LC
Last year

2018/19 NCAA Season: Aussie Men & Women

College basketball is back today!

The women's contingent has never been bigger or deeper (83 women!!), while without Jock Landale and Co who have graduated, 2018/19 has a new look for the men.

Full List of Aussies

Lists containing every Aussie in DI college hoops this season, including links to profiles, teams and conferences.

NCAA Men: 2018/19 Division I

NCAA Women: 2018/19 Division I

Preseason Lists

NCAA Men: All-Australian Preseason Top 10

NCAA Women: All-Australian Preseason Top 10

NCAA Men: Top 5 Aussie Freshmen 2018/19

NCAA Women: 2018/19 Top 5 Freshmen

Topic #44228 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Last year

Great lists. Lots of SA kids. Big challenge is to trend these numbers up!!!

Seems to be a lot of talent beginning to popup at Norwood. I'm hearing their U18 side has 3 Aussie squad reps, and some other AusCamp level and state level kids in their side. Not sure a team has had this level of U18 talent before from Adelaide. Classics favourites? Certainly D1 College prospects.

Looking forward to seeing this team play locally too. Great to see the Flames getting it done in the player development space.

Reply #714228 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Last year

A trend upwards will require investment, or reinvestment or redirection of investment, to increase the young player's presence and the state's overall footprint to enable improved and new synergies to launch from new platforms.

Reply #714233 | Report this post

AKA  
Last year

Great work by all at pickandroll.com to put this together each year. Damian does a fantastic job!

Reply #714244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Yep, agreed - kudos to folks at pickandroll.com.au for making this available each year!!

Reply #714264 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Last year

great first up game from Jack White for Duke 9pts,11reb and 3 ast.

Reply #714389 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

A number of old and new faces made a positive impression on the opening day of the 2018/19 NCAA Division I basketball season, with all eyes on Australian Jack White who stepped out as co-captain of one of the most famous college basketball programs in the US.

NCAA Men: Jack White is the perfect 'glue-guy' for the Blue Devils

Some great performances by the Aussie men!

Reply #714441 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Australian pair Alanna Smith and Tiana Mangakahia have been named to a 30-player selection consisting of the best in women's college basketball as the preseason Wooden Award watch list for the All-American team and national player of the year was unveiled this week.

NCAA Women: Smith and Mangakahia shortlisted for Wooden Award

Reply #714694 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

A stacked Aussie freshman class has already shown its wares in the first two days of the women's college season. A number of players got their debut starts, and a couple are ensuring they will not be giving that starting spot up anytime soon, with outstanding debut performances. However, players like Courtney Woods and Funda Nakkasoglu showed that it’s not all about the newcomers this year, and displayed some outstanding scoring performances.

NCAA Women: Woods dominates, newcomers fire in season openers

Reply #715051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

38 points and 12 rebounds by Courtney Woods!!!

Reply #715194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Yaeger v Mangakahia
Oregon(3) v Syracuse(18) on now oregon livestream.

Reply #715431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Mangakahia still a turnover machine

Reply #715436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Keep an eye on Hay. Good first game for Santa Clara.

Reply #715440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Is Mangakahia the oldest player in the NCAA ?

Reply #715742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Don't think so.
Plenty of others born in 95 who are seniors or grads.

Reply #715761 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Hay has had two good games now!

Reply #715944 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Syracuse's Tiana Mangakahia Has A WNBA Future, Whenever She Wants It

It's the kind of season that draws attention from WNBA talent evaluators. In consecutive games, Mangakahia went up against Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon and Chennedy Carter of Texas A&M. She held her own against Ionescu, and was clearly, to my eyes, the superior player to Carter in Westchester. Overall, she averaged 20.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 6.5 assists and shot 55.6 percent from the field over those two showcase games.

Reply #717812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Hay is a terrible defender though from what I've seen.

Nakkasoglu doing pretty good too but obviously has made her allegiance with turkey.

Reply #717834 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Reply #717846 | Report this post

ColCon  
Last year

Funda Nakkasoglu currently leading scorer in the SEC and equal 20th in D1 overall. Very strong start to the season.

From anon ~834 above: "obviously has made her allegiance with turkey" My understanding is that the Turkish national team invited her train with them (which she did) but she has never played for them. If she received the same offer from the Opals to train with them then I would say she would be open to that. I wouldn't be assuming that she has more allegiance to Turkey than Aust, just that Turkey offered her a training/experience opportunity that she took. She is very focussed on her game and professional in her approach and is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Reply #717851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Don't be getting over excited here, the competition isn’t that strong and neither Mangakahia or Nakkasoglu are in stand out teams

Reply #717881 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

May not be in standout teams, but they are starring against standout players and teams.

Reply #717887 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Turkish delight as Funda Nakkasoglu switches allegiance

...does not completely close the door on future Australian selection for Nakkasoglu, as she is yet to play a competitive fixture for Turkey. However if the Victorian is selected for the Olympic squad or in any other competitive fixtures, it will mean that she could no longer represent Australia.

Reply #717890 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Last year

Thanks for this.

Wow, I didn't realise how many players we had over there! Especially the women. Would they all be on full scholarships? Even those at the div 2 colleges?

Will admit I don't know what the quality difference is like, but if there's so many players who've spent so much time playing basketball, shouldn't that be a good thing for the depth of our local pro leagues when they come back? You get 2-5 back each year and that's more than enough to fill up a couple more expansion teams.

Reply #717925 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

A trio of Aussie men have been lighting up the box scores in US college basketball over the past week, with Jesse Hunt, Dejan Vasiljevic and Cameron Healy all compiling some big scoring games (not to mention Jacob Rigoni either).

NCAA Men: Hunt, Vasiljevic and Healy lighting it up

Reply #717964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Tiana with the buzzer beater to win in OT.

Reply #718679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Waves2Lynx generally the best D2 teams in each conference can beat a low end D1 team. Yes the players at D2 get full rides.

Reply #718689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

I was at the Oregon v Syracuse game, it was the highest standard basketball I have ever watched live.

Tiana was absolutely outstanding, best Australian guard by a margin in my view.

Reply #719195 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

The Australian presence in NCAA Division I women's basketball looks set to continue to swell, with no less than 23 players signing with college programs during this week’s early signing period.

NCAA Women: Giant Aussie class makes it official during early signing period

Reply #719196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

K.Stamatopoulos 5'8 Colorado State
E.Sawyer 5'9 Austin Peay
C.Drennan 5'9 California State Northridge
C.Jones 5'9 Idaho
I.Lopes 5'9 Clemson
J.Shelley 5'9 Oregon
J.Cadee 5'9 UC Irvine
T.Manumaleuga 5'9 Arizona (Now a Kiwi)
E.Brett 5'10 Bowling Green
A.Watkinson 5'10 Mount Saint Marys
S.Ayres 5'10 Marquette
K.Frawley 6'1 Portland
R.Schweizer 6'1 George Mason
M.Puli 6'2 TCU
I.Bourne 6'2 Nebraska
H.Hank 6'2 Clemson
E.Hollingsworth 6'2 Gonzaga
I.Ayliffe 6'2 Saint Joseph's
S.Locandro 6'3 UC Irvine
A.Fuller 6'3 Davidson
M.Jefferson 6'3 Virginia
C.Bloom 6'3 Oklahoma
A.Hannan 6'4 Texas
L.Cochrane 6'5 Oregon

Probably see another 10 signings I reckon.

Some players on the list had much better offers but chose to go down a different path. Not sure why...

Reply #719204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Better offers is completely subjective

Reply #719207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Maybe they wanted to be sure they'd play? Or maybe it was a school course situation

Reply #719211 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Mangakahia wins ACC Player of the Week

(and could be considered unlucky not to win ESPNW POTW as well, considering the player who won it is also in the ACC)

Reply #719256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Smith put up 30 yesterday.

Reply #719264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Why did Maley not have to sit out a season after transferring to TCU ??

Reply #719315 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

With a number of teams playing in early season tournaments this week, there was plenty of opportunity for Aussies to rack up a number of outstanding performances in the one weekend, and players like Tiana Mangakahia, Alanna Smith, and Shannon Dufficy duly obliged on their trips away. Elsewhere, Northwestern freshman Jess Sancataldo popped up with an unexpected but welcome 20-point performance off the bench for the Wildcats.

NCAA Women: Mangakahia picks up ACC Player of the Week

Reply #719622 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

39 points to Ahlise Hurst today in a Lobos win against Oklahoma!

TCU star Kouat Noi with a new career-high 27 points in a win.

Reply #719736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Froling averaging 14 points and 12 rebounds in her senior season so far.

Reply #719747 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Reply #720911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Courtney Woods - Northern Illinois - torn acl , out for the season. Will return for 5th year.

Reply #720916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Wow, she's vital for that team.

Reply #720927 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Last year

Hope Perth are keeping an eye on Hunt. Wagstaff and Hire aren't getting any younger.

Reply #720929 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Yeah - terrible news for Woods. She was having a great start too.

Reply #720950 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Forward Jordan Hunter provided the spark that help power Saint Mary's to a fourth straight win, while Cameron Healy, Jesse Hunt and Kouat Noi also maintained their consistent output to open the college basketball season. However it was not all good news this week, with Deng Gak ruled out for the season with a serious knee injury.

NCAA Men: Jordan Hunter sparks Gaels to fourth straight win

There was plenty to be happy about given the performances of Australians this week, but that was tempered by the week’s biggest news - the loss of Northern Illinois senior Courtney Woods to an ACL injury, continuing what has been an unfortunate theme of the last couple of seasons among Australian players.

NCAA Women: Ortlepp fires, Woods out for season

Reply #722374 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Reply #723147 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Such great recognition! Beating Baylor surely helped too :)

Reply #723149 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Tiana Mangakahia's assists are down from last year, but she has improved — and so has Syracuse

Although Mangakahia is scoring fewer points and dishing out fewer assists this season, she is scoring more efficiently and committing fewer turnovers than a season ago. Through Syracuse’s first 11 games, she is making the same number of field goals per game as last season on one fewer shot attempt. She is scoring 1.14 points per scoring attempt this season, up from 1.08 last year, and shooting 4.7 percentage points better from the field. She has also cut her turnovers by over a third, from 5.7 per game last season (which ranked dead last in the NCAA) to 3.6 per game this season. As a result, her assist-to-turnover ratio has actually improved from 1.73 to 2.10 this season, which ranks in the top ten percent of players nationally. (It also probably makes her a better WNBA prospect.)

Reply #723312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

how do you think tiana will go at the next level luuuc?
Wnbl, possibly wnba.

Reply #723361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

228 you are dreaming lol

Reply #723376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

how do you think tiana will go at the next level luuuc?
Wnbl, possibly wnba.

I find it hard to judge because I only see highlights, and so many of their opposing teams are pretty bad. I've got to think that a WNBL starting spot is in her future (assuming that is something she is into, as opposed to chasing spot in Europe).
It's such a small number of players who make it onto WNBA rosters, especially foreigners, especially at 5'6, so my default guess for that is no.

Reply #723379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

5'6 means nothing.

Mitchell is 5'5.
Our brightest young pg who looks the be Rocci is only 5'6 also.
Most of the best international pgs outside of the states are 5'6 and under.

Reply #723380 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

All I meant was that it means something to WNBA scouts/GMs. For them it's another mark in the "cons" column.
Not that it's impossible to overcome, as Mitchell has proven, and Mo Jefferson, but you need to be that extra bit better to compensate for it.

For other leagues it's not an issue.

Reply #723381 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

With a number of teams taking the week off for exams, this could have been a slow week in college basketball. But with Alanna Smith securing ESPN's National Player of the Week award after leading Stanford to victory over the previously undefeated Baylor, and a number of Aussies putting in outstanding efforts elsewhere, there was no shortage of excitement around the country.

NCAA Women: Alanna Smith named ESPN’s National Player of the Week

Reply #723465 | Report this post

anon  
Last year

wait till they get back from college and actually start playing against women before you go planning their future prospects, so many look great at a college level depending on just who they have to play against, the college level is not filled with super strong teams in every conference from 1st to 10th, most have one or two at best who dominate, UConn is a classic example, yes they are a great team with a great coach, but they play in a crap conference , always have, they smash every team they play in that conference, yet come to the big dance, which again they get that initial easy ride through on rankings, they dont smash any, its a usually a good even comp. Same goes for every other conference, ACC,SEC etc, most only have a few strong teams, so putting any player on a 'wnba'radar simply because they rack numbers up in the team they are in is very premature, just how many players that come out of that college system ever make an impact at the WNBA level even when drafted high, Stewart is an exceptional and their have been a few others, but seriously Mangakahia is not even on the same page as Stewarts level, hell Smith as good as she is and has been an Opal will be lucky to get a run in WNBA her first few years if she takes that draft up.
As for WNBL, Mangakahia would not be walking into a starting WNBL spot on any team lol.

Reply #723481 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

George Blagojevic is in a rich vein of career-best form for Hartford as he earned America East Player of the Week honours, while Jesse Hunt, Kouat Noi and Dejan Vasiljevic maintained their momentum across the past week in college basketball.

NCAA Men: George Blagojevic in career-best form

Reply #723617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Alanna smith with another great game.
30 / 13 / 5 / 3

Avg 19.4 / 6.7 / 2.8 / 1.7 / 58.5%fg / 68.3%ft / 50.9%3pt

Reply #723902 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

^ That's a hell of a stat line today in a team that scored 62

Reply #723943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Needs more rebounds at centre for Stanford and needs to boost her ft percentage.
Too many potential pfs ahead of her atm in the draft. Anigwe, Gustafson etc.

Currently a late draft pick. Hope her form continues.

Reply #723947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last year

Palmer signs with Texas. Joins Hannan next year.

That's another 30 women signed for next year D1.

Reply #724587 | Report this post

LC  
Earlier this month

Fresh off winning ESPN's National Player of the Week, Alanna Smith showed no signs of slowing down leading into Christmas with a match-winning performance for Stanford against Buffalo.

NCAA Women: Smith, Johnson each explode for 30

Mason Peatling’s return from injury has helped power Eastern Washington to a positive start in 2019, while Cameron Healy and Adam Lulka continued their impressive freshman seasons for Albany as the Australian men in US College basketball entered the New Year in positive fashion.

NCAA Men: Mason Peatling powers Eagles into the New Year

Reply #725602 | Report this post

LC  
Last week

Kouat Noi has had a big opening to 2019 with TCU, dropping a massive career-high against Oklahoma, while Jordan Heading helped the Cal Baptist Lancers maintain their impressive Division I debut season.

NCAA Men: Kouat Noi drops 30 against the Sooners

Reply #728395 | Report this post

LC  
Last week

Alanna Smith and Tiana Mangakahia continue to blaze a trail through college basketball, with the pair playing some of the best basketball in the nation for their respective teams. This week, that outstanding play resulted in both players being awarded conference Player of the Week awards, whilst Tia Hay and Shannon Dufficy must have been in the conversation in their own respective conferences.

NCAA Women: Mangakahia and Smith earn conference Player of the Week awards

Reply #728446 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last week

Chloe Bibby injured in today's game. Fingers crossed it's not the dreaded 3 letters.

Reply #729059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Another Aussie injured.
Got to be 4-5 major injuries for the season.

Reply #729066 | Report this post

ANON  
Last week

Doesn't look good if she was screaming in pain, she’s a tough nut Bibby , be an absolute shame if it’s a season ending injury , she’s in great form right now

Reply #729123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Some players so dominant in state champs have become non factors in college.

Reply #729126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Most freshmen sit their first year, more so if they are not American if they are in a good Div1 team, fact is most imports take a back seat to USA born college kids until they work their way in, some never do.
Just had this conversation yesterday about the USA college system, it's not all it’s hyped up to be for many kids, but a few find their feet, mainly in the lower div or lower ranked colleges though.

Reply #729163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

For sure.
Horvat sitting at the end of the bench late in her sophomore year for ucla. Not sure she will ever get big minutes playing behind other sophomores and freshman.
Maley left 2 programs.

Reply #729169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Hopefully Maley is okay and things come together for her. She seems like a good kid but the AIS, Oregon and now TCU haven't worked out.

Reply #729388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Maybe she'll be in the wnbl next season.

Reply #729389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Within the hour

Hope so

Reply #729446 | Report this post

Reply to this topic

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Triton 12

Rules:You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets

Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Close ads
Casual 3X3 sessions, Saturdays 2-5pm at St Clair Rec Centre
SportsLink Travel - Official Tour Provider for Basketball Australia
Dunk.com.au - Custom basketball uniforms
PickStar - The best place to book sports stars

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

Invoicing clients? Stay productive with Punch, the insightful time tracker that earns you more.

Special offer: $30/month Pay $100 for lifetime access. Sign up now!

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 am, Sun 20 Jan 2019 | Posts: 755,818 | Last 7 days: 1,667