Daveo
Years ago

36ers new import: Scott Christopherson?

Andthefoul.net Facebook page reporting they will announce the Sixers new import tonight. Any idea who it could be?

Topic #30306 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Just saw that post too and came here to share. But no idea about who it could be.
Heck, I'm still flabbergasted as to how an NBA player can miss 25 shots in a game

Reply #393829 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

Julius?

Reply #393831 | Report this post

Daveo  
Years ago

Just re-read and noticed it didn't actually mention 'import' so may be a returning Aussie?

Reply #393833 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Ater Majok

Reply #393834 | Report this post

Tru blue Emcee  
Years ago

Scott Christopherson

Reply #393841 | Report this post

Tru blue Emcee  
Years ago

Link: And the foul

Reply #393843 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Hmm... Will reserve judgement on this one.
Article doesn't give you much confidence.

Reply #393844 | Report this post

Years ago

SOUNDS GOOD - OUR LAST CYCLONE IMPORT in adelaide WAS A MVP.

that will test your knowledge...

Reply #393846 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"He was released by the team recently after averaging over 6 ppg whilst shooting the ball at 35% from the field."

Ehhhh

Reply #393847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im staying optimistic and hoping he is a Lisch, DeVries type, who are good NBL imports,

his college numbers are solid, not great but solid, Will Blalock went to the same college had similar overall numbers and was a decent NBL import, so i hope he can be of similar standard.

we are getting him for min salary so cant expect a stud, all i ask is that Marty plays him atleast 20 mins per game and gives him a chance to perform.

Welcome to the team Scott, hope you get a chance to play and do well and make a great career for yourself.

Anyone know if he will be in for the Breakers game on the 28th?

Reply #393849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few SEABL teams had passed on him.....will have my fingers crossed he worksout thou as the 6ers need all the help they can get!

Reply #393850 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whats the quality of the Belarus league like? Can anyone shed any light on it?

Reply #393851 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Seems like we released Massingale only to sign another Massingale, while enduring three weeks where we could have used Massingale...

Hope I'm wrong and he can become a starter for us.

Reply #393852 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Scott Christopherson will fill a large hole in the team after import CJ Massingale was released a few weeks ago"

Does this mean he will play CJ's 'Large Hole' minutes?

Reply #393853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was good he still be playing there.

Reply #393854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was good he still be playing there.

Reply #393855 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Does not seem the most inspired pick, but as i have said before the aussie content on the roster should be enough for us to get win. If he can get the ball in the hoop all the better.

Reply #393857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Scott ,average 6points per game,another shitty import IMO,we won't make finals unless he scores 20 a game! I'm disappointed here.

Reply #393858 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could make finals without an import scoring anything, but need better coaching from Marty to do it.

Guessing this is the smart shooter he wants? Reasonable clips at college from three and the stripe. Cross your fingers.

Reply #393859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering noone in the league is scoring 20ppg you might want to re-think that. Maybe some smart, informed opinion could come from you next time?

Reply #393860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No excuses now Marty!

Released Massingale (dumb) so now needs to get 36ers to finals.

Reply #393862 | Report this post

Quincy  
Years ago

Mmmmm we just wait til it's official ,looks fast on court .
Like the comments of anonymous disagree with his own comments.

Reply #393863 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Didn't Clark say he wanted a player who could create his own shots and drive to the basket...nothing about the reports on this guy say he has that ability.

Should have spent the money on a coach

Reply #393864 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It is pretty ironic that in Europe this guy when playing less then 20 minutes (which he will be playing for the sixers) he shot 20% from 3 point range, yet CJ gets let go for shooting better then that.

I hope he turns out to be a Lisch type but from what I see is that it shows more evidence that CJ was used as a scapegoat by Clarke.

Reply #393865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is everybody going to realise that CJ didn't get cut because he wasn't what they wanted.. It was because Marty and Radford disliked the guy especially the latter... Hence replacing him with a similar (if not less talented player)
If true just makes them look even more stupid IMO

Reply #393866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand. I mean give the guy a chance but strange to go for a risky unknown signing.

Reply #393868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong wrong wrong needed a guy who they said they wanted a guy who could create his on shot not another spot up shooter! We're cooked! I hate u Marty n fat controller u have ruined the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #393870 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Watching some clips of him seems to have a Ben Madgen type game. I would be happy with that, as long as he he is aggressive. Need someone who can hit the three but also penetrate and finish or dish. If he brings that I would be happy with this signing. But time will tell.

Reply #393871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he is half as good as Madgen he will be a good pick up.

Reply #393872 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

It does get boring, get us a new import then before he arrives bag him for why he might not work and the back to Marty play him for minutes crap. He is not and neither was CJ a $200k import starter, why expect that......

Reply #393873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Safe to predict another dud signing. 6'3" SG who can't create, is not overly athletic and doesn't appear to be a lock down defender.

Clarke's way of taking revenge on the fans who want him sacked...making things even more unbearable. Is he taking the piss?

This bloke wouldn't get a SEABL import position.

So depressing.

Reply #393875 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

yeah was hoping for someone to get excited about, an import with a little personality and flair to his game.....maybe next year.

Reply #393876 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

lol this kid wouldnt even make a seabl roster. dead srs

Reply #393878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singlets if they want a cheap import, that u don't expect much of get willie Farley back. Least at 50 yrs old he can still create his on shot n brings some excitement. I think it's more frustration with Marty, we have one of the most talented rosters in the nbl, can clearly see we need an athletic guy who can penetrate the lane because apart from gibbo nobody else can and he goes and signs this guy. I'm not expecting a expensive import just one that fits the teams needs!

Reply #393880 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Christopherson was playing for the bottom team in the VTB United league, the best in Europe outside the Euroleague. He only played five games, so I would take too much from that stint.

His first one he tore a decent Russian team (ie NBL standard) a new one with 16p on 5/7 and 2/2 3p. After that his minutes and shot attempts dropped away.

I havent watched any of their games but in Europe that can happen to guys who struggle to get the team defence or are just bad defenders.

I highly doubt he will be at the level of Lisch or a fit Devries, who is the third leading scorer in Spain. He could be similar offensively to Lisch straight out of college though.

Should be a step up on Massingale at least and has the benefit of coming down half a step in standard instead of trying to go up 1.5 steps.

Reply #393883 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

hopefully he gets on the court against the Breakers.

Reply #393885 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Best of luck to him. What's he or the fans got to lose.

A paid trip to Australia in summer and a quick visit to google would have given him a pretty good idea that Adelaide is a transit lounge for professional basketballers. Enjoy the buffet, the Sixers really should be sponsored by Adelaide Airport or the Department of Immigration.

As fans we get a new player to chat about, get excited by his first game and then slowly watch him get less and less minutes and feast on the innuendo about why he can't deliver the way he did in his first game.

We've seen enough of the import carousel to make an educated guess whether or not he'll be here next season, but as always I liike happy endings so hopefully I'm wrong.

Reply #393886 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

He Flies in tomorrow, so he should be active for the breakers game.

Will be interesting to see how he goes considering he is a PG that only avg 3.6 Assists on his team in collage..but it was Royce Whites team.

Reply #393887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as Creek went down surely they needed an athletic 2/3 who can get to the basket and create.

When we need a Christopherson he gets a Winder or Howard and now he does the opposite.

If we were going to go a 6'2" guard why not go for Homicide Williams who contacted the 36ers and indicated he wanted the spot.

Exciting, can get to the basket and a previous league MVP.

I wouldn't have signed Williams as I would have signed a SG/SF but just pointing out that if we weren't going for need then there were far better options available within our budget.

Indeed this guy isn't an upgrade on Massingale and we could have avoided the PR disaster from his sacking and we probably would have beat Perth and Townsville if we had him.

Unbelievable!

Reply #393888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great, another guard.

That makes 5 of them ion team.

Needed a 3 man, especially with mitch going down.

That just means weigh now plays even more time, if thats possible.

Reply #393889 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just watched a half of one of his games. The big issue appeared they were trying to use him as a PG when he is an SG.

Has a decent handle as an SG so he can help against presses which is very handy in the NBL, but doesnt have the speed or instincts of a PG.

He can create his own shot though and has a nice stroke (40%+ 3p in college and 50% in VTB league). His defence is ok but he will have to pick it up against the level of guards here. He is definitely a rookie, plays young.

It seems to me the 36ers have gone for someone who can give them what they thought Massingale would be able to. His pedigree is good it's just a matter of whether he can produce.

Reply #393890 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the new man. Marty and the Rat have been so solid and stuck behind all their memorable import choices so far...

Reply #393892 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The new imports first game is their best (other than CJ) , then they make a wrong pass in clarke's system,
mucha like BigAds has just said.

Reply #393893 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Just being devil's advocate here:
If this guy does OK and we make the playoffs, does that mean Marty is a chance at being back next year?

Reply #393894 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

massive "IF"

Reply #393895 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

So, assuming this is the guy, it seems safe to say that he's white - which may be significant, given some reported comments and attitudes - and that his recruitment is not about bringing initiative or excitement to the team or fans.

While that is sad for said team and fans, I guess it ensures the coaches will be able to continue micro-managing plays on a pass-by-pass basis without having to worry about a player wanting to display some initiative or actually try to spark the team, lift the crowd or win matches.

Seems to me that in turn means we are likely to continue seeing the point guard standing in the middle of the court waving his arms trying to get players into positions they seem to have no idea about or don't want to be in.

Reply #393898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea bringing in a black excitement machine and initiator who cant get it done. Yet the knowledgable fans want that.
Sixers are rooted this year and its only a matter of time before the season is ended nd the can start rebuilding agin.

Reply #393899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Adelaide's roster they really should be a top 2 team.

Think if they had Massingale they would have beat both Perth and Townsville, funnily enough. Instead they keep Crosswell who air balled and free throw, yet Massingale barely missed a FT. Go Marty lol

Reply #393901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massingale was terrible.

Reply #393902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have no wings. Weigh plays the 3, but he plays more like a good shooting big than a wing.

Reply #393904 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

36ers are a bunch of morons. they couldnt run a brothel. this Cristopherson kid, couldnt perform in a country which isnt even in the top 80 basketball nations in the world. Another clever play by an incompetent coach and an incompetant franchise that desperately needs Ken Cole to take over

Reply #393908 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

From the looks of Christopherson, and if the requirements are for a player that can score and create for himself, I would have stuck with Massingale.

Massingale would have been serviceable but not the 6ers saviour.

I think fans should not expect the world of Christopherson. Hope the plays aren't too complicated for him to pick up in weeks.

Reply #393909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurl, top 80, stop pretending you know shit..

Reply #393912 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I haven't seen enough of Christopherson to go and condemn his signing before seeing him play. But from the couple of YouTube clips I've seen he has good range and a good shot.

I'm prepared to see how he plays with Adelaide under Marty Clarke before passing judgement on him. And on that note I hope he turns out to be one of the better import players we've had here in Adelaide.

Reply #393915 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

In the spirit of Christmas, welcome to Adelaide and the 36ers, Scott. I will wait until I have actually seen you play for the 36ers before judging your ability and the wisdom of your recruitment.

Reply #393918 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

very favourable final year numbers to that of Lisch despite being at a more prominent school and tougher conference.

I hope the sixers have bagged a diamond here for everyone's sake.

i was expecting a 6'5 2/3 but if this guy can give us some consistent outside firepower options then that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Reply #393919 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

"Can't get Carter or DeVries back....hey how about Scott Christopherson, he's young and will do everything we tell him to do"

"Mark, call the front office and tell them to customise the media release we sent out when I signed Troy DeVries. Oh and Merry Christmas Mark, lets blow this popsical stand"

Reply #393920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's official.

http://www.nbl.com.au/teams/36ers/news/article/article///scott-christopherson-joins-36ers/

Reply #393925 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Guys, seriously? Do you want the 36ers to fail?

Christopherson hasn't even landed in the country yet and immediately he's a dud...

I'm just as frustrated with the team's performance thus far as anyone else, but bitching on a forum about a player nobody has ever had a decent look at is just retarded.

In all likelihood, Marty probably has a better idea of how good Christopherson is than any of us. If Marty's wrong, and he is a dud, then it will take a big effort from Gibbo, Petrie, Johnson, Weigh etc to make finals.

And if we don't make finals: Marty will be gone by next season. Be happy.

Criticizing is easy. Take the high road, come out to the 6ers-Breakers game this week and hope for the best.

It's up to the players (and coaches) to win games, but it's up to us to keep the club alive. So do it.

Reply #393931 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Good luck Scott, hopefully we can turn this around and make a run. It is now or never, if we don't win At least 4 from the next 6 the season is over. Go Sixers!

Reply #393932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all likelihood, Marty probably has a better idea of how good Christopherson is than any of us.

Craig Winder
Troy DeVries
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
John Williamson
Chris Warren
Diamon Simpson
CJ Massingale
Scott Christopherson

Reply #393933 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

100% agree there PlaymakerMo. Well said. How about we give the guy a chance and actually support the club instead of immediately jumping online and claiming that the 36ers have made yet another mistake in recruiting under Clarke.

Reply #393934 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Well said Mo. Although I think it's going to take more than finals for Marty to keep his job. Unless we look like serious contenders at the end of the year, I would expect Marty to be gone.

Dayumm that list of imports is horrible. I wish we could have a better hit percentage on our imports, similar to when Smyth was coach. Mee, Brooks, Farley, Rychart, even Garrison knew his role and fitted in on the team.

Reply #393935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My criticism is not that of Christopherson but why we would go a 6'3" SG/PG (who will turn into a 6'1" SG in a PGs body as soon as he's off the plane) when a blind man can see we need a 6'6" SG/SF.

In all seriousness just give Daly a proper crack. Even Doyle is a heck of a player. See if he can give us some speed and instant impact off the bench.

Also from a business standpoint we've lost the opportunity to get a high flying import who can add some excitement and sell some tickets. Creek out and Christopherson in makes us arguably the most boring team in the league. Can anyone point out a less exciting team?

Does ownership get a say in import selection or does Clarke have full discretion?

Reply #393937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dayumm that list of imports is horrible. I wish we could have a better hit percentage on our imports, similar to when Smyth was coach. Mee, Brooks, Farley, Rychart, even Garrison knew his role and fitted in on the team.

Imports during the Phil Smyth era:

Kevin Brooks
Darnell Mee
Willie Farley
Matt Garrison
Charles Thomas
Dusty Rychart
Nick Horvath
Adam Ballinger
Mike Chappell
Julius Hodge

10 imports in 11 seasons, Marty is onto his 9th in 2.5 seasons.

Reply #393939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ no wonder we went broke!!

Reply #393941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My criticism is not that of Christopherson but why we would go a 6'3" SG/PG (who will turn into a 6'1" SG in a PGs body as soon as he's off the plane) when a blind man can see we need a 6'6" SG/SF.

Cost.

6'6" SG's for the most part cost more than an undersized 6'3" SG.

Reply #393942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interested to know what SEABL club turned him down, I think that might be some BS!

Reply #393944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

marty clarke for the fail once again how many times in one season can he keep doing this...

Reply #393946 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

league minimum = he aint gonna be all that

hopefully he is great bang for buck and isn't happy how his last gig went down and wants to prove himself. It's just that no matter how good he is, as soon as he starts getting hot, Clarke will bench him.

Reply #393952 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

Firstly compare apples with apples. Clarke v Smyth is stupid, different era, different salary cap and still Smyth at the end of his era copped crap and people wanted him gone.

Secondly all teams have had a high turnover of imports not just Adel which IMO is a reflection of the reduced salary cap and the abiltiy to recruit and keep better quality at the moment.

Thirdly how about we give this guy a chance before bagging him. It seems everyone wants success but wants to complain and hate on the club more.

Reply #393953 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You can't dismiss the power of the Internet in the modern era. It is a lot easier for players to advertise themselves to the world. Hence the player is searching a larger field now for their next gig and coaches don't need to look that hard with tape and scouting reports everywhere to choose from.

Reply #393960 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Also those imports of Smyth would have been on 4/5 times what a good import gets these days

Reply #393962 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yet we are blessed with some quality Imports at the moment.

Reply #393965 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Seriously, do some of you actually want the 36ers to fail? Some people here seem to have Christopherson marked as as a dud before they've even seen what he can or can't do.

I'm not saying the club has made the right choice of player, but I'm not saying they've got it wrong either. I'm at least prepared to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and see how he plays with the 36ers before adding him to Marty Clarke's growing list of failed imports.

Reply #393967 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Singlets...please don't let facts, logical thining and common sense get in the way of some Clarke Bashing....thats very Un-Australian (South Australian).

Reply #393970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singlets we want success, we have a talented roster but sit down the bottom of the ladder. It's not like the last 2 yrs when the rosters wernt as talented. The team needs an athletic 2/3 or even Williams who can get to the rim (Williams wanted min salary) instead the club goes and gets a shooter, who might be a good player who knows? But not what we need hence all the hate!

Reply #393973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally id rather the club go the safe option and sign Dorsey who apparantly contacted the club, he is an athletic sf/sg with NBL experience.

Im hoping this guy is the next DeVries or Lisch.

Reply #393976 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

10 players. 5 pg/sg 1 s/f 1 dnp c 2 c and 1 pf.
Great balance??? Stevie to play 35 plus. 4 to share whats left after Gibbo's 35. Crazy

Reply #393977 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

So another player for Clarke to screw up...............sit on the bench and not have an opportunity to contribute and then blame him for your shit coaching you tool. Clarke you have stuffed this team and any opportunity we may have had at finals. Great 3 year plan and great way to succeed with one of the best rosters in the league. Tool

Reply #393982 | Report this post

Years ago

Too many pessimists and not enough believers

Reply #393985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are believers.

We truly believe its the wrong selection.

Reply #393992 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Memo to Isaac :- this site appears to be going the way of the old Perth site. Outrageous comment by either the very young or people with not enough brains to be an idiot. Please can we have some sort of identifier instead of the inumerable anonymous posts?

I also believe that we need someone who can drive and dish. We also need a reliable outside shooter so that the defence can no longer sag off their player and clog up the middle negating our bigs. Maybe, just maybe one of our problems have been attended to.

I too will be considering what to do with the season ticket that I have religiously purchased since 1985.

It's over to you Marty

Reply #393993 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"I also believe that we need someone who can drive and dish"

*Cough* Gibbo *Cough*.

"We also need a reliable outside shooter so that the defence can no longer sag off their player and clog up the middle negating our bigs."

Ummm...Weigh is #1 in 3pt%, Petrie is actually 41.7% but does not qualify as he has not made enough shots.

"It's over to you Marty"

Of course....its all on Marty (and the Redhead).

Reply #393996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

poor adelaide just go no hope of winning nbl title. charlotte bobcats will win nba title before you guys win nbl. adelaide 36ers are over rated

Reply #393997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same agent

Reply #394000 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Ater Majok replaced him in europe.

Reply #394001 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Singlets, +1.

Reply #394005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope this poor bloke knows what he is getting himself into with the 36ers

Reply #394009 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I think Marty will do to this import what he does with the majority of his imports which is tell them to stand in the corner and wait for the three point shot. Which sounds like a good plan in this instance cos it looks like scott can actualy shot 3's but then again it looked like CJ could shot a 3 before he got here too.

Reply #394012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ shot the 3 very good after the first few games. He also made 90% of his free throws!

Reply #394014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ made 2 of his last 10 3-point attempts.

Reply #394017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for Clarke to get sacked! Hopefully the 36ers keep losing.

Reply #394018 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Corin Henry wasn't predicted to do well either. Look at him. On paper, he is a 5'10" guy who played in some league no one has ever heard of. Give this new guy a break ffs. So many people on here are such shitheads. You ego-maniac fuckers just need to wait and see before making ridiculous predictions. Look at his 3pt shooting percentages in his college career. If he doesn't have good numbers in whatever European country he was playing in, maybe he is a standup shooter who didn't have the facilitators that he did in college.

I am getting more sick of this site every day with the kind of bullshit people go on with. Half of the time I go on this site now, it's because I feel like laughing at people's stupidity.

Reply #394021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corin Henry is a PG. At least Heal got that right.

If you think a team with 4 PGs, 1 SF, 1 PF and 3 Cs is balanced and praise worthy then by my guest.

If you don't want criticism, feedback or constructive feedback then why visit Hoops SA? Go to www.disney.com

SA basketball fans have always been knowledgable and passionate. When we see something we don't like we voice it. Would prefer that to other teams who don't have enough fans to support a forum or ongoing financial viability.

Whether you love it or hate it, Adelaide fans will crucify a coach, management if they picked Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. No point complaining. That is how it is.

It's not personal against Clarke. When Smyth failed to go hard enough after Newley and Ingles he to was criticised. Given he had won 3 championships with the 36ers I would argue he was shown less mercy than Clarke by the fans...especially given his failure to sign them hasn't proven as costly as first imagined given they have spent so long in Europe.

Reply #394022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spursfan needs a hug STAT! Im sick of the record Marty and the rat thing have... being able to vent on this site is the only thing keeping me from going completey insane. Give him a chance and all that blah blah, but lets face it he looks weak, and sadly the club needed a legit go to guy. IF they werent going to use the $ to sack the coach atleast spend it on a stud.

Reply #394026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, if you think the fans on this forum are unduly harsh then I would say that the reason that the criticism has gone from the odd Bronx cheer to a thunderous stampede is because the owners have failed to act. If the necessary change had been made then there wouldn't be petitions, Facebook pages and 500 threads on this site wanting Clarke gone.

In business most owners step up to meet their clients/fan base before things get to such a level.

Each game Clarke continues and with each personnel decision that he makes the owners might as well put up a big "F U' on the scoreboard to the fans.

Why they have the balls to cut player after player and show them no loyalty but are prepared to stick by Clarke is ridiculous.

What was the issue between Grantham and Clarke that Boti alluded to? Did she want him gone but didn't get the support of the owners?

Reply #394027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke has axed three imports in three seasons. Its hardly remarkable, specially when one was injured and another one a gamble on a guy who has never made it as a pro.

Reply #394029 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Anon 394022

"If you think a team with 4 PGs, 1 SF, 1 PF and 3 Cs is balanced and praise worthy then by my guest."

The new guy is more of a two. Gibson has spent more time playing the two than the one at both NBL and Boomers level in the last few years. Two ball handling guards are a common recipe for success in the NBL at present.
DJ is a 4/5 and seeing as he does his best work facing the basket and off the dribble rather than working on the low block 4 is probably his natural position in offence. The fact that he can't defend anyone applies no matter where he plays. At least you got the 1 SF bit right.

"If you don't want criticism, feedback or constructive feedback then why visit Hoops SA? Go to www.disney.com"

Much of a muchness. Plenty of fantasy that makes me laugh at either site. At least on here there is a smattering of adults. Usually with a username rather than anons.

"SA basketball fans have always been knowledgeable"

Maybe you listen to Carfino too often.

"When we see something we don't like we voice it".

I would say it is more like..When we loose we like to blame people.

"Would prefer that to other teams who don't have enough fans to support a forum or ongoing financial viability."

Other fans have common forums and often like to discuss the game in general as well as their own teams. They also visit here because quite a few posters who frequent here and other non sixers threads have a good insight into all things basketball. Of course when the Sixers loose they also come here to laugh at the negativity based usually on the result and little else.

"Whether you love it or hate it, Adelaide fans will crucify a coach"
You got that bit right.

As far as Marty goes I think his two biggest failings are.
Not being able to get a player with the tools that DJ possesses to play within a team concept in offence and improve his defence.
Believe it or not. Not getting more shots for Weigh out of his sets. Weigh is about as good a 3pt shooter as there is and has the skills to take smaller threes on down low. Not sure why he gets so much criticism as he has been solid on both ends of the court pretty much all season.

Reply #394037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100 comments
merry christmas dicks

Reply #394042 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Just gotta give Marty a fair go, other coaches get multiple seasons to formulate a fruitful season, why can't Marty get the same courtesy?

Reply #394044 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , you shouldn't feel offended or anything , if you don't get it , you don't really have to think about it - Weigh plays the teams most minutes every game in a losing team . Creek the most popular with the crowd and Petrie number 2 , in limited minutes off the bench.

Reply #394049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus bloody Camby again! Mate your guy has had 2 and half disgraceful seasons, with zero sign of progress. A coach who shows some level of porgression will and is intitled to a 'fair go', in his time being paid as a pro coach, all he has proven is he deserves a assistant coaching role. The discussion is past, the jury is in. He will not coach the Adelaide 36ers next season, and with the team they have, would be nice for a true coach to come in and attempt to turn it around.

Reply #394051 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, surely you're not serious...

This is year 3 of Marty's reign and there are still so many questions regarding his coaching ability. It's been three years and it still doesn't look as though Marty and the coaching staff have developed an "identity" for which to build the team around. Look at top teams in the NBA and you notice they have an identity. Miami have the big 3 with spacers. OKC is run and gun, the Lakers are trying to bring back showtime etc. With this team I really don't get how he has "built" the team, especially considering that the majority of this roster were signed this season, despite Marty saying he needed a three year plan to build it. In addition, the team on set plays look as disjointed now as they did when he first started coaching here. How often do we see the shot clock down to 5 seconds with the ball way up the top of the arc not far from the half way line because Marty's set play didn't work? Combine that with his questionable roster moves at times and he really is a sitting duck. This roster that the 6ers have should be challenging for a title, and they can't even beat the bottom side at home.

Reply #394052 | Report this post

Quincy  
Years ago

How tall did the Sixers say Scott was??
Shook hands with Clarke .....i think hes 6.1 not 6.3 as described.I will wonder around before Sixers game and try and get height check.Another Marty stuffup.
We just wait and see what he has before commenting ,someone posted that he is a Ben Madgen type player,wait and see.

Reply #394055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Clarke era has been so poor, devoid of emotion and boring that I can honestly say that I would leave a 36ers game happy even if we lost if I saw the coach show some emotion, bench and tell DJ off when he blew a defensive assignment and get a tech for arguing with a call!!

Fire the team up! The boys come out of half time like they have had a nap and are still half asleep.

Reply #394056 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

#394056 - you are right ........... No real emotion over the Clarke era other than hate, resentment and disgust in how poor he has been as a coach. The owners keep throwing their money at him and we fans keep blindly supporting the team and this is repaid by the pathetic insipid excuse for a coach we have to endure. If the team doesn't implode during the off season, it will need a big effort to restore the fan's confidence. Pathetic Clarke. Why don't you do us all a favour and piss off back to Canberra and take your mate with you.

Reply #394057 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Weigh playing the 3 for 40 mins is ok. Gibbo is ok in the point. DJ is ok in the 4 or 5. Dont bitch about that as its not the problem! The core is there & lets see what happens. Hope marty can turn it round but it's not looking good! If he doesn't then i hope he moves on ok. He tried....

Reply #394059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He cant turn it around sadly because he is a one trick pony. Im not sure is said to these players that keep saying how much they love playing for him... but jesus they look uptight, havcent seen a 36er play with any enthusiasm or realxation since he's been there.... John Gilchrist was the last with a personality. Clarke and Radford are a cancer on this club.

Reply #394060 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh no, an import shorter than advertised. Sack Marty! They are all shorter than advertised!

Reply #394061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree they are all shorter when they get off the plane but if he is 6 foot or 6'1" it is certainly arguable it makes him even more unsuitable than first advertised. A 6'1" player is going to struggle to play the 2 and certainly the 3 at NBL level. Certainly on the defensive end.

If all we want is for him to play 10 minutes and stand in the corner for a few 3s then why not just give those minutes to Creek (we were looking for a replacement before Creek got injured) or now Daly?

Reply #394065 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

I saw him this morning and he seemed a little shorter than 6"3 but not by much, I'm around 6"3 and we were almost eye level.

Reply #394066 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I hope this doesn't turn into another "Sack Marty" thread

Reply #394067 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I agree with Marcus Camby, purely blaming the coach for all things wrong is unfair. Do I like agreeing with Marcus? No!

I find Marty's approach to the head coaching role frustrating, confusing and lacking flexibility. I get angry because he seems totally disinterested in engaging with the fanbase, but does he need to? probably not, its more a discretionary task than a core duty. So I don't like the coach because he doesn't pamper to my whims, however he does finally, have an exciting group that have the potential to win a championship, and he has the arrogance to believe he can deliver it.

Yes there are still short comings of individuals in the playing group and one or two players may not be around next season, and no, I don't think Marty's system can deliver one, however I hope we can keep this group together and in some way I think it would great for Marty to deliver that outcome (I have visions of Marty behind a microphone and stating "hoop posters...you were wrong" Mark Williams style).

Unlike previous seasons I believe the cattle is now there and it seems more a matter of tinkering than, unlike previous seasons, wholesale changes.

So can Scott Christopherson help with the tinkering? Boy I hope so because I'm tired of seeing players shipped in and then shipped out in the space of a season and not given much of a chance by the coach.

Reply #394071 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"Agree they are all shorter when they get off the plane but if he is 6 foot or 6'1" it is certainly arguable it makes him even more unsuitable than first advertised. A 6'1" player is going to struggle to play the 2 and certainly the 3 at NBL level. Certainly on the defensive end.
"
Yep. Hawks are really struggling. Hawks have played all three guards a little since Davo went down. But never let the facts get in the way of a good Sixers bagging.

Reply #394078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah. Hawks have a good coach. What is your point?

Reply #394081 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Chewy316, I take your point that the results aren't there right now @ Year 3. However, you bring up a good point, identity. You want the team to have an identity, yet how do you propose to build an identity with the roster @ Year 1 & 2?

If one were to be honest, those first 2 years were a rebuilding phase, where :

- Marty was getting a feel of being a Head Coach @ NBL level.
- Where young talent was being developed (and it has with Weigh, DJ and to an extent Creek).
- Where the right pieces were being placed together.

As you have noted, this is the first year this team has the pieces to challenge, I ask you, HOW do you expect any coach bring in an identity in 11 Rounds?

Bevo did not have an identity for the Cats @ Round 11 in their Championship year.

As with a lot of teams with big changes, it takes time to gel no matter what the chatter suggests.

What I fear is the fans have Miami Heat - Superfriends or Boston Celtics - Boston Three Party'esque expectations.

Scenarios like this are a RARITY! Most teams cannot turn it around like they do.

What I see on this forum is often very disrespectful, demeaning and generally counter-productive.

I feel embarassed for the 6er team when Gibbo is interviewed and has to say (to the effect of) the team is unified despite social media and online BS.

Marty is blamed for EVERYTHING.

- Plays that don't work out, all on Marty. I refer to the last play @ the last 6ers game, DJ was supposed to shoot the ball, NOT try to fake out 2 guards (when he is 6'10). Yet Marty is at fault.

- Import revolving door. Please have a look around the whole league and see just how many imports stay more than one season. I think Lisch and Gruber (is Gruber still an import?) would have the longest tenure @ 3 - 4 years. SYD, MEL, TSV, CRN, ADL, NZB, WOL and PER ALL HAVE 1 or more new imports...guess what I just named all 8 teams in the league. Do people cry out 'Sack Lemanis' when Wilkinson left? Diamon Simpson went to the NBA ffs.

- Someone on here just blamed Marty for the new import being shorter than advertised. I don't think there is one coach in the NBL that would keep their jobs if they were to be fired for such a crime.

I am not saying Marty is perfect and faultless in this situation. I too scratch my head @ the rotations, but does that automatically mean he is useless?

I think if one were to step back from all the negative emotion, one would see that Marty is not getting the same courtesies other teams / fan bases give their coaches.

Reply #394083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way you get apples with apples though Marcus is if you put say Marty Clarke in Perth and let him lead them effectively to 3 wooden spoons in a row. If their management and fans supported him in unison for those three years then fair enough, Adelaide fans are worse than Perth fans.

Take Wollongong as example. Budget team for the last few years yet have over achieved in my opinion. Why would the fans in Wollongong take to social media to bag Geordie.

NZ are defending champs. Why would their fans attack Lemanis? Same re Bevo, Heal is probably coach of the year at this stage.

Anstey and Woolpert are getting criticised but it is Anstey's first season and his playing record is probably coming into play to silence the critics.

The Clarke bashing for the most part is deserved. If you don't agree then that is fine and your freedom of choice. Just as it is others freedom
of choice to say they are of the opinion he is not a good head coach.

Reply #394084 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"Yeah. Hawks have a good coach. What is your point?"

try reading. My point was to refute what another anon clown posted, stating that 6'1" players are going to struggle playing the two in the NBL. Just gave him an example of where players of that height or less are not struggling.
Where did I mention anything about "good coach".

Oh sorry. Forgot that facts hold little relevance here.

Reply #394088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FSTOS, we already have a few 6'1" NBL capable guards. Guys named Gibson, Cadee, Crosswell and Daly. Have you heard of them? That is the point of criticising the latest signing.

But don't let facts get in the way of whatever point you are 'trying' to make.

No one ever said that a 6'1" guard couldn't survive in the NBL at the 2 guard.

If we signed a 7 footer I would have asked the same question given we have Schenscher, DJ and Petrie.

Reply #394090 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

You are quite right Marcus, Marty isn't to blame for everything. But things he can own:
The alienation of the fanbase.
His W-L record, the worst in the league during his time in the game, and comfortably the worst in Adelaide's storied history.
A good 75% of the vitriol directed at him. The rest is pure hate.
The fact that his team are boring and uninspiring to watch.

I hope you don't think that we want the team to fail. None of us do, but most of us are simply not willing to wait a decade for him to learn how to be a head coach of a professional team. I think if could poll the owners and those who decided to contract him for three years you would probably find that there would be unanimous agreement that that decision was a complete mistake.

He is not improving, not in any way. We are a game or so in front of the same time last year because we picked up a Boomer and another starter when the Blaze fell over. So I suppose if Perth drop out of the league this offseason then we'll have a chance at the playoffs next year.

Reply #394092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutley, agree 100 percent.

If we didn't get rid of Claxton then we wouldn't have signed Darnell, Brooks, etc and won back to back championships.

Was that a bad decision?

Should have we given Claxton another two years?

The cost would have been 2 championships.

Reply #394094 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

As a general rule, facts hold very little relevance on this site. The casual observers who call themselves posters just say things for the sake of getting words on a screen. There are so many phony justifications and the comments are mostly shit and the polar opposite of thought provoking. Also, there is absolutely no way to change someone's mind on this site.

It's some kind of mindset people have on here that they are always right. So for those who are actually trying to get a point across on here, forget it. Your comment just drowns in the sea of crap in every thread. Most of the crap is from anonymous posters for that matter. That's another thing, f*** anonymous posters annoy the shit out of not just me, but pretty much everyone else who frequents the site.

Reply #394095 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'084...

Taking your example of Wollongong...last year they had a disastrous year, bad imports, bad defence, low team morale.

Now it could be said that WOL supporters are also used to success (having made the GF 2 years prior), why didn't they turn on Geordie last year?

NZ fans were also unhappy with NZ's progress in Lemanis' early years, yet they stuck with him. It paid off. Woolpert was copping flak at the start of the year, few suggested his time @ TSV was up but nothing like the weekly Witch Hunts here.

I respect others' freedom to disrespect / dislike / hate Clarke, it happens.

However, I'd like to highlight the folly of doing so.

I refer you to the many posts where fans are hoping for Sixer losses (like against TSV) so as to be a catalyst for Clarke's axing.

Do you think such posts are helpful?

Reply #394098 | Report this post

Spursfan, everyone here is anonymous, including you. The difference is that you are hiding behind an alias, whereas others are not. Using an alias doesn't give you any more credibility due to the fact that there are no registration requirements here so we can use as many aliases as we like.

See, my alias is not my real name.

Reply #394103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said MCC.

The stupidity of anonymous posters posting under names like 'Dave', 'Marcus Camby', 'SpursFan' etc and then whinging about anon posters is truly staggering.

99% of the posters on here are anonymous.

Reply #394108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it just my opinion but is 'Spursfan' the biggest tool that regularly posts on here? If only the rest of the world knew as much as 'Spursfan' about the game of basketball..

Reply #394115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spursfan if only you knew who some of these anons were.

What a joke you are mate. Your shit stinks just like everyone else.

It is a passionate fanbase. There are positives and negatives attached to this passion, but the facts are the club has underachieved under the current coaching reigme and there doesn't seem to be any indications that this will change anytime soon.

Reply #394117 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

You can be passionate and reasonable / logical.

Last I checked they were not mutually exclusive.

Weekly 'Sack Marty', 'Marty Sux', 'Goodbye Marty' threads != Reason / Logic.

Reply #394120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby = Marty

Reply #394123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus you ignore a lot of the logic in the posts mate and just read selectively.

Reply #394126 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'126..

That's a bit rought isn't it?

I've tried to address each point with a counter.

If by selective reading, you mean I will ignore Weigh = Love Child posts, then yes guilty.

Reply #394128 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camby's Cheque, those using an alias maintain something of a reputation, whether it's glowing or not. That tends to discourage poor quality posts. Note: tends.

I am leaning towards removing anonymous posting in the next few weeks.

Reply #394129 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Would my posts be any more or less legitimate if I were a registered user?

Reply #394130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope you don't Isaac, some of us post as anons for a reason

Reply #394134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nothing stopping you using an alias or registering an account through an aliased email.

Reply #394136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they dont reply to one of your emails, Isaac then your alias gets changed to something derogatory hence why I'll never register an account on here again.

Reply #394137 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I am leaning towards removing anonymous posting in the next few weeks.

^ good idea. I get over reading threads where 70% are Anon posts. Makes it easier to distinguish between posters, heck BJ Anthony could be posting on here and I'd have no idea ;)

Reply #394142 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'137, that's the spirit.

Reply #394145 | Report this post

balls  
Years ago

d

Reply #394222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything iv'e read about him is good shooter average defender. Marty has just come out and said smart and hard defender. Maybe thats why marty doesn't talk to the media, he has no idea.

Reply #394236 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

But why is Clarke saying he won't start? Bring a new player in from the other side of the planet to sit on the pine?

Reply #394241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact Marty says Scott is going to sit on the bench is the most promising sign that the bloke is a gun.

It is the Marty way.

Reply #394243 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Spinner, perhaps because Cadee probably has an a agreement from Clarke that he will always start. Regardless, of how Weigh or Cadee play they will always start.

Reply #394245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes not even playing this weekend WTF?

Reply #394313 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

Yea, no import tonight....bugger.....

http://www.nbl.com.au/teams/36ers/news/article/article/2012/december/christopherson-not-suiting-up-tonight/

Not too much of a surprise considering the time of year they're trying to get the paper work through.

Gonna be a tough one tonight.

Reply #394315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably a good thing he's not playing, would have got smashed out there tonight and we wouldn't have heard the end of it.

Reply #394316 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Good how in the article he is quoted as sayin that he is "looking forward to playing in front of his new home crowd". Too bad that dipshit will only give home a few minutes off the bench per game and then blame him for the team missing the finals yet again. I can't wait for the end of the 3 year plan of failure to finally be over.

Reply #394317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754