings and then Blaze. Wouldn't surprise me if he wants a new challenge and the stability of a more powerful league.

Reply #376175 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A lotta Basketballers world wide will be watching to see how it goes - West Coast Eagles mentioned.

'Basketballers play 360degrees and more suited than rugby players that go straight up and down
and we'll be looking more at Basketballers'
Also mentioned in a speach about the future by an AFL 'recruiter'

Reply #376186 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Strange move. Can't understand it.

Reply #376188 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Worthington is too lazy too make it in AFL. He would at best be rookie listed by an AFL where he would be on about $50k a year. It is not going to happen.

Reply #376191 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think his Serbian deal would be all that lucrative, so I guess its not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd walk away from it.

Reply #376192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much (obviously guesstimate) would you say his serbian deal is worth ?

Reply #376193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can be paid outside of the salary cap. The AFL has exceptions for pro athletes that switch to AFL (look it up) so his salary would be pretty decent. Its great publicity for the AFL. Lets not forget WCE are one of the richest AFL clubs.
HIs Serbian deal is rumoured to be around 150k E.

I am hearing 200k a year or thereabouts is what he is asking. (2 year deal)

Reply #376195 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Serbian salaries arent huge by European standards. I wouldnt know about what Wortho signed for but from what I have read and heard EURO 100K-150K is pretty standard for imports in the Adriatic League and some other similar leagues (France, Germany), and some imports are on even less.

Reply #376196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL is destroying our game and we need them to bugger off. we should be doing the same thing back to there junior players.. see someone with the athleticism who may never play pro football... get them on the development squad of an NBL roster. NBL should make special alowances for thoes situations as we the AFL do. find them at 16-22 and try to mould a baller pout of them. whats good for afl CAN WORK FOR US TOO

Reply #376197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt the Eagles need to pay him atleast say 150k to make it worth while for wortho?

Dont know why they would as he is hardly proven, it took Brogan around 2 years to get any decent run with the Power, by then Wortho would be close to 32.

Surely Wortho could get a NBL contract for 150k even now, though there are not many spots left, he could just wait breifly for an import or 2 not to work out and a NBL club would surely pick him up,

for me either go to Europe or get a NBL spot maybe the crocs would get him instead of an import? or wait for a major injury or import to fail and then pick up a NBL contract.

I guess it would be a new challenge for wortho, just cant see it working, if he was under 25 then it would be a bit more realistic to work, and cant see why the Eagles would bother spending 150k on him or why Wortho would give up too much $$ to try out for the Eagles.

Reply #376199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Australia doesnt even have 80 professional male basketballers worldwide, it isnt really in a position to be taking speculators when many talented and committed basketball players cant get a gig.

Reply #376200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. When there are about 650 AFL roster spots available compared to about 80 NBL spots (about 20 taken by imports), it is much more easier to make it in AFL. Also when about 20 of those 80 NBL spots pay you less than the average wage it is not a risk I would be taking.

Even some country/semi pro football teams pay some of their players quite well.

Reply #376203 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I thought he was already going to Serbia?

Reply #376204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only thing I can see being an upside is his best basketball years are probably behind him and he is probably phasing out of a boomer spot before next olympics guess it is what it is.

Reply #376211 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

From Wortho's point of view I can certainly understand the move. From West Coasts point of view, I can't. With a list that includes Cox, NicNat, Lycett, Kennedy and Darling, that age is a deal-breaker.

Reply #376220 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

anon minimum wage is $32,000. They work for less than 6 months give an annualised income of over $64,000 per annum. That is well above minimum wage.

Reply #376222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL is 6 months a year? Are you kidding yourself?
They get about 6 weeks off a year. (good teams, cats, pies let their players stay off a little longer)
Pre season generally starts late Oct/Nov for non finals teams.
6 months, not even close.

Note: Preseason is tougher than the season.

Reply #376224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Average wage is different to minimum wage ---by a long long way.

A player might get $32,000 a season on an NBL roster over 6 months, but I doubt they would get close to that for the other 6 months.

Reply #376228 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

He was actually a very good junior footballer and as he hasn't been battered like other 29 year old ruckmen . He realistically could have 3-4 years in the AFL system . He would be quite athletic and is very competitive . The main concern would be probably be soft tissue injury and seeing out a season after gruelling training loads . A long shot but not complete lunacy .

Reply #376238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An NBL player could get 20K playing SEABL or state league.

Reply #376242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell me what NBL player is getting 20k playing SEABL (excluding imports)? Im involved with SEABL and can tell you that no Australian player is even close to getting that much directly from the club.

Reply #376259 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I have heard of some getting import money in Big V.

Reply #376263 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

When I first read the title I laughed, than soon realised this may be somewhat serious.

Surely he is to slow for the pace of AFL these days?

He is getting on the slower side for basketball but dare I say it has some brains and plays smart.

Reply #376268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be good to see him start crying to the umpire! Or see him get cleaned up by chappy! He will be seeing stars for a yr! His a pussy!! Haha wortho!

Reply #376272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some in the past have got $40k in the NZ NBL. NBL players could do NBL and NZ NBL in a year for a reasonable return. Most don't do that to rest their bodies, but it's possible. Someone like Tim Behrendorff has previously played in NZ in an import role.

Reply #376322 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

There is a good chance he never knew he was playing basketball all along.

Reply #376340 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The AFL is so strict on conditioning, how will Wortho's fat ass even pass their preliminary physical?

Reply #376474 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

We'll find out soon enough. Wortho rocked up to Patersons Stadium for his physical this morning.

Be interesting to see him and Nic Nat go one on one in hoops.

Reply #376487 | Report this post

Ceres 41  
Years ago

He was considerably miffed at the lack of court time in London. As said before, no more self marketing guy in Australian sport and he does it 24/7.
Hasn't played footy since he was 14 so can't see how he was classed as a star junior back then in country Bunbury. Had his Blaze contract paid out each of 2 years in 7, not 12, months so was never a creditor.
The AFL will be a huge system shock, on and off the field.

Reply #376521 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With experience under Goorjian, at a good club in Germany and in the national team for 7-8 years at a much higher level of competition than the AFL, I dont think Worthington is quite as much a stranger to professionalism as folklore would have us believe.

Reply #376526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just fitness?

Reply #376528 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Olympic athletes are pretty fit .

Reply #376547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't got the body to play AFL, needs to build some muscle.

Reply #376560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS Mick - do you have a good word to say about anyone these days???

Reply #376566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel, Wortho is not known for arriving at camps in as good shape as the rest. I think this time around someone said he was looking pretty decent compared to past years?

Reply #376572 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's a page or so on how he went at west coast eagles training and etc. on google ,news for mark worthington.

Reply #376597 | Report this post

Brains  
Years ago

late comment but when an absolute joke.

To have an Olympian represent his country at basketball and in the same year switch codes.

It's an embarrassment to the sport and I can't believe the idiots at the NBL even publiscised it on their website.

They talk about having enough trouble now getting juniors through and staying in Australia for the sport but they still put not one, but TWO articles regarding it

Not to mention how selfish I believe it is of Wortho himself, to take the opportunity away from someone else to represent Australia at the Olympics, when if chosen (yes I'm aware he didn't get picked up), he would just switch sports to afl.

Reply #376930 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brains, I do appreciate the comment about Wortho taking the Olympic opportunity of someone more interested, but previously when the NBL stayed quiet on the Blaze and Tigers (until there was more to say) fans were critical. Where do you draw the line?

Reply #376938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754