Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v Taipans, Feb 7

Both teams have beaten Adeladie this round and now square up across the ditch to slug it out.

With the finish of the season tighter than a jar of pickles at grandma's house, this game is critical to the final positions.

Cairns (12/14) must win to keep their faint hopes of forcing a threeway with Adelaide (14/12) and New Zealand (13/12) alive. A win today, then Cairns play Townsville away aiming for a win for what would be a dream end to the season. A loss today and then Cairns have no hope of finals.

A win by NZ today means Adelaide must win the next two (away) games and hope NZ bomb against Melbourne to earn a place in the top 4.

I want to keep things interesting and I love three ways, so I'm going for Cairns to steal this game. I'm hoping Jackson and Webster have done all their scoring this round.

Go Cairns

Topic #38946 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ looked pretty good against Adelaide. They moved the ball around and found good shots and more importantly their defence was solid. I can't see Cairns giving NZ so many open shots like Adelaide did with their zone and going under the screens.

NZ to take this one at home for me.

Reply #576478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who goes through if its a three way tie??

Reply #576481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - most likely NZ take 4th if it's a 3-way tie.

Current splits are:

Adelaide 2-2 -2 points
Cairns 3-4 -18
NZ 4-3 +20

So Cairns have to win by 20+ points to take 4th. They need to win by at least 17 points to pass Adelaide.

Cairns have one win (against Adelaide over 3 months ago) and 11 losses on the road. Their average losing margin is 12.5 points.

NZ have 9 wins and 3 losses at home. Two of those losses were their January funk and the third was just before Christmas, against a red-hot Illawarra. I think the funk is over and I think Cairns are ice cold on the road, not red hot.

NZ to win.

Reply #576483 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Oops , ^ that was me

Reply #576484 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Not a given, but Breakers only need to play with the same confidence they played against Sixers earlier this week to claim this one. Cairns will make it tough though. Worthington is on fire and will try to dominate whoever tries to mark him. I don't think we have anyone who can handle his inside outside game.
Pledger and CJ should be factors but who knows which Webster will show. Either way I think Cairns will rely on an 80 point, half court set offence, get the ball inside and shoot 25 free throws, type game to have a chance.
Breakers start favourites but will b pushed.

Reply #576486 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

This gives the answer to a three-way tie (or any tie involving more than two teams):

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/r18-report-taipans-scrape-home-but-lose-sixers-series/

Reply #576487 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Cairns would have to play a lot better than they did against us to beat NZ. Everything is against them, travelling, shorter rest, NZ home crowd and they would have to shoot the lights out from the three and get that percentage up from 25% to around 55%

Most likely NZ will blow them well away.

An upset would be nice though!

Reply #576491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakers will crush the taipans

Reply #576496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You'd expect NZ to win this given Cairns' travel and a bit of confidence from Weds, but this season has been good at delivering the unexpected.

The Breakers are at their best when they can run out off defensive boards, Adelaide's quick shooting playing into their hands there, so if the Taipans can play controlled offence and have their d-trans set they'll be a real chance, as NZ's half-court offence hasn't been great of late.

Re the three-way tie-breaker, Cairns will go through if the teams are tied on 14 wins:

Cairns 5-3
Adelaide 4-4
New Zealand 3-5

Reply #576498 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gee the lighting is weak.

Hard to see what's happening on the tv!

Reply #576504 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wow, taipans are shooting the lights out.

Wortho with some nice moves! Lol

Reply #576506 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The ball does blend in with the floor at NSEC.
It's also blending in with the bottom of the net from Gliddon atm.

Reply #576507 | Report this post

Here we go again with the lazy disinterested shitful breakers

Reply #576509 | Report this post

Same shit every night with these dopes.. Just sit back and let the opposition run up a double digit lead..

Reply #576511 | Report this post

Cedric Jackson you fucking corpse

Reply #576512 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns are playing great. Shots are dropping and forcing NZ into tough shots.

Reply #576513 | Report this post

Breakers get back within four now watch them slip back into full dope mode

Reply #576515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn's mini league is wrong.

If Cairns win mini league is:

CNS 5-3
ADL 4-4
NZB 3-5

So Cairns go through if results go there way and everyone ends up at 14-14 after the last round.

Reply #576517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ no need for points differential as there is no ties in W-L records

Reply #576518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ and if Cairns lose today it doesn't matter because even though mini league W-L records are 4-4, 4-4, 4-4 they are eliminated as they can't get to 14-14.

Reply #576519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Oh and you're welcome.

Reply #576520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #576481 three way tie (14-14) = Cairns.

If Cairns lose then today then no three way tie anymore, it's only between Adelaide and NZ. NZ have the split.

Reply #576521 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Flop warning for Gliddon. OMFG!!

Reply #576525 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wortho. Lol!

Reply #576527 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Think our season is 8 mins away from being over. NZ won't lose from here.

Reply #576530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns LOL

Reply #576533 | Report this post

Breakers will doze off and open the door

Reply #576536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just say his name. ATH-LETE!"

haha nice

Reply #576538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingPodge still believes... because they have a lot of home games (rofl yeah let's not worry about stinking on the road).

Reply #576539 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

6ers stink

Reply #576540 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So the only away win Cairns had this year was on that ridiculous 3 Starks hit on the buzzer against us.

Reply #576541 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

You mean the one where DJ didn't get a hand up? Yeah that's the only one smh. Said it all along early season fails will cost teams in such a close comp!

Reply #576543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hendo yeah but KingPodge was never worried due to having a lot of home games. Umm yeah dude every team gets 14 each.

Reply #576544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO how bad are these NZ SKY commentators. Cairns lose yet they are still talking about a three way tie. How can Cairns tie with 12 wins and 1 game to go that equals 13 max with NZ & Adel already 14. HAHA OMG HOW EMBARRASSING resign your positions RIGHT NOW so fkcing amateur hour.

Reply #576545 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

KingPodge hasn't even posted in this thread mate. Not sure what your problem is.

Reply #576546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ Adelaide's "playoff spot" and its fans. So confident not long ago at being a lock for the playoffs. Really thought they had a team but really was a one man show all along. Ignorange is bliss (while it lasts).

Reply #576547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Err Hendo it is a reference to KingPodge's ridiculous statements being confident about making the playoffs "because home games". Wow sorry for referencing an ignorant comment made on this very website my apologies.

Reply #576548 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I looked him up. KingPodge has one post since October. This Anon troll is a special kind of stupid.

Reply #576549 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Interesting to see where Cairns goes from here. Lot of vets on that team - do they all come back?? Not sure of any injuries but Burston seemed to fall away a bit as the season went on and Tragardh and Loughton are shadows of what they once were.

Starks you'd think would go, Craig seemed to be a lot better starting - could be poached? Bruce has come along nicely though.

Is Fearne on a long-term arrangement up there? Could Gordie step up to the top role, or possibly leave?

Lot of questions..

Reply #576550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

really?

www.hoops.com.au/forum/profile/?u=king podge

you really are a special kind of dumb Hendo

Reply #576551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just heard ROFLcopter say: "Hendo. Lol"

Reply #576553 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Even that version of King Podge has 2 posts since December 4. One about blood pressure, one about having a Big Mac.
You really hold grudges hey?
Link me to the post that you're so hung up about.

Reply #576554 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers finding some form at the right time after playing terrible through january and almost throwing their season down the drain. The next two games against Melbourne will say a lot about NZ's title credentials despite probably not deserving to be in the conversation or play offs.

Reply #576558 | Report this post

red army  
Years ago

Wouldn't want to play the breakers in the first round, so I hope United can win one of the next two games and perth finish second.

Reply #576560 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha getting trolled without even commenting. I guess i'm kind of a big deal.

Anon, go take your meds and have a lie down....

Nice try Dave...

Reply #576561 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

#SpecialKindOfStupid

Reply #576562 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Breaks my heart as a 36er fan every time I see Torrey Craig play, they man does all sorts of things to keep his team in a game.

Reply #576563 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Kobe24 - he doesn't do alot of complaining either, some of the 36ers seem to spend more time complaining than worrying about what they are doing on the court.

Reply #576564 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yep very noticeable, plus he is comfortable coming off the bench. The man is a professional baller, wish we had him instead of a guy who gave us 4 games. Craig is a game breaker type with all the things he can offer imo.

Reply #576565 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

agree. I hope he's back here next season, he's only going to get better.

Reply #576566 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah at this point he is one of my favs to watch, so as long as he is in the league ill be happy!

Reply #576567 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol @6ers antagonists

Warms the heart!!

Reply #576568 | Report this post

So all this hype about Wortho....he joins a grand finalist from last season, and the following year they don't even make the playoffs.

Last season he was skipper of a stacked team that completely capitulated in the second half of the season.

Prior to that, he was very ordinary for a very average Melbourne team

A year or two before that, he was in a stacked Blaze team that didn't come close to its potential. Not sure if he was in the leadership group, or if they even had one, based on the off court issues they had.

Something isn't right here. Whether he continually makes bad decisions by signing with whoever is going to throw the most money at him, or he is actual cancerous to a team environment, or a combination of both, he's probably the most overrated player in the NBL in the past decade. It's great he puts up good numbers at times, but he's also a head case who can let his personal battles and vendettas get in the way of team success on any given night.

Reply #576575 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I think he was a 'anything you get out of him this season is a bonus type' at the Taipans, but agreed besides early success at stacked Kings team hasn't been known as a true winner. Been paid as such though ;)

Reply #576576 | Report this post

Well at least he's available to commentate the playoffs again...

Reply #576577 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anyone but Brad Rosen, painful the way he feels the need to explain every basketball phrase and rule, when the refs cant get the rules right themselves! Guess one thing Wortho would do is call it how he sees it, wouldn't be afraid to call out the refs.

Reply #576578 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wortho is a ham but who here can say they've guarded Kobe Bryant at the olympics.**
Total respect.

** notwithstanding Kobe hit like 25 points in 10 minutes of said guarding. Lol

Reply #576579 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Said it all along early season fails will cost teams in such a close comp!"

Rarely a truer word spoken.

Reply #576581 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Torrey Craig is signed to play for the Southland Sharks this season I believe in the NZNBL. Athletic multi faceted player who plays both ends well and as mentioned doesn't sook or mind doing as the coach asks even if it means coming off the bench.

Reply #576582 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's a super role player at NBL level. Seems like he's found a niche playing 9-odd months each year in Aus & NZ leagues, and I don't think too many are sad about that. How good were his blocks tonight?!

Reply #576583 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

His (Craig) never give up attitude is awesome, especially on that chase down block on Vukona.
Alex Pledger is playing himself into some form and will be valuable in the finals with Charles Jackson able to bring energy and enthusiasm off the bench for NZ.
Do you think Tai Wesley is in the discussion for 6th man of the year?
Tom Abercrombie apparently isn't a feared shooter, their must be some pretty brave teams in this league because he stuck a fair few daggers in the Sixers and Taipans.

Reply #576592 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! A commentator the other day said he wasn't known for his three-point shooter. Apparently he's had five 40% seasons in the NBL anonymously!

Pledger is looking great, diving to the hole like he did in 2012/13 when Jackson and Boucher just found him time and time again. His defence is probably more important though, such a big presence.

Reply #576594 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anyone else find Charles Jackson to be quite funny and humours with his excitement about any play? Its not a dig, he just makes me laugh with his goofy demeanour.

Reply #576596 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I like an import with some personality and energy ie: Gary Wilkinson. But yes he does come off as a little goofy but seems to have fitted into the playing group well and was one of the guys who played well through Jan.

Reply #576597 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah unlike Wilkinson though he doesn't rub me up the wrong way. not sure what it is, but I like his game from where he was at the start of the season.

Reply #576599 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He just kills any opponent who won't work as hard as he does, and then he rarely tries to do anything he's not capable of.

Reply #576600 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Wilkinson was a similar type to Petrie or Worthington. Rubs you the wrong way as an opposition supporter.
Jackson is just a fun character to watch. Not the most talented, doesn't really have much actual basketballing ability, but he just brings energy and effort to the game.

Reply #576602 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hey man, what have you got against talents like catching and dunking?!

Reply #576603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns needs to clean house. That much is obvious. Loughton, Tigger, Starks are all not going to form a core of a wining team .Not sure how long Worthington as signed for but he is another guy that is past it.

Reply #576607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24, I agree I've found Charles Jackson's goofy excitement quite refreshing. He seems happy to be playing basketball for a living and it's great to see that not the usual pouting or disinterested import.

Reply #576613 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Fearne's coaching today slipped back to old habits of benching players who were hot (TC and Gliddon).

Reply #576617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Superintendent Chalmers you are correct. A very clear trend with Wortho. IMO he was lucky to start his pro career under Goorjian who forced the best out of him. Which then gave him a good rep around the league but since then he has been suspect. For now though he seems to land on his feet on good money but for how much longer?

Reply #576725 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon you have no idea what kind of money any player is on. Your ASSumptions are wild speculation.

Reply #576787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money was good until at least the Blaze contract. Maybe Tigers/United. Forget the money/stop getting side tracked and address Chalmers' very good point. I've noticed the same about him wherever he has gone post Goorjian there is a trend downwards wise. Something isn't right. Yet you ignore that and just picked on the money issue. Hmmm.

Reply #576824 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

huh? you brought up the money issue.... I was suggesting, accurately, that you're knowledge of player salaries is tremendously lacking...... Unless you are Wortho and then I'd cede to your inside knowledge on the situation.

And remember correlation doesn't equal causation. Saying that Wortho's appearance at a club signals its demise over simplistic. You don't keep getting signed by clubs if you are an asshole to coach/play with.

Reply #576838 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I've noticed the same about him wherever he has gone post Goorjian there is a trend downwards wise."

Melbourne Tigers went from 12-16 and missing the playoffs to 15-13 and G3 of the SFs after Wortho arrived there.

Gold Coast had a down year with injuries after he arrived but then bounced back and took a very good Perth team to G3 in the SFs.

Reply #576844 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

paul with the fact bomb! boom!

Reply #576860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow 12-16 to scraping in at a measly 15-13 where in the SF Game 3 they gave up early and downed tools against the Sixers. Hint: another culture red flag right there. Boom with the fact bomb! Still deflecting away from the issue, podge.

Reply #577103 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

haha anon, the only thing being deflected are facts by your supercilious ignorance.. #HateHard

Reply #577106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754