start a discussion
Years ago

rule clarification

in a non fully timed game -

after a time out - the clock restarts (bar the last 3 minutes)
straight away.

Not after foul shots.

so -
time out, clock stops
time in clock starts
foul shots happen with clock running

yes / no

I am pretty sure the above is correct

Topic #4364 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

that is correct, but very few do it that way

Reply #50587 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Correct - the way to think of it is if there wasn't a time out, would the clock be stopped?

Obviously, in the last 3 minutes of a 1 hour (div 2 & below) district game, the clock would remain stopped for the FT's.

Reply #50588 | Report this post

bearcatts  
Years ago

My understanding is that the clock does not stop on a score in the last 3 minutes, but some scorers insist that it does.

What is the actual rule?

Reply #50595 | Report this post

RJ's Groupie  
Years ago

Nope clock only stops when the whistle is blown.

Reply #50614 | Report this post

Jennings  
Years ago

sum 1 tell mat peppecelli.. ha ha told u i was right.. clock starts when the player has the ball taking his first foul shot

Reply #50645 | Report this post

A Ref  
Years ago

I was under the assumption that when a time out is called and the clock stopped then the live ball rule come into play.
In that rule the clock does not start again until the ball becomes live.
So in the case of foul shots the ball becomes live (and the clock started) either on the rebound of the second shot or the inbound pass after the second shot is successful.

The rules that we currently play by state that the clock doesn't stop after a score but I have heard that in the last two minutes of a final the clock is stopped after the score
In summary for those who can't read by my logic (and often I can't) yes there is a rule but not in our rules that we follow so the clock does NOT stop after a score.

Reply #50700 | Report this post

it's a long story  
Years ago

championship rules the clock stops on a score - but not local "fully timed" games.

reason -

if a team is really working and catching up with say 4 seconds left - if they score the inbounding team - who may only be up by a point - can hold the ball out of court for 5 seconds before a violation - so the game ends with a player holding the ball on an inbound play off scoring.

very technical and probably too much for mum and dad scorer - but i can understand why they stop it on scores

Reply #50717 | Report this post

Another Umpire  
Years ago

"I was under the assumption that when a time out is called and the clock stopped then the live ball rule come into play.
In that rule the clock does not start again until the ball becomes live.
So in the case of foul shots the ball becomes live (and the clock started) either on the rebound of the second shot or the inbound pass after the second shot is successful."

I was looking around and cleaning stuff around the house today when I came across my rule book. And looked for this rule.

Article 19 Status of the ball
19.1 The ball becomes live when:

• During a jump ball, the ball is legally tapped by a jumper

• During a free throw, an official places the ball at the disposal of the free-throw shooter

• During a throw-in, the ball is at the disposal of the player for the throw in

Any other clarification while I can still find my rule book :P

Hopefully my bullet points worked also :P

Reply #50896 | Report this post

so - if the ball is live, why is the clock stopped?

5 seconds to shoot - per shot - on foul shots

Reply #50897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Wed 1 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754