mystro
Years ago

R3: Kings vs Breakers at NSEC, Oct 21

The Sydney Kings (1 & 2) head into the NSEC Wednesday night to face the NZ Breakers (1 & 3).
NZ had a spanking from the Hawks in round 2 as did Sydney and then the Breakers lost a narrow one to Perth while the Kings also dropped a close one with a loss to Townsville.

Corey Webster's return will be a huge boost for the Breakers and he'll be full of confidence.
Question marks still surround Alex Pledgers feet after some discomfort and Mika Vukona's calf injury. Alex Pledgers size and defensive abilities would be pretty handy to try and negate Julian Khazzouh's offensive influence.
Charles Jackson showed some promising signs defending Perth's Front Court but unfortunately Julian Khazzouh's skill set in the paint presents a whole different bunch of issues that he may not be ready to deal with. If he can it will go a long way towards winning the game for the Breakers.

NZ will badly want to win this game on their beautiful home court if they want to have any hope of resurrecting their season.

NZ by 7 for me.

Topic #38246 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be Breakers last time they started 1-4 they missed the playoffs.

Reply #556573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like J Chill got through a session today, I'd expect him to play some minutes.

Reply #556574 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Very very impressed with Charles Jackson on Nate. I think he'll handle Khazzhou in the post, but hard to stop him hitting 3's. Khazzhou might be MVP this year.

Reply #556601 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Any update on Childress playing? With a game against Adelaide on Friday I imagine they will rest him until that game which is just Adelaide's luck.

Reply #556627 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Charles Jackson is quite athletic. Might be able to cover Khazzouh OK.

Reply #556628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will hit the court with a little more swagger and confidence with the return of Webster and they'll take this one.

Reply #556641 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Breakers by 10. Webster will help Jackson etc. Could be close if Childress plays. Any word on whether Garlepp is playing or not as Heal said in the commentary his wife is due soon?

Reply #556643 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just quietly, would like to see Brandt get more minutes...

Reply #556646 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I haven't really been impressed with Khazzouh's start. His performance really cos there Kings against the Crocs, I figured with Childress out he would really take control and make everything run though him. If he can stay on the court Kings will match up ok, but think Breakers get this one at home, starting to settle, knowing help is on the way!

Reply #556657 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Got money on the Kings @ $3.60 I'm betting they will bounce back against an ordinary Breakers team. Webster may make them good, we will soon find out.

Reply #556658 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"I'm betting they will bounce back against an ordinary Breakers team."

Their performances have been ordinary to date due to injuries, NBA trials and a general lack of effort but to call them ordinary is a bit harsh Andy.

Reply #556707 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Apparently no Childress tonight. Hoping it's close, but if Webster isn't jet-lagged it's going to be a tough ask for the Kings.

Reply #556709 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If no Childress then Breakers should win comfortably.

What about Garlepp?

Reply #556720 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

OMG mystro are you trying to start something over nothing! Of course my comment is based on their performances. What else would it be based on? Maybe their ability to scramble eggs while blindfolded and running backwards...geez.

Reply #556730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is talking about it being a tough league and some idiots are talking toughest ever.
Look at the odds for this weeks round. Toughest league my arse.
Cairns aren't that good, Kings status quo,Adel who knows now. Perth and Melb strong. Crocs poor despite a few unexpected as many would say wins.
Breakers very questionable. Surely Webster isn't the Childress of the Breakers?

Reply #556732 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no, I most definitely don't want any serious internet beef, I'm good thanks Andy.......

Reply #556735 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, technically Andy's comment was incorrect because it wasn’t *this* Breakers team who has been ordinary to date. They were fairly impressive against Perth last week, while they were missing Vukona, and of course Webster against the Hawks.

A Breakers team with Vukona and Webster is a totally different beast to one without them. So technically, saying that this Breakers team has been ordinary is completely untrue.

Reply #556738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV has to be GWBs new account

Reply #556740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV no Vukona and Webster makes their statement completely true.
Until both return it will be the case as well.

Reply #556741 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ anon 732,

Yeah, and look at the odds in the previous rounds. They don't mean a thing. We have the majority of our best non-NBA players playing in the league, a couple of the highest profile imports of all time, and just 8 teams. I stand by the 'toughest NBL season ever' comments.

Reply #556743 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I guess the didn't have time to update the starting line-up overlay with Webster's name...

Reply #556744 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure about Cadee matching up on Cedric Jackson....

Reply #556746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word of the day; Pretty

Reply #556754 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Better D from the Kings, but woeful on the other end. Offense is much too predictable, just a lot of passing around the perimeter with very little going on inside until a wild drive and bad pass or shot.

Reply #556755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV is not GWB. GWB is back under a different name, though easy enough to pick.

Early fouls for Charles Jackson. Wishing I'd got a line bet on the Breakers.

Reply #556758 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

God, our inbounding...............................

Reply #556759 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Lol I know who GWB is hahahahaha, very easy to pick....

Reply #556760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to say it. How bad is Thornton.

Reply #556763 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thornton actually looks good when he takes it to the basket (apart from that break into traffic). I'd rather him attack then shoot those awkward hitched-motion jumpers.

Reply #556764 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Way too many turnovers from NZ, careless passes keeping Sydney in it. Credit to Cadee and Khazzouh and the odd burst from Thornton

Reply #556766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah get blocked by Vukona playing on one leg and not making a simple layup, he's awesome.

Reply #556767 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Anon, well, it was an open dunk and Vukona fouled him, so not sure of the criticism there. Don't remember which simple layup you are talking about, either. Unless you are confusing Prewster and Thornton, in which case, yes.

Reply #556768 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lucky to be in it. Garlepp's 4 rebounds seems OK, but I'd love to see a 'offensive rebounds against' stat on him today. If he's not putting the ball in the basket, he isn't doing us much good.

Reply #556769 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I always forget this rule, but Khazzouh won the opening tip and put it out of bounds, I thought that means that Kings start the 2nd half because NZ got 1st possession.

Reply #556772 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A couple of questions for my bro's over the ditch, if I can please?

1. How old is that stadium, the one with the parquetry floor and average lighting and what looks like tape partially removed on the edges of the wings?

2. Any chance the government over there will build you guys a newby?

PS. Thornton would be a much better player if he remembered he has team mates out there!

#Openyourbloodyeyesmanandpasstheball

Reply #556776 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@AngusH: It means the Kings get the ball to start the second quarter, not the second half. Assuming no jump ball situations during the first quarter.

Reply #556777 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ah, duh. Thanks. :)

Reply #556778 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Kings have one of the best post players in the league and they continue jacking up poor shots, way to go guys...

Can't believe this game is still close!

Reply #556781 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

While it's true, these 3s are missing so damn cruelly... in and out.

Reply #556782 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The floor is the best....

Reply #556785 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Really boring game. Tough to watch.

Bear, not anytime soon. The Trusts Stadium is actually a nice reasonably new stadium (ANZ championship games look great there). But it's out west away from the North Shore and not practical location wise.

Government is using money to sort out the horrific traffic problem which is probably the worst in the developed world. Can't blame them for that

Reply #556786 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well Mystro, I would hope after so many wins there would be some emotional attraction, I can see how you guys wouldn't mind playing on bitumen if it meant beating the Aussies, I get that!

But, knowing how these types of surfaces behave I am surprised that the new NBL chiefs wouldn't be pushing for an improvement to what looks like playing in the lounge room on the TV...

Could you do me a favour and just get them to turn the dimmer switch off next time, please?

Reply #556787 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No boxing out, piss poor shooting, and too many missed opportunities off steals. We have like 16 steals, and probably about 6 points off turnovers.

Reply #556788 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@MACDUB, yes I get how hard it must be and where the money needs to go is more important than sport, and while I am not 100% serious I also hope down the track you guys can at least get a new surface in that shed, it would make a big difference I reckon...

Reply #556790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow that was hard to watch.

Markovic has been a disaster. Never thought he was a winner and it's easy to see why he was benched in Townsville last season. And now he's our starting point guard. Another quality pickup by Tim 'gee thanks Dad' Hudson.

This is a leaderless, rudderless ship. Three point guards and not one is a decent floor leader. Good point guards will pick this team apart, Childress or not. And aside from that, Garlepp has done nothing but hurt this team all season. Cotter should bench him.

Reply #556795 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Fully agree. It looks horrible. But it's also dangerous especially later in summer with the crazy humidity. Crazy slippery.

I find games at NSEC really hard to watch for some reason.

Reply #556796 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Anon is right on Markovic - he was even worse today and is looking like a real goose egg of a signing. 0 points, 0 assists in 20 minutes and stats don't even tell the story of how little penetration or direction the bloke offered.

Cadee is good sometimes but very streaky and today was another off day.

Thornton doesn't look like an NBA second rounder at the moment. 0 3 pointers today and on D he just stands around.

All in all having 3 guards play together a lot ain't working for the Kings.

Even with Childress back, they will need to do better or another season will go to pot before they even make it out to Homebush.

Reply #556808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach always decides what offense to run with the players available. Right now the perimeter players are all playing out of position.

Offense is all over the place as cotter isn't utilizing the strengths of his players.

I'm sure a coach like Gordie Mcloud or with similar experience would figure out what to do....

Kings look terrible on offense AND defense.

Reply #556824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello. Markovic and Hudson.
Caddee and Hudson.
Khazoough and Hudson. JK has a game.

Reply #556825 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

To be honest NZ were just as terrible as Sydney tonight. If the 10 Sydney shots had dropped that were half way down and somehow jumped out they probably would have won against a very ordinary yes ordinary Breakers team.

Reply #556879 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ's turn overs kept Sydney it it. Sydney are currently below ordinary and without Childress look like they will be keeping Townsville company for some time.

Reply #556880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luckily for breakers chill didn't play

Offensive execution just awful.

On ball screens all they seem to have. Not often u score low 70s and get the win

Reply #556882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Below average court, below average game and below average double header last night, hope it picks up!

Reply #556884 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thornton seems to be getting better every game.

Khazzough has got to stay out of foul trouble.

Sydney need to start hitting outside shots. They will struggle to win games if they keep shooting the percentages they have in their last two games.

I wouldn't write them off just yet though- they're only 4 games into a 28 game season and have the league's best player to return.

Reply #556893 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ had like 25 turnovers and played pretty horrible and never looked like letting it slip.
How many layups did Sydney miss and then the amount of offensive rebounds they gave up would give Cotter an early heart attack?
Agreed that they will look much better with the addition of arguably the best player in the league in Josh Childress but until then they have some effort issues to address.

Reply #556913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

All I can say is that was two hours I won't get back. If not for Abercrombie's play, and some brilliance by Jackson and Webster mixed in with some really poor moments by them, it would have been a complete waste.

Still, if you're the Breakers you're just happy with the win, there will always be ugly games and you much prefer to win them than lose!

If you're Sydney, you double check Josh Childress' return date and perhaps remind your players two-point baskets are handy too! Three games in a row they've fired and fired and fired and missed from deep.

Reply #556941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Paul and if you were due to play a game in NZ you would want to practice staying on your feet at your local ice skating rink as a pre-game routine!

Reply #556946 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! Yes indeed. Surely they could put a case to the local council for funding for a new floor given how many people use the venue for social basketball as well as higher level?

Reply #556951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more I watch the Kings, the more I wonder what the hell is cotter saying in the change room and in timeouts because based on the way their are playing at the moment, I have to say they are not listening to cotter. They lack direction and floor leadership and that should start from the coach.

They looked horrible last night!!

Fingers cross Childress is back for 36ers game. If not the losing streak will continue!

Reply #556964 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Come back Shane, all is forgiven.

Reply #557022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But "it's the best season ever". Crap.
Childress will play.

Reply #557027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane? No thanks. Stick to Fox and the WNBL.

Reply #557037 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Thornton has been disgraceful have him on your team and your team will do worse.

I would almost Say Kendrick was just as good as Marcus has been this year.

It is a joke we just keep hoisting 3's. Carter, Cadee, Thornton everyone so many 3 Point Shots.

I would be inclined to play the twin towers in Brandt and JK together and play Tommy Garlepp at the 3 and give him more touches around the elbow and baseline.

Let Thornton come of the bench and give us sow good minutes against backups.

Move Childress to the 4 when he is back and bring Angus of the bench.

Reply #557222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754