Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Sixers Oct21 Game Thread

Last season GF rematch. What more can you say?

The NBL have gifted Melbourne a home game for their only game this round. Sixers had a game on Friday night, but it was only against the Kings. They will have the less fresh legs.

Should be a very interesting game. The Boone-DJ battle will be a cracker. Boonie had DJ's measure of late so it will be interesting to see if DJ can get one back. DJ obviously more mobile, but the Boonester more hungry for boards.

We all know old mate Floppsy43 will spend as much time chucking up a 3 off a moving screen as he does on the floor, as well as wrapping his opponent up. The starting 5's are probably going to come out even.

This game should be tight, with a few 0-10 and 10-0 runs, but I think the game will be won off the bench by the arc shooters.

My heart says Sixers, but head says a bevvie of 3's to Melbourne will see them steal this one in the end.

Topic #44101 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

If we shoot something like Friday nite , we will win.... if shots roll around and fall out ... then Melbourne will win ...

Reply #709975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This result could come down to a one on one flop-off between Goulding and Sobey. Whoever can successfully out flop the other could be the one to drag their team over the line. Albeit by dragging their team in reverse over the baseline and into the advertising signs.

Reply #709979 | Report this post

36ers wont shoot again like they did on Friday night.

Reply #709991 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Melb might bring us back down to Earth a bit today.

United by 8 points

Reply #709995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope I'm wrong but
Melbourne > daylight > Adelaide

Reply #709996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have not played that well this season, if DJ keeps going the way he has been, Adelaide by 6.

Reply #709998 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Melbourne to win

Reply #710008 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Loving Anstey on the mic

Reply #710017 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Trying to watch the game on 9GO with a Belgian ale.

Homicide on commentary.

Might need something a little stronger.

Honey bourbon here I come.

Reply #710024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey has really improved quite a bit imo

Reply #710027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sober looks like a different player this season. So focused and composed. Loving it.

Reply #710028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey insane.

This is why I like Drmic and why he shouldn't just settle for the 3. Got a good slashing game.

Reply #710031 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Reply #710033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiley just looks like the kind of bloke that will cop an ejection at some stage of the year

Reply #710034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf is with calling all these soft ass fouls

Reply #710035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffing in this league is insufferable.

Reply #710036 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

One thing I am liking this year is the re-orientation of the court at Melbourne Arena. I always felt it was a bit strange how the baketball and netball courts were set up across the building rather than length ways like the tennis court is. The change in direction makes for better spectator viewing IMO.

Reply #710037 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Has anyone told Anstey that he's supposed to talk into the mic?

Reply #710038 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Geez there have been some very soft fouls called in this game so far.....

Reply #710041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game of soccer on Fox

Reply #710042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good goal

Reply #710043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice putt in the golf

Reply #710044 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Interesting last 30 seconds. Had a bit of everything. Solid drive, nice putt and a good goal.

Reply #710045 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Where the nbl go? Im starting to get teed off

Reply #710046 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Crappy soccer and boring golf. Thanks foxtel.
Game back now.

Reply #710048 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Homicide could actually be right about Sydney making finals but it helps that at this stage NZ don't look finals bound.

Reply #710049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why you watch it in 9Go ;)

Reply #710050 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

melbourne United was suppose to be about bringing the Victorian fans onboard.

Not the Victorian Refs

Reply #710052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reason not to watch it on 9Go is to get more than a quarter of the pixels

Reply #710054 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , those watching other things miss out on that free cheeseburger ....

Reply #710056 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Check your coaxial or HDMI cables anon 9Go is perfect not one pixel for me.

Reply #710057 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Goulding actually didn't flop!!

Reply #710061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding survived the Filo's, he'll be fine

Reply #710062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha I love Drmic.

Reply #710063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike? This league lol.

Reply #710064 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

He played the ball, not sure how it can be unsportsmanlike

Reply #710065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb foul there by Kennedy

Reply #710067 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Funnily enough the softer one was more of an unsportsmanlike by the way of the rule

Reply #710068 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Clearly off Barlow

Reply #710071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson swapped pivot foot to create contact with ware. Maybe they should look at that rather than the finger tip

Reply #710072 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually those angles didn't look like it

Reply #710073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that a back court violation...?

Reply #710074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding refuses the shake Drmics hand lol

Reply #710075 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

How was that not back court though?

Reply #710077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know the rules any more

Reply #710080 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Did vickerman call timeout then waive the timeout so they could pass it back over half court?

Good old frank drimic!!!

Reply #710081 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Should have been a back court violation.

Reply #710082 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Wasn't it a foul in the front court then sideline ball? Can you then pass it back in to the back court after that?

Reply #710083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA can pass it into the back court, not sure if fibs rules have changed, you didn't used to be allowed to. I have a feeling they changed it though

Reply #710088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any idea where I can learn the rules of the NBL? It's not posted up on their website. I thought you couldn't inbound to the back court at all, but I haven't read the rules in a long time.

Reply #710090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have been a back court violation

Reply #710092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 5.000 attendance .
Where are the fans .

Reply #710093 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Pretty sure I heard an ump explaining to a player earlier in the game that they couldn't pass into the back court. Then that - baffling? Why is Joey not jumping up and down screaming?

Reply #710095 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Great game. As a neutral fan i thought it was highly entertaining to watch. Sobey looks to have gone next level this year

Reply #710098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok had to read the updated 2018 rules and FIBA turned half a page on "Ball returned to back court" violation into 3 pages with examples trying to explain the rule and I'm still confused.

http://www.fiba.basketball/documents/official-basketball-rules/official-interpretations.pdf

Reply #710100 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The attendance appeared to be pretty large from my view, curious what it actually was. Being there is have guessed 6-7k.

Johnson and Wiley defending Goulding and Ware outside, very interesting tactic. Meant Boone and Kennedy punishes Adelaide.

Johnson offensively needed to stop trying to back down and twist for a fade away shot and front up for a properly weighted jump shot.

Reply #710103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game. Watched on Foxtel and Dwayne Russell is horrendous as a commentator. And the refs haven't improved one iota this year. All about them again.

Reply #710118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To hard to guard, was back to, to hard to make a bucket.

Reply #710121 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Barlow shelling peas.....

Reply #710122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers wont make playoffs. Book it.

Reply #710140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see that Adelaide are rewarded for flailing around in the key by getting double the amount of free throw attempts. Again. On the road.

Reply #710141 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ridiculous conclusion

Reply #710143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How soft is Goulding. 100% cotton.

Reply #710151 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Yep, umps continue to pull out howlers no matter what team, what stadium or reffing combo. Do they not watch game footage to learn from their howlers? Agree with the comment re Daniel Johnson fading too much. Thought the 36ers D was horrible on the rotation when United ran high pick and roll time after time. Gave up too many easy lay ups.... Dwayne Russell, not every play needs to be called/commentated like it is the match winning play or was the most spectacular thing ever. Man our commentators need to watch a few NBA games to hear how measured and controlled they are in calling the play. Much more balanced! Don't worry, 36ers will be in the play offs..... ;)

Reply #710156 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Agree, not every player is a star and not every play is amazing.

Reply #710185 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed, the defence was awful, it almost looked as if Adelaide was trying to coax United into going for easy layups next to the basket against Drimic/Moore rather Ware or Goulding shooting threes.

In that sense, at half time Ware and Goulding had about 6pts between them, but in the process they gave high percentage easy baskets on just about every play. Astonishing stuff that Adelaide weren't down badly at the half given that, and the lack of DJ offence.

Reply #710187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting up the rules, other anon!

Reply #710226 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Vickerman will be thinking about one step at a time. This was an ugly, scrappy win, but defense and rebounding were good.

In some ways United is lucky to be 2-1, since they've won two tight ones.

United would appear to have plenty of upside- they're 2-1 and aren't playing all that well. Casper's shooting 23% and averaging 3.7 turnovers a game.

Long term, I expect this season will be similar to the past couple- they need Casper and CG making big plays if they're to repeat as champions. That didn't happen yesterday, but they still managed to win.

Reply #710252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Deleon was off for sure this game, but nobody calling out Casper for 5 points in 37 mins? I think people need to remember, Deleon is a role player, not brought in to star every game.

Reply #710271 | Report this post

Goulding refusing to shake hands with Drmic trying to apologise to him is weak as piss. Proper schoolyard stuff.

Reply #710306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding defence in the three at start of yesterday's game is concerning, got dragged but didn’t winge. McCarron looks good in the two as well.

Reply #710318 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Gets even better with Goulding, Melbourne have requested NBL to look at the incident.

From the 36ers website:

The NBL Game Review Panel is reviewing the incident that occurred between Anthony Drmic and Chris Goulding, following a request from Melbourne United.

Drmic's elbow caught Goulding during the final term of the Sixers' loss to United in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

The Adelaide 36ers will have 24 hours to respond to the Game Review Panel. Following the submission, the NBL will then have 48 hours to deliberate.

Reply #710319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really is like the schoolyard with Goulding "telling on" Drmic.

Reply #710324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:51 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754