Hurls
Years ago

nbl tv... just not good enough

Everyone knows its been a shoddy product so far.. what can be done? they dont even bother to reply when you raise an issue...

Topic #29690 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

It has worked fine for me, I mainly watch it through my Ipad, the only negative I find is the app drops out every 30 mins. I am very happy with the product and the cost, I have watched every game so far this season and will continue to.

Reply #384357 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

No, maybe it is just you
I was streaming the game over 3g Saturday night at the venue as a test and had NO issues at all.
Have watched every game on the ipad or iphone and linked the TV via Apple TV and have had zero issues

Reply #384358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurls, I agree with you, I've had the same problems. It needs to be streamed in 1080.

You should contact Marc Howard and tell him your thoughts. He is a very nice man and always replies.
Marc Howard
+61 3 9697 4305
[email protected]

Reply #384360 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Im also disappointed. The cost isn't an issue - $59 is dirt cheap for this type of product, but this has been terrible for me, and there doesn't seem to be any solution to the constant freezing, low quality etc... Others dont have a problem so it must be my internet (vivid wireless, which is pretty good), but still - you pay for something and it should deliver regardless of what the customer has, and if there's a problem with the type of internet, location (northern Perth suburb close to the city) etc... then it should be explained before signing up.

Reply #384361 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I love it, the quality I have had is great with no issues at all..

It sucks some people are struggling to recieve decent quality, but seriously the number of ppl who arent has to show you that maybe its not the product but your setup/connection

Reply #384362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mate is a bit of a computer nerd and set up his new Ipad to Apple tv and then streamed it through his tv (he has spent thousands on his set up and connection).

Even though there was no buffering, even he admitted that the quality should be alot better for a professional service. I agree

Reply #384363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No problems from me either. I watch on iPad via wireless and 3G.

I think many people need to change their ISPs. Sucks for them but I don' t think the problem lies with NBL tv.

Only problem I have is the above said app closing every 30 mins but thats no big deal.

Reply #384365 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have watched a fair few of the games in the following situations:

- iPad at home (most games)
- web at the office (36ers-Breakers)
- web at home, HDMI to 55" TV (Hawks-Crocs)
- direct to smart TV, too painful logging in with on screen keyboard, gave up (Samsung's fault)

My net at work is very shoddy at times (bad wiring in the building) and my net at home can be flakey (crap modem). Inclined to think most issues are the fault of my net accounts.

There've been a few hiccups but for the most part I think it's been great. 36ers-Breakers game streamed perfectly for me at work on a 24" screen and with sound through a stereo. Had to muck around a bit to get Hawks-Crocs working, but after the first few minutes, it worked well. Quality dropped a bit in patches, but it beats watching live stats only...

Yet to watch more than a few minutes of a replayed game.

The app needs work showing when there's an active stream and things like that, but app was free and the service is $59 for 4+ games a week live, so I haven't regretted buying it for a second.

If I had a dollar every time Hurls needed new players for his social team, my NBL.TV would be paid for!

Reply #384368 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Even though there was no buffering, even he admitted that the quality should be alot better for a professional service. I agree"

Seems ur mates not a very good computer nerd lol.

ISP's are not all equal. While the price might seem good the speed u get from them will not be near what they offer. Internode, Bigpond are clear winners when it comes to line speed and being able to deliver a constant service.
Others like Dodo, Adam, Primus, TPG often have small disconnections that during normal browsing wont even be noticed, when streaming large videos it becomes blatantly obvious.
If your using Wireless then your bandwidth is shared between anyone else in that area that has the same service you do so the more people in the area using it the worse your speed gets. Peak times will be worse, chances are if your having problems the Sunday midday games will be the ones you have had less issues with. Get a wired connection lol anyone who thinks Wireless will replace a wired connection is just kidding themselves

Reply #384376 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

works on Ipad, but it doesnt seem to be on computers!!!

Reply #384379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that Dodo, TPG etc are bad for streaming compared to the excellent Telstra, iiNet. When you compare the two groups together with the same line speeds there is a major difference for video on demand. What I don't understand is the technical aspect behind it, is it over saturation or routing of the ISPs that makes the difference?

Reply #384380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it not streamed in 1080?

Reply #384382 | Report this post

Nerd  
Years ago

Skud....

I'm the computer nerd which was mentioned earlier. What you've told me is obviously nothing new. You've gone off track to what was mentioned in the original comment. For the record my ISP is iinet, which is the major sponsor of the NBL.

I have no issues with internet connection or speed. I have the latest wireless equipment including: Pioneer TV, time capsule, cisco router, apple TV, iPad 3, to a 1440HD computer. I have tried all platforms (wireless and cable) and was rather surprised at the results.

The point made above, which you obviously missed, was the streaming quality released from NBL TV. It should be better than whats supplied. Not saying it's a bad picture but it should be a lot better with todays technology.

Reply #384386 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Like Skud said, it does depend on your ISP.

I run through Bigpond>PC>HDMI>TV and i get A+ quality. I'm on the same block as the exchange and i have my own ADSL line (Not on paired gain lines).

I know it's not HD, NBL TV said from the start that this year will not be in HD but in standard def, but honestly i get to watch every game live so i don't care if it's not in HD.

I used to work for Moshcam (Concert filming, live streaming etc, google it) and we would often get emails from people saying our videos were too slow, but after a few emails would find out they're trying to watch a video in HD on an ADSL1. Once they upgraded their speed with their ISP (if possible, some won't) it would fix the issue almost every time.

Reply #384390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have watched through laptop > PC cable > TV and iPhone > HDMI > TV and have never had a problem and I am with iinet.
Clearly depends on your ISP. Thankfully mine is great.

Reply #384392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have watched through laptop > PC cable > TV and iPhone > HDMI > TV and have never had a problem and I am with iinet.
Clearly depends on your ISP. Thankfully mine is great.

Reply #384393 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I had a hiccup on PC the first weekend, but since then every game has streamed without buffering and has looked good on my TV. All games have streamed smoothly to i-pad as well.

For me the service has equaled the others I use from around the world.

There are some replay issues that need to be fixed, but I dont really mind that to start with so long as the live games continue to work so well.

Reply #384394 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I've had numerous issues with NBL TV; however since my initial complaints, I've found that part of the issue seems to be the Browser.

I was using Firefox and streaming was terrible, swapped over to IE and it works fine with minimal interruptions.

I've got a ticket in with them to work out what the deal is. There's definitely a few big holes in the service that need patching; but I suppose Year 1 of the Service that's one month in, is to be expected.

Reply #384395 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Oh also, i use Google Chrome..

Reply #384397 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nerd, a lot of the hardware you mentioned isn't necessarily going to help if your connection has problems.

Reply #384400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also have a fiba.tv subscription, got it mainly to watch boomers and a little bit of euroleague, it also has a nbl site, cant watch the games live, geoblocked, but the games go up on replay on monday i think, the vision isnt quite as good, but it has the full game and seems to run fairly well.

I think both sites are run by the same people, so if they can have the full game on replay on the livenbl.tv site why cant they have the same for nbl.tv?

The ideal for me would be to have the livenbl.tv video as it doesnt seem to have the half hour delay issues,etc that nbl.tv does, with a slightly higher quality

Reply #384402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl tv has the replays up immediately where live nbl tv takes 24-48 hours.

Reply #384403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea exactly, i have both, just noticed on my nbl.tv often it cuts out the first or last quater, where livenbl.tv (fiba.tv) seems to have the whole game properly, but yea obvisouly a delay in getting the replay which is good imo, my main query was if the sites are run by the same people why cant they both have the same/full video?

I will definatly support nbl.tv despite also having fiba.tv, a- it has live games, b- we need to support the league in this so it stays for ever!

Reply #384409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I only have ADSL1 speed but it connects at 7mbit (Dodo crap, stream choppy) so would going to a stable ISP (Bigpond for example) be sufficient? Should be since NBL.TV is not HD?

Reply #384416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assume for the sake of argument if I do switch Bigpond would also be 7mbit.

Reply #384417 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

I have telstra and pc works perfectly for picture quality and constant stream. Laptop via wireless can be a fuzzy picture but still bearable.

Reply #384432 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

Works great for me, except Replays.

All replays start in the 2nd quarter for some reason. I have tried both Chrome & Internet Explorer & on different PC's.

Live streaming works a treat for me but, weird !!

cheers
Adam

Reply #384448 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I have Adam internet and always get crappy stop start streaming.

It is good to hear which ISP people are using.

Reply #384451 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Thanks King James, when problems for some users first came up, I thought it would be wise to have people list their ISP and type of connection.

I've had a few issues and I use Adam WiMax. I'm putting the issues down to this and possibly time of day as I've watched two games thus far, the sunday arvo was fine, but friday night game was terrible = more users taking my bandwith to mean frustrated viewing experience!? ;P

Reply #384453 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Now this is weird, cannot watch 36ers vs Cairns on my PC. Only get the Woolongong game and the quality is varied. Tried my iPad via the App late last night and again this morning and not only can I watch the 36ers game from the beginning but it is very good quality with no problems at all

Reply #384454 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

See if you can upgrade to ADSL2+ with your current ISP before you churn (switch) to another ISP.

The Churn process can be painful because your new ISP by law can not remove the F-Codes from your phone line (ADSL codes to get ADSL), it must be removed by your current ISP. And depending on their terms, some wait until the end of your current billing cycle, some even have 90 day periods for Churns. Then once your new ISP has been notified that the codes have been removed, they can add their codes. This will take a min 3 working days, sometimes up to 5. During those days you WILL have downtime.

Reply #384460 | Report this post

ClownDog  
Years ago

I have had absolutely no problems with the live games I have watched so far. I am using Internode ADSL2+ to my modem, and then wireless through the house from that. Have watched full games on my phone (HTC OneX) and my PC using Firefox. The games are high quality 99% of the time, but very occasionally the picture becomes slightly blocky for a few seconds, assumedly when the net connection becomes congested or something.

There are a few people like me on this forum who are not having any problems, so surely the blame shouldn't be put on nbl.tv.

Reply #384473 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

I've got TPG ADSL2 at one house and the streaming is rubbish, jumping, pixelated etc.

Same laptop at my other place using Netspace (iiNet) ADSL1 and it streams flawlessly without issue for the whole game.

You get what you pay for with internet.

NBL.TV works perfectly when coupled with a proper ISP.

Reply #384474 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

natwhereyourat alot of my old customers would say this. The churn process is just knowing who to call to complain about your service, and what to complain about.
If you can fault the service that your getting in comparison to the contract you have with the ISP the communication ombudsman is your best friend in getting them to speed up the process. Usually it shouldnt take more than a week for any business to switch you over.

This is the problem with ISP's, they are not held to standard to tell you the actual bandwidth their equipment will deliver and are very quick to blame wiring, distance from exchange as the reasons for speed issues. When you find out a commodore 64 is running their entire setup you realise why Dodo needs and can afford so many adverts with females in it.

Reply #384477 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

i am running Adam Naked ADSL and have no issues watching at all

Reply #384481 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I also have Adam Naked DSL and it was fine in Round 1, but terrible in round 2. I tried it on all 3 pcs I have.
Didnt use it in Round 3.

Reply #384484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW, Adam Internet just got bought by Telstra.

Reply #384487 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, I am Internode at work, TPG at home. Was going to switch home to Adam but Telstra have just bought them and I don't like Telstra much so might go with Internode.

Reply #384488 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

FWIW, I am with Internode, in round 2 I had some issue streaming on my PC but then started watching on the IPad and it was good so just use the IPad now, thinking about get Apple TV so I can watch it on the TV

Reply #384490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Telstra's takeover of Adam Internet, a sad day.

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media-centre/announcements/national-expansion-plan-for-adam-internet-following-telstra-acquisition.xml

Reply #384492 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

All I have at home is Telstra 3G Pocket Wifi and have had no issues with NBL.TV streaming to ipad, iphon and laptop.

Have also streamed via iphone (also Telstra) when out and about and no problems either.

As for the love of Telstra - unfortunately due to location that is about the only one I can go with :(

Used to have Internode for years and was always extremely happy with connection/service however it was on the dearer side and a change of location meant no longer staying with them.

Reply #384496 | Report this post

#project10k  
Years ago

WOW only 3 rounds in a people are already complaining about the best thing that has hit the NBL in the last 20years.

For all the complainers so far I can only see 1 issue get a real ISP provider and you'll have no problems!!

Like all NEW things there are going to be problems like we are having on reply’s starting in the second quarter (but only for some people, cutting out every 30mins on the iPad/iPhone but everyone has to remember its NEW less than 1 month old give the team at NBL.tv ago to fix the issues.

For me it’s been GGGRRREEEEAAATTTTT been able to watch EVERY game LIVE and if I miss a game just find the replay and watch that and if it s 36ers game just watch the highlights if any (LOL sorry had to through that in there*wildcats fan* ) but over all I think that this is great for the game, great for the NBL and special GREAT for us fans who ask for the ability to watch all games live .

I say to all the complainers GET OVER IT and just be happy the NBL listen to its fans and did something for US ALL .

Reply #384525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shittest games ever.

I want a full refund.

NBLTv is shit.

Reply #384556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can somebody list the real ISP providers that won't cause problems for streaming NBL.TV

Reply #384631 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

From Adam Internet

Doesn't stream good
* Adam ADSL2+
* Adam WiMax

Not many Issues with streaming
* Adam Naked ADSL

Reply #384634 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I have Adam Naked DSL and havn't had the best experience so far with NBL.tv

I have just changed my performance profile to see if that will make a difference.

Reply #384638 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

iiNet

You can then support the NBL at the same time and their ADSL2+ naked broadband service will switch to NBN seamlessly when that network begins to roll out!

Reply #384639 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Downloaded the NBL app to my iPad and it refuses to stream Wildcat games, the Wildcats being my preferred team.

However, using the same iPad and going to the NBL TV home page I can navigate my way through and watch the Wildcat games. Seems to work fine.

Screens for the app and web page seem to be the same but the app is simply a dog!!!

Reply #705104 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754