BALLER#3
Years ago

OKC - No respect

Ridiculous what they are doing right now, hacking Asik. Poor form.

Topic #31544 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the playoffs. As long as it's legal, no problem.

Reply #416456 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Isnt it supposed to be an entertaining league? This is not entertaining, i dont love watching 6 minutes of free throws...

Reply #416458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is about winning, plain and simple

Reply #416460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win.

Not everything is justified of course, but if a guy can't shoot free throws, don't put him on a basketball court, or expect the consequences.

If it looks ugly, the only fault is the guy who can't shoot.

Reply #416462 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Even if a guy shoots 50% from the line, whats the difference between that and a team shooting 50% from the field... Over a long period like that it was obviously going to even out. Terrible strategy from an immature team

Reply #416467 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Protips from BALLER#3.

Reply #416470 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Scott Brooks had to do something to stop the best SG in the league - James Harden

Reply #416471 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

We have been over this before folks...

If the officials see it as deliberate and flagrant they can call it and after he shoots his frees they get the ball back!

If they disguise it well enough, obviously they will get away with it, but the officials would be well and truly aware of this by now, so what is the NBA saying to them, to the fans and to the players??

There is an answer and it lies with the officiating IMO...

Reply #416472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear: Might wanna re-read the NBA rule book chief.....

Reply #416477 | Report this post

Baller#3. I'll bite. There is a huge difference. By fouling the guy lets say he ends up shooting 50% the same percentage as the rest of the team. By not fouling him, a big is going to score 70 - 90 % from a few feet from the ring. I might be a bit odd but I would much rather a team shoot 50% against me than 70, 80 or 90%. I agree, it makes it a sh&t spectacle but greatly increases your chances of winning!!

Reply #416486 | Report this post

I'm more disappointed with them playing the game while i'm at work to be honest. now if you could do something about that...!!!

Reply #416489 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Anonymous, thanks for the post.

The NBA have their own rule book do they, gosh I thought basketball was an international game, silly me, I had no idea...?

I'll try to google that NBA rule book and have a go at finding the applicable clause.

Much appreciated, chief (sorry that would be indian, apparently I am the chief)!!

Reply #416492 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, thanks to Anonymous I had a look online for something that may explain the ruling and found this under NBA Rules:

Section IV--Flagrant Foul

a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty (1) will be assessed.

A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended.

(2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, the opposing coach will select any player from the bench to attempt the free throws.

(3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. (EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e.)

(4) The injured player may not return to the game.

(5) A player will be ejected if he commits two flagrant fouls in the same game.

b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpret-ed to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty

(2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended.

(2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, his coach will select a substitute and any player from the team is eligible to attempt the free throws.

(3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court.

EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e.

(4) The injured player may return to the game at any time after the free throws are attempted.

(5) This is an unsports-manlike act and the offender is ejected.

c. A flagrant foul may be assessed whether the ball is dead or alive.

Seems quite clear to me...

Reply #416504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA rules can be found at NBA.com............shouldnt be too hard for you to find

Reply #416505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden isn't even top 5 sg in the league. I'd have joe Johnson over harden.

Watch harden in game 6 - 18pts 10 turnovers in a loss at home

Reply #416515 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, just for fun thought I'd check the official FIBA Rules while I was at it:-

Art. 36 Unsportsmanlike foul
36.1 Definition
36.1.1 An unsportsmanlike foul is a player contact foul which, in the judgement of an official, is not a legitimate attempt to directly play the ball within the spirit and intent of the rules.

36.1.2 The official must interpret the unsportsmanlike fouls consistently throughout the game and to judge only the action.

36.1.3 To judge whether a foul is unsportsmanlike, the officials should apply the following principles:
• If a player is making no effort to play the ball and contact occurs, it is an unsportsmanlike foul.
• If a player, in an effort to play the ball, causes excessive contact (hard foul), it is an unsportsmanlike foul.
• If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents' basket, it is an unsportsmanlike foul.
• If a player commits a foul while making a legitimate effort to play the ball (normal play), it is not an unsportsmanlike foul.

36.2 Penalty

36.2.1 An unsportsmanlike foul shall be charged against the offender.

36.2.2 Free throw(s) shall be awarded to the player who was fouled, followed by:
• A throw-in at the centre line extended, opposite the scorer’s table.
• A jump ball in the centre circle to begin the first period.
The number of free throws shall be awarded as follows:
• If the foul is committed on a player not in the act of shooting: two (2) free throws.
• If the foul is committed on a player in the act of shooting: the goal, if made, shall count and, in addition, one (1) free throw.
• If the foul is committed on a player in the act of shooting and the goal is not made: two (2) or three (3) free throws.

36.2.3 A player shall be disqualified when he is charged with two (2) unsportsmanlike fouls.

36.2.4 If a player is disqualified under Art.

36.2.3, that unsportsmanlike foul shall be the only foul to be penalised and no additional penalty for the disqualification shall be administered.

So, once again it seems pretty clear that if the game is officiated correctly (anywhere), we have no problems with this kind of defensive play, do we...?

Reply #416519 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Oi prisoner, if he was getting it right next to ring but they were just intentionally fouling him while he was walking up the court, still even in the back court

Reply #416520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, since when do the NBA follow FIBA rules?
The courts a different size, 3 point line different, travel rule is different, and the intentional foul rule is DEFINITELY different. Watch a couple of the games where Hack a Shaq or Dwight is in effect. They foul off the ball, with no intention of a steal or anything. The ref calls the foul and they walk down and take free throws. I dont believe there is an intentional foul rule in the NBA, only a flagrant foul which is for undue roughness and nothing to do with being 'unsportsmanlike'.

Reply #416526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when did Bear say they did?

Reply #416529 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

Man I was watching that game and it really was ridiculous to watch. From about 7 minutes out.

What they did might have been 'legal', up to the two minute mark after which they get one shot and the ball back, plus they can pick any player to shoot the foul shot, but it did nothing for the game.

This is a league where spectators/the spectacle is very important (hence no zone rule, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA changing the hack'a'shaq, hack'a'howard, hack'a'asik, rule change...

Reply #416532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As stated above there is no unsportsmanlike foul in the NBA and their definition of "unnecessary" is heavy/severe contact. Thus going and grabbing a dude is a normal foul. Shit to watch but nothing more than a common foul until the 2 min mark.

Reply #416537 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

to me, that is a way of saying, we are searching for answers...

what is even stupid-er is the crap the Knicks players were talking before game 5 today! How does their coach not tell them to STFU!?

Reply #416539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BALLER#3 - if the guy is shooting 50% from the line he scores 5 points out of 10 shots
if he is shooting 50% from the field he scores 10 points out of 10 shots plus the chance of fouling and giving him a foul shot as well

Reply #416547 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

If Asik keeps shooting at over 70% like he did today that will certainly stop the practice faster than anything else. McHale would be pretty happy getting 7 points from every 5 trips down the court and it even gives Harden & Parsons a minutes rest each time!

Reply #416548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

547, if he's shooting one free throw per possession, yes.

If he's shooting two free throws, then the ten shots he would have taken from the field equals twenty free throws, not ten.

Basic Mathematics 101.

Reply #416558 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

So pissed off at Durant. Put a bet on him to score over 36 points in the game. Of course he doesn't score a single point in the final quarter...

In all seriousness, who else thinks he should have imposed his will more in the last quarter? It was as though he didn't even care about my bet at all.

Reply #416564 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Good strategy; the guy is a professional basketball player, at a minimum he should be able to hit 70%. He did today but history shows he won't keep that up. When he doesn't his coach has to make a decision as to whether to keep him in the game or not, exactly what you want. I don't see why opposition coaches get so riled up about this

Reply #416567 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I find entertainment from Hack-a-crap freethrow shooter, particularly when Spurs did it to DeAndre Jordan. Players have to hit their free throws!

Reply #416588 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Bear: So I guess all the referees are continuing to make a mistake on these calls?

Maybe you should run a rules seminar for the referees in the NBA. Obviously they are not up to scratch!

Reply #416608 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks for the offer brother, but I'm good...

It is a matter of interpretation, as it has always been and probably will be.

Anyone can make a case or arguement that 'unecessary contact on or off the ball' can be called as flagrant or unsportsmanlike...

Just seems that the officiating is subjective on this topic, and this is my opinion, right or wrong I don't really care what others think as everyone has their own opinion, don't they?

By the way, you see that call made outside the key don't you? Seems like different interpretations of the same rule at different points on the court, IMO!

All I am saying is that the NBA have to decide if they want this to continue or not, I think the rule is there, it is their interpretation of it and how it is officiated...

Stay Cool, Man!!

Reply #416615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Royce Webb:

The players were following orders: Stop the game because we don't like how it's going; don't compete on the floor because you're not good enough to win this playoff home game against the No. 8 seed; do not try for steals and blocks and stops; let's keep our own crowd out of the game; let's not get out and run and try to come back with the second-best player in the world doing what he does best; let's not play basketball for a while because the Rockets are better at basketball on this night.

Reply #416812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754