Dazz
Years ago

What to do about racist fans?

There is a "family" of "racists" behind me at the Arena.
And it's giving the shits.

They are exceptionally loud and vocal. I am often loud and vocal, and have been known to heckle a dubious ref call, and I certainly threw a few choice words at Conklin.
All in good fun, so I try to be tolerant of their loud and mouthy ways.

But it's the racial undertones that I am finding irritating.
The Jackson's were referred to as "baa baa black-sheeps." Now referring to the Breakers in that way is somewhat humorous, they are dressed in black and they are from NZ. But they singled out the two AA players on the team.
They also have colourful names for OUR tanned players. They refer to Jawai as "Green Mile," Prather as "Monkey" and something else for Beal.

I think what makes it worse is that they will yell these out whilst our players are shooting FT's at our end.

It doesn't sound like much, but it is really irritating on the night.

Topic #38566 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell security

Reply #567327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't doubt that there can be "funny" nicknames made between friends that aren't intended to be racist but if they are screaming it out then this isn't acceptable.

Reply #567328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You tube it and let the world do the rest !!!!

Reply #567329 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So you post about but dont just go straight to security or the club. Not much help ranting about these pigs on here.

Reply #567331 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

What I would suggest is call PA or the Wildcats and ask for the name of the Manager, tell them what is going on and ask for their number.

If at quarter time next game they are still at it, call the manager to come witness it himself/herself.

If they are calling African Americans or indigenous Australians monkeys then that is a very serious matter.

Reply #567343 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dob them in. No space for racists.

Record the sound. Show security perth arena

Reply #567346 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Give management the relevant seat numbers and they will probably arrange some surveillance for a couple of games and deal with it if it recurs. If that doesn't work, take a stand and tell security next time it happens, as others have suggested. Approaching them directly may be risky. You never know what those sorts of pinheads will do when they're in a group.

Reply #567351 | Report this post

too True  
Years ago

gree totally with PeterJohn above

Reply #567359 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Tell the club.

Reply #567361 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

A message comes up on the screen every home game, if you see bad behaviour text and it gives you a number. That behaviour shouldn't be tolerated, do something about it next game, it quicker doing that then waiting a couple of days and coming on a forum.

Reply #567365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And their is a very good reason that text number comes up, that number goes direct to the security viewing room, who then send security to the section you are texting about and they will deal with it, those responsible don't even know who sobbed on them

Reply #567368 | Report this post

Port  
Years ago

Yep, definitely tell security (or use that text number discussed above, although I haven't attended a game in a long, long time, so haven't seen that yet).

Reply #567373 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As we say in Victoria...

"They're a different breed over there in Western Australia!"

Reply #567378 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(ie: That kind of behaviour wouldn't be tolerated here. If you aren't exaggerating, which I assume you aren't, then I’m flabbergasted that none of the surrounding fans dobbed them in or confronted them over it. It’s actually an indictment on all of you. You included, Dazz).

Reply #567379 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"(ie: That kind of behaviour wouldn't be tolerated here."

Good sir, have you seen my eyeballs anywhere? That was such an eye-rolling piece of wank that they have quite literally rolled out of their sockets!

Reply #567389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about all that tasteless booing of Adam Goodes in Melbourne. Was that tolerated there? How about the ape thing. The only reason that was taken care of is because Goodes himself heard it. Didn't see any fellow Collingwood fans racing to get her educated or punished. Victoria a racism-free utopia? Not buying it one bit LV. Isn't Sam Newman from Victoria?

Reply #567391 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Piece of wank" or not, what I said was correct.

If there was a family at a United game yelling out “Monkey” when Holt (or Warrick or Majok) shot free throws and regularly calling out racist comments, I can guarantee you they'd be told to STFU by surrounding fans and/or security would be called. ASAP.

The fact that Dazz even thinks an appropriate is going onto an internet forum to ask how to deal with it, and that such a response is even necessary, perhaps tells us something about the culture in Perth.

Reply #567392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know about Perth. You lose cred pretending Victoria is all love and hugs though.

Reply #567394 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I never said Victoria was a "racism free utopia" or “all love and hugs”.

But it'd be fair comment to say that this episode strongly suggests Perth is dragging the chain in this area. (Again, assuming Dazz hasn’t exaggerated the extent of this family’s behaviour).

Reply #567398 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqk-CLxrW6s <-- life outside Victoria

Reply #567399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth being feral and backwards is not news to anyone. Dazz thinks that calling a black player a monkey doesn't sound like much. That says it all.

Reply #567400 | Report this post

"As we say in Victoria...

"They're a different breed over there in Western Australia!""

What an idiotic thing to say. To pretend that these sorts of comments and reactions are unique to a certain part of the country is using a serious issue for some petty point scoring.

Reply #567401 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Agree about Perth being backwards and feral....and racism is completely unacceptable.

BUT

Calling Nate Jawai "the Green Mile" or "John Coffey" or similar is not racist. He is a dead ringer!! :)

They called him "Outback Shaq" in the NBA

Reply #567402 | Report this post

"Dazz thinks that calling a black player a monkey doesn't sound like much."

Where did Dazz say this? Some people aren't confrontational so they sit quietly. Its obvious Dazz doesn't condone it, hence the thread.

LV, stop being a knob. Racism exists all across the country and singling out one incident to highlight how one place has dropped the ball is bullshit. Maybe Dazz asked what to do because he has never heard it before, meanwhile you Victorians have got plans in place because its more prevalent over there.

Reply #567405 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chalmers- racism can be an issue anywhere and should be stamped out whenever and wherever it exists. But it's very unhelpful, not to mention disingenuous, to pretend that the problem exists to the same extent in all places. It’s fairly well known that Perth has an over population of knuckle draggers in this area. So it’s up to your good self and other fair minded residents of your city to help turn things around.

FWIW I’ve been attending sports matches in Victoria regularly for 20+ years- footy, basketball and a bit of cricket.

And I’ve never heard anything remotely close to, or even in the same league as this behaviour Dazz has described.

In about 2007, or 2008 when the Indians toured, someone at the G had a banner with a 7 eleven logo, captioned: "Supporting Indian cricket from every street corner". That’s the most racist thing I’ve ever heard and I’d suggest plenty of people probably find that in the grey area that lies between racism and fair humour.

I’m interested to hear thoughts from other forum users though- what are your experiences of racism and sport?

Reply #567406 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

PS: Chalmers I'm not sure who you were quoting but I didn't write what you quoted me on there (if you were quoting me). Cheers

Reply #567409 | Report this post

"It's fairly well known that Perth has an over population of knuckle draggers in this area. So it’s up to your good self and other fair minded residents of your city to help turn things around. "

Prove it.

Reply #567414 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Scientifically?

I can't, of course.

But we both know this story of Dazz's is pretty good anecdotal evidence. (again, assuming he has recounted it accurately)

Reply #567416 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

FWIW, I know an aboriginal recording artist who travels around Australia playing gigs in every part of the country, and he's definitely of this same view based on his personal experience and those of his friends and fans.

Reply #567417 | Report this post

I could post links to all those verbal racist attacks that occurred on public transport in Sydney and Melbourne in the last few years and use them as evidence that the problem is more apparent in the Eastern States. But I won't, because that would be a terrible way to try prove a point.

Reply #567422 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't mean this as a criticism on anyone though, because it’s completely understandable. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that places which are more multicultural and ethnically diverse (such as Melbourne and Sydney) are generally more tolerant, racially aware, culturally sensitive etc than a geographically isolated city like Perth which is statistically less diverse.

I’m suggesting that it’s up to people to change the culture. So Dazz, next time you hear those comments, please text the security number or politely tell them it’s unwelcome or tone it down. Good on you for raising the issue though.

Reply #567423 | Report this post

Remember that time that Perth hosted the Cronulla riots?

Reply #567425 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Funnily enough Chalmers, many of those incidents actually prove the point *I'm* making, because many of them have illustrated how others have reacted.

If I remember correctly there was an incident earlier in the year not too far from my neck of the woods. A young kid (or two?) was being racist and a guy confronted them over it. The guy who confronted them got a punch in the face, and that’s part of the reason it made the news.

What shocked me upon hearing Dazz’s story was the lack of reaction as much as the initial racism. If these guys are yelling all these things, and there’s a few of them ("Family") yelling it, and it’s happening continually, then there’s little to say other than WTF. Perth arena is always packed, yes? So how many people heard them? Why was nothing done? Honestly, it boggles my mind.

But again, I don’t mean it as a personal criticism- just do something next time. Text the number, speak to them. Something more than putting a comment on hoops.com.au.....

Reply #567426 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I mean why *has* nothing been done, not to put too fine a point on it. It's pretty clear that Dazz is talking about something that has been happening consistently. Not a once off.

Reply #567428 | Report this post

Because some people are non-confrontational. Maybe Dazz is, I don't know, but the issue has obviously impacted him enough to seek advice. I didn't know the Arena had a text alert system for unruly behaviour (like at the footy) and I go to every game.

You just told a story about someone intervening in a racism issue getting attacked, then say "WTF, why was nothing done?" about what Dazz heard in the next sentence

You're all over the shop in trying to make a point here.

Reply #567430 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The incident I was referring to took place on a train.

I don't necessarily recommend that course of action of confronting the perpetrator. It's circumstance dependent.

I dare say if I was at a basketball game I'd say something myself. But that doesn't mean I expect anyone to do the same. But my bigger question was why one of the 100, 200 odd people who must be hearing this consistently, have all consistently sat by and listened? That is concerning, no? Put all the other commentary aside for a second, I was legitimately shocked, and seriously can't imagine this even happening. Maybe I'm just naive and for whatever reason, in my 20 years of sports attendance I've been lucky enough to avoid these types of things? Not sure.

Anyway, if this thread is of to be of any practical use, Dazz could do any of the following (whatever he feels comfortable with)

1. Record on phone and send footage to the club later, along with accompanying seat number.
2. Quietly advise security or other staff and request they stand near by.
3. Tell them that it's uncalled for and offensive.

Or any combination of the above

Reply #567434 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Or 4. Text the anti social behaviour number (if there is one)

Reply #567435 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And with 1. Depending on how Dazz feels about these kinds of things, it's possible to record discretely- ie: Audio only- ie: pretend you're recording the game and just pick up audio. Then email to advise the Cats office of why actually said it. Seat number etc.

Reply #567440 | Report this post

too True  
Years ago

LV

"As we say in Victoria...

"They're a different breed over there in Western Australia!""

LOL -

GREAT troll !!! using the phase "different breed" to denigrate others, while claiming to personally condemn racism . BWAHHH !!!!! :)

I am in absolute AWE of either your painstaking ability to self-indulgently poke at the anthill of those lesser beings than yourself ( in your opinion) , or of your gob-smacking and Olympic-class lack of self awareness.

I thank the world for people like you, without them , so many more people would be below average.

Reply #567453 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I stand corrected, NSW and QLD are the most racist places in the country.

But I was right about one thing- Victoria is the most tolerant.

Apologies Perthies.

http://www.news.com.au/national/were-a-land-of-racists-survey-shows/story-e6frfkvr-1226010436251

Reply #567457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are plenty of idiots in Victoria

Reply #567459 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Go easy now. It's gotta be frustrating being awesome as a result of living in one geographical location in a country but seeing a whole group of others struggling so badly as a result of their location.
How to cope? Do you just mock them? Do you pity them? Do you try to offer the poor useless buggers a helping hand? It's sometimes tough to reach out to someone without coming off patronising when you're so far above them.

Reply #567460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV = troll

Reply #567462 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'll be honest Luuuc, It's not bad living in the world's most liveable city.

Reply #567465 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ps I'm no troll. I stand corrected by the evidence. I take back my comments- it appears Perth is not the racist backwater that I implied it is.

Reply #567466 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused to any thin skinned sandgropers.

Reply #567467 | Report this post

LV also believes that boys are strong, similar to movie monster King Kong, therefore girls are considerably weaker and should be thrown in to the nearest creek.

Reply #567470 | Report this post

You didn't cause any offence. You just made yourself look like an idiot by trying to prove a point based on no evidence, and citing "common knowledge" instead.

Reply #567471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll be honest Luuuc, It's not bad living in the world's most liveable city.
Ps I'm no troll.

Reply #567472 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's not a troll comment isaac, it was just a personal observation.

Reply #567474 | Report this post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Quality_of_Living_Survey

Reply #567476 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-18/melbourne-named-worlds-most-liveable-city-again/6705274

Reply #567481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We get it LV you love Melbourne lol

Reply #567482 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

PS: That Mercer survey must be some kind of satire? It places Sydney as the best place in Australia to live! I've been there about 10 times and I reckon I'd live almost anywhere else before Sydney.

Reply #567483 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

As an ex-Victorian I would say Victorians are NOT the most tolerant in the country. In fact, I'd say it's exactly the opposite.

Victorians, generally, have the biggest superiority complex of any of the states, and some of the worst racism I experienced was in that state.

Reply #567484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares LV

Reply #567488 | Report this post

LV, did you assess Sydney based on the same factors that the Mercer survey did? Probably not, as you've displayed here that your analysis on things tends to be just a thumb suck backed up with the POV of one other random person.

Reply #567489 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

LV - nice derailment of the thread.

Reply #567490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV lacks credibility.
Racism occours EVERYWHERE

Reply #567491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theyre from NZ after all, stop calling eachother out

Reply #567494 | Report this post

El Vee  
Years ago

Where I'm from is the best and therefore opinions to the contrary are intrinsically flawed and therefore not worth paying attention to. Opinions that differ from mine are difficult to process as they require an open mind. Meanwhile all this sand feels warm and snuggly around my head :)

Reply #567496 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's stop taking this too seriously Chalmers- we all know I called Melbourne the world’s most liveable city because the Economist labels it as such, and because it sounds better than "city with the 16th best quality of life according to the Mercer quality of life survey".

Specifically I’d cite housing affordability and traffic congestion as two huge deterrents from making Sydney a good place to be. But that’s just my opinion. If you like sitting in traffic jams and stressing over a huge mortgage, then Sydney might be right for you.

In the interests of preserving the discussion regarding the racist family at Perth arena, I’ll restrict my future comments in this thread to that topic.

Reply #567497 | Report this post

The Economist also ranked LV's mothers basement as the worlds most liveable.

Reply #567500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you should do LV is stop posting thankyou :)

Reply #567502 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Every single anonymous poster should stop posting anonymously.

Thank you :)

Reply #567503 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Go Wildcats btw.

Reply #567504 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think this thread is making Sydney a bit envious. I'm getting google ads for Sydney hotels.

Reply #567505 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

My reason for posting is two fold.
Firstly I wonder if I am being overly sensitive?
These people are really annoying. They seem to have no volume control, and are always making off-colour remarks. Eg referring to Wilbur (the Mascot) as "the Shaved Pussy."
They really annoy me, so I am trying to separate out the two issues. Ie I don't want to be over sensitive on the racism angle, just because they annoy the crap out of me.
So is calling Jawai "Green Mile" funny or racist?
It pisses me off that after he misses the first FT she will call out "oh come on Green Mile," but is it racist or just stupid?
She'll also call Beal "Chocolate" something or other. What makes me think of all this as racist, is that it is the 3 black players she has names for.
Excuse the pun, but its not black and white. If she called one of them a "N" or a "black #@$%"
I would literally tell her to shut the fuck up.
As I mentioned, calling the Breakers "Baa Baa Black Sheep" could be funny, except it was reserved for the two black players.

My second issue, is HOW to deal with it.
I tend to confront people when I'm angry. If that happens, it won't be pretty, and could just make the situation worse.
I have pretty much decided that I will report them to the Management, and just ask that they have a quiet word with them. I don't really like the idea of dobbing and feel a bit cowardly, but I also think its the best way to deal with it quietly and without escalating.

Reply #567650 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Dazz- putting the ambiguities of the "Green Mile" aside, it's clear that "Monkey" and "Black sheep" are racist.In anyone's book.

Don't feel cowardly. There is nothing cowardly about it at all! The cowards are the classless wankers who yell out offensive things at people who are just trying to do a job, win games and get paid.

Reply #567654 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Haha, I think somebody beat me to it.
Last night I wanted to double check exactly what seats they occupy.
Anyways, she was suspiciously quiet all night, before saying to her neighbour "you'd better watch what you say around here, apparently everything I say is racist."

But that didn't stop her saying that Ere's tattoos were "like sky-writing at night."

Anyway, an email to management is in the works.

Reply #569142 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754