ME
Years ago

Thon Maker won't play in Asia Cup, eyes Tokyo

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/19122333/milwaukee-bucks-thon-maker-well-ahead-nba-development

Topic #41173 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

I wonder how many of our NBA players will be interested in playing at the 2019 World Cup in China

Reply #633272 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am pretty sure most would be.

Reply #633279 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

As I predicted some months ago, most Australian NBA players will probably be not available because they are either out of contract or in need of development (Maker, Exum, Simmons). A further complication is that Australia plays a tournament in China in July (I think it's Continental Cup), which runs parallel to NBA Summer League. After a short break, the team will practice for two days before the FIBA Asia Cup. Seems like the biggest hurdle being facing is getting a group together and getting them cohesive rather than any opponent.

Reply #633308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow what a bold prediction

Reply #633310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With..
No NBA players
(Delly, Mills, Ingles, Exum, Baynes, Bogut, Simmons, Maker)

No Euro players
(Broekhoff, Bolden, Motum)

No college players
(Adel, Landale, Humphries, Cooks, Mathiang)

No elderly players (32+)
(Martin, Newley, Anderson)

Possibly..
Norton/McDowell-white
Lisch/Goulding/Sobey
Blanchfield/Creek
Bairstow/Kay
Ogilvy/Hodgson/Mathiang

Reply #633313 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

Anon is close to what I said. However, Broekhoff has indicated that he'd like to play and in the absence of experienced heads, I think Martin and Newley would also be available. By August there is no way that Bairstow would have rehabbed sufficiently while Ogilvy is blacklisted by Lemanis. I think some of the college talent will be available- but isn't the World University Games running simultaneously. As the standard is probably higher in the latter (NZ, China, Iran and the Philippines the only countries with any world class type players), it may be Lemanis' preference for aforementioned players to be blooded in Taiwan.

Reply #633314 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yikes! That looks like a pretty weak team anon! I'd prefer to bolster that with a bit of experience with guys like Newley, Martin and Gliddon. If Bairstow is definitely out then I hope we bring Matt Knight. I know he is old, but we need some toughness and smarts if we are taking just an NBL team.

Daniel Johnson would have to be worth a look too. He's far more skilled than Ogilvy and a better rebounder anyway! Hodgson is worth a look for the future as a backup. Unlike Ogilvy he actually has some potential as a rim protector.

I think this looks a bit stronger:

Martin Sobey
Goulding Gliddon Creek
Newley Blanchfield
DJ Kay
Knight Hodgson Majok

Reply #633324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight at centre, sobey at the point, creek as a sg.

Cmon man...

Reply #633325 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Odd questions anon, but okay then:
- Knight is a centre. He is too slow to play anywhere else
- Sobey is a combo guard just like Gliddon. Both could play either position.
- Creek can and does play both SG and SF

Reply #633359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably won't be playing coz we'll be at war with China the way things are going.

Reply #633398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754