NBL Announce "CITY Jerseys"

...and I have absolutely no idea what this rubbish is...

https://www.firstever.com/nbl/jerseys/?_bc_fsnf=1&collection=City&utm_source=NBLTwitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=NBLCityJerseys

Topic #44588 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

Swoooooop city!!!! Yeeeeaaah bruh!!!

Hahaha. This is the actual worst thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Reply #726484 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Melbourne and Sydney ones are sick.

Some are pretty shitty

Reply #726485 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Swoop City because of the magpies

Reply #726487 | Report this post

The fact you had to spell that out speaks volumes, Manu. The design doesn't even aid in putting that connection forward.

Reply #726488 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Are there more magpies in Adelaide than in other cities? I thought Melbourne would've been swoop capital.

Reply #726489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They went with "swoop" because it has less letters than "church" or "shithole"

Reply #726490 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

haha

Reply #726491 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Skycity Breakers"

Oh dear...

Reply #726493 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Such an uncreative ripped off of the NBA. Just come up with another name, or better yet do retro ones again.

Reply #726494 | Report this post

The concept doesn't even appear to have been equally applied across all teams. It's like there was a different brief for some teams than there were for others.

Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney look good and make sense. The same kind of treatment should have been given to the other teams. Adelaide could have had St Peter's Cathedral on the skyline, or a silhouette of Light's Vision or something. Even the legit Adelaide playing kit a couple of seasons ago had a streetmap of Adelaide incorportated in to the design. That fits the brief more than "Swoop City" for mine.

What happened to Illawarra's design, did they forget to submit it?

Reply #726495 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Illawarra = Steel City- It even says it under the picture!!!

Reply #726497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks are paying homage to the old Illawarra Steelers

http://www.dansnrlcollectables.com/contents/media/img_9686.jpg

just need white shorts and red socks to match.

Reply #726498 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Terrible execution, agree it's just a poor cousin to an NBA/Nike idea

Reply #726500 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

hahahahaha.

Oh Dear.

In fairness, the Melbourne one is actually better than their regular uniform.

Reply #726501 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"The West"? WTF, it should be Perthworld. FAIL!

Reply #726502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had to be Balls City, with an outline of the malls halls around a silhouette of one of Joey's boys punching an opponent.

Reply #726503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the Melbourne one and think that Sydney and Brisbane are also good. Adelaide's is embarrassing! I’ve lived here all my life and it’s never been referred to as swoop city. Surely they could have come up with something better than naming it after a mascot. The name and design is terrible. Did Adelaide pick the name or the league?

Reply #726504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should just be "CITY" so everyone knows Adelaide is really just a large country town.

Reply #726506 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Another First Ever fail.

Reply #726508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should've gone with Westate.

Reply #726509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These aren't heritage round jerseys.

Reply #726510 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

What the actual fuck?

Reply #726511 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't mind some of these, where they actually follow a theme, but Illawarra's and ours are just a generic word with city, and no design.
Brisbane's is a direct ripoff of Golden State's. I guess that's ok.
They could have at least made our logo look loosely related to a magpie, to follow the theme. Otherwise it's just a random word, that no one at any point in history has associated with Adelaide.
Granted, I wouldn't know the first thing about Illawarra as a city, but I guess they have a big steel mill there? Not sure how a boring as hell font and a couple lines is supposed to be interesting.
The ones with the city skyline are pretty nice. Sydney's is the best.
Perth's is super busy, but it's not horrible. Melbourne's is clean and simple.
Nice pandering to the sponsor by New Zealand. It's pretty much a shit replica of Miami's.

Reply #726516 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

These are actually terrible.

Melbourne - looks better than their normal jerseys
Adelaide - Swoop City? ROFL
Brisbane - Took me a while to work out who it was, direct rip off of Golden State's jerseys, how original
Cairns - it works
Illawarra - Gross, how to make something unpleasant look even worse
NZ - My favourite, however direct rip off of Miami Heat
Sydney - make it black and white and call it, as far from purple and yellow as you could go
Perth - WTF? Is that the Indianna Tea Rooms in Cottesloe?

Reply #726518 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The Adelaide one looks like something you would see in K-Mart for $9.99 on the "Sale" rack.

Absolutely nothing to do with Adelaide as a Club or City unless it is a poor word association of a Crow swooping down but even then it is more likely a Magpie to swoop, not a Crow.

Sydney and Melbourne ones at least have an easy identifiable association with the Bridge and I assume Luna Park.

Reply #726521 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If the NBL was internationally relevant the Warriors would sue the shit out of that Brisbane outfit.

Reply #726522 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Looks like LK gave his son something else to do for a job for a while

Reply #726523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hendo, Illawarra isn't a city at all but the region. But yes, there are steelworks at Port Kembla, just beside Wollongong. It's quite visible as part of the coastal/area's skyline. Harbour City makes sense. Never heard of Swoop City, River City, etc. Why wouldn't they do Radelaide or Rads? Smelbs for United, Brisvegas.

If the idea wasn't strong enough, surely you find another way to play it? Like another play on history, or state, or homage to past heroes, or flip the black-out singlets and go white on white, etc.

Reply #726525 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Brisbane, the River City, is a thing.

Reply #726531 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pretty sure I've already seen the Taipans wear this jersey.

Are the images vector? Nothing would surprise me with this mob

Reply #726537 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Boris Vegas has a "Riverfire" festival. Brisbane River. Fireworks. Get it.

You can sit on Southbank and watch fireworks etc. The highlight used to be F111s doing a “dump n burn”, basically burning fuel while overflying the city and river. Those old birds are all retired now, so it'd be not so great now.

Reply #726540 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac. I think the steelworks have all shut now. Back in the 90s it was being majorly downsized. Lots of people lost their jobs and identities. Sad really.

Newcastle and Wollongong used to compete in the Dteel City Challenge/Cup or something in the NRL.

Reply #726541 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I just opened the link. On a small screen, I didn't see the Taipan’s teeth. It looked like a real angry koala, or drop bear.

Reply #726543 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I just rang jetstar and asked for a ticket to swoop city. They had no idea what i was talking about.

Reply #726548 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Looks like the NBL got the work experience kid to bust out the Microsoft Paint again. These are embarrassing for the league, they are either a direct rip off of NBA Jerseys (NZ and Brisbane) or just sad. Melbourne gets a pass but only just as the words look like they've been done on WordArt. Sydney's is best and should replace there crap purple ones.

Reply #726549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide - CHURCH CITY

Reply #726558 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #726560 | Report this post

Just some bloke  
Years ago

Lets hope this is the Last Ever season of First Ever.

Reply #726561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney and Melbourne look pretty cool.

Not a fan of Perths. I don't mind the idea behind it and feel like they went for a Denver Throwback vibe, but the all-red jersey is way too over powering for the graphic and looks weird. A more white uniform with the graphic would have looked pretty good i reckon.

Reply #726564 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Are Perth using the gay pride flag on their singlets on purpose?

Reply #726565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are Perth using the gay pride flag on their singlets on purpose?"

You'd hope so. Seeing large organisations using their notoriety to promote inclusiveness is a good thing. Don't you agree?

Reply #726566 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A+ for idea, D- for execution.

Reply #726567 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Maybe some of the colouring choices were made dependant on who each team is playing in the round?

Reply #726568 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Inclusiveness definitely. It should be an away jersey though so the team bus can have a big streamer and a drag queen on top.

Reply #726569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can just tell that the low-rent Udog is itching to make a homophobic remark.

Reply #726570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh look, a group you can't make jokes about.
Now thats inclusive....

Reply #726571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, those lucky minorities!!

Reply #726572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide = Murder City or Serial Killer Capital

Reply #726573 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

First Ever clearly has no clue what it is doing. I appreciate that they're trying some stuff out but they keep doing it badly.

Reply #726574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Living in Australia? Yes, id agree, very lucky!

Reply #726575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gee, could of put some effort into the Hawks one and isn't Cairns just an indigenous jersey?

Reply #726577 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I won't be overstepping the mark. Just noticed the rainbow colours and made the comparison. I only added the bus bit to reply to old mate.

Reply #726578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are all fkn terrible.

'Swoop City' is laughable HAHA!

Reply #726580 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Instead of flexing will Wiley now wave his arms in a swooping gesture at opponents?

Reply #726581 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wow this is horrible!

Reply #726585 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I know there are only so many variations on a uniform and the NBA uniforms are very familiar so it can be difficult to get away from that.

Adelaide 'Swoop City' Looks fine
Brisbane ' River City' Golden State Warriors definitely.
Cairns Look good similar to current
Illawarra 'Steel City' Looks fine
Melbourne Looks fine
NZ Breakers Looks OK
Perth 'The West' This one is out there but is not the Gay Rainbow flag. Point of difference I can live with.
Sydney 'Harbour City' Jersey Looks good

Reply #726586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Looks fine LMAO. You're easy to please.

Reply #726600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers and Melbourne jerseys are dope

Reply #726603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These jerseys are as equally bad as the lameass ripped jeans Jeremy Kestleman was wearing courtside at the Bullets/United game.

Reply #726616 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Those old birds are all retired now, so it'd be not so great now."
Yes - one F111 was retired to Adelaide. It's in the Aviation Museum at the Port. Pretty sure it's the only one on regular public display in Oz, now. Well worth a visit.

"I think the steelworks have all shut now."
Bluescope Steel still run a large flat steel production operation at Port Kembla, turning out steel for the domestic Australian market. One of the two furnaces was shut down a few years ago (2011?) when Bluescope decided to focus on the local market. So half the production it used to be but still well over 5 million tonnes per year according to Bluescope Steel's production figures.

"Adelaide is really just a large country town"
Yep and for that I'm thankful. All things considered, I'd rather it was smaller.

Reply #726618 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

"Motor town" might have worked better for Adelaide given the numerous car related events and manufacturing history.

Wine city would also work on a couple of levels.

Reply #726627 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Adelaide- barrel city??

Reply #726628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*whine city

Reply #726630 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

I actually like them... just because they have similarities with NBA ones doesn't mean it’s not a good initiative.
Anything to continue building hype for the league is good.
Agree they could have been done a little better in some cases but it’s a good

For the future... I know some of these have already been mentioned...

Brisbane - Brisvegas
NZ - City of Sails
Melbourne - Bay City
Cairns - Reef City
Adelaide - Radelaide
Perth - Western Front
Sydney - Harbourtown

Reply #726676 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Isn't the term 'Brisvegas' used to describe Brisbane as a big country town that resembles nothing of Las Vegas? That its the opposite of entertaining and was referenced in that way, which is in a negative light. At least thats what it was known as before Brisbane grew as a city. However the nickmame has stuck.

It would be like calling Perth 'Dullsville'

Anyway as for the uniforms, I hated them at first but they are starting to look ok after analysing them a bit more. Sydney's is very nice as is Melbourne's. The rest are either OK or terrible.

Not a fan of the concept though. A direct copy of the NBA and reeks of trying to look cool. Should have just kept the heritage round or come up with something unique to the NBL.

Reply #726677 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

If its done the right way (and with original ideas) then this could have worked... but wow the fact they just said "lets copy Miami Heat and the Dubs with theirs) is terrible. Well actually the Breakers are a mix between Orlando & Miami so maybe someone has taken a trip to Florida lately... either way this has been executed so poorly.

Hawks, Cats, Sixers - look terrible (its like they got up to the Hawks jersey and had 5 minutes left to hand it in)
Breakers - looks good, but they should be ashamed for blatantly copying the Heat/Orlando jerseys
United - looks better than current
Sydney - looks good
Brisbane - terrible, as per Breakers comments
Cairns - is this different?

Reply #726750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Florida trip could be owner Matt Walsh

Reply #726778 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm usually not so critical of jerseys. It ought to be hard for pro teams to stuff up designs. There is value in simplicity, in more modern styles, in retro styles, in either cut of singlet, etc. This year's United is the only time in recent memory I have thought "WTF were they thinking"?

Now First Ever does it again.

Adelaide: "Swoop City"? If they are going with iconic symbolism or a nickname of cities, you really need to choose something that someone at some time has used in reference to that city, anywhere or anytime ever in the history of time.

Cairns: So the point is to go with city nicknames or iconic symbols. Let me put on my First Ever thinking hat. Apparently now I know nothing about Cairns, but I remember seeing Cairns represented as "CNS" somewhere before. Done. Thinking hat off. There wasn't an opportunity to reference Cairns as the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef? Something far north related? Is an airport code really the best they could come up with? Outside of that, it's pretty good with the aboriginal art style.

Melbourne: Actually like this one. Even like the fitting symbolism of including the defective Melbourne star wheel as one of the three main landmarks, which was defective and/or out of operation for many years, an ominous reference to First Ever's continuing ability to stuff up what everyone else managed to do well.

Illawarra: Obviously ran out of time on this one.

Breakers: When I think of icons of New Zealand, I think of pink Miami/Vice City-style fonts, like in those 100% Pure Miami nights travel ads that never happened. By the way, I have to ask: they realise that Skycity isn't actually a city in New Zealand, right?

Sydney: Looks great, but why feature so little of the Harbour Bridge? First Ever blatantly copies designs, yet now they are suddenly concerned about copyright?

Reply #726787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754