Isaac
Years ago

Best Defensive Player: Kevin Lisch

Damian Martin always makes a case. AJ Ogilvy was probably a chance at various points.

Topic #39013 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Lisch is the type of player you would point your under 12s to and say "play like that". Very deserving winner with strong fundamentals.

Damo is a great defender but IMO pushes the boundaries too far and gets away with a lot of contact that should be called fouls.

Reply #578398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks were/are just an average defensive team. DRtg - 110.6

No one player really stood out on defense this year with Damo missing time.

I'd normally tend to go for a big Charles Jackson or Matt Knight in that circumstance.

Lisch works hard on D, although he isn't really a game changer on that end.

Reply #578405 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Lost a bet on double award winners of DPOTY and MVP in same season. Apparently there have been 2 before Lisch.
Leroy Loggins in 1987 and Chris Anstey in 2007.

Reply #578409 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

bowtie - there've been 3 previous MVP+DPotY winners before this season

Loggins - 1987 (joint MVP with Mark Davis)
MacKinnon - 2007
Anstey - 2008

Reply #578415 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Absolutely.Thanks for that.Apologies.
That is really something, winning that double.

Reply #578416 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Damo is still the superior defender, but the league took the opportunity of his missing so many games to give it to someone different, and I'm ok with that.

Reply #578419 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Damo is still the superior hacker, but the league took the opportunity of his missing so many games to give it to someone different, and I'm ok with that.

Reply #578451 | Report this post

Oh dear.

Reply #578452 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thought Jett was a solid defender, he gave Goulding trouble a few times.

Ogilvy would have both been in the mix. Strong rim protector. If these awards were given at the mid way point, I reckon he could've got the MVP+DPOTY instead of Lisch.

Cedric Jackson continues to worry people with his quick hands.

But Lisch is a deserving winner.

Reply #578475 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Only being able to nominate one player per team seems silly. Ogilvy likely would've finished third had he been eligible.

Reply #578482 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ogilvy was unlucky to miss consideration due to the one player nomination. But I wonder if he might have taken votes away from Lisch. It's hard to predict how people might think in such a circumstance. Hypothetical anyway.

Reply #578561 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So with the one player rule... Did Perth go Damo or Matty Knight... Matty has played more matches this year than in previous seasons and he is easily one of the best interior defenders in the keague

Reply #578809 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They went Damo, he came second by five votes. Fifteen votes ahead of Mika in third.

Reply #578812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754