LC
Years ago

2018/19 NCAA Season: Aussie Men & Women

College basketball is back today!

The women's contingent has never been bigger or deeper (83 women!!), while without Jock Landale and Co who have graduated, 2018/19 has a new look for the men.

Full List of Aussies

Lists containing every Aussie in DI college hoops this season, including links to profiles, teams and conferences.

NCAA Men: 2018/19 Division I

NCAA Women: 2018/19 Division I

Preseason Lists

NCAA Men: All-Australian Preseason Top 10

NCAA Women: All-Australian Preseason Top 10

NCAA Men: Top 5 Aussie Freshmen 2018/19

NCAA Women: 2018/19 Top 5 Freshmen

Topic #44228 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great lists. Lots of SA kids. Big challenge is to trend these numbers up!!!

Seems to be a lot of talent beginning to popup at Norwood. I'm hearing their U18 side has 3 Aussie squad reps, and some other AusCamp level and state level kids in their side. Not sure a team has had this level of U18 talent before from Adelaide. Classics favourites? Certainly D1 College prospects.

Looking forward to seeing this team play locally too. Great to see the Flames getting it done in the player development space.

Reply #714228 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

A trend upwards will require investment, or reinvestment or redirection of investment, to increase the young player's presence and the state's overall footprint to enable improved and new synergies to launch from new platforms.

Reply #714233 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Great work by all at pickandroll.com to put this together each year. Damian does a fantastic job!

Reply #714244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, agreed - kudos to folks at pickandroll.com.au for making this available each year!!

Reply #714264 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

great first up game from Jack White for Duke 9pts,11reb and 3 ast.

Reply #714389 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A number of old and new faces made a positive impression on the opening day of the 2018/19 NCAA Division I basketball season, with all eyes on Australian Jack White who stepped out as co-captain of one of the most famous college basketball programs in the US.

NCAA Men: Jack White is the perfect 'glue-guy' for the Blue Devils

Some great performances by the Aussie men!

Reply #714441 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australian pair Alanna Smith and Tiana Mangakahia have been named to a 30-player selection consisting of the best in women's college basketball as the preseason Wooden Award watch list for the All-American team and national player of the year was unveiled this week.

NCAA Women: Smith and Mangakahia shortlisted for Wooden Award

Reply #714694 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A stacked Aussie freshman class has already shown its wares in the first two days of the women's college season. A number of players got their debut starts, and a couple are ensuring they will not be giving that starting spot up anytime soon, with outstanding debut performances. However, players like Courtney Woods and Funda Nakkasoglu showed that it’s not all about the newcomers this year, and displayed some outstanding scoring performances.

NCAA Women: Woods dominates, newcomers fire in season openers

Reply #715051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

38 points and 12 rebounds by Courtney Woods!!!

Reply #715194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yaeger v Mangakahia
Oregon(3) v Syracuse(18) on now oregon livestream.

Reply #715431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mangakahia still a turnover machine

Reply #715436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep an eye on Hay. Good first game for Santa Clara.

Reply #715440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Mangakahia the oldest player in the NCAA ?

Reply #715742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think so.
Plenty of others born in 95 who are seniors or grads.

Reply #715761 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hay has had two good games now!

Reply #715944 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Syracuse's Tiana Mangakahia Has A WNBA Future, Whenever She Wants It

It's the kind of season that draws attention from WNBA talent evaluators. In consecutive games, Mangakahia went up against Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon and Chennedy Carter of Texas A&M. She held her own against Ionescu, and was clearly, to my eyes, the superior player to Carter in Westchester. Overall, she averaged 20.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 6.5 assists and shot 55.6 percent from the field over those two showcase games.

Reply #717812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hay is a terrible defender though from what I've seen.

Nakkasoglu doing pretty good too but obviously has made her allegiance with turkey.

Reply #717834 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #717846 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

Funda Nakkasoglu currently leading scorer in the SEC and equal 20th in D1 overall. Very strong start to the season.

From anon ~834 above: "obviously has made her allegiance with turkey" My understanding is that the Turkish national team invited her train with them (which she did) but she has never played for them. If she received the same offer from the Opals to train with them then I would say she would be open to that. I wouldn't be assuming that she has more allegiance to Turkey than Aust, just that Turkey offered her a training/experience opportunity that she took. She is very focussed on her game and professional in her approach and is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Reply #717851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be getting over excited here, the competition isn’t that strong and neither Mangakahia or Nakkasoglu are in stand out teams

Reply #717881 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

May not be in standout teams, but they are starring against standout players and teams.

Reply #717887 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Turkish delight as Funda Nakkasoglu switches allegiance

...does not completely close the door on future Australian selection for Nakkasoglu, as she is yet to play a competitive fixture for Turkey. However if the Victorian is selected for the Olympic squad or in any other competitive fixtures, it will mean that she could no longer represent Australia.

Reply #717890 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Thanks for this.

Wow, I didn't realise how many players we had over there! Especially the women. Would they all be on full scholarships? Even those at the div 2 colleges?

Will admit I don't know what the quality difference is like, but if there's so many players who've spent so much time playing basketball, shouldn't that be a good thing for the depth of our local pro leagues when they come back? You get 2-5 back each year and that's more than enough to fill up a couple more expansion teams.

Reply #717925 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A trio of Aussie men have been lighting up the box scores in US college basketball over the past week, with Jesse Hunt, Dejan Vasiljevic and Cameron Healy all compiling some big scoring games (not to mention Jacob Rigoni either).

NCAA Men: Hunt, Vasiljevic and Healy lighting it up

Reply #717964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiana with the buzzer beater to win in OT.

Reply #718679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waves2Lynx generally the best D2 teams in each conference can beat a low end D1 team. Yes the players at D2 get full rides.

Reply #718689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the Oregon v Syracuse game, it was the highest standard basketball I have ever watched live.

Tiana was absolutely outstanding, best Australian guard by a margin in my view.

Reply #719195 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Australian presence in NCAA Division I women's basketball looks set to continue to swell, with no less than 23 players signing with college programs during this week’s early signing period.

NCAA Women: Giant Aussie class makes it official during early signing period

Reply #719196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

K.Stamatopoulos 5'8 Colorado State
E.Sawyer 5'9 Austin Peay
C.Drennan 5'9 California State Northridge
C.Jones 5'9 Idaho
I.Lopes 5'9 Clemson
J.Shelley 5'9 Oregon
J.Cadee 5'9 UC Irvine
T.Manumaleuga 5'9 Arizona (Now a Kiwi)
E.Brett 5'10 Bowling Green
A.Watkinson 5'10 Mount Saint Marys
S.Ayres 5'10 Marquette
K.Frawley 6'1 Portland
R.Schweizer 6'1 George Mason
M.Puli 6'2 TCU
I.Bourne 6'2 Nebraska
H.Hank 6'2 Clemson
E.Hollingsworth 6'2 Gonzaga
I.Ayliffe 6'2 Saint Joseph's
S.Locandro 6'3 UC Irvine
A.Fuller 6'3 Davidson
M.Jefferson 6'3 Virginia
C.Bloom 6'3 Oklahoma
A.Hannan 6'4 Texas
L.Cochrane 6'5 Oregon

Probably see another 10 signings I reckon.

Some players on the list had much better offers but chose to go down a different path. Not sure why...

Reply #719204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better offers is completely subjective

Reply #719207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they wanted to be sure they'd play? Or maybe it was a school course situation

Reply #719211 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mangakahia wins ACC Player of the Week

(and could be considered unlucky not to win ESPNW POTW as well, considering the player who won it is also in the ACC)

Reply #719256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith put up 30 yesterday.

Reply #719264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Maley not have to sit out a season after transferring to TCU ??

Reply #719315 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With a number of teams playing in early season tournaments this week, there was plenty of opportunity for Aussies to rack up a number of outstanding performances in the one weekend, and players like Tiana Mangakahia, Alanna Smith, and Shannon Dufficy duly obliged on their trips away. Elsewhere, Northwestern freshman Jess Sancataldo popped up with an unexpected but welcome 20-point performance off the bench for the Wildcats.

NCAA Women: Mangakahia picks up ACC Player of the Week

Reply #719622 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

39 points to Ahlise Hurst today in a Lobos win against Oklahoma!

TCU star Kouat Noi with a new career-high 27 points in a win.

Reply #719736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling averaging 14 points and 12 rebounds in her senior season so far.

Reply #719747 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #720911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Courtney Woods - Northern Illinois - torn acl , out for the season. Will return for 5th year.

Reply #720916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, she's vital for that team.

Reply #720927 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hope Perth are keeping an eye on Hunt. Wagstaff and Hire aren't getting any younger.

Reply #720929 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - terrible news for Woods. She was having a great start too.

Reply #720950 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Forward Jordan Hunter provided the spark that help power Saint Mary's to a fourth straight win, while Cameron Healy, Jesse Hunt and Kouat Noi also maintained their consistent output to open the college basketball season. However it was not all good news this week, with Deng Gak ruled out for the season with a serious knee injury.

NCAA Men: Jordan Hunter sparks Gaels to fourth straight win

There was plenty to be happy about given the performances of Australians this week, but that was tempered by the week’s biggest news - the loss of Northern Illinois senior Courtney Woods to an ACL injury, continuing what has been an unfortunate theme of the last couple of seasons among Australian players.

NCAA Women: Ortlepp fires, Woods out for season

Reply #722374 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #723147 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Such great recognition! Beating Baylor surely helped too :)

Reply #723149 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tiana Mangakahia's assists are down from last year, but she has improved — and so has Syracuse

Although Mangakahia is scoring fewer points and dishing out fewer assists this season, she is scoring more efficiently and committing fewer turnovers than a season ago. Through Syracuse’s first 11 games, she is making the same number of field goals per game as last season on one fewer shot attempt. She is scoring 1.14 points per scoring attempt this season, up from 1.08 last year, and shooting 4.7 percentage points better from the field. She has also cut her turnovers by over a third, from 5.7 per game last season (which ranked dead last in the NCAA) to 3.6 per game this season. As a result, her assist-to-turnover ratio has actually improved from 1.73 to 2.10 this season, which ranks in the top ten percent of players nationally. (It also probably makes her a better WNBA prospect.)

Reply #723312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you think tiana will go at the next level luuuc?
Wnbl, possibly wnba.

Reply #723361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

228 you are dreaming lol

Reply #723376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

how do you think tiana will go at the next level luuuc?
Wnbl, possibly wnba.

I find it hard to judge because I only see highlights, and so many of their opposing teams are pretty bad. I've got to think that a WNBL starting spot is in her future (assuming that is something she is into, as opposed to chasing spot in Europe).
It's such a small number of players who make it onto WNBA rosters, especially foreigners, especially at 5'6, so my default guess for that is no.

Reply #723379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5'6 means nothing.

Mitchell is 5'5.
Our brightest young pg who looks the be Rocci is only 5'6 also.
Most of the best international pgs outside of the states are 5'6 and under.

Reply #723380 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

All I meant was that it means something to WNBA scouts/GMs. For them it's another mark in the "cons" column.
Not that it's impossible to overcome, as Mitchell has proven, and Mo Jefferson, but you need to be that extra bit better to compensate for it.

For other leagues it's not an issue.

Reply #723381 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With a number of teams taking the week off for exams, this could have been a slow week in college basketball. But with Alanna Smith securing ESPN's National Player of the Week award after leading Stanford to victory over the previously undefeated Baylor, and a number of Aussies putting in outstanding efforts elsewhere, there was no shortage of excitement around the country.

NCAA Women: Alanna Smith named ESPN’s National Player of the Week

Reply #723465 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wait till they get back from college and actually start playing against women before you go planning their future prospects, so many look great at a college level depending on just who they have to play against, the college level is not filled with super strong teams in every conference from 1st to 10th, most have one or two at best who dominate, UConn is a classic example, yes they are a great team with a great coach, but they play in a crap conference , always have, they smash every team they play in that conference, yet come to the big dance, which again they get that initial easy ride through on rankings, they dont smash any, its a usually a good even comp. Same goes for every other conference, ACC,SEC etc, most only have a few strong teams, so putting any player on a 'wnba'radar simply because they rack numbers up in the team they are in is very premature, just how many players that come out of that college system ever make an impact at the WNBA level even when drafted high, Stewart is an exceptional and their have been a few others, but seriously Mangakahia is not even on the same page as Stewarts level, hell Smith as good as she is and has been an Opal will be lucky to get a run in WNBA her first few years if she takes that draft up.
As for WNBL, Mangakahia would not be walking into a starting WNBL spot on any team lol.

Reply #723481 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

George Blagojevic is in a rich vein of career-best form for Hartford as he earned America East Player of the Week honours, while Jesse Hunt, Kouat Noi and Dejan Vasiljevic maintained their momentum across the past week in college basketball.

NCAA Men: George Blagojevic in career-best form

Reply #723617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alanna smith with another great game.
30 / 13 / 5 / 3

Avg 19.4 / 6.7 / 2.8 / 1.7 / 58.5%fg / 68.3%ft / 50.9%3pt

Reply #723902 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ That's a hell of a stat line today in a team that scored 62

Reply #723943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs more rebounds at centre for Stanford and needs to boost her ft percentage.
Too many potential pfs ahead of her atm in the draft. Anigwe, Gustafson etc.

Currently a late draft pick. Hope her form continues.

Reply #723947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Palmer signs with Texas. Joins Hannan next year.

That's another 30 women signed for next year D1.

Reply #724587 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fresh off winning ESPN's National Player of the Week, Alanna Smith showed no signs of slowing down leading into Christmas with a match-winning performance for Stanford against Buffalo.

NCAA Women: Smith, Johnson each explode for 30

Mason Peatling’s return from injury has helped power Eastern Washington to a positive start in 2019, while Cameron Healy and Adam Lulka continued their impressive freshman seasons for Albany as the Australian men in US College basketball entered the New Year in positive fashion.

NCAA Men: Mason Peatling powers Eagles into the New Year

Reply #725602 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kouat Noi has had a big opening to 2019 with TCU, dropping a massive career-high against Oklahoma, while Jordan Heading helped the Cal Baptist Lancers maintain their impressive Division I debut season.

NCAA Men: Kouat Noi drops 30 against the Sooners

Reply #728395 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Alanna Smith and Tiana Mangakahia continue to blaze a trail through college basketball, with the pair playing some of the best basketball in the nation for their respective teams. This week, that outstanding play resulted in both players being awarded conference Player of the Week awards, whilst Tia Hay and Shannon Dufficy must have been in the conversation in their own respective conferences.

NCAA Women: Mangakahia and Smith earn conference Player of the Week awards

Reply #728446 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Chloe Bibby injured in today's game. Fingers crossed it's not the dreaded 3 letters.

Reply #729059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Aussie injured.
Got to be 4-5 major injuries for the season.

Reply #729066 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Doesn't look good if she was screaming in pain, she’s a tough nut Bibby , be an absolute shame if it’s a season ending injury , she’s in great form right now

Reply #729123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some players so dominant in state champs have become non factors in college.

Reply #729126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most freshmen sit their first year, more so if they are not American if they are in a good Div1 team, fact is most imports take a back seat to USA born college kids until they work their way in, some never do.
Just had this conversation yesterday about the USA college system, it's not all it’s hyped up to be for many kids, but a few find their feet, mainly in the lower div or lower ranked colleges though.

Reply #729163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For sure.
Horvat sitting at the end of the bench late in her sophomore year for ucla. Not sure she will ever get big minutes playing behind other sophomores and freshman.
Maley left 2 programs.

Reply #729169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Maley is okay and things come together for her. She seems like a good kid but the AIS, Oregon and now TCU haven't worked out.

Reply #729388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe she'll be in the wnbl next season.

Reply #729389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope so

Reply #729446 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As the number of Australians in women's college basketball continues to rise, so too does the number of players producing at a high level not only relative to their countrywomen, but on a national level.

Names such as Alanna Smith and Tiana Mangakahia immediately jump to mind with the pair both considered WNBA prospects, but the list of players in contention for All-Australian selection runs far deeper than the ten players selected. With non-conference play having now wrapped up, we take a look at the top 10 Australian players as well as the top first-year student-athlete.

NCAA Women: Midseason All-Australian Awards

Reply #729720 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A lazy 34 & 15 for Alanna today. 4/5 from the perimeter takes her season 3P% to a ridiculous 50%

Reply #729723 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

She has been nothing short of amazing this season! A real contender for Pac-12 POY.

Reply #729759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the best conference too.

Reply #729766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Her average is now

21 points
8.4 rebounds
2.4 assists
2.4 blocks
57.1 fg
73.8 ft
50.5 3 pt%

Reply #729770 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Crazy numbers!

Reply #729804 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

While we were spoilt with a talent-laden class of 2017/18, this season a number of lesser-known Aussies have been making an impact across NCAA Division I ranks.

There may be no Jock Landale or Xavier Cooks, but we may well be unearthing a next generation of college stars from down under this season, with Cameron Healy the most impressive of the freshmen to date. Kouat Noi and Jack White are standing out on major programs, while a host of others have stepped up to experience career-best years. Subsequently we count down the Top 10 Aussies at the mid-point of the 2018/19 season.

NCAA Men: Midseason All-Australian Awards

Reply #729828 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

More Aussies are playing college basketball than ever before it seems.

Reply #729843 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Correct - record numbers of Aussie men and women.

Reply #729851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next season, another 35 women headed to college.

The amount of Men going to college sliding...
Simply not producing much talent on the men's side.
Seabl, state league and Nbl dp seem to be the go to options.

Reply #729853 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^, that's a crock, are you just making stuff up as you go......?

Every player has a choice based on what they want to do and try for themselves, that hasn't changed and won't change.

Reply #729951 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Stanford and Opals forward Alanna Smith was once again among the leading Australians in women's college basketball this week, with the senior edging her way firmly into the conversation for Pac-12 Player of the Year after some outstanding efforts. Elsewhere, Jade Johnson broke a school record in St. Francis’ win over local rivals LIU-Brooklyn, and Emily Fisher enjoyed a breakout weekend for American University.

Visit W3Schools!

Reply #730454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodchild vs Mangakahia
Duke vs Syracuse

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZVvErgoO8

Reply #731526 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whilst many of the usual suspects turned in some outstanding performances, a slightly unexpected name put everyone in the shade as Courtney Murphy continues to make up for lost time in her freshman season in Seattle. Murphy was one of a number of freshmen to shine this week, as Haylee Andrews continues to perform for Portland and Callie Bourne strengthens her grip on a starting spot for Idaho State.

NCAA Women: Murphy breaks Seattle's scoring record, leads team to first win

Reply #731769 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great article on Alanna Smith from the Stanford website

Into the Dust

Reply #731892 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The stars shone brightly once again this week as Alanna Smith, Tiana Mangkahia, Jade Johnson and Shannon Dufficy all delivered as the season approaches crunch time. A number of freshmen also produced, with Sam Simons pouring in 28 points for a new career-high and Haylee Andrews tying her career-high for assists.

NCAA Women: Smith picks up a third Pac-12 Player of the Week award

Reply #735280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ncaaw assist leaders. Both Aussies.

Reply #735283 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yup! Awesome isn't it?!

Reply #735284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure when tiana gets drafted, she will be called up to opals camp. Watched the last few syracuse games and she is so comfortable running the show.nreads the game very well.

Reply #735285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^
"I'm sure when tiana gets drafted, she will be called up to opals camp. Watched the last few syracuse games and she is so comfortable running the show.nreads the game very well."

Yes Dad ......

Reply #735334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure LC agrees with me, tiana should be in the opals camp.

Reply #735335 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tiana should have been selected to the Opals squad. Short-sighted omission.

Reply #735373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have seen her play live in the NCAA this season - she should be in the squad clearly.

And I have absolutely no connection to her.

Reply #735389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a great game today... too many turnovers for tiana.

Reply #735390 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Enormous game for Tiana today. 44 points (@ 80%!), 8 assists, 5 boards in their 94-88 win.

Boxscore

Reply #736015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they upload the game on YouTube.

Reply #736016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enormous game for Tiana today. 44 points (@ 80%!), 8 assists, 5 boards in their 94-88 win.

She was also the only one shooting........I'd say Florida State lost the game, more than Syracuse won it, obviously no defence at all if they can’t shut down the only player shooting the ball lol

Reply #736092 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"I'm just really proud of this team," FSU head coach Sue Semrau said. "We did not have an answer for their point guard. We played her different ways off the ball screens and she made us pay in every way. It would have been nice to have more bodies to put on her and she played a tremendous game, but I thought we did too."

Reply #736093 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

STANFORD, Calif. - Stanford senior Alanna Smith has been named the Pac-12 Women's Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Scholar and an Athlete

Smith is Stanford's fifth women's basketball awardee, joining Brittany McPhee (2017-18), Chiney Ogwumike (2013-14), Kayla Pedersen (2010-11) and Jayne Appel (2009-10).

Reply #736690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Alanna. Fantastic year for her and likely a top 10 pick in the draft.

Awesome to see 2 Aussies finish 1 and 2 in the NCAA in assists.
O'Neill with 8.5 and Mangakahia with 8.4 season average.

The commentators for the Syracuse v Boston college game also said that tiana would be trying out for the aus national team at the end of the season.
Thought it was odd that they knew that.

Reply #736728 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Very odd given she has yet to be included in the Opals squad! (even though she should be in it)

Reply #736755 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Stanford upsets Oregon to win the Pac 12 tournament.
Alanna Smith named Tournament Most Outstanding Player.

She is really piling up the accolades this season.

Reply #737646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The commentators for the Syracuse v Boston college game also said that tiana would be trying out for the aus national team at the end of the season.
Thought it was odd that they knew that."

It was also said that she sat out two years after high school and did not play , then went to Hutch sat again for another two years and then became Div1 eligible

The story now seems to have missed the seasons at Townsville and playing SEABL in Brisbane.

Reply #737665 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The first half of Champ Week provided, as always, scintilliating performances, joyous memories, and utter heartbreak as conference crowns were decided, and seniors saw their careers either end with a tournament loss or continue on for another game. Among the Aussies, the stars once again shone brightest as Alanna Smith and Tiana Mangakahia picked up conference tournament awards, with Smith picking up the Pac-12 Tournament's Most Outstanding Player as Stanford upset Oregon in the decider.

NCAA Women: Smith leads Stanford to 13th Pac-12 Tournament title

Reply #737778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Tiana about to turn 25, would there be other students her age still playing or is her situation somehow unique?

Seems odd when the majority are 18-21.

Reply #738017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ good question, not sure how she's managed it, but it’s a valid point to reflect on who she plays against, be very interesting to see how she pulls up against ones her own age.

Reply #738055 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The most common mature age entry in NCAA stems from students who were on active military duty so were able to defer their eligibility. Another way is if you served as a missionary. Those are two avenues I've noticed watching NCAA sports.

Reply #738065 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mangakahia is actually 23! Born 21 April 1995, so she is about to turn 24.

Reply #738174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the correction!

Reply #738193 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Selection Sunday finalised the NCAA Tournament field, with a total of 12 Australian men across 8 teams set to go 'dancing'. Seven of those teams won their conference tournaments to book direct entry into the event, while one (Virginia) were included in the field after a brilliant season and are currently ranked number two nationally entering this week.

NCAA Men: The Aussies in the 2019 NCAA Tournament

Reply #738745 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With the power conferences having completed their conference tournaments last weekend, the mid-majors took centre stage as the battle for a single bid in many leagues played out. With a number of Australians playing in the Big Sky, that was always one league that was a chance of sending an Aussie to the NCAA Tournament, and fans weren't disappointed. On the other side of the country, Buffalo secured the MAC Championship and an automatic bid of their own, with Courtney Wilkins playing a major role.

NCAA Women: Aussie stars light up the Big Sky

Reply #738854 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With Champ Week done and dusted, attention now turns to the 'Big Dance' - the NCAA Tournament. Four Aussies reached the tournament as conference champions, whilst seven more picked up at-large bids to see 11 Aussies split evenly across 11 teams enter the 64-team bracket.

NCAA Women: The Aussies in the 2019 NCAA Tournament

Reply #738855 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

35 Aussies across 28 teams featured in the first weekend of the three postseason events, with 11 of those playing in the NCAA Tournament. All nine first round games featuring an Australian finished with an Aussie winner, with five of those making their way through to the Sweet 16. Elsewhere, three Aussies remain standing in the WNIT, whilst Nicola Mathews and Appalachian State have made their way through to the WBI semi-finals.

NCAA Women: Five Aussies remain in NCAA Tournament after solid first weekend

Reply #739646 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mangakahia has opted to return to Syracuse for another year rather than nominating for the WNBA draft.
One More Year

Smith was today named to the All-America 2nd Team

Smith is joined on the second team by Kristine Anigwe (Cal), Kalani Brown (Baylor), Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame) and Bridget Carleton (Iowa State).
The first team consists of Megan Gustafson (Iowa), Napheesa Collier (Connecticut), Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State), Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon) and Asia Durr (Louisville).

Looks like Stanford vs Notre Dame is not being shown live in Australia :/

Reply #740151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She will be the oldest player at any college !

Reply #740199 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

One Aussie male has advanced to the Final Four, while Koat Noi has led TCU to the final of the NIT.

NCAA Men: Stattmann headed to Final Four, Kouat making some noise

Reply #740266 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Moragn Yaeger is the last women standing in the NCAA Tournament, heading to the Final Four. But there are a host of others starring in the WNIT and WBI.

NCAA Women: Yaeger and Oregon dance into Final Four

Reply #740275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754