Anonymous
Years ago

Kawhi wants to leave Spurs

According to ESPN. Preferred destination is the Lakers.

A LeBron and Kawhi duo might be enough to contend.

Topic #43492 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

>:[

Kawhi's dead to me

Reply #692583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man Spurs looking terrible if that happens.

Reply #692584 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kawhi was one of my favourite players, but this nearly puts him in Deron Williams/Jazz territory for me.

On the plus side, Spurs should be able to bring back a haul, but they'd have to be shooting for a top 5 pick as well. Who cares where Kawhi wants to end up, I'd be on the phone to the teams picking 1 through 5 right now.

Reply #692585 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Has any star player disgraced himself more than this guy in recent times? He decided he didn't want to be there anymore last year so basically just sat out the year even though he was cleared to return medically numerous times and even had Parker questioning his heart publicly. He's ruined his career with this stunt and the sooner the Spurs cut out the cancer the better.

Reply #692588 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Agree with some others above...pretty pissweak from Kawhi, but then again if it means there's another team in contention apart from GS and the rockets that can’t hurt.

Reply #692598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so disappointed. He was such a perfect fit in San Antonio and he owes the organisation a lot, because as much as his work ethic has been a huge part of his development, the coaching staff have played a significant role, too.

It will be interesting to see whether his reported scheduled conversations with Pop bring about any change of heart. I'm holding out hope that it happens. I don't necessarily think Parker was off the mark in questioning why Kawhi hadn't recovered, but publicly suggesting that the guy was just soft was pretty poor form. The Spurs have obviously moved on from Parker in a playing sense - he can get minutes but isn't a must-have piece - so whether Pop can or is prepared to make changes to the playing group to appease Kawhi will be interesting.

The reason that LA is his preferred destination would be interesting, too. Is this 'advisors' getting in his head and convincing him he needs a bigger market? Or is it just a desire to go home? The former could be harder to deal with because the Spurs can't change it, whereas when he's happy in San Antonio, the latter is less of an issue.

Reply #692602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say 80% chance he's a Laker. Teams aren't going to want to trade for a disgruntled player who doesn't want to play for them, and Lakers should be able to put together a nice package for them.

Lebron/Kawhi/George would be a deady 2way trio if Lakers can get them all together.

Reply #692603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% no way pop sends him to Lakers. Celtics have pieces and would only meet him in finals. If they can get Tatum, anything else is gravy.

Reply #692604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More likely Jaylen Brown . Noway they will offer Tatum unless Kawhi agrees to sign an extension

Reply #692606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree I highly doubt the Spurs now turn around and give him what he wants. They'll likely trade him to any teams other than the Lakers or Clippers. Trade him for a second rounder who cares just don't trade him to where he wants to go so he can then re-sign with that team for big money this time next year.

This is a dog act by him orchestrating this two years out from free agency. He knew he couldn't pull this stunt next season because the Spurs would refuse to trade him and would try and work things out like they did with Aldridge and thus he would have to sign with the Lakers as a free agent leaving a good $80 million on the table.

By doing this two years out he's trying to force the Spurs hand to trade him to the Lakers now so when he becomes a free agent next offseason the Lakers can pay him more as a returning player rather than as an incoming player in 2019.

Trade him anywhere other than LA for whatever you can get for him or even keep him on the roster next season and play him shitty minutes or even not at all thus severely damaging his stock for his 2019 free agency if he hasn't played in two years. You could spin it in the media that he's putting no effort in practice, poor attitude or whatever might not be able to suspend him that's fine keep paying him just damage his brand.

This is one of the more disgraceful acts I've seen in the NBA.

Reply #692607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a way though isn't it better he leaves now when they can get something in return instead of walking away in free agency and spurs get nothing?

Reply #692609 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

send him to Toronto so he isn't even in the same country

Reply #692613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Toronto don't have anything the Spurs want.

The only thing that gives me some hope is that some of the smarter front offices may be a bit wary of Kawhi for a few reasons. There is the obvious stuff with having been medically cleared but refusing to play, but there is also the fact that a lot of players look better at the Spurs than they do anywhere else. My observation of Kawhi is that he transcends that, but coming off injury, I'm not sure a smart GM would be 100% confident in committing $200M to him before he even retakes the court. The alternative is to take him with the possibility that it's only for a year, so I do see risk for potential trade partners.

In terms of personality, how would he cope in LA? One thing if they also add Lebron and PG, but if he goes there more or less as the face of the franchise, that's not a market that is forgiving of reclusive superstars.

Reply #692617 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ anon 2602; completely agree. Without Pops and the Spurs, I honestly don't think Kawhi would be half the player he is today. An undersized PF with good athleticism and a wonky shot... If he'd wound up on 95% of the other teams in the league, I wonder if he'd ever have developed a jump shot, let alone All-NBA level defensive skills.

Reply #692618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Patty Mills could be in the trade with the lakers ?

Reply #692620 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Ball Ingram kuzma for Leonard and mills.

Spurs got Time to work the best deal

Reply #692621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sat out because he, the person who knows his body best, didn't agree he was ready to return. Wants to leave because the Spurs pushed him to play when he didn’t feel ready.

What a shit bloke I guess

Reply #692622 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He and his people have wanted him at the Lakers for some time. He's from LA and they were the team he supported growing up. Leonard was also pissed about the shoe deal offer from Jordan Brand for only $4-5 million a season because he plays in a small market which is another reason he's done this. The guy refused to even sit on the Spurs bench during the playoffs. Defend him all you like.

Reply #692623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha okay champ.

Reply #692625 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Zodiac may have said trade trade Kawhi for a second rounder...

Reply #692630 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd like to see him traded to a team like Charlotte which is basically in the middle of bum fuck and if wearing Jordan's means so much to him then why not be under the man himself.

Maybe trade him for Kemba Walker and draft picks?

How come all this talk of players going to Los Angeles and it's always the Lakers?

If you want to be a legend in LA then win a championship for the Clippers... or go to Lakers and you'll almost be guaranteed they won't retire your jersey (Leonard isn't in the class of those with their jerseys retired.

Good luck Kawhi but I really hope the Spurs fuck you over

Reply #692695 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I've seen a few news articles saying that the Spurs are losing/have lost their mystique.

I'd argue not at all.

Kawhi is just being a brat. Kawhi is the one losing his mystique.

Reply #692700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Used to think very highly of Kawhi but he's made a mess out of this situation.

Reply #692703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub, I totally agree regarding this situation specifically, but I think the concern for the Spurs is that it seems like consensus is that Pop won't coach beyond 2020, which is going to make it harder for them. He has been a major attraction in San Antonio, and how they transition (presumably to Messina) will dictate whether they keep being the Spurs as we've known them, or whether they become just any other small market team. I suspect the presence of former cultural giants like Duncan around the organisation will always give them an edge, and the guys who've coached or played under Pop are some of the best coaches in the rest of the league. I think they'll be ok. But it's the most precarious position they've been in for a long time.

Reply #692711 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Kwahi getting bad advice!

If the Spurs call his bluff and make him get back on the court and the mystery injury hinders his performance he might find himself not getting the max.

The Spurs now have until February to make a deal so those coming up with low ball offers to get him to the Lakers are dreaming! Don't underestimate how much a BAD or under performing team would give up to get Kwahi to them even if only for a year for a playoff push with the view they'd at least be in the position to offer the most cash for Free Agency Time when next year doesn't trend for the Lakers to have Max room if they sign George/Le Bron so if i'm a GM from a poor performing team why not take the punt...not like they are getting any worse!

Also Spurs could punt on the above and wait him out...Kwahi might not be getting paid in LA if they sign others to the Max and suddenly San Antonio and the Supermax doesn't seem so bad after all!

Reply #692721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but from his viewpoint Spurs dynasty is ending with players around him aging/retired and Pop retiring soon too. Why stick around?

Reply #692723 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Why go to the Lakers @anon?

LA is a franchise still talking about the past and being is disarray since Buss died.

If the Lakers don't get any of the free agents the media keeps talking about they are a lottery team again so compared to two more years of Pop and whomever they choose after him is a safer bet than the Lakers with the Balls.

Reply #692727 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I read the other day that Kawhi switched agents recently (maybe sometime over the last few months). His agent is now his uncle, and is rumoured to be behind the rift between Kawhi and the Spurs. "Bad advice" seems to be an understatement.

https://www.sportsgossip.com/nba/kawhi-leonards-uncle-dennis-robertson-continuing-to-advise-him

Reply #692728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because players have boners for Lakers being a storied franchise etc.

Reply #692731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not #723, so this isn't in defence of the 'why stick around?' question, which I think answers itself with: because they're the Spurs and it's $200M.

But to Reality's question, I think there's broad acknowledgement that the Lakers' era of disarray is over. With Jeanie no longer sharing control, and Magic and Luke Walton in place, they have looked much more like the franchise that they were prior to Jerry's death. And while the size, glamour and history of the market all held free-agent appeal, so too did the fact that the organisation was generally well-run, with front office, ownership and coaching highly respected more often than not.

I agree that the Spurs have a huge amount of leverage in this situation. If the injury concerns are legit, he has to be concerned about both the quality of play he can produce and his longevity. He's 26, so if he doesn't sign an extension this summer and walks from the Spurs next year, he leaves about $80M on the table at the age of 27, and unless he takes a short-term deal, won't sign his next contract until 31, at which point teams are going to be thinking seriously about how many years they want to pay him for. It costs him about $40M if the Spurs trade him to a team he doesn't re-sign with. I'm mostly trying to talk myself into him staying in San Antonio, but when you actually lay out everything that goes into him leaving, it is a massive call.

Reply #692734 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not sure about the Lakers "era of disarray" being over. Every year, theres always being talk of "X" and "Y" free agents, but none have really eventuated.

FA's are going to continue to be weary whilst they are a young team; and remember they are coming off a losing season (and they did have 2 20-something win teams in their conference).

I think FA's would be more keen on the Lakers if they had another year or two to evaluate just how far Kuzma, Ball, Randle and Ingram had come along together and get a better view on calibre of team.

But I think right now there's just that (minority but still present) element of doubt i.e. are these guys capable of taking it to the next level or are they benefactors of playing big mins/getting shots in an average team.

May suit someone like Kawhi who at 26 has some years left and George at 28. But Lebron wants to challenge and win now (At 33).

Reply #692739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But there's a difference between disarray organisationally and uncertainty about the level of talent on the roster. There are absolutely still question marks over the abilities of the four players named (and they're the best they've got). Ball can't shoot, Ingram is wide as a twig, and it's a pretty safe bet that Kuzma and Randle can't simultaneously be part of a 5-man unit playing play-off calibre defence.

It is, however, a different front office and coaching staff which more closely resembles the Jerry Buss/Phil Jackson behemoth than it does the Jim-Jeanie shared power, 4 head coaches in 4 years debacle that went on between 2012 and 2016.

Reply #692785 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Kawhi is my favourite nba player but have lost respect for him. I highly doubt he would be the player he is if he didn't go to the spurs.

I’d trade him to the kings - near L.A. ask for pick 2 and fox. Might need to throw in an overpayed player to make it work.

Reply #692788 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

I only mention disarray because it was less than 18 months ago and the Lakers just woke up to the fact Mozgov and Deng where on the worse contracts in the NBA.

The new management at the Laker have thus far draft Ball and let the circus that is make them look unprofessional plus now the distrack thing makes it look like a situation Magic & Co have no control over.

This year alone they had to give up a former top pick to move Mozgovs contract and now people talking up trades for Kwahi are throwing in Deng's contract like its a good deal.

With Cap sapce being tight no one wants to eat Dengs contract...not even the Kings unless the Lakers got crazy and they got a major young piece back like Ball/Ingram.

Until Magic/Pelinka prove otherwise we can only look at recent history and for the Lakers that isn't is exactly great and hell i'm a Lakers fan but its facts we keep make terrible decisions and arrongatly think we the "lakers" so it means we'll get FA's

Reply #692791 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yinka, they should do that just for the potential Doncic+Pop combo. Fox would be a bonus.

Reply #692807 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Kings giving up pick 2 and fox for a 1 year rental of Kawhi would be a very Kings thing to do.

Reply #692811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a great idea and ferd is right - that sounds like the Kings. Doncic is never going to play D like Kawhi but that's the best remotely viable scenario I've heard for a trade

Reply #692888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will almost certainly be dealt to Boston or Philly. Most likely Boston.

Reply #692890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754