Jack Toft
Years ago

R7: Sixers @ Perth

Gee. Who's brave enough to tip another Sixers win?

This is probably one of the biggest games the NBL will see this season. New stadium, 12,000 strong crowd and the threat of the Sixers Voodoo over the Scratchy Cats. There's six other coaches recording the game for later viewing.

Its great to see a packed stadium, but the Sixers shouldn’t expect a welcome mat, not even from the office staff. I wonder how many "teething issues" await the Sixers in their changeroom. “so sorry, the showers don’t seem to be working...” As far as the crowd is concerned, it could it be full of cashed up bogans on their two week FIFO break! Leave the flouro vests at the door.

The Scratchy Cats roster is pretty talented. They do like to press, which didn’t really work against the Sixers and they dropped into the 2-3 zone defence. But offence? Redhage’s plan just seems to be dribble in and drop the shoulder into the defender for a blocking foul to get some FTs, and Robbins plan just seems to be drop the shoulder. Robbins gets a foul called on him an average of every 5.5 mins he’s on court, but probably commits more than that. Our worst fouler is Luke who gets one called on him every 7.3 mins, but probably commits one every 15.

Knight is the dangerman in my book, if he concentrated on playing well instead of flopping like Spongebob he’d be even more dangerous.

What rabbit can Marty and Rat pull out of the hat?

Topic #29944 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Just because your stadium is going to be a church in six months is no reason to throw around conspiracies about change rooms and fluoro vests.

New arena & first home game story aside, I think this should be a pretty good game, alot better than the TAB has it as at the moment anyway. As usual it depends on which 36ers team shows up and for the Wildcats they need to get the ball in the hoop at a higher percentage.

Wildcats will definitely be fired up and wanting to get one back after last week but will the 36ers luck in Perth from last year still be present? Challenge is now pretty much empty might be a good move when the Brett Mayer court becomes the Brett Prayer court?

I am excited and have been looking forward to this for a long time. The 24 page Wildcats lift out in the newspaper today was a good reminder of the good times in the city for the Wildcats.

Will the first game at the new jungle be tarnished by a loss or will these forums be calling for Marty's resignation by the time the team gets on the plane back to Adelaide?

Reply #387540 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

24 pages on the wildcats in one paper? the 6ers would be lucky to get 24 pages in a whole year!!

Reply #387544 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Alexkrad, would you mind sending me over a spare liftout? I need something to stoke up the Barbie and the dunny paper is running low also.

Reply #387549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth are notoriously inhospitable hosts for rival clubs off-court. Ask around.

Reply #387558 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'As usual it depends on which 36ers team shows up and for the Wildcats they need to get the ball in the hoop at a higher percentage.'

Gibbo, Petrie, Schensch, Weigh & Crosswell have been 'turning up' for yrs! They are winners.

Adelaide is 'title town!'.

Yes im starting a Marty thread!!!

Perth by 20

Reply #387563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Sixers win this I'm going to have to dust off my 'Marty Clarke deserves a contract extension' t-shirt.

Reply #387571 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Leave the flouro vests at the door"

Love it, you look down on people who probably earn a shiteload more than you ever will let along have a job with purpose and actual skills.

Reply #387572 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah Perth by as many as they want. Adelaide got bailed out by a out of the ordinary performance by a guy the coach doesnt see fit to play more than 5 minutes a game usually.

And Perth a complete jerks as far as accommodating to any needs requirements of road teams. They are a very dirty bunch but they have the banners in the rafters so who can argue.

Reply #387574 | Report this post

mk  
Years ago

Ahh every one just loves to hate the cats!!!! Suck it up ppl!!! 11,000+ Wouldnt u guys in wooden spoon town love to even have half of that!!!

Reply #387575 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Love it anon!

How can i buy one of these shirts?

Reply #387597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theyve won five titles, most in the league.

Reply #387611 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Smells like bait in this thread.

Wont be sending over the lift out for you to pleasure yourself over in the toilet or to marinate your meat in success for your barbie either.

We have actually won 5 titles, not 4. At least we have made the playoffs more than once in the last 6 years.. lets not mention the wooden spoons that you have been keen on collecting in recent times.

Reply #387612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To think you have only won one more title than the "pathetic" 36ers is laughable.

Your whole city is overrated!

Reply #387615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very happy that the NBL championship is decided by forum posturing. We're so going to win this by arguing.

Edit: Directed mostly at a since-deleted post replete with offensive language.

Reply #387620 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW - I'm just looking forward to seeing an NBL game on TV in front of 12,000 people! I didn't see teh Vector Arena games so it's like the 1990s all over again.

Hard to see Perth dropping the first game on the new court with so much emotional energy behind them. Playing their first game at home for the season will restore their self-belief and Beveridge will use that. I think the Wildcats will scrape home.

I disagree about Knight being the danger man though. Knight has been doing well all season, even in their losses. Lisch will be the key for a Perth win. If he starts well, he will open up their game enormously and bring Redhage much more into it than he has been in the last couple of weeks.

Reply #387632 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

In the game last week Lisch and Gibbo both ran themselves ragged in the first half both working extremely hard running off of multiple screens off the ball. They cancelled each other out.

Perth need their other guards to step up, Martin clearly had a bloody injured thumb and Robbins does not have quite the mobility he has had in past seasons, hard to say why.

Lisch needs support in the back court, but clearly Redhage is not currently at his normal top annoying level.

Reply #387649 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Will also be interesting to see the new Wildcat Stadium,
if they pack people in tight close in around the court,
the place will be as scary as hell for visiting teams.

Reply #387652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally would like to see Marty change up the starting 5, as the current starting 5 isnt the greatest imo, and im pretty sure i read some +- stats that back that up.

I would like to see a starting 5 and rotations of

C Johnson (20)/Schenecher (20)
PF Weigh (5)/Petrie (25)/Johnson (10)
SF Creek (22)/Weigh (18)
SG Massingale (20)/Cadee (20)
PG Gibson (25)/Crosswell (15)

with my starting 5 being Johnson, Weigh, Creek, Massingale, Gibson

Johnson - put him back to C and dont play him alongside Schensch too much, see if he can recapture last years form offensively.

Weigh - probably more of a SF, i started him at PF mostly because i wanted to start Creek at SF and couldnt see Weigh not starting, he has been fairly efficient and consistent this year, and boards well enough to play some PF in the NBL, he will still play most of his minutes at SF, with Petrie playing more than half of the PF minutes.

Creek - time to let the kid off the leash, he plays hard all game, everygame, makes things happen and is exciting for the fans. I reckon if we let him lose so to speak good things will happen and he will develop nicely into a Abercrombe type player, and star of the league, cant do that from the bench.

Massingale - i think he should start, be given the ball early to see if he is 'on' to score a decent number of points at a decent clip, i predict if given decent court time and freedom/opportunity that he would average around 15points at a decent say 40+ shooting percentage. With some big games along the way. He is also our only guard who is a natural scorer, which i think we need, and Gibson and Creek starting will keep the team playing good defense. I also think both Creek and Massingale are better than Cadee at the moment, and Schenscher isnt in great form overall, so would like to see Creek and Massingale start over Cadee and Schenscher, lets also see if CJ can make his 18pt game v perth a regular performance, he is also a import so you may aswell play him or give his spot to a young Aussie like Tom Daly, i think CJ will prove to be very good a Madgen/Goulding type (possibly better) if given a go.

Gibson - he is not a natural scorer to me, and a better PG than SG so moving him back to PG, where he can run the play, defend and score when the opportunity is there.

Probably wont happen but thats how id like to see the team line up, and reckon it would see improved results.

Reply #387658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you want to meddle, start Petrie in the frontcourt with Johnson and bring Schenscher off the bench.

Reply #387662 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Petrie in for Luke seems to be the consensus. Last game he scored on the first or second play he was involved in.

DJ as centre means he has the speed that most others don't. He can drag the other centre around the court, burst off a step and hello basket.

Peach has the grunt that is needed, particularly in a game like this.

Reply #387671 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Our starts have been ok, so i have no complaints about the starters.

We stutter during the contest, mostly 3rd quarters, so i think we need to meddle with minutes and the mix.

Reply #387680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget folks this game is the TV game tomorrow night, 9:30pm on One.

Hanging.

Reply #387689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want opposing front-courts to put up career high numbers you'll start Petrie and DJ together...no offence guys but that's a laughable idea.

I'd start Petrie with Luke. DJ usually only plays one good quarter anyway so just ride him when his hot's and let him sit when he's sooking and throwing up shit.

Reply #387724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree I wouldn't mind starting Petrie but he and DJ together would be a disaster. They're too similar, DJ's playing terribly and jacking up way too much rubbish so as a point of difference and with how good a passer he is (unlike DJ) I would start Petrie & Schenscher together.

Reply #387763 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

DJ and Petrie are very, very different.

I think the importance of the starting 5 decision is overstated tbh. Right now DJ's getting 29 mins per game, Petrie's getting 23 and Schenscher's getting 21. That's probably about right based on current form. Peach and DJ will spend a lot of time together regardless of who starts.

Reply #387764 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

...or I should say *considering current form. Based on current form alone, Peach would be getting 30+!

Reply #387765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ getting the most minutes of our three bigs is a big problem. Do some of you watch the same games we do? The guy is a cancer.

Reply #387775 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth by 15

Reply #387880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher is stinking it up tonight

Reply #387902 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

It's a shame that despite the awesome turnout to the game, all I can hear is the Arena music.

Did someone remind the DJ that there's actually 12,000 people there?

Reply #387904 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Good to hear some top quality heckling on live TV. ;)

Reply #387906 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

See Redhage just fall over then and Gibbo get the foul. One of the worst calls I've seen this year.

Ps I fucking love Peach

Reply #387907 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is it just me, or have we been called for 5 second inbound way too often this year? Most of the time it is coming out of a timeout too.

Reply #387908 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Perth at their dirty best tonight

Reply #387909 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

lol yay! a sack marty thread free week. bring on the 12 min quarter thread in lieu

Reply #387912 | Report this post

wildcat  
Years ago

While Perth have Toovey, Robbins and Martin in the same team we won't win a title. Neither of them can shoot to save themselves, and we expect way too much of Lisch.
And you can see why Gibson went to London instead of Martin.

Reply #387913 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

I don't think most people understand why Luke and DJ starts and Peach comes off the bench. Peach brings energy off the bench (even without his scoring talents) that Luke and DJ cannot bring if one of them was to come off the bench.

We've been riding Marty Clarke for the last 3 years, but this year (while not perfect), he's had the talent and all round players to make the right decisions like finishing the game with Peach and NOT Luke.

No coach would've started a player like Cadee and get the same results he has gotten now. He's coming along nicely with having a combo guard in Adam Gibson along side him.

Reply #387915 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

......BOGEY TEAM!

Reply #387916 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Brilliant game.

I love this team.

Reply #387917 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

alexkrad, where's my liftout?

Reply #387919 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Huge win, good to see us close out a very tough win

Reply #387920 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

LOL @Jack Toft

Gutsy win.

Reply #387921 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sack Marty!

Oh, sorry, wrong week...

Reply #387922 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Marty Clarke has no idea how to use Schenscher to the 6ers advantage offensively. Instead everything is rushed and he gets the ball in such odd spots. Sad really, can see his confidence is down right now.

6ers found a way to win a very ugly game. Didnt win in a way that really gives a fan a real sense of confidence going in to the next game etc but a win in Perth is always huge. Team still looks like headless chooks out there, I dream of a time when a true coach will run this talented roster.

Reply #387923 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

" he's had the talent and all round players to make the right decisions like finishing the game with Peach and NOT Luke."

Actually Luke was fouled out.

We really do need to learn how to use Schensh though, he isn't DJ and we need to give him the ball so he can have his little hook shoots rather than playing him like we do DJ. The passing to DJ tonight was great and worked to his strengths, passing to Schensh was rather woeful.

Still cant understand how Weigh's form demands the most minutes in the team, 4 points for 34minutes is just woeful.

DJ had a good last 3/4's the way he was going in the first I was pretty nervous he was horrible but pulled his head in and played the rest of the game really well.

Petrie had a great first half and should have really had some more minutes to keep him in the flow. Sat down to long and lost his mojo!

I started to forgive Clark last year when we beat the Wildcats twice, I wont do it again this year. I don't know what it is about the Wildcats but they really do struggle against us. They had 13 extra shots tonight and still managed to lose!

Reply #387924 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

More seriously, we won a messy game, in which both teams can play much better.

But sack the umpires. Perth gets away with so many hands in with no calls.

Reply #387925 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Never really noticed it before but Wagstaff is a whiney bitch, so many times tonight he was correctly called for an obvious foul and he did the "who me?" shrug. I can't stand that shit.

Great win, thought CJ might have earned a few more last quarter minutes after last week but Cadee hit some big shots and clutch free throws when we were struggling a bit so that worked out well.

Reply #387926 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

That was a great win for he team, I don't get the vibe that it was a bad game, thought it was a good tight tussle. The umps on the others and is another story.

Reply #387927 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Felt like a finals game in both atmosphere and play.....the teams match up well but Adelaide's got Perth's number at the moment. Tovey, Martin and Redhage look like they are struggling a little to find last season's touch.

Well done Perth, although appearing less intimidating, the PEC looks a great venue so keep bringing the crowds.

Oh and I imagine Sydney fans watching the broadcast tonight got a little nostalgic about the good old days when they could fill the SEC.

Reply #387928 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Yeh Perth should be congratulated on filling the stadium as well as the government for supporting basketball and providing a usable venue rather than stepping on them constantly and restricting their profits like some state governments do!

Reply #387930 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Schenscher's reaction time tonight looked just so slow. You could anticipate a fumble or his shot being blocked before it happened.

Must have been the long flight.

Reply #387931 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Now that was a great advertisement for the NBL. Well done to all concerned - great coverage from One, great atmosphere from Perth and a great game by the Sixers.

Reply #387932 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

How long has it been since the Sixers last strung together back to back wins?

Coach will be very pleased.

Reply #387934 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Forget back to back wins, when was the last time we had a 50% road record after 4 road games? I am guessing over 10 years.

Reply #387935 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Agreed. That was a great game to watch I almost wish it went to overtime. Either way. Congrats Perth on a massive turn out. Now if only Adelaide can follow the actions of Perth. Keep a winning team together. Start to get consistent wins. Bring back the 6k-7k crowds to adelaide

Reply #387936 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"DJ's playing terribly"
"DJ getting the most minutes of our three bigs is a big problem. Do some of you watch the same games we do? The guy is a cancer."

The guy got 21 points and 15 rebounds and you still bag him!

Great win tonight. Not sure what Creek has to do to get more time...

Umpires were crap, they did what they could to get Perth the win. At least every game Redhage and Wagstaff does that dirty cheating play where they score and then pretend they don't know what they are doing and knock the ball away. If Wagstaff attempts to run through Johnson it is fine but if he retaliates its a foul on Johnson. Dirty play makes the game look bad.

Reply #387937 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Nothing impresses me more than silencing a hostile crowd. And the wildcats are gold medalists at that.

Great team effort tonight and perhaps, we are slowly turning the corner (3 years on).

Next week Townsville (danger game) then home for 4

Reply #387938 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great win by the Sixers! That was a tough game and our guys didn't wilt under the pressure. Gibbo did a good job of finding DJ late for crucial baskets and Cadee showed he's up to the big occasion with that huge three and two calmly slotted free throws.

Crosswell and Petrie came in and once again got the team going after a shaky opening few mins. Crosswell just eats up the Cats full court pressure and Petrie is a great combo of defensive grit and silky offensive skills.

The two things I love the most about this game though:

1) We played pretty good defence for long stretches. I actually thought we defended better than Perth!

2) We are finally starting to become a good rebounding team. DJ in particular has improved this season and it was very evident tonight. Though Weigh didn't score much, I thought his rebounding was excellent too.

Nice dunks from Creek as well. Pretty happy with that performance. Lets hope they build on this momentum.

Reply #387940 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Weigh's rebounding has been amazing of late. 19 boards from SF over the two games against the Cats have been huge.

Great to see DJ show some agression in that incident with Wagstaff too, even if it did lose us the ball. Agree with billo, Wagstaff is a pest.

Cadee's compusure at the end against some physical D was fantastic for a guy his age. Perth just don't intimidate us like they do other teams.

Reply #387941 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Schensher.. please just retire...

Reply #387942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth cant play any worse!! Out ove touch and i think having a same team 4 that long? Need a decent import!! Need a plan b or may be when they start to hit the shots they are awsome! Look at the 1st game, demolished the breaker's!

Reply #387943 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Awesome win by the Sixers. As one of the few Sixer fans there it was one of the most satisfying wins I've witnessed. Made me miss watching the Sixers on their home court though. Can't beat it. But it feels great high-fiving the few other Sixer fans that you've never met after a win like that!

Wildcats played terribly - maybe they were getting used to the stadium and the the rings which diminished the home court advantage. Both teams looked a little nervous to start. First class defence by Gibbo on Lisch, Petrie was very good and Cadee clutch.

Can't wait to see my first Sixer home game in 2 years on 28th December against the Breakers!

Reply #387945 | Report this post

barefoot  
Years ago

Interestingly, Marty clarke7 of his 25 wins have come against the Wildcats, thats crazy

Reply #387946 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Refs were pretty crap. Schensch struggles a bit and I don't think you can blame it on positioning every time - he's been fluffing layups all season. Weigh gets minutes like Tovey gets minutes (and that usually works for Perth) - knows the plan and sticks to it. I liked when Creek got some SG minutes. Thought our D was mostly better than theirs. That trap with DJ was handy. Great effort levels.

What a game to have silenced 11k+!

Rat10! Blast from the past!

Reply #387950 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great win in fron of that many Cats fans.

Reply #387953 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That stadium looks amazing, olympic type stadium! 11,000 founds it looked brilliant, Perth deserve a lot of props for it, the way they back their team is impressive. I almost wanted Perth to win so the crowd would end the night on a high (and hopefully come back in their droves!)

For a low scoring match, it was very entertaining and physical. The huddles were just inches apart, blood spilt AGAIN and a few little bifs.

I feel the need to point out: Tovey is a tool, Wagstaff is a tool, Hire is a bit of a tool as well and Robins is a massive tool.

Also felt sorry for Redhage having just about all of his shots rim out, tough night for him.

Reply #387957 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think you're on to something KET! The Wildcats new home should be called the Toolshed instead of the Jungle!

Reply #387963 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

DJ's biggest issue is the way he gets his points. Nothing is a guarntee with him. Lost of long range 2 point attempts and lots of forced over under fake off balance attempts. When things go for him great but when not, the team struggles, he is a black hole when he gets the ball, it aint coming out. Made a few very bad plays in a row during the second period. Adelaide were lucky to out scrap a scrappy team. A good coach wont be happy with this performance at all.

Reply #387964 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Pretty enjoyable game, the atmosphere looked great! Agree with KET, it looked like the Olympics!

Few things I took from the game:

- Gibson was solid, made some bad decisions down the stretch, however his drive and dish for Cadee's 3 towards the end was huge! Also his defence on Lisch was critical. Should be no debate now between him and Martin regarding that Olympic backup PG role.
- Petrie is without a doubt the Sixers best inside presence, both on offence and defence. Watched him closely and his movement away from the ball was great. Continually helped the guards get free by setting great picks. I’d start him now!
- Mitch Creek had a great burst offensively in the first half, however his liability on the defensive end is the exact reason he doesn’t command more minutes! I counted 4 offensive rebounds he gave up! For someone with such gifted athleticism, he really doesn’t work hard enough on D!
- Not sure why Clarke didn’t play CJ earlier in both the 1st and 3rd quarters? Particularly with how he performed last week. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get him involved early and boost his confidence. Big Three in the last quarter however!
- I think DJ needs to be recognised for what he is, a developing big man with great offensive tools. He’s gonna take bad shots from time to time, but if he’s not attacking he’s worthless, his rebounding has improved and I thought he played solid D last night!
- Weigh hates need to relax, yes he plays too many minutes (He can’t sub himself out?) however I think he played until control and grabbed some massive boards in the last quarter!
- Both Cadee and Crosswell ran the point well, played under control, and didn’t let the press influence their decision making.

As for Perth, Knights a stud, Redhage / Tovey - duds!

Reply #387967 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

KET, instead of the Wildcats, maybe the Sidchromes?

Reply #387971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd was just awsome! Point the ovious, never seen a crowd that big at a game! Felt weird! No hm court advantage yet, perth played like they didnt wana lose! They just have to relax and not force the situation! All in all love perth but that's why i pay $2000 a yr. It's the nbl i love basketball i love perth! Just wish every team has the chance to play in front ove a crowd and a world class stadium! Closest will get 2 an nba! Stan walker ect, big screen shit! No player's names, fouls points so u dnt know anything! To bright, just the court should be lit up, dj a fkn joke! + no stickers on the court like wildcats or perth. Great specticale!

Reply #387972 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Negatives:
- Wildcats lost
- Umpiring was pretty sub-standard, both ways. Alot of missed calls or wrong calls and then make up calls. Also wondering why 3 steps is no longer a travel or why dragging your pivot foot a metre is not a travel either.
- Wildcats shooting lost the game for them again. Too many easy shots missed and relying on Lisch to do it all himself on too many plays.
- If I was an Adelaide member I would use the time when Crosswell is shooting free throws to go empty the bladder or hit up the bar. WTF that is horrible, I cant believe they go straight.

Positives:
- 11,000 people to a basketball game, most in WA ever, most in Australia/NBL for a long time? A few empty seats scattered around and in the corner blocks a few rows empty but I think they were all from muzz buzz or something because they mostly had purple shirts on.
- Perth Arena is a very good venue. Even though our seats are basically comparable to our seats in Challenge they were abit further away due to the larger floor. BUT the atmosphere was much the same if not louder.
- There was definitely an excitement in the air around the city with people in red heading down to the arena and littered through out food courts. Was good seeing the red army on the train like you see after a AFL game.
- Matty Knight is the star of the team at the moment and we will be in serious trouble without him.
- Mitch Creeks dunks were good but made me realise he needs to move on, he needs more minutes and isnt going to get many more behind Weigh. He isnt a SG so playing him there is a waste he needs to be at the 3 with a good shooter at SG. Maybe DJ/Petrie/Creek/Weigh/Gibson on offence and then DJ/Petrie/Weigh/Creek/Gibson on defence, not sure how much this line up has been used?

Reply #387973 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I heard someone just speak ill of Daniel Johnson... how they dont like the way he gets his points... how can ANYONE look past the absolute woefulness of Luke Schensher this season. He has been fumbling and missing put backs and lay ups all season. He is truly pathetic and I would take Diamon Simpson in a heartbeat overnhim. Some fool told me schenshers one o the best big men in the league... well in a league with 8 teams thats not that hard but then I really thought about it, how does he compare to opther big men..

Alex Pledgers better
Matty Knights better
Tragardh.. Better
Hinder... Hmmmm.. I trust him more when he has the ball... Better
Crosswhite.. Better in that he doesnt fuck up as much
Matt Burston.. better for the same reason as crosswhite
Larry Davidson/Gruber... Better

Luke Schensher is the worst starting big man in the league

Reply #387974 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hurls you arent a really knowlegable basketball mind, so Ill keep it simple. The coaching staff have no idea how to utilise the big man and where to get him he ball. He took one set jump hook and made it at the start of the 4th, everything else was off poor lobs and catching the ball out at the top of the 3 point line. The Crocs got a great deal out of him in the way of easy baskets because they used him to his strengths time after time. Adelaide arent. IF they were to set 5 low block plays up for him a game, the team would be much better and well balanced as opposed to all the rushed shots and TO's they are currently committing.

Reply #387975 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Whatever Kobe.. the guy misses gimmies.. is he really that precious that he needs a special play to put the ball in the ring from 2 feet away from it? doesnt take a basketball genius to see that he just sucks and if he needs special allowances to perform then he needs to play another sport.

Reply #387977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher needs to establish position, thats not the coachs fault. Knight was just too good for him, as have most big men been, added to by the fact Schenscher blows most of the opportunities his teammates make for him.

Reply #387978 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

EXACTLY what anonymous said! plus a play book and coaching isnt why he fumbles half the rebounds he grabs. he is just a crap player.. admit it to yourself.

Reply #387979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurls your quite simple arent you mate? Yes Luke has sucked on one end of the floor but the coaching staff play him for the way he helps disrupt shots at the other end. His weakness defensively is guarding the pick and roll/pick and pop but other than Larry Davidson at the end of the Wollongong game no one has hurt us with that option yet.

DJ is a giant sook who plays no D. As an example of the first 12 Wildcat points ten were caused by DJ (twice he got beaten off the dribble meaning someone had to help and saw their man hit a wide open three and two times from Matt Knight post moves).He had a good game last night but the guy avoids contact and if he actually was coachable and stopped being a black hole he could be league MVP.

Luke S gives us something DJ doesn't gives us, an defensive presence.

Reply #387980 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

7'1 guys will always need plays set up for them. Schenscher has been active on defense etc, its his offense or lack their of thats the issue here. Unlike a PG he cant just dribble, make a move and penetrate or pull up for a shot. I sigh that this even needs explaining, but so be it.

Reply #387981 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Kobe.. half the time he fails to even catch the ball!

Reply #387982 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Great crowd of 11,021 last night (less than the 'sellout' 12,000 and the Perth Arena's 14,856 basketball capacity, but who's complaining? According to a mate who was there parts of the upper section were blocked off, hence the less than actual capacity crowd and only 12,000 tickets sold). Had to love one wag giving it to Weigh and his 'Movember" moustache as he was taking his free throws in the 3rd. I think I heard being yelled out that "Weigh's mo sucks" or something similar lol.

Last nights 2 NBL games in Auckland and Perth drew 7,489 and 11,021 to the Vector and Perth Arena's respectively. That's pretty damn good IMO, especially considering that if the games were held at the NSEC and Challenge Stadium they would have potentially only got 4,400 and 4,500 crowds (last nights attendance in Perth beat what those two venues combined could have drawn, while Auckland's wasn't far off either).

While the NBL is still a fair way from the days in the 1990's when capacity crowds of between 7-15K were being recorded everywhere, it shows that the league is still well supported and is still growing and that can only be a good thing.

As for the game itself? Scrappy but a good win and well done to Daniel "Cancer" Johnson for his 21 points and 15 rebounds. If that is him being a cancer then forget the chemo. Other than his usual shot selection woes (8/18) he played well and with welcome aggression. He also seemed to muscle up a bit more on defense which was good to see.

Mitch Creek deserves more court time than he is getting. He only got 11:51 last night, which is probably 1 of 2 complaints I have of Marty Clarke from last night. The other is playing Weigh nearly 35 minutes for only 4 points (0, 0, 4 & 0), though he did grab 8 rebounds (2, 2, 0 & 4) and give 3 assists (0, 1, 1 & 1). Great to see Creek get the Perth Arena's first 2 slam dunks. His first was all class, out by the 3 point line and he cut them to ribbons, just drove straight through a gap and the Cats could't touch him. His second showed why he is not only the best athlete on the 36ers roster but why he is one of the best defensive players in the NBL. He showcased both attributes in one piece of play which I can't believe Perth went for after what he and Gibson tried seconds earlier on an inbound pass.

Have to agree with Issac, the refs were crap last night. How they didn't call a foul on Perth after Schenscher grabbed a defensive rebound then was practically pushed out of court in a 4-1 is beyond me. What, did they think he just stepped out of bounds by himself without being touched? He was under the basket when he got the ball and ended up on the wrong side of the baseline surrounded by 4 Perth players and no foul called?? And the amount of times the Wildcats got away with obvious fouls on our shooters was incredible. Ok we had 20 free throw attempts to Perth's 17 but we should have had about 30 IMO. Perth were at their dirty best at times last night and the refs were almost giving them a free hand to do so. Although he lost the ball because of it, DJ's shoulder bump on Pest Wagstaff was good to see and showed we weren't going to be bullied out of the game.

Did I hear Tony Ronaldson and Lachy Reid in commentary claim that Damian Martin should have gone to London instead of Adam Gibson? More than a bit of Wildcats bias there I think.

Overall, a good night for Perth with their good looking and larger new home....unlike Challenge the place looks like a basketball stadium fitting of a national league. And an even better night for Adelaide with the win. And of course it was a great night for the NBL. Who says basketball is dead in Australia?

Adelaide has now won 7 of their past 10 games against Perth. Who would they count as their bogey team, us or the Breakers?

Reply #387983 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Is DJ the most unpopular 36er of all time?

if he is not impersonating a blaok hole or whining to the refs, he is tugging at his shorts.

Huge potential, he really needs to improve his body language.

Reply #387985 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

schensh is there just to do a job. the job we wanted helliwell to do but helliwell was a spud.

he gives us a big body. teams have to choose who to send there best big defender to. if its to schensh then a 6'7/6'8 guy is likely guarding johnson or petrie and they will both make them pay. if you send you best big defender to johnson shensch will get some boards and some ball moving thorough his hands and will result in his good passing stretching the floor and getting us open looks or backdoor cuts.

this year, schensh's value is in more than how many stats he can rack up. he opens up our play.

Reply #387986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth's tactic of sagging off Schenscher when he was out from the basket to deny him passing opportunities was effective and I don't know why they stopped doing that.

Kobe24, other points aside, you can't deny that Luke is fumbling easy buckets inside. If he fixed that, it would be an immediate improvement. I know you look to defend him, but ascribing all blame to others is shirking responsibility and not going to lead to personal improvement for him.

Reply #387987 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

No doubt that Luke's in a slump and that it's mostly of his own doing.

I would bag hurls' ridiculously idiotic posts but it looks like others beat me to it.

Dude just said Russell Hinder was better than Schensch. There's no hope with this guy.

Reply #387988 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

If you watched the last quarter, Luke's value to the team is obvious.

Once he fouled out, Wildcats immediately looked to get easy layups to the rim, and their attacking confidence changed immediately once Luke was out.

Agreed Isaac though, i am not comfortable with an offence that has him passing and screening outside the 3 point line or even outside the key. If he cannot score from there is is no value there, and teams will and should sag off him when he is out there.

Reply #387989 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

alexkrad, its Brett Maher to you and it doesn't rhyme with Prayer.

Reply #387994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd last night was actually 11,562 (http://www.nbl.com.au/wildcats-home/news/article/2012/november/wildcats-beaten-by-adelaide/). Hopefully those two crowds are a sign of things to come. The league's best season average was somewhere around 6500 and last night shows its not impossible again in the future.

Adelaide were definitely the better team and the played very well. A few more made buckets and it would have been a nearly perfect effort.

FWIW the 36ers were -5 when Schenscher was on the court and +9 when he was off. Perth scored 34 when he was on and 31 when he was off. Adelaide scored 29 when he was on and 40 when he was off.

Reply #388006 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

this was a bit of a shock 2 me

Reply #388008 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

X, Hinder doesnt fumbles as much and ruin things = better player. Wow.. theres no hope for me!

and so what they looked to drive inside more when schensher is gone, due to an illusion that he might block them... just because he is able to provide an illusion doesnt mean hes a good player. Less fumbling, and less botched gimmies and then he might raise himself from woeful to adequate but hes not a good player. He is just TALL

Reply #388011 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's unbelievable , that we could get this rich , this quick . Paid $4.35 for thw win.

Schenscher - pretty good , 3/5/1 in half a game.
The star = 4/8/3 in a full game
about the same.

Reply #388018 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

"and so what they looked to drive inside more when schensher is gone, due to an illusion that he might block them"

Now hurls, I know you hate stats - probably because they have the potential to make you look stupid while you preach about how they're very misleading.

However, Luke is actually second in the league in shots blocked, so that may be more than just an "illusion". He's a far better defensive player than DJ and obviously a fair bit bigger than Peach.

Hinder is putting up 5 points and 3 boards at 37% as part of the weakest frontcourt in the league. Just... no.

Stop the vendetta.

Reply #388027 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson was the match winner for Adelaide
21 and 15. Who cares if he tugs at his shorts and has a winge. He is a top quality player who made big plays when it mattered. You can find fault with any player if you want.Since elevated to starting role at end of 10/11 season he has clearly been the most efective 36er. Learn to love his short tugging winging ways as he becomes the best offensive big in the league. (and helps your team win) if thats what you really want.

Reply #388028 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I was glad we were kept informed throughout the night on what beverage the commentators were drinking, even got a camera shot of it.

Reply #388029 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For those who missed out, they drank spring water and later lemon spritzers.

Reply #388030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, one game does not make a superstar. Anyone who knows the game can see how big of a problem DJ is.

He avoids contact, he's a poor decision maker, he plays no defence and he's a shithouse team-mate.

Yes I liked his game last night but he still killed the team defensively at times, still missed gimme shots because he doesn't go up strong. The guy is a soft big who wants to shot twenty times a match and winning is secondary.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets it together because if he does he will be the best big in the league but he is not a rookie anymore, probably makes the most money on the team and he needs to get his mental game up to the same level as his physical tools.

Reply #388032 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

DJ's a pretty good problem to have if you ask me!

Big guys with his shooting touch don't come around often, even at NBL level.

Since the start of this season he has shown a big improvement in rebounding and is getting better defensively.

Sure he has things to work on, but I think you are overstating his flaws.

Reply #388035 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Only one complaint with the coverage - less dancers during timeouts and show a replay for once instead.

Either that or less clothing on the dancers. Not fussed.

Except the fat one.

Reply #388036 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

X, its not a vendetta, its not as if the guy owes me money or something. And defensively he is OK... but his offense is TERRIBLE and I don't know how anyone could watch him and think any different.

Kobe said something about me not being a 'great basketball mind' probably as a way to infer that he was, but you would have to be a Mensa member to make a solid case for schensher being a good player. Defensively, Ok.. pop him in for 15 minutes a game, but he has proven hes not the guy to base the team around offensively. Because that would take the ability to catch the ball..

Reply #388043 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

Viewers on tv wouldn't have seen but did anyone else have a chuckle when Gibson ran onto the court only to somehow rip his pants off with 2min left in the 4th. I don't even understand how it is possible to do that haha!

Reply #388049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't that blood rule? Changed on court so he didn't have to sub out.

Reply #388050 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Yeah top work by the veteran

Reply #388051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a bit annoying One didn't replay Damian Martin's monster block on Schenscher's dunk attempt too.

Reply #388058 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

yeah but that would prove my point that schenshers a dud

Reply #388071 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

As an individual, Schenscher is limited offensively, but he's great offensively from an overall team perspective. He draws double teams and brings his teammates into the offense with his passing.

Having both Schench and Johnson on the same team makes for an intriguing contrast, one puts points on the board but doesn't always involve his teammates, the other is dangerous because he plays his role in an offense so his teammates can score but may struggle to score himself.
Either way both players are valuable if given properly executed offences..

Its all comes down to perspective in the end, and while both can be frustrating occasionally, they can also be game winners for very different reasons.

Reply #388075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurls you are not listening to logic here mate.

I agree with Kobe, you ain't a great basketball mind.

Reply #388107 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Nice call X "except the fat one".
ROFL

Reply #388112 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

pfft. Do you guys watch the game with your eyes closed?

the fact that you even have the gall to say the Schenshers any better the terrible fills me with laughter.. It isnt even worth debating with you... I feel like I am debating Evolution with creationists who think the world is flat. Oh well, Yes Schenshers a good player :) the sky is green, and stalks are where babies come from.

Reply #388122 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurls, stick to one part of your argument and maybe you might have a chance. E.g., the offensive end and his personal ability there. Saying he's a crap player won't win many to your cause because he is not without his benefits.

Reply #388130 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I take it that Hurl's future posts looking for players to play at Golden Grove will include a disclaimer *Luke Schenscher need not apply*

Reply #388132 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Haaaaaaaaaaa

Reply #388143 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Yes BigAds, he need not!

and Isaac fair point, he comes with his benefits.. but then again so would having someone run out onto the court and moon the other team while taking free throws

Reply #388146 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Did Hurls just volunteer?

Reply #388151 | Report this post

The Guards have to use big Schensher better, he's not the Centre I want posting up 10 feet out with his back toward the basket. I played with Luke in district juniors and the same principals apply - drive and dish to him, draw his defender and Luke will finish every time. If you decide to shoot and miss the layup, he's picking up the crumbs. What I find Luke does best that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is changing the opponents shot. I'm a season ticket holder and I swear he would save 8 pts per game on changing shots in the lane.

Don't expect too much from the big fella on offence, one time in our distinct game Luke got a offensive rebound under the basket, went up with two hands and pinned the ball under the backboard then landed with it and got called for a travel.

I love our team this year compared with what our last 5 - 7 years have produced I thInk any team would be happy with Schencher, Johnson and Petrie as their bigs.

Reply #388155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"drive and dish to him, draw his defender and Luke will finish every time"

The problem is, at the moment, he is missing more lay-ups than he is making.

Reply #388211 | Report this post

Howto  
Years ago

DJ understandably can be extremely frustrating. Defying logic, he seems quicker with the ball than without allowing his opponent to blow by him. Not to mention that when he gets the ball it vanishes into the DJ abyss, never to be seen again until its either turned over or jacked up for a shot.

He seems to have the wood on Perth though (21pts 15rebs this week and a decent game last week even though he missed 6-7ft attempts.

When he and Gibson play the two man game it seems to open things up for Adelaide and give them options offensively especially when he rolls to the basketball. From memory Adelaide did the same thing last year with Shannon. He needs to put that jump shot back the holster though.

Reply #388217 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hurls, do you mean storks are where babies come from?

Reply #388238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job Marty !! Keep the haters quiet,love it.

Reply #388332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Mrs. Clarke.

Reply #388337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, well done Marty! made Perths extended D look silly again. you would think Bevo would learn, out coached again.

Reply #388363 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As Boti suggested, Radford and Weigh must be a significant part of keeping Adelaide as Perth's bogey team.

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but if these two teams happened to meet in the finals, I wonder how Bevo would sleep the night before!

Reply #388366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A long way to go yet, but that would be interesting.

Reply #388388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are horrible.

Also as mentioned above give most of the credit to Radford for all the wins against Perth, not Clarke.

Reply #388454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goes to show Bevo is a one trick pony never can adjust even after all the losses vs Radford.

Reply #388455 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You guys know that you don't play finals just from beating Perth twice a year, right?

Reply #388458 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

yeah, but double dacking Perth is pretty good

Reply #388462 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I can't argue with that!

Reply #388463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackt off, you can't get on this you ae one of the haters!!

Reply #388470 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thank you for your insight anon.

Since when have I hated the Sixers?

Reply #388490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754