Hoops Mad
Years ago

How Successful Is Aussie Hoops

I was involved with Aussie Hoops when it was first introduced in SA, that was 5 or 6 years ago now. Out of curiousity, how important is it to your club? Has it generated any extra kids into the club?

Topic #3478 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

depends on the club - seems to be a few kids participating - but team levels seem a small amount higher in u10s than 5 years ago

so i would say - ok
depends how you are gaging success

numbers onto district - ok - not flash
kids participating - big success
- maybe they are playing school ball or something if no district

Reply #40217 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

I really dont think the program success can be Measured on how many kids have gone on to play district .............

Any Program that can put a Basketball in the kids hands can be nothing but a good thing ... I still remeber having a coaching clinic with the sixers .. It's something u dont forget...
And generally builds intrest in the game ... which may have turned to footy... Basketball cant Rely on tv to advertise the game to kids like football can it's crucial that Aussie hoops can continue getting young kids invovled in basketball even if i gets kids to go to an NBL game or Ultimatley get them to play at a district level .. the fact kids are out there playing basketball is a success in it's self

Reply #40442 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

The jump between kids in Aussie hoops and district 10's is a big one, historically the program has not added big numbers to clubs. However, I walked into Pasadena friday night just before 6 and there were about 25 under 10 kids training with Sturts 10 "1" coach, i asked around and found out these were city south kids, they also have another 25 or so training Sunday morning for the district trainings.
This Friday night session runs straight after Aussie Hoops. Makes sence to me Aussie Hoops, Domestic then District. Has Forestville got a similar thing going? The other really impressive thing was the four U16/18 div 1/2 assistant coaches

Reply #40453 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Yes, we do. We also have our two Under 10 City South teams train on Friday afternoons (at the same time as Aussie Hoops), to ease the transition from Aussie Hoops to domestic teams. The domestic competition in turn eases the transition to district basketball (for those that want to take that path).

This setup seems to be working well for both Forestville and Sturt. We find that many of our Aussie Hoops participants are keen to take the next step, but are not (yet, or ever) interested in playing district basketball. Domestic competitions provide the opportunity of an organised competition with good coaching, without the travel, cost or commmitment of district basketball.

Reply #40474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754