Isaac
Years ago

NBL Grand Final Game 1: United vs 36ers, March 16

The day is here! Two titans prepared for at least three games full of awesome match-ups. Talent at every position. Veterans. Athletes. X-factors and gamebreakers.

Bookies have Melbourne as $1.53 favourites in the first game. 36ers $2.50. Line is -4 and total game score is 177.5.

What's your tip for tonight?

Topic #42905 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game will give us a good indication on the series. If Melb take this one easily I would expect them the win it in 3 or 4.

However if Adelaide win or keep it to within a few points it's going to give Adelaide the upper hand for the rest of the series.

Melbourne's D is going to be the key here. They have shown that they are actually a half decent defensive side when they need to be.

I actually think this is a 50/50 game, I'm going to say Melbourne at home but certainly wouldn't be taking the $1.53 with any confidence. I would think the total will also go under the 177.5

Reply #678127 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Melb will take game 1 but we'll still win the series 3-2.

Reply #678128 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Does anybody else think the spread of games is too far apart? The league should've taken a punt on a midweek game to bring the potential length in within a fortnight. 6 days between games 4 and 5 is momentum ending.

Reply #678133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Prather into starting lineup now
Moller nothing more than a role player

Reply #678135 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well, this has turned into the ultimate SA Great vs Victoria contest. Australia is like a family of boys with NZ being the crazy cousin that comes over when he wants to. NSW is the eldest and is always #1, but Victoria is, and always will be, second best, or "Number 2". They play that role of annoying elder brother well. The one who gets beat up the eldest, but who has to beat up on the younger brothers, so he picks on the brother closer to him as brother 3 fights back too hard, but brother 4 is a little more reserved.

Both teams carry form into the game tonight after “comfortable” 2-0 wins in their SF series. Melbourne deserve to go in as favourites and any thing less than a win tonight is an underachievement. This is the best of 5 and deserves to go all the way. Pound for pound, United have more talent on paper, but a team of champions is always beaten by a champion team.

I'm going for the Sixers to get the series and I call upon all non-United fans to get behind the Sixers. Everybody, go and grab a plunger, because you know what we do with “number twos”!

Reply #678139 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Jack, how is it that the littlest brother Perth has managed to beat all his big brothers up over the last couple of years?

Reply #678148 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'll be there...free ticket of course. I think United will get it but I hope I'm wrong

Reply #678150 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I reckon it'll come down to who executes better in the last 5 minutes. Should be very close tonight.

I expect they'll be split 1-1 after 2- regardless of who wins tonight. And THEN it'll get really interesting.

Reply #678152 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"little" brother WA has been the runt of the litter for years, until it hit puberty. It's now 6'8" while other brothers are less than 6'.

That, or else there must have been some Dutch genes in there somewhere ...

Reply #678154 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Adelaide will get this game tonight. Too long a break for Melbourne and the train which is Adelaide is driving only has one direction, keep going to the basket.

The problem will be who joins Aylen and Mayberry. These 2 can put their Grand Final series hats on and they will call (not call) a fair bit of consistency and common sense. If it is Reid, the balance will be a nightmare and I would hate to be one of the other 2 cleaning up his mess. Hopefully Damian Lyons earns his spot as he seems to be the most balanced and reasonable when the game is getting out of hand.

Reply #678173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne by an average of 12pts across a 3 game sweep.

Reply #678176 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would be a great result anon #176 but will be at least a four game series with mostly single digit margins IMO.

Reply #678178 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I'm happy to be here having taken Adelaide to win it all at the beginning of the year @ $13. Melbourne arguably the better starting 5, Adelaide arguably the better depth.

Should be an awesome finals series against the 2 best teams in the comp this year. Tipping Adelaide in 5.

Reply #678179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@hogwash obviously you don't understand basketball

Reply #678180 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Your opinion.

Reply #678181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United to win 2-1
Agreed 6 days apart is too long... I'm guessing it was a scheduling thing though?

Reply #678182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United to win 2-1"

It's a 5 game series in the grand final

Reply #678183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think ti will be a good series and go to 5 games. As much as I dislike Adelaide I think I'll be hoping they win. It will be good for the league imo if they win the series. The common factor of the NZ/Perth dominance over the last decade has been a strong local core mixed with the right imports, and Adelaide have that formula. Personally think it will be better for a team like that to win compared to a big spending United with lots of overseas talent.

Reply #678186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With 3 imports plus a pseudo Import United have a huge advantage. All about the money. For Australian Basketball I hope Adelaide win and prove that we should value our own talent for our own Internatioal teams and glory. It will also put a stamp of approval on a great brand of exciting basketball for our juniors to look up to and coaches inspiration to give kids a chance that are team first players above all else. That is what Adelaide is about. Opportunity to be tour own man within a team to show what you have. It is becoming a team breeding talent and feedig it to the world. Respect to Joey regardless of how you feel ahould be given for that.

Reply #678188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide has 3 imports and Childress would be one of the highest paid players in the league behind Cotton, agreed they do play an exciting game though.

Reply #678191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where and when can I watch this on TV?

Reply #678194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At your place when the game starts.

Reply #678195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not on the SBS tv guide

Reply #678197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Adelaide has 3 imports and Childress would be one of the highest paid players in the league behind Cotton, agreed they do play an exciting game though"

Yeah Adelaide would still have spent a decent amount on their roster. I'm all for teams spending big in the league to get the best guys, just personally feel like United almost went a bit over the top this year, especially with the league not being as transparent about salaries and tax as they said they would. If everything was out in the open I probably wouldn't feel as iffy about United's roster and spending.

Reply #678198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delayed on fta abc after midnight. So wither go to a local sports bar to watch fox or jump online NBL website and click NBL tv. Join up selecting Adelaide only and you can watch the finals for free. Need to do now as can be delay setting up. Will ise under 2GB a game. Go to free wifi at shops/library/maccas etc if you don't have the data. Can watch on mibile tablet and computer. Use Apple TV etc to watch on TV. Go Sixers !

Reply #678199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide Moore, post injury ex Melbourne No NBA D/G league experience, Shorter no NBA D/G league experience and yes Childress mega experience NBA but getting on in years. Has advantage of NBL experience but in a dodgy team lol. Childress in late to roster

Melbourne, Ware Prater NBA G/D league experience upcoming players with Ware so close to making it. Boone same as Childress and the pseudo import due to exemption for Guam but actually America. Experienced in NBL including finals and next season will be forced to be an import unless he can naturalise.

Then there is the euro experience of Anderson and Newley and their value
vs Adelaides younger leas experienced players previously rejected by other coaches developed and given opportunity by Joey and stepping up.

You have to admire Joey and his team even if you do not follow Adelaide. To win would be inspirational.

Reply #678200 | Report this post

Cat's 4 life  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind Adelaide to win, creek is on a another level and should be chasing Euro dollar's minimum and Childress complements the whole team.

Will be good how they officiate the game, this is where conflict of interest comes in.

I would also love to see Prather hold the trophy as well. Champion player and person , been a few year's i can sit back and relax and watch a gf without giving a shit.

Reply #678203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #200, Newley doesn't play for Melbourne. Soz. Go Sixers :)

Reply #678204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume he meant Barlow.

Reply #678205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know what pubs will be showing this in Adelaide CBD?

Reply #678206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #678207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley? Huh?

Reply #678208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anybody else having trouble accessing their tickets for tonight's game via the text message sent from Ticketek? Error message says they’re not yet available

Reply #678209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my.

Reply #678210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks anon for the tv info

Reply #678212 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I've already prepared mentally for United to go down tonight. Will be a pleasant surprise if they don't

Reply #678213 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Both these teams draw and get calls. I'd really like to see less than 40 combined fta for the game. If every flail is rewarded with shots the flow of the game will be ruined. And this has the potential to be a very high paced entertaining game. Look for prather to show why he is one of if not the best 3 men in the league, he does it all.

Reply #678214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies. Not Newley, I meant Barlow.

Reply #678217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather never played in the nba. The money spent on both sides would be reasonably even, Sobey, Creek and even Drmic were reported on big money. Barlow is on minimum as till this season was injured previous two years and as free agent only got offer from Melbourne.

Reply #678218 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just walking towards Hisense

I said all year that we'd get a tightly fought playoffs series. So far so good.

I think it'll go to at least 4. It wouldn't surprise me to see a classic ala Kings Razors 04.

This is what we've been waiting for. Go United but more importantly, go basketball

Reply #678219 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

What's that Melbourne United mascot supposed to be? Spray tan man?

Reply #678221 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Human money bag I think

Reply #678222 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

That United mascot was fairly poor, lol.

Disappointed in the pre game coverage. Would love to listen to some in depth discussion about matchups, keys to the game etc but it's just a bunch of montages.

Reply #678223 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Fev could do the interviews. After a few pints.

Reply #678224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a sellout?

Reply #678226 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

How many hot takes and outlandish statements is Homicide gonna make before the 1st quarter ends? Ugh.

Reply #678227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware injured?

Reply #678228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware didn't look too bad at first glance to me, probably need to see another replay to see what went wrong

Reply #678229 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Ware will be back. He is Hardware.

Reply #678230 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Ware will be back. He is a grown man with bills to pay.

Reply #678233 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Looked awkward. Hip injuries can really play up and linger.

Reply #678234 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

First quarter and that's all Melb has. Tough game from here on in. Great for us fans

Reply #678235 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Adelaide already resorting to the thuggish tactics they befouled the game with v Perth. SMH man

Reply #678236 | Report this post

Cat's 4 life  
Years ago

Homicide is annoying repeating the same shit. John cassey?

Reply #678237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Mock.

Reply #678238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ware was to miss the next game, they can't bring in Felix can they? The rule is he can only replace Prather yeah?

Reply #678239 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Looks like Felix in next week.

Reply #678240 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

In terms of celebrities, apart from the Cunnos guy and Anne 'Willsy' Wills,who can we expect to be in the Jack Nicholson seats on Sunday in Adelaide?

Reply #678241 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Hodgson is dirtier than a bath mat

Reply #678242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 4min: 8 points, 1 rebound, 1 Casper Ware

Hodgson with his most influential game of the year so far

Reply #678243 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Keith Conlon!

Reply #678244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Felix can only replace Prather, so no.

Reply #678245 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ware is he?

Reply #678246 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman coaching well

Reply #678247 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So hodgson jumps and lands on a shooter, no foul. Adnam and anderson get called for what exactly? I complained in the cats series that shooters weren't getting calls when adelaide players landed on them, and here we are the same no call may have just robbed us of the series everyone wanted. Also the adelaide keyway ft rule seems to be a real rule... aka the drimic foul.

Reply #678248 | Report this post

Marjorie  
Years ago

anyone posting from the game tonight ?

Reply #678250 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

If Goulding heats up there won't be a damn thing Adelaide can do about it

Reply #678251 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is Teys seriously getting minutes right now?

Reply #678252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and here we are the same no call may have just robbed us of the series everyone wanted"

What? No one wanted the 'Cats in the GF except 'Cats fans.

Reply #678253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, Hooley scored.

Reply #678254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Aylen's shirt so tight?

Reply #678255 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike ffs!!! Bs!!

Reply #678256 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He fumbled the ball and it was right there to be tapped out. Hate that rule.

Reply #678257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike?? For real.

Reply #678258 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

This unsportsmanlike interpretation is a disgrace to how basketball was played? How do you defend that play, made a play at ball.

Reply #678259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL refs interpretation of the new rule is woeful.

Reply #678260 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So sobey gets a foul for that? Is that the speed and talent that 36ers fans describe to explain all their foul shots? Sounds like the 36ers in the key must be freethrows rule again...

Reply #678261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol how is that unsportsman like??

Reply #678262 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Wesley says don't bring that junk in here thot

Reply #678263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a neutral. But Sixers seem to look the better side so far? Thoughts?

Reply #678264 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anon you idiot!! Wares injury is a hip, hes done, series ruined. How you failed to comprehend that is sensational

Reply #678265 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That rule is bloody aweful. Fibs can go f itself.

Reply #678266 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Neutral also and thought same thing despite scoreline.

Reply #678267 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Gee and here i was led to believe only Gleeson whinged to refs, seems to me Joey is doing a pretty good job of it tonight, coaches get away with it because of weak refs, only need to tech them once and will the whinge will be over.

As far as the USF goes, a lot worse have been called all season.

Reply #678268 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Melbourne underperforming. Should be up by more, but look awkward without the help from refs

Reply #678270 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If the same injury happened to shorter, you wouldn't be able to sub Shorter off.

Hodgson had the right to land, Ware went he was landing. Great no call.

Consistency would have called the Prather foul USF because Sobey had fumbled the ball as well

Reply #678271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J you were talking about no calls not Ware's injury. So yes I misread but you were going on about no calls but I understand you meant Ware, okay.

Reply #678272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be nice to see a Jack Toft post where he isn't accusing the refs of favoring the other team.

Reply #678273 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Joey is a flamethrower, will gob off at refs all day

Reply #678274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sixers lose beaten by a better team or their own mistakes so be it BUT not with phantom and no calls. That is bullshit and bad for the game. Typical NBL. Don't deop your heads Sixers. It is yours to take. Screw the refs, just go at em and force the calls

Reply #678275 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United doing well

Hodgson didn't jump up and down- he jumped fwd and landed on Ware

Reffing pretty hopeless

But entertaining game nonetheless. United has to really step up to stay in series now, but they're playing with confidence right now. Keep it up...

Reply #678276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware had the ball, Hodgson jumped into him foul every day of the week.

Reply #678277 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anon no calls for the same play in previous series, implying if it had been called he may have learnt his lesson and we wouldn't be down a star player

Reply #678278 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Fm you are insane if you think defence has the right of way in that play

Reply #678279 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

United outscored Sixers 21-8 at the end of the half. Melbourne look like they are going at the big/ small mismatches that come off the switching that Adelaide do. As they are successful in forcing Adelaide's defense into rotations they are able to get a lot of second shots from offensive boards. Childress didn’t play much in the second as he picked up fouls. Will be interesting to see if Adelaide goes with a smaller lineup. They tried it with Deng but it looked like United went right at him with Wesley in the post.

Great game so far, can’t wait to see the second half.

Reply #678280 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Is Ware definitely out for the game? heard nothing at the game.

6ers looking good.

Hodgson doing ok so far but need to get Childress back on, why is Teys getting on ahead of him. Saw Mitch and Sobey before the game and they were on tonight. I expected them to tear the game apart

Reply #678281 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

casper is back

Reply #678282 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Fm furthermore there is supposedly a new rule coming in to say that hodgsons play, landing ontop of the offence will be a usf. Not saying i agree with it, but you may have just witnessed their reasoning

Reply #678283 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

sixers need to start hitting a few from range or they will get found out trading two's for threes.

Umpiring not too bad so far but Sixers leading the foul count, all be it by one is an anomaly. Some soft calls not all consistent. Might bite us in the second half.

C'mon Sixers third quarter must be ours by a good margin, tighten up defense and gun in offense and see if referees can call consistently. Pull some Melb fouls on the drive.

Reply #678284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM with you. Ware always draws contact and gwts the calls even though he should collect mire offensive fouls but with this he tried to get under not move away from Hodgson to draw attention and draw a fouls and it bit him on the Hip ! Joey has been pretty calm of late but 2nd quarter there is bo doubt the phantom calls and no calls are against the Sixers. NZ Copped the same against Melbourne with the same refs. And why is it Anderson is always copping calls when very few against his team mates. Mus have pissed off the refs at some point. The phantom calls have had an affect on Sixers as Majok Childress and DJ had to sit and that changes momentum. There should be minimum 2 flop warnings and 2 charges against melbourne. That changes the game right there. Lets hope the Sixees push contact to check the refs and force the calls

Reply #678285 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Fm furthermore there is supposedly a new rule coming in to say that hodgsons play, landing ontop of the offence will be a usf. Not saying i agree with it, but you may have just witnessed their reasoning

Reply #678286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep calling the travels vickerman and then call them for goulding ware and hooley

Reply #678287 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Good to see ware back on the court to start the 2nd half. No way that was a dirty play by Hodgson though, he couldn't do much to avoid ware when he was up in the air. As Heal said on the broadcast it was more incidental contact than anything but I guess clueless adelaide haters like J and Mock feel the need to destroy the thread with their bitterness.

Reply #678288 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

He moved forward, offence has right of way. Never said it was dirty, just that it was a blatant foul. Incidental contact can be a foul.

Reply #678289 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Bench ware. Hes clearly done

Reply #678290 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Guessing moore was straight up 2? Uncle phil? Not a foul?

Reply #678291 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Melbourne staying alive with the 3's.

Reply #678292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson is a terrible player, zero bball IQ.

Reply #678293 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

HODGSON YOU ARE KILLING ME.

Ugh

Reply #678294 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

What field goals has goulding got?

Reply #678295 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sixers yet to hit a 3? Can't remember seeing them hit one.

Reply #678297 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Refs not calling Melb defensive fouls. They are just a little teflon coated

Reply #678298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is actually playing a PG on Andersen at centre. I've seen it all now.

Reply #678299 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Just imagine if drimic wasn't a hot head. So much potential

Reply #678300 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

Andersen exploiting the Adelaide switch to get easy post up points on the guards. Either do what homocide says and quit the switch or hard double that post up against the mismatch

Reply #678301 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

MA earning his pay!

Reply #678302 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Not even the switch to blame there. Our tallest player on the court for 5 minutes was Drmic.

Reply #678303 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

Joey isn't playing a point guard on the Centre. They are switching screens and united running 1/5 screens to exploit it

Reply #678304 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

8 points is nothing for the 36ers to pull back. Just need a run.

Reply #678305 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

The Sixers biggest weakness - the 3 ball really hurt us in the last half of that qtr. you can't play mediocre perimeter D when you are not hitting anything from outside at the other end in today’s game. Need a huge last quarter now.

Reply #678306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is suxers to lose but joey protecting 4th quarter with sobey dj and co on 3 he had to sacrifice. Dj and majok will start pumping the 3's and childress creek to rebound and the sobey shorter to pick up the loose ball

Reply #678307 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

What was Joey thinking in those last 3 minutes by going with the line-up of Sobey, Drmic, Creek, Shorter and Moore?????

This Melbourne team are too smart for that shit. Game lost right there.

Reply #678308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know the name of the trippy techno tune they play on the fox coverage as they through to an advert ?

Reply #678309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta just deny anderson the ball

Reply #678310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiot DJ

Reply #678311 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Why does Joey insist on being a moron sometimes and play no centre with Andersen out there? He just handed Melbourne an 8 point lead going into the final quarter. I just don't get it

Reply #678312 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

That happens every time we play them. There is a 5 minute run of no one over 6ft6 and Andersen puts up an easy 6 to 8 points and then we scramble around after doubling him and they hit a few 3s.

Reply #678313 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Now this is enjoyable basketball to watch. United taking what the defence gives them.

Reply #678314 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

We don't have a game plan for Melbourne United.

Reply #678315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why TF is Heal commentating a GF game, and also that Russell dude. Need to roll out quality like John Casey etc. not these numnuts.

Also Joey WTF are you doing, what a poor coaching performance.

Reply #678316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time adelaide get a run the refs find a way to change momnetum and then sixers rattled and turn it over.

Reply #678317 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Johnson in foul trouble could be the difference.

Reply #678318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are playing so bad they are making Hooley look good for the first time this NBL season. So sad.

Reply #678319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SALTY ADELAIDE FANS!!!!

Reply #678320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is a shithouse caller. His go to phrase is "to be able to". He and Williams are awful and Matt Russell has no idea.

Reply #678321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when is Ware a gun three point shooter. FFS!

Reply #678322 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Yet Johnson can't buy a foul

Reply #678323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide can't hit 3’s, Melbourne can, at will. Series difference.

Reply #678324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is a shocker. How he weasels his way into calling a GF series game is beyond me. Hopefully only Game 1 and no other games. Totally disgusting decision, argh

Reply #678325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully this has taught Joey a lesson to stop trying to play funky lineups out there. Totally amateur "trick" moves that have no chance of working against a good side. Cut the amateur hour coaching BS out please.

Reply #678326 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I get it that 3s aren't really our game, but 1/10 from largely wide open shots isn't anywhere near good enough.

Reply #678327 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

disgraceful no foul call on Josh turnover. Melb being giver the momentum, ref consistency a disgrace.

LK giving them a bonus maybe.

C'mon sixers get in on despite the calls start hitting some threes.

Threes

Threes

Threes

Being exposed!!!

Reply #678328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason Sixers came out with a win in Game 2 in Perth was they actually shot and hit threes. Even Creek was feeling it. Now reverted back to their usual selves, but also attempt more come on.

Reply #678329 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Game 1 over. Regroup and go for game 2 at home.
The 3 point differential is really massive.
And when CW hits multiple 3's, it suggests we don't have enough firepower to overcome that.

Reply #678330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is pretty rank. Average as.

Reply #678331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this series becomes a blowout or whitewash 3-0 it is going to feel like such a waste of a season, was really looking forward to a legit tight series. Instead we get this crap.

Reply #678332 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Johnson threw hinself at the defence initiating the contact, most of us learnt that doesnt work in under 10s, but its worked all year for Adelaide, now he doesn't get them he gets upset.

Reply #678333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STFU Heal! WTF @ these commentary appointments for the showcase GF series. SHocking.

Reply #678334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers were outcoached tonight. Stubbornly clinging to the switch which disadvantaged us both inside and outside. Melbourne is too good in all positions if mismatches are continually happening

Reply #678335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of a sudden 7pt game, miracle comeback time LET'S GO.

Reply #678336 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

7 points in it at the moment. Adelaide would be in front now if they'd dropped a few more 3's.

Reply #678337 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Surely thats an unsportsmanlike. Intentional foul before the ball, aylen said it himself

Reply #678338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal been woeful, good game though

Reply #678339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No other sports use secondary commentators who are just warm bodies to fill the countless regular season game commentating slots, for their showcase final. Hopefully just Game 1 and we get Casey, Carfino, Harvey a combo like that for G2-5.

I'm astounded at this. NRL season is on yet Russell is commentating a G1 of a GF when you have better leads out there.

Reply #678340 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Melbourne hit the 3's Adelaide didn't. About sums it up.

Reply #678341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about towards the end down by 7. You need a three there nothing else yet Creek elects to drive. They hate the three.

Reply #678342 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Casper Ware showing why he is a NBA Flop...fake an injury so it's not your weakness.

Team looks like they can win, instantly healed by jesus

Reply #678343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Gleeson make the Joey's coaching and the Sixers' play look better than what they really are? Hope not.

Reply #678344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how Joey Wright's gameplay is to switch a point guard to defend a C in the post under the basket

Reply #678345 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Udog it was the threes but it was also the way they got them - quick transition off Sixers TO's before we could set defence. Melbourne had 32 points off TO’s!!! If Sixers cut their TO’s they would have been right in that.

Reply #678346 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I wouldn't panic yet. Johnson played the game in foul trouble and sat a lot and Melbourne hit some tough 3's. Adelaide were still in the game the last 2 minutes but things didn't go their way.

Reply #678347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey was himself, even Creek was down onto game two.

Reply #678348 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The Sixers either need to hit some threes themselves or limit United's 3's if they're going to win game 2. 2/11 just isn't going to get it done. They need Sobey, DJ and Drmic to hit some threes and have some other guys chip in also.

Run Casper off the 3 point line in game 2 and test out his injury.

Reply #678349 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I hear what you're saying there though beantown.

Reply #678350 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

SWEEP

Reply #678351 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Bill Walton always said the playoffs are about adjustments and this is particularly the case when a series is best of 5 rather than best of 3. Midway through the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, the 36ers looked like they were on top and had momentum. Each time, Vickerman called time outs and made appropriate adjustments on both ends of the floor that allowed United to take back control. The onus is on Joey now to change up the D as Melbourne scored far too easily in that last quarter and a half, switching everything clearly wasn't working against this Melbourne team with the number of weapons they have.

Melbourne also did an excellent job at walling off the lane with multiple players stepping up to cut off drives by Childress and Creek. They defended the paint against us far better than any other team this season and did well going straight up when defending the bucket unlike many other teams - clearly they have made this a point of emphasis to avoid sending the Sixers to the free throw line in excess.

I thought DJ was a bit unlucky with a few of his fouls but we need more out of him still. I think the Sixers will bounce back on Sunday, we tend to increase the defensive intensity at home and hopefully this will get us across the line. Being tied at 1-1 would set the scene for a great last 2-3 games of the series.

Reply #678352 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Fantastic win by United

Reply #678353 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman has done awesomely well with this team. If you're gonna get beat it may as well be by the highest paid team in NBL history with a coach like that. Come on game 2. Lets go Sixers!

Reply #678354 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Yep, credit to Melbourne, they should have lost that game but overcame adversity with smarter and better basketball. I was more impressed with their play than the Sixers and I wanted desparately for the Sixers to win.

Should the Dean be the next Boomers coach?

Reply #678355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wish the Kings could snag a coach like Vickerman.

Reply #678356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feedback from a new fan:

I haven't watched the NBL really all too much at all. Maybe a game or two when patty mills was playing on FTA and before bits and pieces from early years. Don’t know much about the NBL at all. Might be able to rattle off the teams.

Decided to watch tonight’s game as I saw some promotion around. Got the NBL app and was pleased to get a free stream on seamless app. Tuned into the game and was surprised by the quality. I hear a lot of negative comments as I pass by this forum but I thought the commentating team was great including the on the court commentating. The game play was top notch. I only really watch NBA and apart from the lack of dunks and some unorthodox shooting it seemed high quality and entertaining. The atmosphere looked impressive. I’d consider going down to watch which I’ve never done. The reffing was not bad, a few calls were dubious but just like any game they went both ways. The only thing that I didn’t enjoy is the stopping and starting in the final minutes and time it took for those calls but I guess it’s inportant the refs take the time to get it right.

All in all I was entertained and can say that I was surprised by the quality of this new NBL league. I will be tuning in from now onwards.

Reply #678359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There have always been question marks over Joey. Only title was with crazy money Bullet$$$$. He has been given the benefit the doubt with Sixers since he has built up a young squad but a second season where of nearly there it looks like it.

Reply #678360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#678359 welcome aboard. Where do you live?

Reply #678361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Midway through the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, the 36ers looked like they were on top and had momentum. Each time, Vickerman called time outs and made appropriate adjustments on both ends of the floor that allowed United to take back control."

Correct. You rarely see this in NBL, i.e. even the latest title winners like Lemanis and Gleeson. Vickermann also it's easy to forget already has one title but doesn't get the love like weaker coaches do.

Reply #678363 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sometimes grand finals are about unsung heroes

Dave Barlow was superbly influential tonight on the defensive end. Phenomenal effort, especially shutting down Childress when it looked like he was ready to take over

Andersen, Hooley both played valuable roles too.

I'm continually impressed with how this team keeps rolling with different rotations eg no Moller, Majok or Adnam in 2nd half. Different rotations, same result- United in front. Vickerman's strategy operates on a different plane than Demopoulos' did, that's for sure

I was impressed with Melbourne's D. Help D, filling the passing lanes, weakside positioning. Adelaide scored 96 but it didn't feel like it. And when Casper and Goulding both hit a number of 3's, United will rarely lose.

Still, I'm holding my view that this goes to 5- even though United are now 5-0 vs Adelaide. Someone will lift. Sobey was very quiet. Johnson was ok but not great. Maybe Childress works out a way to get past his kryptonite aka D Barlow.

My default when 2 very good teams play in a game that matters is tipping the home team, so I'll tip Adelaide.

Reply #678364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#678359 welcome aboard. Where do you live?"

Bendigo

Reply #678365 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sixers players talk too much, mainly Shorter. Not so cocky when they lose, it's good to see.

Any thoughts on what Casper's injury would be? My guess is muscular seeing as he was able to come back

Reply #678366 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Casper Ware talks a lot. Josh Boone talks a lot. Lots of players do it. Been happening for a long time. Sometimes you don't like or support a team so it gives you the shits.

Reply #678367 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hopefully Ware doesn't have labral damage or iliopsoas tear. Both possible and long term issues.

Reply #678368 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hip problems can lead to low back and hamstring issues if the deep hip flexors tense up. Hip tightness and reduced mobilty might kick in after he cools down.

Reply #678369 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I feel like Adelaide are that much worse for it.

Out of those two, labral damage looks the more likely. Good call, Doc

Reply #678372 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Ware pulled a heartliag. Would have broken his back if he wasn't already spineless

Reply #678373 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I don't understand why people are hating on Casper for being soft. Saw it on social media too.

He came back and played big minutes in the second half. Taking your anger out on the man who buried you. Pretty embarrassing

Reply #678376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spineless! I have a lot of respect for Ware. Not sure why he's copping so much - if he wasn’t injured, there’s no way he would have missed so much of the first half. To play like he did in that last quarter was impressive. It just seems like Melbourne have too many guns that pop up at different stages of the game so it’s hard to contain them.

Reply #678377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Anyone know the name of the trippy techno tune they play on the fox coverage as they through to an advert ?'

I've been asking this for months

Reply #678379 | Report this post

Ao  
Years ago

The track was called zombienation.

Reply #678380 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I Shazamed it one time. 'System Shock, Nicholas Hill'

I hope you guys get to see the full Sixers press conference (all 3mins of it). Joey will have a fine coming very soon one would think

Reply #678383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like Warrior fans defending Zaza for his dirty plays against like likes of Kawhi, Adelaide themselves will defend their own Pachulia. Pathetic supporters, soft team.

Reply #678385 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Watching it o TV last night the atmosphere seemed lacking.I doubt it will be that quiet on Sunday.

United scored inside easy, which stopped the Sixers running game, i too was staggered that Wright was playing small ball when Anderson was out, poor coaching from him tonight, although when you spend your whole game whining too the refs you are not really concentrating on what's important.

Sixers lack of 3 ball hurt them, DJ needs to hit a couple to see if he can drag Boone out of the key and give Childress and Co more space to work on the drive and draw the fouls on United.

Personally didn't think the refs were to bad, but then again i'm not a ref blamer, so i don't really focus on them. the only issue i have with the refs is they allow the coaches far too much latitude, one tech would shut them up in a hurry.

Reply #678394 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I reckon the only call that gave me the shits was the Sobey unsportsmanlike. 2 players under the basket, both inside the circle but because Sobey was trailing he gets unsportsmanlike. His hand was even on the ball and the contact was minimal. Shit rule. Get rid of it.

Reply #678396 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Not a shit rule just complete miss interpretation.

Aylen said he fumbled and therefore wasn't in the act of shooting. Umm he gathered the ball for a lay up, the fumble was because Sobey had dislodged the ball when he hit it. You know the hands foul that you both blew the whistle for.

In the shot of Allen and Reid, but instinctively called a normal foul. Both held the normal foul. Whoops then Aylen remembered this is Melbourne and L k would love it if we flipped the game because of it.

Complete game influencing 2 calls in a row. USF Sobey, then common foul Prather

Reply #678399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That unsportsmanlike foul has been called like that all season. I don't like the rule but It’s been consistently called that way.

Reply #678400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Sixers ignore that man back at the Arena. SA Premier League now has the pleasure of Mr Referee of the year to enjoy !

Reply #678405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could use Jacobsen right now. Wonder if Boone has any big men mates that are needing to wind down. We really have guard covered and can keep Sobey if he is given more cash and opportunity. Sign Chill now.

Reply #678407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could use Jacobsen right now. Wonder if Boone has any big men mates that are needing to wind down. We really have guard covered and can keep Sobey if he is given more cash and opportunity. Sign Chill now.

Reply #678408 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Really strange sub patterns by Joey. Both bigs then no bigs. Some of those line ups were ugly. Cant hit a 3, and then the one guy who knocks one down plays bugger all minutes. Childress looking sharp and gets benched through the 2nd. As poor as some of his players were, Joey was by far the worst performed sixer on the night.

And for those who still think everything Kestleman touches turns to gold; no live fta coverage of a grand final game, and a screen up to hide empty seats. But go ahead, keep believing the propaganda

Reply #678411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Complete game influencing 2 calls in a row. USF Sobey, then common foul Prather"

Game changing? Sobey the flog slapped from behind recklessly, while Prather did not even touch Sobey. Watch the replay and stop making excuses.

Reply #678412 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I suspected we might lay a bit of an egg due to the occasion. As Joey said in the presser our effort levels were pretty ordinary. Once again Utd clinically took us apart and they never looked in any danger of losing that game we just had too many guys that played like a deer in headlights.

I think we'll be much better for the run tomorrow hopefully Joey has been giving it to Sobey and expect to see a different team at home in Game 2.

Reply #678414 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I admit that I am a bit of a ref basher, but ... in this one [the Sobey USF] Sobey GAVE THE REFS every opportunity to make that call the way they did. Where's the basketball IQ I often read about.

Reply #678415 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sixers playing strength as good as United ,so what is the difference .
Can only be coaching and also PG with Sobey struggling with Joey ism and Shorter not up to top level.
This not a Joey hate but just trying to analyse how we can beat United somehow.
Maybe regardless of results we have a stronger assistant coach.

Reply #678417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where's the basketball IQ I often read about."

With Sobey, that's as good as you're going to get. Take the good with the (very) bad.

Reply #678418 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sobey is better than Goulding tho...

Reply #678419 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Goulding is so overrated it's comical. Dude throws up so much shit, passed on a wide open 3, hits the backboard on a 10 foot jumper. then hits one decent step back and the crowd, commentators and fans lose their shit.

United don’t impress me at all.

Reply #678421 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Face facts this will be done in 3.
Chokers just like the Crows.

Reply #678422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel the Sobey foul was more for the left arm gabbing Boone from behind around the waist.

Reply #678423 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The way I see it is this... the very fact that United don't impress you means that they are very impressive.

I think all you see is tough shots being made by players who try to take their man 1-on-1, plus ridiculous long threes. Their defence is the best in the league because they are smart. They aren't as flashy a team as you'd expect, looking at their roster, and that's by design. They're talented but so well coached and smart enough to execute gameplans. An example of their smarts in both coaching and players is their quick transition D adjustments last night and how they fared without Casper in the second quarter. The smartest team in the league

Reply #678424 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Wish the Kings could snag a coach like Vickerman."

You did....you elected to use him behind Lanard Copeland.

Reply #678431 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Thunder Jam, it would hardly be a choke to drop to the best team in the league.

Reply #678432 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sixers lack of hitting any 3pt shots cost them, and then Ware hitting 5/7. Even Goulding missing so many still hit more than Sixers team combined. Sixers had their moments, but when they got up in the third they need a 3pt shot to break it open which is exactly what Casper did. At times went with a small lineup and don't shoot threes.

Reply #678459 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Bench players Hooley and Adnam outscored Sixers entire team for threes. Not good enough at this level.

Reply #678461 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Tomorrow's game is a question. Are the 36ers for real?

United is loaded with guys who have won championships at pro level. Ware, Prather, Andersen, Barlow, Wesley.....

36ers are not. And they failed badly in last year's playoffs. They were comfortably beaten yesterday by a team who they're now 0-5 against.

So, are they for real?

Reply #678469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not for real

Reply #678470 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

We all know how much talent Melb have on paper, and they are playing as a team and complementing each other. They played with no fear and backed themselves in. They seemed like they have done their homework on Adelaide and now how to beat them, where the Sixers still look like they are trying to find a matchup and plan in their favour.

Reply #678488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 2 will make it clear. Look out for the sweep. Otherwise United win 3-1.

Reply #678491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers 3-1

Melbourne are woeful. How they made the playoffs is beyond me.

Reply #678934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They made it due to Felix.

Reply #678941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 941 you could be proven right there, it's still only one, one though. Team has not looked as good since Felix has gone and Moller who was going well is now getting splinters. Sometimes defence gets looked over for offence.

Reply #678965 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754