Childress Out For Remainder of GF Series

Josh Childress will miss the remainder of the Grand Final Series, after a CT scan last night revealed an unusual pattern scapula fracture.

The US import hit the deck after driving to the basket and running into David Barlow midway through the fourth quarter of Sunday's Game 2 victory.

Childress will not require surgery and will travel to Melbourne with the team.

Topic #42932 | Report this topic

snooch  
Years ago

Huge blow. Series defining unfortunately for the Sixers. Can't see them winning it from here.

Reply #679105 | Report this post

Adelaide responded well when Creek went out earlier in the season. Most people wrote them off for those games. You gotta think Deng will get minutes. Hodgson will be begged to stay out of foul trouble, and everyone else is gonna have to crash the boards like their life depends on it.

Reply #679107 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Big loss but yeah, it's not like Adelaide don't have depth. Deng and Drmic don't do all the things that Childress does obviously, but both are capable of filling it up.

Reply #679108 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

and they said a no. 16 would never beat a no. 1 in the NCAA - hardly game over - time for someone else to step up

Reply #679109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a United fan this disappoints me for Chill, the 36ers, and also the series. He is a pivotal piece to their campaign.

Reply #679110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive adelaide fab here... sadly his ends the series. The absolute worst guy adelaide could lose at this point. The intangibles he offered was immense. United just caught up in the depth department. Unless there is another chapter to this book, United probably win in 4.

Reply #679112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have mixed emotions about this. No one likes to see a player go down, especially not on the biggest stage, but at the same time seeing Adelaide lose would please the entire country so if there is a silver lining in all this...

Reply #679114 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I am sad, yet pretty okay with this news

Reply #679116 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is terrible news, Melbourne favourites now.

Reply #679118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers in 4

United are in trouble

Reply #679119 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Deng. This gives him a real opportunity.

Obviously a totally different type of player to Childress, but has the potential to be really dangerous- he can run the lanes and shoot 3's.

This hurts Adelaide's rebounding advantage but it could help them spread the floor and get their outside game going, with Deng and Drmic getting more time.

Disappointing- I'd rather see United beat a full strength Adelaide team.

Having said that, Ware and Boone are both under an injury cloud and I see them as far more important to Melbourne's structure than Childress is to Adelaide's. And we're yet to hear much about their ongoing status? Obviously they'll play but I guess we'll never really know exactly how impeded they are by their injuries.

Reply #679120 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In fact, to add to the above, I thought in Game 1 Barlow locked Childress down really well. And Melbourne was able to clog up the paint with plenty of helpside D, as Adelaide wasn't threatening from outside.

Having Deng as an outside threat at the 4- or Creek at the 4 with Drmic coming in at the 3- will mean Melbourne's D needs to spread and the driving lanes will open up a bit more for everyone else.

Reply #679121 | Report this post

Deng can be good on the boards, but he's got big shoes to fill there. It'll be interested to see what the Starting 5 will look like. I guess in a small way that's an ace that Wright has up his sleeve. He can make a change that Melbourne might not expect. He could throw Hodgy back in the starting 5, but it could just as easily be Deng, Drmic or Moore.

Reply #679124 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If the Adelaide bigs don't rack up fouls they should be right. Early foul trouble will be telling though. Boone looked to be hobbled on Friday so see how he pulls up. Childress leaves a big hole to fill...

Reply #679127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 See the whole country pleased... WTF

There are likely more that hate Mel Bun than Adelaide and for the love
of the game they want to see a good series with all players in it.

Gee Melbourne your tickets really are cheaper than I thought they were

Reply #679128 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Feel bad for him I hope he comes back next year.
Nothing has changed for me I still think Melbourne will win the title.

Reply #679130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one likes Adelaide. They don't even have eftpos yet.

Reply #679132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress goes down, so lets abuse one poorly run entertainments venue for lack of eftpos facilities...

Reply #679142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng, Moore should fill the void admirably, slight loss off depth but still either teams ball game.

Reply #679144 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

This is where Champion teams show you what they are made of...they either thrive under the adversity or they buckle.

Similarly, this is where players make a name for themselves.

You have to reward Deng at this point and elevate him into the starting 5. He has the length to defend the perimeter and the paint and has the ability to draw Boone/Wesley away from the paint...taking them out of rebounding contests and keeping the lanes open for the likes of Shorter, Sobey & Creek.

You would keep Moore first off the bench as that is the role he has played so well all year...no need to unsettle that.

However, it would not surprise me to see Joey elevate Teys to the starting 5 much like he did in the finals a few years back.

On another note....are Ware and Boone actually injured or is that just all speculation?

Reply #679158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big blow, he's been huge int he Playoffs. I still think they can do well without him though, he wasn't always huge during the season and Adelaide went alright. They're a deep team so hopefully some guys can step up and make the series interesting.

Reply #679160 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This is a directive from the top. Childress was ordered by LK to claim it was a season-ending injury so that United could win the championship. He's not even injured

Reply #679162 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree Tornado I'd like to see Deng come into the starting lineup now.

Reply #679163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow lucky break for Manu's $$$.

Reply #679167 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Champion teams win when the chips are down. If Adelaide 36ers are a champion team they will respond to this with the energy and desire needed to overcome. I still believe they can do this.

Reply #679170 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

At least we learned something. Never get scans done in Adelaide!

Reply #679174 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

We rolled the dice with Childress knowing his history. Damn bad luck.

Reply #679188 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

I was starting to lean towards possibly Adelaide in 4. I'll now lock in Melbourne in 5.

Reply #679192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder Jam it was a second scan on the back that showed referred pain was coming from there. do you even know where the scapula is ? Grow up and be a civiliswd intelligent human being if that is at all possible

Reply #679199 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha, chill, pardon the pun.

What Thunder Jam said is funny

Reply #679201 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

Bad luck to Childress

Is David Barlow made of steel?

Reply #679217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be missed mainly on the defensive end, can guard perimeter and bigs and has the rep that refs let him get away with more than what others do.
We have the deeper team and guys that can step up, Deng suddenly becomes the wildcard, if he can get hot offensively then it would be huge for Adelaide.

Reply #679376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. I just saw the clip and it was almost as if Childress charged into Barlow and he went down. No foul what so ever IMO.
Unlucky he got hurt. Clearly shows his fragility and the unluckyness he attracts.

Reply #679428 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What is Childress' +/- and Deng's in this series?

In Game 1 Childress was shut down by Barlow.

In Game 2, it was late in the second quarter when Deng came on that Adelaide really extended their lead from a few points to 15 or 16 at the main break. Deng ended up with 18 points in 16 minutes.

Reply #679476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just saw the clip and it was almost as if Childress charged into Barlow and he went down. No foul what so ever IMO."

Barlow stepped into the contact and had his arm well out of the vertical, definitely a foul, especially given the other body fouls that were called in G2.

Reply #679477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress +17 (+ in both games)
Deng +7

Reply #679478 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair enough- maybe Childress was very important after all.

No foul on Barlow there.

I agree that by the standards of Game 2 it was a foul. But if every game was reffed like Game 2, I'd probably lose interest in basketball, after nearly 25 years of playing, watching, and sometimes coaching, reporting on it...

Reply #679481 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

How was Barlow still on the court. The tunnelling foul should have been an ejection. USF at the very least.

Reply #679483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow constantly fouls, he is always closing the gap and moving into the offensive player, usually leading with his arms.

Reply #679485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress moved into barlow, no you don't need to have your arms vertical. No call.

Reply #679486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL FM.. Then the Sobey UCF from Game 1 should have been an ejection and suspension. See how flawed logic works?

Reply #679492 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Barlow tunneled someone?

Reply #679495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He most definitely did. Bent over and shuffled backwards, which put Childress on the floor. Saw it live, and the guy next to me called it as an unsportsmanlike.

Ignored by the refs as I recall. Tunnel call a bit old-fashioned for the modern game, I guess.

To be clear, that was earlier in the game, not the late-game incident that resulted in the Childress injury.

Reply #679501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" no you don't need to have your arms vertical. No call."

You do if that's the part that makes contact.

Reply #679504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The foul was called though, wasn't it?

I am all for protecting players in the air but Barlow has a right to box out a player who is crashing the boards. Thats all it was. Childress' suggestion that it was dirty because Barlow didn't try and catch him is laughable.

Reply #679506 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The right arm of Barlow is down and makes heavy contact with the body of Childress so I'm saying foul in the act of shooting (going on consistency over a number of years of that being the call). Nothing more than that though. He could have put both arms up but was probably bracing for inevitable contact with the right.

Reply #679514 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

In Josh's last interview the reporter asks if he could play if there was a game 5. He says he wouldn't rule it out. Think the reporter jizzed in his pants from the look on his face.

Reply #679516 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"How was Barlow still on the court. The tunnelling foul should have been an ejection. USF at the very least."

Saying Barlow tunnelled Childress is one of the finer examples of stupidity on Hoops.

Reply #679530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome to Adelaide, LoveBroker. Where stupidity is normal, and normal is stupid.

Reply #679534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... with no bandwidth to boot!

Reply #679544 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

1) was there physical contact between barlow and childress while childress was in the air - yes

2) was Barlow stationary or moving away from childress during the contact - Not stationary , seems to be moveing backwards into the contact

what the contact to the centre of barlow's chest , No , it was to his back while moving backwards into Childress

was there disadvantage to Childress because of the contact - yes he fell rather than landed as his legs were moved out from under him.

Did Barlow intend for this contact - probably not.

Did Childress use barlow as a "leg up" to jump - No

Would there have been any public outrage if an "ordinary" foul had been called on Barlow ? - No

IMHO pretty hard not to argue that a foul could easily have been called on barlow with little outrage by anyone, including barlow.

Reply #679554 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

not saying it was a tunnel in respect of intent ( which seems to be the great unwashed definition of tunnelling, if not FIBA's), just a stupid illeagal move on barlow's part that put another player into a risk situation.

Reply #679556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to read the United perspective on the Barlow Childress incident.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-defend-barlow-will-flex-when-they-win-title-20180322-p4z5oo.html
AS I said earleir when I saw the vieo for the dirt time the other day I thought Chilress ran into Barlow.

Boone says""Barlow stood straight up and put his arm up and Josh jumped into him," Boone said.
“If you disagree you can watch the video, it was an awkward play but he ran into a very strong guy and in no way were we trying to hurt him.”
That's exactly how I saw it IMO.

Reply #679656 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

His left arm is up but he makes no effert to get the right one up and it makes contact with Childress's body. I'm calling 2 free throws and that's it.

Reply #679657 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Notice Boone says "arm" and not arms. I really don't think Barlow tried to hurt him on purpose.

Reply #679658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't have to have his right arm up as long as it is inside his cylinder. The arm is not extended at 90 degrees, this is a legal play.

Reply #679659 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Tell that to the refs. A lot of the Centers/ forwards in this league would love them to know that rule.

Reply #679662 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

There is so much confusion around calls in the NBL because there is not really any consistency in what is being called. Do we go on the rules in the rule book (which Fiba keep changing anyway) or go with the way the refs are calling the rules from one week to the next?

Reply #679666 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If he doesn't extend the arm, it's within his cylinder and it's no foul.

The question is whether he had established defensive position. I think he did. But either way, there was no foul because of anything he did with his *arm*.

This is seriously basketball rules 101.

Reply #679670 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If only it was consistently called that way. Hence the confusion around what the hell the rule is this year/week/last 5 minutes...

Reply #679671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still going on about this? Time to move on I think

Reply #679689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754