Mick
Years ago

NBL Payroll / Salary Cap Thread

Further to the ludicrous "semi-pro" thread, what does each team's payroll look like, exactly, in this league that finds media coverage (and therefore analysis and scrutiny) hard to come by?

It's something that NBA journos come to a consensus on without all the official figures being public knowledge, so I think we can do the same for a bit of a lark.

I think there is enough basketball knowledge on here to get close to a consensus figure for each team.

User "Nblboi" posted in the other thread Wollongong's payroll, as follows:

Davidson 100k
Forman 100k
Saville 100k
Hurdle 70k
Deleon 130k

Mcmillan 40k
Jackson 40k
Coenraad 60k
Demos 50k
Martin 60k

Total: 750k

Topic #29281 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Gruber, Delaney?

Reply #378828 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Which teams spend all of the cap and which teams spend the least?

Reply #378829 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't know all of Townsville's figures, so need help with the ones with question marks:

Withers - ?
Holmes - ? I'd guess around 100k?
Blanchfield - ? I'd guess around 70k?
Crawford - 130k
Forte - ?

Hinder - 40k
Allen - 50k
M. Cedar - 40k
C. Cedar - 30k
M. Norton - 40k

Reply #378830 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers spend the cap. No idea on breakdown

Reply #378831 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

for the Crocs, I think Holmes would be a fair bit cheaper as he was signed to a two year deal when it looked like he wouldn't get a gig.

Also Blanchfield might be on a touch more with his new deal, maybe.

With the imports, i think between $200-$220k would get you those guys.

I would think all up you would be looking at around $700k +- $20k.

Reply #378833 | Report this post

Nblboi  
Years ago

Gruber would be on 60k and delaney nothinf hes a joke

Reply #378836 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Dry Back - he signed that deal halfway through the season though, when he was already leading the league in rebounds. The two year deal starts this season, it wasn't the deal he was on last season. He would have been worth a bit on the open market given the phenomenal season he was having at the time. That said, I have no idea how much he signed for so your guess is as good as mine...

What about this:

Withers - 120k?
Holmes - 90k ?
Blanchfield - 80k ?
Crawford - 130k
Forte - 100k ?

Hinder - 40k
Allen - 50k
M. Cedar - 40k
C. Cedar - 30k
M. Norton - 40k

Puts total payroll at 720k, if those unknown figures are close to correct, it's a helluva cheap roster.

Reply #378837 | Report this post

Nblboi  
Years ago

Breakers:

Pledger 120
Vukona 120
Abercrombie 150
Corletto 70
Jackson 180

Hudson 100
Boucher 70
Henry 40
Webster 50
Bruton 100

Reply #378839 | Report this post

Nblboi  
Years ago

I heard jackson is the highest paid in league.

Reply #378841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Withers - 120k
Holmes - 90k ?
Blanchfield - 80k ?
Crawford - 150k
Forte - 120k ?

Hinder - 60k
Allen - 50k
M. Cedar - 50k
C. Cedar - 30k
M. Norton - 40k

that is 770

Reply #378842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one believes you thomas/nblboi. except the nurses at the special school.

Reply #378843 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

How much do the Taipans and Kings spend?

Reply #378844 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nblboi, you forgot Bloxham. AFAIK He has been upgraded from a DP to a contracted player.

Reply #378845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THIS...

Hinder - 60k
Allen - 50k
M. Cedar - 50k
C. Cedar - 30k
M. Norton - 40k

How can you be a professional on these types of figures? These figures are below the average Australian wage. First year state school teachers are paid better and teachers are paid rubbish for the work they do.

This is half a roster. If that's every team, it's half the league. That's one in two players paid peanuts.

Reply #378846 | Report this post

Anonlicious  
Years ago

"no one believes you thomas/nblboi. except the nurses at the special school."

A lot do, these Hoops posters are so gullible.

Terrible guesses.

Reply #378849 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ anon above. Not every team's bench salaries look like this. There are reasons for the meagre Crocs salaries above, as follows:

Hinder - 60k - I know for a fact he is on less than this. Closer to the league minimum. Is on around 40k from what I have heard. Is an enormous liability due to his recent injury, and was effectively re-signed while injured, taking that into account. Hinder has publically stated that he has had to move into a smaller house with his family due to the paycut. Would not have received an offer from any other team (so market set his value at 0k), and would have retired if not for the Crocs' offer.

Allen - 50k - took a huge paycut to re-sign after two horrible seasons (his original deal was for two years out of college and it finished at the end of the season). Crocs were going to let him go and had a late change of heart. Nearly 7 feet tall, with averages of 3 ppg and 1 rpb. You could argue he is being overpaid.

M. Cedar - 50k - took a paycut to re-sign. Has not played with intensity or effort to demand a higher price, and brings nothing to the table except for outside shooting, despite shooting the ball terribly last season (on the positive side he had a great QBL season, so i hope he finds his form again with the Crocs). One of the slowest players in the league at any position. Baulked at the Crocs offer and said he was leaving the club before re-signing later in free agency.

C. Cedar - 30k. On the league minimum. The one guy on the bench that I would say deserves to earn more. Great passer and defender who can run an offense and plays hard every chance he gets, even if his shot is atrocious. Still, a relative unknown outside of North Queensland, so, again, the market has set his value.

M. Norton - 40k - rookie contract (2yr deal). Has played only a handful of NBL minutes.

Worth noting: all of these guys, except Hinder, played QBL in the offseason. It doesn't pay well but it's a little something extra.

Also worth noting: the two Cedars and Mitch Norton are locals who have been part of the Crocodiles development program since their early teens. Local guys will always sign for their home club for less.

Reply #378850 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anonlicious - if his guesses are terrible, make a counter-estimate.

That's how consensuses work.

Reply #378852 | Report this post

Anonlicious  
Years ago

I'm not interested in adding to the ridiculousness. You're privy to some facts about your local team so I appreciate your posts but the rest from nblboi (j0ycefan) is utter rubbish. He's trolling.

Reply #378853 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I honestly don't think Sav would be on 100k at the Hawks.

Reply #378854 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anonlicious, you cant just call someone out without making a counter argument. What is so wrong about the figures? *Gets popcorn and eagerly waits in anticipation staring at the computer screen*

Reply #378856 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Would rather the ensuing argument be productive rather than dismissive haha.

I'm genuinely interested as an NBL fan to get at least a rough idea of these figures for each club. Helps to get a better understanding of the machinations of each club and how they do business, as well as how cash relates to wins.

As I mentioned, our sport gets hardly any media coverage, so in some ways its a fan's job to do the work the journos in this country don't give a toss about.

Reply #378857 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think the Breakers players have it pretty good. You have to remember the exchange rate and at the mo a $1m AUD gets you a considerably more amount of NZD.
Standard of living pretty good for Breakers players. The average annual income in NZ is just 24k. So considering the bench players are on 60k NZD its not bad and then most would get another 30-40k playing NZNBL. The likes of Leon Henry, Webster and previously Bj would earn 100k over the year. Plenty of money in NZ imho

Reply #378858 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You also have to remember that even if a player gets the bare minimum it is only for just over 6 months of the year. They would also get paid playing for their local team and have time in the off season to work a normal job If they want to.

Reply #378860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nblboi, you forgot Bloxham. AFAIK He has been upgraded from a DP to a contracted player.

Corey Webster completed the Breakers roster for this season. Bloxham is a development player again this season.

Reply #378861 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No Dion Prewster in the Breakers development players this season

Reply #378863 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dont think Dion has shown enough skill-wise both for Southland and in Breakers Trainings. Dare i say it a big reason as to why they looked at him was because he had great size and crazy athleticism for the 2 spot.

Reply #378864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Dion Prewster in the Breakers development players this season

Wrong.

SKYCITY Breakers 2012/13 Roster

Cedric Jackson Point Guard

Corey Webster Guard

Daryl Corletto Guard

CJ Bruton Guard

Tom Abercrombie Swingman

Leon Henry Forward

Mika Vukona Forward

Dillon Boucher Forward

Will Hudson Forward/Centre

Alex Pledger Centre

Development Players

Josh Bloxham Point Guard

Reuben Te Rangi Shooting guard/Small forward

Morgan Natanahira Power forward

Non Contracted Development Player

Tai Webster Point Guard

http://www.nbl.com.au/breakers-home/news/article/2012/august/breakers-welcome-back-webster-as-roster-is-finalised/

Reply #378874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops misread Mystro's post and got him mixed up with Macdub too.

Reply #378875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Deba George on before he got let go (any why)?

Reply #378887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Deba George on before he got let go (and why)?

Reply #378888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the way I counter estimate you to $200k.

Reply #378891 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

My guess for Deba George would be 45-50k.

Reply #378899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deba is on $0 this season hehe. I'm sure no one will counter that figure.

Wow this is fun.

Reply #378903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deba George on $150,000?? Please go away.
A thread devoted to players salaries that in reality very few posters here would even have a clue about.
Specualte by all means but thats all it is specualation.

Reply #378905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread doesn't make sense now? Too many deleted posts, the moderating on this board is crazy.

Reply #378916 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"A thread devoted to players salaries that in reality very few posters here would even have a clue about"

It's not as much of a stab in the dark as you would think.

You can work out a lot of it algebraically. During contract negotiations, there is normally one or two guys whose salaries are made public. You also usually know the guys who are on NBL minimum. You get tidbits of information like "he took a paycut to re-sign" or "he re-signed for more than his previous contract", and rationally weigh that against what the guy was on with his previously (if it was public info). Then you also sometimes know the total payroll without knowing the breakdown. Then you also hear "rumours" of guys' salaries and have to weigh them up rationally. A journo will sometimes leak a salary figure or two as well. So it's about weighing all of those small chunks of known facts and estimates against the bigger picture.

Of course it's not an exact science, but there's no reason why, if the trolls and troglodytes stay out of it, the collective knowledge of the altruistic posters on hoops.com.au couldn't come up with a fairly accurate rendering of league-wide payroll.

Reply #378933 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'm guessing those figures are rounded up/down? League min is $36k

Reply #378937 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Nat: any assumptions I have made are based on minimum being 30k (my knowledge is clearly outdated - think that's where it was in 2008 after a quick search). Chris Cedar, for example, was said to be on league minimum so I pegged him as 30k. Should be 36k, if that's the actual minimum.

And faux-Mick, dude, choose a new handle, Mick is taken.

Reply #378943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright guys I'm confident we can deduce NBL players salaries, algebraically and by not being dismissive and counter offering, to form a consensus. Even though the poster spearheading this doesn't know basic facts like the league minimum.

Reply #378949 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Basic facts that aren't made public by the league, douchebag.

If you want to sling shit at least do it without posting as anonymous.

Reply #378972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMFAO at the people saying NBL teams pay the same as teams in Greece............

Reply #379009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754