Isaac
Years ago

Round 20 NBL Player of the Week is Redhage

17/6/4 against Melbourne and then 23/2/4 against Sydney. 2-0 round with one game at home, one on the road.

Madgen had 28ish in a loss.

Loughton had 24/5/2 in a win.

Coenraad had 28ish in a loss.

Petrie had 26 or so in an exciting win.

Was thinking Petrie personally.

NBL's verdict:

The veteran of more than 250 NBL games helped the Wildcats extend their unbeaten run to five, then six games, with 17 points and six rebounds in just 20 minutes in Thursday night's 78-58 win over the Tigers.

This was followed up on Sunday by 23 points on 7-of-13 shooting in the 97-71 road win over the Kings.

It was a round of high-quality performances, with Kings’ star Ben Madgen dropping 28 points on 11-of-16 shooting in the loss to Perth, while Tim Coenraad also had 28 points (9-of-13FG and 4-of-5 3FG) in the Hawks 91-90 home loss to Adelaide.

Anthony Petrie (26 points and eight rebounds) and Adam Gibson (21 points and five assists) were standouts in the 36ers road win, while Alex Loughton (24 points on 5-of-7 3FG) and Jamar Wilson (15 points, 10 rebounds and five assists) excelled in Cairns’ 78-75 win over Townsville.

Topic #30958 | Report this topic

Cats82  
Years ago

Back to his best!! Great to see him back playing the way we no!!

Reply #406616 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

POTW has lost all relevance and importance for me some time ago

Redhage had 20 / 4/ 4 for the weekend his averages this season are 14/5/3 so he actually got less rebounds over the 2 games than his average yet is deemed to be POTW worthy

Perth also beat 2 teams that they should have beaten , both below them on the ladder.

Coenraad was a career game and kept the game alive solely on the back of his hand in the 3rd

Petrie was also outstanding and the big 3 far more important that round than any other play.

Reply #406618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good choice, hard pair of games to face, the 4 games, 10 days thing is pretty intense and he really led the way. Given the time frame he had to do it in and the amount of competition for spotlight he had from his teammates, it looks like a good option.

Reply #406635 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What a croc of crap! Redhage did not deserve that POTW. Biggest overrated player in the league! Coenraad should of got it for sure!

Reply #406638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loughton? Team down 15ish in the third, scores 22 points in the second half to pretty much single handed bring them back into the game then they win by 3 after a Gliddon triple.
Would have chose him over Redhage or Conraad. Petrie would be up there with Loughton though.

Reply #406642 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Loughton - season high
Petrie - season high ( possible career high?)
Coenraad - Season high and most likely career high
Wilson - season high 10 rebounds ( from a PG)
Madgen - how many others have scored 28 points in a game this season esp on 11/16 shooting ( Ervin 1 x 28 and 1 x 29, Jackson 1 x 28 and 1 x 32, Deleon 28,32,34 , Peter Crawford 1 x 30 ) from what i can find

Nothing really outstanding about Redhage's weekend in comparison - he has more points , rebounds and assists in a truck load of other games this season.

Reply #406645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although, arguably, Redhage wasn't even the Cat's best; Martin had a better collar on that spot for the Wildcats simply through maintaining the same insane D but throwing in a whole bunch of points and assists to boot.

Reply #406651 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't see the logic in determining that someone is less eligible to win POTW because he played to his normal standard, compared to a guy that had a career game? Its for the best player of the round, not the most improved.
I'm not saying Redhage was a definite winner (I think Marto was more influential to the result in both games) and it could have easily gone to Petrie or Loughton, but just because a guy had his season or career high, it doesn't put them to the top of the list.

Reply #406668 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Damien Martin should have got it.

Reply #406670 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

@situation
my argument is more than that

The players i highlighted had statistically better performances than the winner

Those same players also played at a peak level better than what the winner did.

Redhage played an acceptable - to be expected standard, that in totality across the league was nothing special in particular. And for that he was rewarded

I too would have picked Martin for being Perth's best of the weekend.

It would be great if the league adopted a statistical based approach to the award as opposed to what seems to be a lucky dip

Reply #406678 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-veteran-shawn-redhage-claims-player-of-the-week-award/story-fndekszl-1226585966630?sv=563281a888155c7d897c0e52f2d819c2#.USxKe9I_5Fk.twitter

Reply #406695 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Damo should have won..

His D has as much influence as Redhage's points.

I am sure Damo does't even care.

Reply #406718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should do away with the POW and only have a player of the month award

Reply #406724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754