Moneyballer
Years ago

36ers vs Taipans, Oct 25

I think it will be a tight game with my Sixers winning by 3 in OT Johnson to have 25 and 10.

Topic #32932 | Report this topic

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Tough streach for the 36ers, should be a good test for them aswell playing 4 games in as many days. They would not wana come back 0 and 3. Think tiapans at home, all depends on the outside shooting, tipans have a big front court to match up with 36ers hoping for a good game though

Reply #441582 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

ADL 105 - CNS 101
J.Frye 19points. S.Weigh 2points.

Reply #441585 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns by 3.....as long as Triggers foot is ok !

Reply #441586 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The competition is VERY tight and so away games like these are the ones that premiership winning teams win on the road.

Jamar Wilson / Gary Ervin - what an exciting tussle that will be!
Former Mt Isa Boy Stevie Weigh has returned to FNQ and after a shocker in game 1 will be looking to sink the Sixers, but will he try too hard?
After snaring Rookie of the year, this season is shaping up to be Gliddon's magnum opus with a sizzling performance in game 2.

Loughton and Tragagh will be dangerous as always.

I was impressed with how the Sixers got things done last game. The first half was a bit of a loosener upper, but the second half was when they shone. Frye was the star and he was very slick. The different playing style from last year will surprise the Taipans. My only criticism would be that I would have liked to see Teys brought into the game a bit more just in case the Sixers had foul troubles.

The key may be in the new reffing approach which is producing a lot of higher scoring games as it favours the offense. The grippy holding defensive styles have gone out the door! It will take some time to get used to and the talls seem to be the fall guys. We saw a lot of fouls called in the Perth/NZB game and the team who is more aggressive in attacking the basket will be the winner tonight. The coaches may be using a bit of marker pen drawing up more aggressive offensive plays, which will only be more exciting for fans.

I think the Sixers may be faster in transition. Does anyone have any +/- stats on Gibbo Cadee Creek Frye Johnson combo? (Gibbo might be the weak link in that 5 on transition...)

My tip. Hang onto your hat. This should be within 2 shots for most of the last quarter and won't be a case of winning, but who loses a play.

Wright > Fearne. Sixers by 2.

Reply #441588 | Report this post

Baller108  
Years ago

Is this Not live on TV anywhere tonight?

Reply #441637 | Report this post

Baller108  
Years ago

Or at least delayed?

Reply #441640 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I thought it would be, only Friday night game? Schedule says it is on OneHD

Reply #441641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should be delayed on OneHD (21:30 in Adelaide), plus on NBL.TV.

Reply #441643 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'm hoping for 2 things out of tonight. A 36ers win, and for Mitch Creek to show up Stephen Weigh (ok, 3 things, I hope if he does show him up that Marty Clarke and the garden gnome are watching the game on TV).

Last season we might have come out of this road trip 0-3, but this year we're a good chance of at least coming out of it 2-1, possibly 3-0.

Reply #441652 | Report this post

Northern Brew  
Years ago

Gliddon out for the Taipans, big blow there.

Reply #441669 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

That will make it a very, very tricky operation for the Taipans to get out of this with the W. Trigger and Gliddon are *big* weapons.

Reply #441671 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

I no see game on iPad. Where game go?

Reply #441672 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Now I see game. No hear but see.

Reply #441673 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Can anyone explain the reason for blacking out the game on PC when it's on One but not on mobile devices? What is the purpose of blacking one device but not others? I assume there is a reason, I've just not been able to guess.

Reply #441674 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

The quality of the feed is borderline unwatchable on the iPad.

Reply #441677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

29-15 Cairns up at the quarter time break.

Reply #441678 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm watching on my IPad & it's fine
Every now & then I have to hit pause & play but generally it's better on my iPad than PC

Sixers shooting is poor

Reply #441679 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyone know why creek benched for first q & half

Reply #441681 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Cairns are legit

Reply #441682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

creek has 2 fouls in 27 seconds court time so I would assume that's why

Reply #441683 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

@Anon, that's weird but glad it's working for you. It's a close encounter of the blurred kind for me.

Reply #441685 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Big come back
16 down in the 2nd Adelaide now up by a point at half time

Reply #441686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide win by 3. Can the commentators get any dumber. They didn't even know the rules at the end when a foul was called after a shot. The guy didn't know if cairns had any time outs left with 2 seconds left. These guys get paid?

Reply #441689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, it's on TV, try harder and you will find it. Nice pressure three by Gibson on the buzzer. Enjoyable game now it is close, but Taipans have dropped off their game.

Reply #441690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delayed on HD!

Reply #441691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought JVG's commentary was good actually.

I was impressed by Cairns, but even more by Adelaide. Very even spread of scorers with all starters in double figures, plus fought back from a deficit twice. FT shooting was an issue, but they won regardless. Gliddon out, but Cairns were at home. I think this is the sort of win that the 36ers of old wouldn't have grabbed and will be a real confidence boost.

Even when they were down by 16 or so, you could see that they still had confidence and were united. Seems like a good group and Wright is a refreshing change as coach.

Reply #441692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SPOILER anyone

Reply #441693 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good point Isaac, Sixers beaming with confidence this season.

Reply #441695 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Spoiler? If your watching the delay why would you click on to this post?

Answer = because your stupid

Re the game, sixers never look concerned when down and are composed

Re commentary, jug was good & carf too

Rules never the strong point for commentators

Reply #441698 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry JVG not jug

Reply #441699 | Report this post

Up the creek  
Years ago

But he had his paddle
Two big tripples by Mitch yet Weigh could not find the bottom of the net

Creek > Weigh ( more complete player )

Thoughts?

Reply #441701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My favourite part:
Stephen Weigh going 0/10 in 22 mins :)

Reply #441704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cracking game and well reffed too. Thoroughly enjoyed, a lot of good players on both teams.

Reply #441706 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, good game for sure, one thing missing though, for me I would like to see the boys throw down a dunk or two in a game like that...

Reply #441708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Shame Steindl didnt finish his, that would have been nasty.

Reply #441709 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Cairns lose by 3 without Gliddon and Weigh going 0-10. I'd be upset with the loss but not concerned at this stage. They will still be thereabouts as will the 6ers. I think Creek needs to show who can do this sort of stuff on a regular basis before he can be called anything close to a "complete player". The biggest problem for Creek is getting the minutes as Frye will take a lot of the 3 spot time. Wouldn't get him as many "w"s but the Hawks would have been the place for him as Sav's heir apparent.
Looks like Joey has seen what we all have. DJ is a spud at the defensive end. I think his minutes will be reduced but Adelaide will benefit from this in the win column.

Reply #441710 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Confusing slightly unsatisfying game. Agree Sixers of past couple of years would have found ten ways to lose that, particularly with the unclutch free throw shooting. That has to be one of Ervin's poorest games? Just seemed out of it. DJ, similarly, but worse.

Reply #441714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have been a solid win! Leaving 15 points at the fouls line is pretty unacceptable.

But they did was was needed to win, and fuck me but how about Stevie weigh? What a dud, glad creek took it too him tonight and showed the nbl that Marty Clarke was a twat and creek is worth his weight in gold purely based on energy!

Ervin will come back, bit of an odd night for a superstar like him!

Reply #441717 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In fairness 6 assists was useful. But otherwise a real shocker for him.

Reply #441718 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good win but the worry was our first and third quarters with only 15 and 10 points respectively. Good thing we scored 30 and 32 in the second and last. But as they said in commentary on One, the game went in quarters. Theirs, ours, theirs and finally ours.

Mitch was our hightst scorer with 14, but we had 6 players (Gibbo, Ervin, Frye, Peach, DJ & Mitch) in double figures, Big Red not far off on 8 points.

Jason Cadee had a poor night for him. 11:59 court time, only took one shot (a three) which he missed, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 2 turnovers. Ervin too had an off night, but he did get it going in the last period.

Only 21/36 (58%) free throws.....15 points missed. We won the rebounds 38-35 and shot at 47% compared to Cairns 41%.

Overall it was a good win but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Bring on the Tigers on Sunday. Pity that game isn't on Ten, that's Perth @ Sydney.

Reply #441721 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

very impressed with Joey's coaching.

After working out our bigs could not score easily then he worked offences for others.

also impressed with his subbing, and the different groups of players he put out there to do different jobs at different times.

so great having a real good match coach to watch.

Reply #441725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The impressive thing is Mitch's development as the Number 6 guy to Question Mark ? starting line-up.

Steven Weigh could have blazed with glory for his new team yet blazed in every other fashion to score 2 free throws for the game. Disappointing for him, great for us with 0/10 from field and that missed 3 which won it for us.

The question mark also looms with the game against Melbourne on Sunday, returning home then flying out to NZ, then flying home for a horror stretch of 4 games inside 9 days. Id hope with a win against Melbourne, then if NZ is a loss, then hey...., 2 out of 3 aint bad. Even 2-2 is good, 1 away win and one home win (Sydney).

Guess will find out soon

Reply #441731 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Sounds like NBA schedule. Good to get these quick turn arounds early in the season and nothing like a tournament like schedule to get a team gelling......great to see the boys calling each other and expecting more. Completely different mind set so I have faith they will get there in time....No set 5 either, Hallelujah !!!!! So freshing to see who is needed used when needed.... Go Joey, Go Sixers....... Bring it boys......

Reply #441739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game Sixers, well coached by Joey. In the last qtr when the game was tied he subbed on DJ who in the first possession on the court lost his man on a back door cut to put us down by 2, next play down the court DJ throws a wild shot that just hits the backboard then Cairns go down and score. Joey called time and after 20 seconds on the floor DJ was told to sit for the rest of the game. Marty would never do that, he would've called time then ran a play for DJ next possession.

That's the "game time coaching" that Clarke was so poor at.

Thank fu@k for a clever coach!

6ers 11+ Sunday get on it.

Reply #441747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Front runners, we will see you will soon tun on him if it gets tough!!

Reply #441750 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"next play down the court DJ throws a wild shot that just hits the backboard"

I glad someone commented on that. I thought that was a very pedestrian, sloppy shot at a time when the game was there to be one and needed someone to stand up.

Reply #441754 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

won, not one!

Reply #441758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't get on Weigh, he only left because he is not a piss head and did not want to be around it.

Reply #441761 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

That stretch was typical DJ. No D, chucking up shit shots hoping to be bailed out. Glad to see his arse sit down, he's a cancer if your goal is to win. Lucky he got that call when it was 83 to 79.

Despite the fact that the current 36ers team does have a number of pissheads which is a concern it doesn't excuse the fact that Weigh has always been overrated. Can't create his own shot, is a poor decision maker and is weak in the low block when he has a miss match. Glad to see the back of him. As a 6th/7th man off the bench he's a great pick-up, but for his role and price tag he's a waste of time.

Reply #441764 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Does anyone have any proof of these "pissheads"?

Reply #441775 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Cairns actually looking alright. Both teams will be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Picking up road games like that is going to be absolutely vital given the evenness of the league.

Ervin hasn't really discovered his form from the previous stints just yet but he will be fine. Frye looked smooth. Anthony is going to have to play some minutes this year i think. Actually prefer the balance of him and Schenscher together.

What is everyone's problem with Weigh ? Super nice guy, solid team man. Just needs a serious confidence boost i think or he could risk being one of those guys that never quite lives up to his potential. Good luck to him.

Reply #441780 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Cairns have really smart tough hardworking bigs,
so Cairns are always going to be a tough gig for DJ and Luke.
Tough also for our point guards.

But when their wing defenders are guys like Stevie Weigh, you know its going to be party time for Mitch Creek and Jarrid Frye.

Reply #441781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know if Gliddon was playing Creek would never have got those two open threes? That's all Cairns were missing last night, a perimeter defender. Game wouldn't have got back within 10 points if they had Gliddon playing.

Reply #441786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson, Mitch creek, Anthony, cadee they all love the drink!

Reply #441787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was out and around Creek once while he was injured. Don't think he even touched alcohol - seems pretty disciplined with his approach to me.

They all look a lot more united on court under Wright than they ever did under Marty.

Reply #441788 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Great to get the win but a very worrying game that it could have been so easily lost in the last 19 seconds. How we could let Cairns score so prolifically in that short stretch of time is beyond me. The last 2 seconds with Cairns making the 3 point shot could have seen this game go the other way in overtime. The missed free throws were extremely worrying. Could have had another 15 points on the scoreboard and won the game comfortably. This seriously needs to be addressed as games like this one in the future will see its fair share of losses. You can't get lucky all the time on such close games.

Reply #441790 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would be surprised if Creek hit the alcohol in a big way during the season (could be wrong), considering he is into his PT and pretty fit. Also they have to log their nutrition and have tests so if they were off the wagon it would show up pretty quickly.

Just because those guys have a life and go to nightclubs doesn't mean they get on the turps.

Reply #441796 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think last night showed the difference between Joey Wright's coaching, and that we got served up by Marty Clarke.

DJ was off his game last night. I'm a fan of DJ and I think he can be one of the dominant bigs in the NBL, but when he's off his game he has a bad habit of putting up silly shots (usually hoping to draw a foul), while his D, which has improved a bit, becomes non-existent. Joey saw this and quite rightly benched him using Schenscher, Peach and Anthony as our bigs. Clarke would have kept him and other non-performers (such as his golden child Stephen Weigh) on the court while others who might have helped us win cooled their heels on the bench.

I wouldn't say any of the 36ers were 'hot' last night (maybe Mitch Creek was), but Joey wright is no dummy and he had our best performers on the court when the game was on the line. A far cry from what we've had to put up with in the past few seasons.

Reply #441798 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Jack mate, plenty of PT guys hit the piss massively hard but Creek is not one of them.

FYI, anon above has no idea.

Reply #441799 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm sure they do! Creeky would know how to party, but I think he is pretty goal orientated.

Reply #441800 | Report this post

Roger Murdoch  
Years ago

Steven Weigh's worst crime was marty clarke loved him. No doubt he didnt perform as we expected or wanted particularly offensively but i dont think you could question the guys effort. dont get why people want to stick the boot in.

The sixers foul shooting will cost us games this year for sure.

The way the ref's are calling the games this year is less frustrting and the games are a far better spectacle

Reply #441803 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

@ Roger Murdoch, the big problem with Stephen Weigh was that he didn't really justify the court time Clarke gifted him. And part of that was effort. A lot of the time he was out there doing next-to-nothing while others who were performing were getting subbed in and out with frequency (or just left on the bench). Most of his stats seemed to come in 'junk time' in the final period when a game was (usually) already lost. When it mattered he often went missing, when it didn't matter he suddenly came alive.

2011-12 - 28 games, 31+ mins per game. 11.4 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.8 assists.
2012-13 - 28 games, 32+ mpg, 11.6 pts, 3.6 rebs, 4.9 ass.

With those minutes he should have done more than he did. I've got no doubt he has the talent to be a leading SF in the NBL, but it seems he doesn't have the on-court work ethic at this stage.

Reply #441805 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Correction to Weigh's 2012-13 stats I posted above.

32+ mpg, 10.6 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.5 apg

The stats I originally gave belonged to Adam Gibson.

Reply #441807 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Watching S.Weigh 'play' , it just struck me
kinda funny.
JVG let fly with a wisecrack , that he liked seeing Weigh on court, and so did I.

J.Frye good second qtr, but injured a leg on that last play of the second, when he passed to Gibson.
Let's hope he's OK .

Reply #441808 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

While I made the pisshead comment let me clarify - no way is Creek one of them. That anon has no idea. Totally unfair on the bloke.

Reply #441814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shame Steindl didnt finish his, that would have been nasty."

That's like every game in the NBL re: dunks. Shoulda woulda coulda.

Reply #441817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754