Tiger Watcher
Years ago

Can Anstey Coach???

We all know his Anstey had a great playing resume and his general knowledge is fantastic but as we have seen in the past a great playing resume means little when it comes to coaching!

Has anyone else noticed that once the pressure gets cranked up on the Tigers they have no plan B and the system is very poor....i.e if the ball doesn't get to a certain spot or 1 pass is denied it breaks down!

It really appears that Braswell is the only one who can create off the dribble and it is an offensive system which requires dribble penetration to be effective….surely Anstey would have recognised this and altered his system!

After the start the Tigers are having the next couple of home games are key or Anstey might be looking for a job

Topic #29587 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he can coach, he played in the NBA!

Reply #383130 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, I think it's clear Anstey is preparing his team well pre-game, but doesnt yet have his head around the adjustments needed mid-game.

Reply #383132 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Nor does he have the cattle to succeed
This was a very bizzare team they have put together, no real stud in any position although Seth Scott is proving to be decent.
Still favourite for the spoon IMO

Reply #383133 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

cant coach and cant recruit

Reply #383134 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

He looked very out of his depth in the game against Adelaide Sunday week ago.

Reply #383136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you guys listened to his time outs? His instuctions are clear and correct. The problem is the players then don't follow through, they each try to take over and play the hero resulting in 1 pass offense.
IMO Scott is not the right fit for the group. If the tigers are going to win games they need to play as a team as they don't have the cattle to get wins through individual talent.

If Ansty can be accused of anything it's poor recruiting. But then again, with all the issues at the tigers over recent years, who would want to play for them?

Reply #383137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no he cant - i think he lost them the game the other night against Sydney

have a look at the plays he has drawn up in timeouts over the past 2 games... 1 against Adelaide I remember they couldnt even get the ball in from the sideline!

The last play against Sydney wasn't a good look for Goulding either

Reply #383139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got a lot to learn, listening to the timeouts he's done all the scouting and pre-game stuff but once something starts going against them, they fold.

Reply #383142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't help that he has the worst roster in the league!

Reply #383144 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I've been impressed by Anstey in time outs and the way he gets his message across.

Watch the Tigers after a timeout and they seem like a unit, within a few minutes they have lost their way again - coach or lack of oncourt leader / pg issues? Coach to leader communication problems?

Reply #383145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be harsh to say he can/can't coach on 2 games. Biggest blunder is making captains out of two players who aren't leaders in games. You can have the best characteristics, but Burston and Greer aren't good enough to be captain.

That leadership hurts you on the floor and coaches can't help that.

Reply #383147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because you can play in the NBA doesn't mean you can coach anywhere! Anstey=spud.

Reply #383148 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Khazzouh released is it worth making a play at him to replace Scott?

I agree Anstey should be given time, the Tigers have looked good for big stretches and then fallen apart. Let's see if he can fix those areas. A big failure in the first two games has been not playing Braswell and Tomlinson together when the team is struggling against pressure.

Reply #383150 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Has the DUMBEST team in the league!
Has no one else to lead the team besides Braswell and even then I don't think he's a legitimate PG.
Goulding is erratic and will chuck up stupid shots, Walker would be in my top 3 dumbest basketballers, Liam Rush again is athletic as Walker but dumb, Tomlinson is pathetic and thinks he is God's gift to basketball and Matt Burston and Tom Greer are probably your smartest basketballers but cannot influence the team enough.
I don't mind Seth Scott, but he will get frustrated with this group as will Braswell. I just feel sorry for these guys because when they are 0-6 one of them will be made a scapegoat!

Reply #383151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hard to judge him when he has a fairly weak team and is missing a starting player on top of that.

I don't think Braswell/Tomlinson is a strong backcourt - in fact, probably one of the weakest. Goulding is not a player to anchor a team around either. Then the rest are a supporting cast, more or less.

I know Sydney aren't brilliant either, but to get within a shot on the road is about as much as you'd expect from them considering the player outs.

Reply #383158 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Why are people saying to replace Scott, I havent paid heaps of attention watching their games but he appears to be about their best player

Reply #383160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Paul. Why should the Tigers give Anstey time? They haven't given any other players or coaches "time" in the past few seasons..should he be given "time" simply because he was a good player? I could go on and on...at this level, you should've been given "time" in lower league coaching and know what you're doing by the time you get to this level. I think it's hilarious how everyone is "coddling" Anstey simply because he could play.

Reply #383164 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Id give every new coach time. Why wouldnt you? No team is put together instantly.

Reply #383173 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Anstey isn't being given time because he played NBA - it's because he came up through the Tigers system and he's one of their golden boys.

AFL clubs have done a lot of that, so it's not suprising that the Tigers have too.

Reply #383175 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

Anstey has gotta stop sooking on twitter about the music during game play (i agree with him) and concentrate on coaching.

Reply #383177 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers should replace Schenscher with Kazzouh lol /moneygrowsontrees

I remember they couldnt even get the ball in from the sideline!

Sounds like Adelaide against teams in the last two years

Reply #383182 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Guards are the issue, Braswell and Goulding are arguably two of the best 6th men in the league but they are starters on this roster.

Reply #383191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey struggled as coach in Big V Division 1, lacked the coaching experience to make the right calls in the crunch.

I just don't think he should be coaching NBL, he needs to get more runs on the board coaching wise.

Reply #383194 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

he's actually been better than I thought, big man rarely becomes any decent coach. I can't really even think of a big man who became successful coach. however, long term? I don't think he will succeed and DMAC should be given an opportunity. his 10 games as a coach seemed pretty good; remember he also won the first game he took over.

Reply #383195 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anstey isn't being given time because of Tigers history or his ability as a player but because you don't make snap judgements like that and especially not when he's coaching a weak and slightly depleted team.

If fans made these decisions they'd be sacking coaches every two-loss stretch and permanently bankrupt from paying out coaches and players.

Reply #383197 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

It's been 2 games. 2 AWAY games. 1 against a much improved Adelaide team, and the other against a streaky Sydney side which got going in the 3rd and 4th thanks to Corin Henry's play. This is also without a big recruit in Ballinger and a generally poor roster. If he starts 0-5 then yes, you can start complaining.

Reply #383200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even then you probably wouldn't sack him, unless they were losing in an especially dismal way. Is anyone expecting them to win away games? Many home games?

Reply #383213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had Tigers finishing 2nd to bottom if they finish last and only win say 2-3 games all season only then would they maybe consider it and given the coaching carousel the Tigers have had of late and Anstey being a favourite son of the club I still think they wouldn't even really consider pulling the trigger unitl mid-late next season regardless.

Reply #383219 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

How can anyone say if he can or can't coach, he really hasn't coached. 1 season in Big V Div 1, amazing resume!...

With this in mind, you can only imagine that the Tigers are prepared to give him time to learn on the job. Tough to swallow if your a fan.

Interesting that both Tigers and Kings feel that the coaching talent is so poor in Australia that they chose to go with great players who are yet to prove they can coach at all...

I'm not saying Anstey will not be a great coach, he may end up being the greatest coach ever to coach in our league. We will know in 10 years time...

Reply #383224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal had already taken a team to the NBL playoffs.

Reply #383231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal also finished his playing career with back-to-back wooden spoons at 2 different clubs (one as player/coach).

Reply #383236 | Report this post

HaHa  
Years ago

MW,

Some guy named Phil Jackson was OK.

Reply #383238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne are indeed favourites with Centrebet to record the most losses this season.

Reply #383246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Paul...agree completely that every coach SHOULD be given time...just wondered why the Tigers would be happy to give Anstey time when they didn't offer any to Gleeson...or Ubaka...or, I could go on and on....

Reply #383247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make no mistake Anstey stabbed Gleeson in the back.
As a Head Coach anywhere NBL level he has no experience. However Short is an extremely knowlegable NBL Astt coach and D Mac is an extremely savvy basketball player with limited coaching expereince at the elite level. Can Anstey coach, of course he can at the junior level that's all.
Ultimealty he is totally accountable. As soon as the new owners wake up to this fact the better. Conners conning conners.

Reply #383253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so glad I don't support Melbourne...

Reply #383289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Tommy Greer still gets an NBL game is beyond me.

Reply #383381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last place odds are getting shorter.

Reply #383383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Anonymous, Gleeson got a season. I wouldnt give Anstey anymore than that if things arent showing improvement.

Reply #383387 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, that was me above.

Reply #383389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call Paul. However the dodos will have mud on their face since they drug Gleeson thru the dirt to get Anstey. They won't get rid of Anstey for that reason.

Reply #383566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that the players essentially got rid of Gleeson beacuse they didnt want to play for him, because Gleeson called them out for their tardy training attitudes, work ethics and over all accountability.
Replaced with a lazy trainer from the Gaze Senior era who arguably can't coach and more than likely can't select a team as well. Dmac train hard also. No.
Karma?

Reply #383576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey is a joke and so is the tigers, can't wait for new Melbourne team hope Gleeson the new coach.

Reply #383598 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754