Isaac
Years ago

Wanna buy a stadium? Arena sale page is up

Not particularly exciting, but this page was passed on to me. Send the link on to anyone you know who's won the lottery recently...

Lot 36 William Street, Beverley, SA 5009

Topic #29178 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Got in contact with the real estate agent. Making an offer tomorrow. Will keep you guys updated

Reply #377430 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Maybe we could all chip in a few dollars and buy it???

Reply #377432 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

What's the estimated price?

Reply #377434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is expressions of interest so no harm throwing in a cheeky bid for a few dollars!

Reply #377442 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

I believe that when Eddy wanted to sell he was asking about $8M, but I'm not sure what he owed the bank (there were suggestions around $5M). Not sure what the bank would want - there money back - or make a profit?

Reply #377445 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Everyone could chip in.

Reply #377446 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Once again contact the Minister to show that we want this stadium to be here for basketball now and in the future

[email protected]

Reply #377447 | Report this post

Live-to-ball  
Years ago

If I lived in Adelaide I would love to buy the stadium, but unfortunately I am stuck in little Tassie where all our courts are run down and broken :(

Reply #377452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is the stadium?get members to pay $20 each tax deductible,government to match it dollar for dollar,and the SOS group and possibly Vince can chip in too ,let's everyone get behind the Sixers to keep them going for many years to come etc,if we don't sell we may lose Sixers for good.That's my idea!

Reply #377464 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I actually received a letter back from Minister Kenyon today, thanking me for mine. He told me that he had written to Commonwealth Bank and was pleased to tell me that they had agreed to allow the 36ers and the Lightning to play out this season at the Arena.

Reply #377469 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

• Designed to suit other high capacity uses

I thought the government had put restrictions on its use. If this statement is correct, then it should add a lot of value to the property and make it much more attractive as an investment.

Reply #377473 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wonder if its a mortgagee sale?

If so, will sell at a much lower price.

Reply #377474 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

If you write a letter you should also include the opposition minister for sport Dan van Holst Pellekaan MP
, and Boti at the advertiser.

Reply #377476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip I received that as well..what it told me was that they are not going to do anything else about it since this year is fixed...thats crap they need to step up and actually do something right for once

Reply #377477 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Excellent suggestion putting Dan van Holst Pellekaan on the letter list. Although in Opposition, Dan's a good bloke and has NBL basketball history (four years with the Tassie Devils).

Reply #377485 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

I believe in the advertisement is says conditions are STCC. If the government are no longer subsidising BSA (as they no longer own the facility) then possibly the original conditions no longer apply and any new owner could apply to the local council for approval to utilise the facility for other purposes. If the local council are receiving payment for the use of some of the land (the oval/car park area) then surely they would be happy to receive more revenue if the facility is used more often?

Reply #377497 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

To me it's rather simple....

Surely we have 10,000 basketball fans of WNBL, NBL and ABA/district??

All they need to do is put aside $10 a week (cost of a playing a game), and in 1 year they have $520.

Times that by 10 and we have $5.2mil to throw at the CBA to buy the stadium. Many people wouldn't even need to save that up, chuck it on the 'ole credit card even! ;P

Simple maths yes, but with clever and passionate marketing, unifying of the basketball community and community in general, something like this is not insurmountable. Love what Wollongong and Carins have done when they've been up against it.

Naturally the issues arises of who actually owns it, upkeep etc but just thought I'd throw out some simple maths to not such a simple problem. Now imagine if there are people with money who can contribute far more than $500 and actually want to invest from a business perspective...

Will be interesting to see what unfolds over the coming months...

Reply #377504 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Cavalo, I like the idea but of those 10,000 fans you've probably got 9,000 husbands who need to convince 9,000 wives that it's a good idea to spend $500 on a sporting team which is where it would likely come unstuck!!

Reply #377511 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Variation on the general community rising to buy the stadium theme. Could we learn from what steps the Illawarra community took to save the Hawks? What sort of consortium or business model did they use to raise money from the community and set the Hawks up as a sustainable business? Anyone know how that worked?

Reply #377523 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Very astute billo!! Being a married man as soon as I read your comment the reality of such a siutation quickly dawned on me...! ;P

Reply #377544 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im a big fan of separate finances.

Reply #377546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheres the guy/girl who won 50 mill from the western burbs the other week?, Hope they are basketball fans

Reply #377587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind a move to the more professional Entertainment Centre. The Arena already has that cheap and outdated feel to it plus extremely poor lighting that makes it bad for TV games.

Reply #378954 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Seems the council own the carpark and there are restictions. We don't think we can use it.'
I heard somebody from paradise say.

Reply #378962 | Report this post

Prophet  
Years ago

Just to inform my sources are saying that the Government is seriously looking at purchasing the stadium soon and will re-open the doors to hosting other events. Great news!

Reply #379329 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti has said that the government is at least coming to the table. Plan would be to secure the stadium for basketball, larger netball events, other court sports as well as potentially Entertainment Centre overflow. Makes sense to me.

Reply #379345 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems like we have come full circle. BSA was to be a joint partner in the Adelaide Entertainment Centre development in 1991 until talks broke down and BSA decided to go alone and build their own stadium at Beverley in 1992.

Blind Freddy could see that stories of the government buying the Adelaide Arena are over-cooking things, particularly since the Olympic Dam announcement and yesterday's announcement of another write down of the SA Government credit rating.

I expect the SA government will be a partner in securing the future of the stadium - nothing more.

Reply #379355 | Report this post

Prophet  
Years ago

They first have to negotiate a price that will allow them to both, purchase the stadium and then perform the necessary upgrades that will allow them to eventually hand the operating over to the entertainment centre. The stadium can then be used for other sporting attractions (headline boxing events etc) This way the EC will have access to a 2000+ seat, 5000+ seat and 10,000+ seat venues. The Government seem very keen on securing the "home of South Australian Basketball" but yes the timing is terrible due to the current budget handling. I am also hearing rumblings of a SASI redevelopment... That news I can't confirm as of yet however.

Reply #379362 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754