Cell
Years ago

Breakers sign Corey Webster, name development players

"Corey Webster's road to redemption is complete.

A year after being dumped by the Sky City Breakers following a doping violation the club has re-signed him for the upcoming season.

Webster spent time with a Chinese club in his year away and Breakers general manager Richard Clarke says he's worked hard to change his life in the last year.

They've also named their development players with Josh Bloxham returning and joined by former academy players Reuben Te Rangi and swingman Morgan Natanahira.

Tall Black Tai Webster has been handed an un-contracted role given he's soon to depart for America's collegiate system.

The club officially begin their pre-season today on Auckland's North Shore."

Topic #29198 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Good balanced squad with plenty of threats inside and out. Fingers crossed for a 3peat.

Reply #377794 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

If Webster has turned himself around then credit to him. Too much talent to be wasted. I agree Mystro, a very well balanced team, and a very well run organisation.

Reply #377797 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

LOL wasted.

Reply #377800 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is signing Corey possibly a suck-up to keep Tai keen? You'd be frustrated if you were another guy in the program doing the right thing by the club at all times and getting overlooked for a "repeat offender."

Then again, if we had a three strikes policy, he'd be fine.

More on Webster:

He has spent the last two months in China working out with the team of former Australian national coach Brian Goorjian - an unpaid assignment that came with no guarantees, but which Webster snapped up as a chance to prove he was committed to this comeback.
"He's been chased by a few other ANBL teams, but he wanted to be a Breaker, he was desperate to be a Breaker again. I think he wants to come here and put some things right."

Reply #377802 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

NZ definitely looking like the team to beat again.

Does this make Adelaide the only team to not have a full squad names now?

Reply #377804 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, Webster's positive tests were in-competition werent they? WADA doesnt test for recreational drugs out of comp so I assume they must have been. That means the AFL-style three strikes wouldnt apply to his case.

I dont think the Breakers will see Tai for a long time now they missed out on him. He has the potential to be playing at a very high level for many a year.

With Corey, at the end of the day he has done his punishment and he is the best player available. I dont think there is anyone else in the program with a serious claim to that spot.

Reply #377810 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Paul on Corey being the best available player for the spot. There is no one else local who can tick the boxes Corey does with the same points rating.
I also don't think the Breakers have really "missed out on Tai", they have developed him and will have known for a while how much potential he has. They will be happy for him to succeed overseas as they have been with the likes of Fotu and Rob Loe who were also academy players before heading over to play NCAA.
Tai just happens to have a heap more potential. Rueben Terangi who has just been named as a development player will be one to watch out for, he was ROTY in the NZBL last season.

Reply #377812 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair point. But what I mean is he wont be developing to his potential as a Breakers player before moving on to higher levels, instead he will be playing college basketball. That is definitely a loss and a missed opportunity.

Reply #377816 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

still cant beleive no one wanted bj anthony

Reply #377824 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think if he never plays for them it will be a lost opportunity but in the scheme of things it is of far more benefit for NZ Basketball (and the Breakers by default) to get a kid in the NBA starting. Even better if he is a former Breaker Academy Player who plans on repaying the favor down the road in his Career. I would def love to see him play for the Breakers but I know that they have other talent coming through the ranks that won't get Tai's opportunities and will forge out a career in the NBL.

Reply #377839 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tai's dad played College ball and prob felt he will have more chance of getting to the NBA going the NCAA route and the added bonus of education Vs going his brothers route

Reply #377840 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Not a massive Webster fan but he fits the cap and all so good luck to him and hopefully he will be great!

Reply #377874 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true Mystro, but he could have achieved all the same things via the Breakers. He had to make his choice obviously, but the Breakers miss out on this opportunity.

Reply #377881 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Webster looks like he is in very good shape courtesy of Gorj in China

Reply #377901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754