Anonymous
Years ago

U18 vic metro state squad

The latest tryouts for the state team are flawed at best and corrupt at worst?
Having a new coach should have been refreshing,but he got caught up in it as well.
It's all about selectors and clubs with their favourites and self interest that put players through that shouldn't be there, and disguard some of the best players.
The sooner the process is cleaned up the better? Some didn't have to tryout!! And were carried through.

Topic #42285 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

But doesn't this happen all the time? Doesn't matter what age group.

Reply #659730 | Report this post

ball  
Years ago

link to side?

Reply #659731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems b ball has about as much credibility as politions.
Ba and bv need a shake up. Tryouts should be about best players but the system is broken.

Reply #659738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Sobey didn't make any state teams, and he was a Country Vic kid. Just help your child get better but training hard and working hard. The rest will come by playing good ball.

Reply #659740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry....that's simply not true

Reply #659741 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's a shame you feel that way. I'm sure the system isn't perfect. Trying out is important however by under 18s level many will be earmarked by the way they play in competition. Their participation in camps and high performance programs, how they will gel with the key players...

However, I know it must be frustrating for many.

Move to ACT .....

Reply #659751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yes you do all those things and more, but they don't count. Why?
Some players have a free ride no matter how they perform, so much for tryouts!!
The system is corrupt.

Reply #659754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would put up $100,000 if 40% of those chosen could beat some that were cut!

Reply #659755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always the way with Vic Metro, the top 5 generally pick themselves, but there is always a 5 that didn't make it that would beat the bench 5 who did.

Reply #659757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's true

Reply #659758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's true so why are they chosen?

Reply #659759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes there's a few extremely talented kids who are a little raw when it comes to structure and the coach doesn't want to spend time teaching a couple of guys things the others already know.

Reply #659771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And sometimes not!!

Reply #659773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro also has the luxury of leaving talented players out for one reason or another and making a few questionable selections from certain clubs who's coaches are involved in the state program, where they will always field a team that will medal, and often win anyway.

Let's be honest, Vic Metro B with players who don't make it, the spoken talented kids included would probably win a medal as well.

Reply #659774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point is, where does a player go who has vastly improved, to be the best player! and is the best at tryouts. Will they be chosen, if not picked in the past.
They still get overlooked, due to club preferences and selectors agendas.
Those players now do not have that pathway.

Reply #659777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best 5 always make it unless there is a real attitude issue, politics only really come into it for the remaining spots, often parents watch the tryouts and see their son play well and get lots of buckets and run around saying "how can a player who was best at tryouts not make it?" Sometimes that's just rose coloured glasses and they weren't watching other players as much as their son.

Reply #659778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying you are that... but maybe?

Reply #659779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact is if a player actually was the most talented at a Vic Metro tryouts they're probably destined to NCAA Div 1 offers whether they make the team or not, so no need to stress.

Reply #659780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sympathize with the the sentiments of the poster.

Unfortunately the coach/s are charged with picking a balanced TEAM, one that has a balance of bigs, forwards, guards & point guards. As unfortunate as that is, that means there are generally only two spots for each position, so if your child is not one of the top two players for a certain position, then your child is more than likely going to miss out.

However, making junior teams is not the be all. Kyle Adnam never made a state team and is now playing for Melbourne United and there are others that made nearly every state team in their time in Juniors, yet never played Big V, SEABL or beyond once out of juniors.

Dominating in juniors, whilst nice if your child can do it, should not be the goal. The journey should be geared to where they are at by the early mid twenties.

Junior sport is so fickle as some kids mature early, some late. Generally the early maturing kids have an extreme advantage, that generally diminishes as the kids age. Things only start to even out at top age 18 of the U20's.

I have two kids, one made every state team going, the other never made a state team. Yes I was disappointed, a little like the original poster, but looking back it is not such a big deal, he has played in SEABL when most of the players that made those state junior teams are no longer playing or were/are not good enough to make Big V or SEABL.

So my advice is train hard, work on your game and if you are good enough, like Kyle Adnam, your child will make it in the end.

Reply #659784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume this is in relation to tryouts for the upcoming East Coast Challenge? Which is not the State team, it is a part of the selection process for the Vic Metro State team.

Also, I forgot to mention, the tryouts for the ECC are only a small part. The coaches know these kids, they see them play on Friday nights, etc.

It's not like these kids are unknown. Sometimes there is a kid who shows up and surprises everyone. But this is rare.

My experience is that the state teams will generally come from the top 4 to 6 teams in VC. Why? They are not the top 4 to 6 teams by accident, they generally have the best players, as hard as that might sound.

Reply #659785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year u18 selection, did bv choose the best squad to take to east coast? No they did not. At east coast did they Choose the best team to represent bv? No they did not.
On selector boasted he got seven of his girls in the side, corrupt!
That year did they go on to win? No they failed, and no one asks why. They played off for bronze.
It seems vic country have it together by choosing their best players maybe the influence of Justin.
Flawed and corrupt.
Recently 2 girls got offered a scholarship at Coe one struggled last year, whilst the other played well in the lower age as a centre but now has to play a 3 she can't dribble or shoot and would struggle against the 18s this season,but that is overlooked.
When will ba and bv start recognising the better and improved players.
Sadly I don't think it will happen.

Reply #659818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What will the u18 squad look like in 2018?

01/02 athletes.
Will it be much different to the u16 sides in 2016?

Women
Ellis
Scanlon
Lopes
Babic
Newton
Potter
Edmanson
Hollingsworth
Locandro
Anstey

Men
Anderson
Capetola
Emmett
Manton
Mellis
Rocci
Steiner
Taulapiu
Taylor
Tsapatolis

Not sure the womens side will have many changes...

Reply #659819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Isis, and three others who shouldn't be there.

Reply #659820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Locandro injured,won't be fit enough

Reply #659821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question mark on Isis, locandro, potter, Babic Edmanson

Reply #659822 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

STOP naming and eluding to children. Pull your head in. If you think it's "corrupt" complain to peak sports body and whomever else you need to go to.

It was it is mate.

What it boils down to is 1. That's the team, it's not changing
2. Work on your attitude so it doesn't transfer to your child as pain in the ass parents are actually unfortunately a factor in kids progression.
3. Look to the future.. we said a million times, so many excellent professionals didn't make these squads. They worked hard, more than anyone and they got theirs.
4. If you're so caught up in selection and so angry about it you might want to reasses whether you are living vicariously through your child.

Reply #659824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of injuries in the women's program?

Reply #659826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon who's We?
We said a million times??

Reply #659830 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

I can't see why you have anything against Potter. You have no basis to say she struggled last year. She was the best player in the VC winning team. She is a clear talent and I don't believe you should be making such comments against kids online.

Reply #659844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deaths, taxes and disgruntled parents in junior sport.

Reply #659845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nnopu and potter are the best 2 choices at sf for Australia imo even though they both play as pfs at state level.
Congratulations to those girls on gaining a scholarship to the COE.

Reply #659847 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

Too true unfortunately!

Reply #659848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Babić was their biggest scorer, and potter going to the ais. How do they have question marks

Reply #659851 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

Big congrats to both girls. Well deserved.

Reply #659852 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

The process is flawed, unfair at times and biased often. I have a few observations.
I understand players are [supposed to] picked for position, but multiple players from one club, often the club of the Head coach? State teams should be the best players, they are being picked to represent Victoria, not BV or a club or even the coach, but Victoria. The BEST players.
I don't think there should ever be coach appointed by BV who has a child in that age group who is a possible representative. Nepotism avoided!
Yes, many players are preselected, it happens at many levels, VJBL level and lower. This makes it extremely hard for many players who possibly have made huge improvement to get through.
It's not impossible, but rare for players from small associations or clubs to get through at any age group. usually they are osticized by the club uniform they wear at tryouts immediately.

Reply #659878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True

Reply #659879 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ that is such rubbish. My child is in the team at the bottom of the ladder, and has made state selection 2 years in a row.

Reply #659903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm assuming we're only as far down the track as selections for ECC? If that's the case then they take at least 20 athletes per age group to field 2 teams, sometimes up to 26, do that each team has 13 due to the heat. Not sure how anyone can claim that these coaches have intentionally left 'the best player' in the age group out of the top 20? Ludicrous suggestion. And I agree about Potter, she's legit and Babic is close to 6ft now and is a streaky shooter with massive range, definitely in the top 20 in this age group

Reply #659910 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sooky anonymous parent - "we" is about the numerous posts pointing out people like Adnam and Sobey who have had great success with the right attitude and work ethic. Dude, just pull your head in.

The team published, is the team - do not think for a second that BV is more interested in spoiling favourites than winning, that's just stupid. BV select to win, even at ECC and SCC these kids are selected to be the best fit.

Move on, or move states.

Reply #659916 | Report this post

Ball  
Years ago

If the team is published can I have a link to view the team?

Reply #659957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god for Dane, some sanity in this discussion.
I suppose if you poke a stick into a wasps nest you'll probably get stung.
Btw the opals squad is pretty good!

Reply #659963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754