Isaac
Years ago

NBL: Wiley should not have been ejected

After reviewing the Round 7 game between the Illawarra Hawks and Adelaide 36ers, the NBL has determined that the ejection of Jacob Wiley was an incorrect decision.

The player should not have received two technical fouls, and instead should been assessed as a single technical foul for his role in the incident.

Wiley was ejected from the game at the 6:37 mark of the second quarter after receiving two technical fouls.

Topic #44368 | Report this topic

Watto  
Years ago

So what now? Rematch?

Reply #719079 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

no the Sixers get to suck it up and deal with the mistake.

Reply #719080 | Report this post

Wow. The NBL admitted a mistake in a timely fashion. What is this?

Reply #719081 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

So what does the NBL actually stand for?

He put hands on a ref multiple times. I don't get it.

As I said in the Taipans game thread, the NBL make it so hard to love them. It should be easy

Reply #719082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mistake was made and admitted. Move on

Reply #719091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tbh I thought the ejection was there. First tech for the altercation, then a 2nd for pushing the ref away and going in. The refs make a lot of stupid calls but I thought the ejection was correct.

Reply #719094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL have made a mistake here.. First tech for altercation, second for pushing the ref away and now they're saying wrong call. Should have stuck to their guns here, the precedent has been set. Pushing the ref away to start trouble is fair game!

Reply #719097 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wiley clearly touched the ref.

The fact that the NBL's own review missed it says a lot about the quality of their eyesight.

Reply #719098 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Manu Fieldel same thing happened in Cairns with Nnanna Egwu last year. I can't recall you asking for him to be ejected? Why is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo6RTkzcUpA&fbclid

Monumental stuff ups by the refs are becoming not surprising anymore

Reply #719102 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

The second tech was for going back into the scuffle to talk trash. The problem with that was that Jett did the same thing.

Reply #719103 | Report this post

Confused  
Years ago

When did touching a ref become a heinous crime? Players and Coaches do it all Game long, refs also touch the players. So should every instance of a player touching a ref lead to a T now?

Both Jett and Wiley were running their mouth the entire time. Yet only 1 got a second T, so basically just keep running your mouth like Jett and it's only 1 T. Wiley went away and was drawn back by Jetts continuing dialogue. Give them both the same punishment.

Personally I think 1 T each was sufficient for all that, BUT if Wiley gets 2 then Jett needed 2.

The bigger issue I think is why Aussie refs allow so much more physicality than other countries yet they have thinner skin when people get emotional about that physicality. Seems strange.

Reply #719105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL Game Review panel is also reviewing an incident between Nathan Sobey and David Andersen in the third quarter of yesterday's game between Illawarra and Adelaide. A decision on whether charges will be laid will be made tomorrow.

Reply #719107 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Given the composition of the officiating 'team' for this game I'm surprised that anyone is surprised at the way things developed.

However, putting all that aside - let's NOT go down the 'he put his hands on the ref' line - at least not given the current 'state of play'.

I'm actually all for players NOT touching refs - ever. Not even having a mutual cuddle as they walk off court at half or quarter time, as I see relatively often. [Goulding is classic.]

I am also all for NOT having refs touch players - as they frequently do when they are attempting to be 'pals' rather than game officials.

And of course, it's a bit much to expect players not to touch refs if the officials insert themselves into a tangle of wrestling and pushing players. Actually puts themselves at risk and the players in potential jeopardy if they 'touch' the official - or at least it should.

I realise the officials probably think they are helping prevent things escalating, even protecting the players from themselves, but as someone suggested elsewhere, it would probably be better if they stood off and actually observed what is happening so they can make accurate decisions, which they can't if they're involved in the melee.

Also - don't the officials have whistles? I'd suggest that getting in reasonably close [but not wresting with the players] and blowing their whistles loudly and constantly until things settle down would shut these little skirmishes down pretty quickly. Or maybe the modern little 'wind shear' pipes don't have the authority of a well-blown Acme Thunderer.

Reply #719113 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What Wiley did was different to Egwu. Egwu accepted the ref's authority and didn't go after Cooke/whomever. Wiley twice tried to shove away the ref.

Egwu's is borderline. I don't like anyone putting hands on refs despite their competence level

Reply #719123 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Regardless of what should or should not haven been given, what was actually given at the time was Tech 1 for the Altercation,
and Tech 2 was given for what was deemed to be his "coming back in for another go."
That 2nd tech was harsh, as he was walking off court, and turned in response to something said by a Hawk. Not smart, but perhaps not worthy of a further tech.
And that is all the NBL have said, that the 2nd tech wasn't justified.

PS: Andersen is a dickhead, hope he gets rubbed out.

Reply #719126 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

i thought that ref was pretty good ... he was in the middle of the fray ...got pushed ...but took it well ...didn't worry about it....
called the second tech for going back in agen... which appears to be incorrect...

Reply #719127 | Report this post

NBLUFC  
Years ago

I don't understand people saying Wiley went back in. Both him and Jett didn’t stop talking the entire time, which is all it was anyway, all he does is get his last say in and walks over to the bench.

Reply #719139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"all he does"

I love these people who sum up incidents by saying "all he does", then proceeding to completely misrepresent "all he did."

Reply #719140 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

quoting what ref said ....i.e. 'going back in ' ....that's what the ref said....
appears it was all in the one altercation .....as you say ...and nbl says...

Reply #719141 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

I'd like our refs to go the same way as NBA officials- take no bullshit, no taunting, no carrying on like a pork chop, give the 'T’ and move on. Don’t answer back, coaches to pull their heads in as well. Joey and Gleeson wouldn’t last 2 minutes.

Reply #719153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pop, the refs stood back during the fracas between Australia and the Philippines. How did that turn out, both in terms of actions on the night, and the refs as a consequence? There are no winners

Reply #719154 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Bit harsh to say Wiley touched the ref so deserves a tech. It is actually the ref who jumps in and grabs Wiley first as he tries to get between him and others before Wiley pushes to get away from him. If players can't touch refs, the it has to go the other way too with refs unable to touch players.

Reply #719169 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"And of course, it's a bit much to expect players not to touch refs if the officials insert themselves into a tangle of wrestling and pushing players. Actually puts themselves at risk and the players in potential jeopardy if they 'touch' the official - or at least it should."

Completely agree there Pop. If you have a look at the melee the ref puts his hand forcibly on the player first. Wiley then still fired up, works his way free from the ref to go at Jett again. It's not as if he maliciously tries to attack the ref and commits a "heinous" crime as some would have you believe. The ref is just an afterthought in him trying to get to Jett.

Also Wiley's actions are all contained in the one melee. It's not like there's a scuffle which is then broken up for some time and Wiley comes back in for more after that break. It all happens in the space of 30 seconds or so. You'd never see 2 techs given for that behavior in the NBA. Glad the NBL admitted they were wrong.

Reply #719170 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The refs just need to use a bit of discretion on these things. Did Wiley over-react to Jett's taunt? Yes! Did he cause any harm to anyone other than some harsh language? No! Send both teams to their benches to calm down. Then talk to Wiley and let him know he is skating on thin ice. Let him stay in the game instead of unbalancing what was a good contested game at that point. If he oversteps again, then absolutely throw him out. But the first solution should never be to throw out star players. It happens way too often in the NBL these days!

Reply #719172 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The Refs are taught not to go in from the soft core who could never manage a decent game.

If a ref enters a melee, they wear the consequences has generally always been the rule. There are refs who never jump in, there are refs who seem to beat the players to it.

The Phillipines game shows what happens when refs who are suppose to be part of the game decide they won't jump in.

Has anyone in the NBL recently jumped into the crowd and started hitting anyone in sight?? Before you use the NBA as the almighty, thinking about all the incidents of players completely losing their shit.

Reply #719193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, totally disagree with this ruling.

In my mind, the 2 techs were warranted. Not for touching the ref, but for going back for more after being pushed away.

And to all those Adelaide fans saying they were robbed of the win, you were never going to win that game.

Illawarra and Adelaide - battling it out for 6th and 7th place for the end of the season. Such high stakes!

Reply #719223 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was on TV news and Joey said that he is not enjoying it now , it's all about the refs .
Like perth on here and AFL TV .

Reply #719228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the ref in question has a history of reporting people in SA, he is a complete nob

Reply #719230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the ref in question has a history of reporting people in SA"

Please elaborate.

Reply #719231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the point of the video if they can’t review at the game and get it right?

They had the same footage available on the day.

Reply #719238 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I think if they reviewed it the result would of been the same, the Ref who got shoved looked like a passive guy and did and said nothing. The other ref quickly called for the 2nd 'T', I think if they reviewed it then they would of seen the Ref shove and just given it for that. Once a 'T' is given there is no way the refs are reversing it.

Reply #719249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game was getting out of control, both needed to be ejected.

On another note, can't say im a fan of how a lot of nbl coaches ride the refs...

Reply #719397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game was getting out of control because of the failure of the refs to call what needed to early.

Then it blew up because of that lack of early standard.

Then as usual refs have to cover their own butts by over reacting.

NBL needs to come out publicly and announce all 3 have been suspended due to their failure to meet the standard required.

Reply #719406 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Yep, calling the rules as written - consistently and in all matches - would improve the game in so many ways.

On top of the general improvement it would reduce the level of player and coach frustration, which would certainly minimise [but not totally eliminate] the likelihood of on-court altercations.

And being genuinely in control of the game, they would have earnt the respect of the players and so be better placed to handle and quickly shut down any blow up that did occur.

Reply #719439 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Pop +1

Reply #719481 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Never saw the incident , so won't comment on that, but i too would like to see the refs shown a bit more respect. It's a bloody hard job and a players make as many mistakes as the refs do, however the only focus from supporters is on the refs and the mistakes they make, sadly this is a common theme in any sport, all the focus is on the officials. The sooking around these parts about refs and the inference they are costing teams a game is a joke, and becoming boring.

Start looking in your own backyard and focus on what your team is doing wrong, because like refs they are not perfect with every decision they make on court.

I actually agree with the poster who said the refs should be more like the NBA and come down harsher, especially on the coaches, the way some of them carry on, yes i'm looking at Gleeson and Wright here is a disgrace, and both should be at least teched once a game easilly for the carry on.

Reply #719626 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That was part of my point about this. A lot of focus on the refs when Wiley went bananas because Jett yapped at him. Short of some horrible trash talk (like about a recently passed wife or something), it looked like an absolute overreaction. Fans haven't exactly rushed to put much responsibility on Wiley for it.

I have a theory that there'd be political overlap between the sorts of people who are all for personal responsibility (and no hand-outs) but love to hate on refs/authority.

Reply #719675 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LOL WTF wow this got political all of a sudden.

Reply #719742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac and others, watching the game from the start it was clear very early that the level of trash talking and physicality being allowed would result in some blow up.

Wiley blew up over the last of 2 quarters of niggles, comments, hard fouls all ignored by the refs.

Reply #719743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the refs should have called a tighter game, only to have people complain that they should let the players play.

The refs intervened in the Ware/Randle match-up yet people are complaining about that too.

Reply #719746 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah, really over the constant bitching and blaming refs for everything.
So the refs are wrong for giving Wiley that second tech,
but they're also in the wrong for not teching players earlier to control the game.

Let's be honest, Wiley needs to exercise a little more self-control.

Reply #719764 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Watch a replay of the second quarter. Adelaide were cruising and the refs put the whistle away allowing the Hawks to commit numerous obvious fouls while defending. The commentators started to allude to this fact as the game went on. Froling was probably the most hard done by. The players can be seen getting increasingly frustrated. Tge game was called differently at either end.

Reply #719797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over yourself Udog. You got smashed by Illawarra. Move on.

Reply #719798 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Ok. Don't watch it. Or listen to the commentary. Or open your eyes..

Reply #719802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:01 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754