HO
Years ago

CBL/BigV team numbers

Got a facebook news item today with a video about the upcoming CBL season.

The video says the league has 51 teams this season.

Now I don't know a lot about this league, I know it used to the Country Basketball Conference and not a lot else. It seems to be growing quite quickly?

But 51 teams, when people are having lots to say about the BigV being uncontrollably big?

Is it good the CBL has this many teams? Is it not an issue because it runs at a completely different time? Is it compounding the issues with referees across Victoria? Does it threaten BigV - where does it sit now and in the future in the landscape?

Be good to have a discussion without bashing BigV....

Topic #38058 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

CBL in Victoria has its own place, so it isn't a threat to the Big V, especially as the seasons are apposite.

It has always been zoned, in conferences if you like, so there are teams across Victoria playing in what is loosely their own area, such as South West, North East etc...

The CBL is almost the sole State level league, that I am ware of anyway, that is run during the summer outside of any tournaments, so it has a slight monopoly and should it grow in numbers it would support those players coming out of juniors and there are plenty of them.

Is it outgrowing the number of officials, or other supporting mechanisms, not sure, but one would hope BVC could get the referees right if they are allowing the competition to explode...

Reply #551595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CBL is popular because it allows country areas to keep a sporting activity going over summer, its a really short season, played by both men and women, unlike big cities country towns find it hard to fill teams when they have to share the sporting population with football and netball.

Reply #551601 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

CBL is fantastic as it is country towns something to get behind and support. Great to see it doing so well.

They are doing what the Big V was originally set up for back in the late 80's a couple of name changes ago.

Now Big V is pretty much just a metropolitan melbourne competition with very few country teams.

Reply #551610 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

^^ thanks anon, that is interesting.

Is it your experience that country footballers and netballers are actually playing CBL over summer or is this just your idea of how it should work?

Reply #551623 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Warrnambool x3
Mildura x3
Shepparton x2
Northwest x2
Latrobe City x2
Southern Peninsula x3
Ballarat x2
Bendigo x2
Geelong x4
Corio Bay x4

Reply #551629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not really a big follower of the CBL.. who are some of the better players running around in the league?

Reply #551659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it your experience that country footballers and netballers are actually playing CBL over summer or is this just your idea of how it should work?

Yes you will find the these country teams will be filled with players who play over the winter months football /netball, plus some who play bigV/SEABL, plus juniors

Reply #551665 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

^ thanks

really interesting.

Reply #551670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shep only have 1 team

Reply #551697 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon#629, where did you arrive at that list and is it your prediction for how many CBL teams will come from each country Association?

If so, I have never seen 8 CBL teams out of CB and Geelong, those players now go to Colac and play from there for the most part, CB has moved from CBL to Big V and Geelong havn't played CBL for quite a number of years...

Reply #551714 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

From the web site: CBL Men's team 2015/2016

Gippsland Conference

Korumburra Wildcats
Traralgon T-Birds
Churchill Blue Devils
Warragul Warriors
Moe Metoers
Westernport Steelers
Bairnsdale Bullets
Maffra Eagles

North East Conference

Seymour Blasters
Castlemaine Cannons
Bendigo Braves
Wodonga Wolves
Shepparton Gators
Wallan Panthers
Maryborough Blazers
Echuca Pirates
Wangaratta Warriors

South West Conference

Terang Tornadoes
Warrnambool Seahawks
Timboon Taipans
Stawell Wildcats
Colac Kookas
Horsham Hornets
Portland Coasters
Mt Gambier lakers

Reply #551716 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, as can be seen in my previous post^, including the Women's teams it is a very popular and vibrant competition of country basketball...

If you like to travel around the beautifull Victorian countryside and watch some decent basketball, it certainly offers everyone an alternative to cricket!

I am not sure how many teams there were last year, however I am guessing similar to this were entered as the team names are familiar.

Reply #551717 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I think Anon was listing BigV teams Bear. Missed WesternPort

Reply #551719 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Roger...

Reply #551730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shepp have 2 teams in CBL.

Womens team is made up of players not quite good or committed enough for Big V and some who come home from Uni over the summer.

Mens team is a development team for their Big V season.

Reply #551737 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

Isn't Mt Gambier in SA?

Reply #551798 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It used to be Nix, they moved it a few months back.

Reply #551803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny^

Reply #551811 | Report this post

Spark Interact  
Years ago

Funny!

Reply #568636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754