Isaac
Years ago

NBL locks in semi-finals dates

The National Basketball League grand finalists for 2014 will be decided in a fresh new format over six days in four cities.

Two semi-final series will be played simultaneously, with all games to be televised on free-to-air by the NBL's broadcast partner Network TEN. Subscribers will also be able to tune in on NBL.tv.

In a major boost for fans, the first two games of each semi-final series will be broadcast live nationally into all markets. Game 2 will be played as a live double-header nationally on TEN and ONE.

The first semi-final series will commence on Thursday, March 27 with the Adelaide 36ers hosting the Melbourne Tigers. The second semi-final series will begin the following evening in Perth with the Wildcats taking on either Sydney or Wollongong.
Full schedule on the NBL site

Topic #34002 | Report this topic

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

On the web site games 1 ain't the same?

Reply #463652 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

My bad!

Reply #463653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a 6:15 game on a Tuesday (Perth) is a bit stupid, I think it will be a struggle for a lot of people to get there on time!

Reply #463657 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Why they couldn't have finalised the dates earlier is beyond me, but still, that's the NBL.

Personally, I don't like having two games on the same night. It essentially means that if you are attending one, you wont be able to see the other live. Perhaps its being driven by TV rather than whats in best interests of fans

Reply #463659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why they couldn't have finalised the dates earlier is beyond me, but still, that's the NBL.
Can't lock in venues until you know who's playing. And one series would impact the other depending on whether you wanted to alternate nights or go with double-headers of back to back games.

Personally, I don't like having two games on the same night. It essentially means that if you are attending one, you wont be able to see the other live.
Someone attending Tigers-36ers should be home to catch a second half of Hawks-Cats or Kings-Cats. I imagine it's done so they can run from one broadcast into the other.

Only likely to be an issue if someone takes Perth to three games!

Reply #463663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that every game during the final round of Soccer in England is played at the same time, in order to stop teams 'controlling' who they are playing in finals.

Obviously the 2nd game of the basketball finals is on at the same time (and everyone in the finals has the same goal of trying to win the championship), but it may have something to do with teams tactics of trying to play against an easier option..

Reply #463667 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So if I've read it right the first two games of each series are being shown live? I had heard whispers Ten were actually starting to like the product more now that they were being produced better but didnt really believe it, maybe there is some truth to it.

Hopefully they promote the finals series hard and it rates ok. Could lead into better coverage next season if those same rumours hold water.

Reply #463671 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Can't lock in venues until you know who's playing."
They knew just as much a week ago as they do now, and they still don't know who's playing.

The info the Wildcats sent out actually has the wrong dates as the only outcome.

Reply #463672 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

" Perhaps its being driven by TV rather than whats in best interests of fans"

Looking at the bigger picture, if TV is determining that they will show two live semi-final games back to back, that IS in the best interests of fans.

Reply #463677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice. Love TV double headers.

Reply #463684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not going rate, up against Rich/Carl and Hawks/Ess is it??

Reply #464408 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754