Isaac
Years ago

NBL 2019 MVP is Andrew Bogut

Just announced by the NBL.

83 votes, Ware 77, Cotton 65.

Won MVP while scoring 11.6 PPG. Averaged more boards than points.

Topic #44842 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton should not have been that far of the pace, the voting system is floored. The fact votes were required to be in before all games were complete is also a bit farcical. Not saying that any of the three wouldn't have been worthy, but a tighter race was clearly needed.

Reply #734790 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I didn't think Cotton should've been any close than third too many bad games but I would've had Ware winning over Bogut.

Reply #734792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Cotton had too many bad games but Ware didn't?

Reply #734794 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Bogut being able to beat either big from melb or Perth seems to be irrelevant in this argument.

Reply #734796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fk me the NBL absolutely butchered some of the awards this year with the new system.

So if you rule out the 3 Wildcats voters who couldn't vote for Cotton, there was 21 other voters. Meaning with his 65, they gave Cotton an average of 3.09 votes each. I'm sure a fair few would have definitely given him 5 or 4 votes, which means he would have received a fair few 2,1,0 votes to blance it out to a 3.09 average.

How does anyone seriously not have the favourite in their top 3???

Becomes way too political, would love to see the votes released to the public.

Reply #734797 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Thats part of the issue with the voting system.

The fact cotton scored so low doesn't necessarily mean others intentionally voted him lower than he deserved. As ware and Bogut absorbed some of those votes... But

The numbers do prove that some voted him as the 4th option in the poll.

Would love to know who those were. I'd be willing to bet gaze was one of them giving him 2 votes.

Reply #734798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one positive about this is i can't wait to watch Bryce in the finals. He already goes next level in playoffs, but about to enter absolute beast mode playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder at the disrespect.

Reply #734799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the voting done by the coach, assistant coach and captain from each club? And they have 3-2-1 votes to give?

Reply #734800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Isn't the voting done by the coach, assistant coach and captain from each club? And they have 3-2-1 votes to give?"

Voted by them, but they said MVP was 5-4-3-2-1 instead of 3-2-1 like some other awards.

Reply #734801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah ok, the NBL website says it's 3-2-1

Reply #734803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the voters aren't allowed to vote for their own teams, Perth's 13 assistant coaches swung the voting in Bogut and Warne's favour.

Reply #734804 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Ouch... I can't believe so many of our assistants voted for Warne.

Luckily we didn't give him high enough votes to get into the top 3.

3 votes per team. Each a 5,4,3,2,1

Coach. Assistant coach. Captain.

There are alot of votes missing between the top 3. Ware cotton and Bogut were all being robbed of deserved votes by people.

Reply #734805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The fact cotton scored so low doesn't necessarily mean others intentionally voted him lower than he deserved. As ware and Bogut absorbed some of those votes... But

The numbers do prove that some voted him as the 4th option in the poll.

Would love to know who those were. I'd be willing to bet gaze was one of them giving him 2 votes."

In high school I ran for class captain a few times. I was one of the favourites to win along with 1 or 2 others. When submitting votes i strategically didn't vote for the other favourites and would give votes to someone i knew had absolutely no chance of winning to take votes away from the other favourites.

I definitely think some of the Melbourne/Sydney voters would have slipped in some 2s and/or 1s for Cotton to boost the chances of guys like Bogut and Ware.

Strategically the smart thing, but for an award the system is stuffed when it allows it to be manipulated like that.

Reply #734808 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ok- so NBL site is wrong- not 321.

So 360 total votes. Being 45 * 8. Or 15*3 by 8 clubs. Or 24*15.

Max possible votes for one player is 120. Being 24 * 5.

Bogut, Cotton and Ware got 225 votes between them.

Fair enough- it seemed like a 3 horse race to most of us.

Voting should be done after the season though.

Reply #734811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maximum votes one player can get is 105. Can't vote for your own team mates

Reply #734814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to make the MVP trophy a bit bigger I reckon

Reply #734817 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Correct top 3. I'm a little surprised by the vote tallies though.

Next season I'd like to see all the votes published.

Reply #734820 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

It just means that out of the 288 votes that would have gone to the top 3

Only 227 were awarded to the actual top 3.

Doesn't seem like all that much. But it's basically 1/5 did not vote for 1 of cotton ware or Bogut as top 3.

Given many would have. That number becomes higher. So there were definitely several teams/individuals that did not vote for those 3.

That doesn't necessarily imply any wrong doing. Some people may have voted for Trimble or long or Patterson higher than one of those 3. Would anyone particularly blame them... Not really.

But without knowing the votes. It is always going to lead to conspiracy theories. Personally I do prefer this system, but it's still majorly flawed. Especially from a fan perspective. If the votes were public. It would be much less of an issue

Reply #734823 | Report this post

Glad to see Bogut came rightfully first.
The NBL got the voting right.Just a lot of fans out there that believe everything is about one club.
You may be top, hopwever not everything runs your way.
#brycecameturd

Reply #734830 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Can't vote for own teammate at all?
Ok- changes my calcs

makes sense.

Reply #734833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL and Kings started the season using bogut as their marketing face to create attention for the league and its still happening after given bogut the
mvp. Gaze would have voted for bogut after every game like his dad did when
he played in the nbl.

This is what hurts the nbl from a players prospective because it is abundantly
clear cotton or ware should have been MVP so much so, the media is too weak
to publicly question bogut winning mvp.

Reply #734843 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

it is abundantly
clear cotton or ware should have been MVP
[citation needed]

Seems like the new system isn't doing anything to fix the problem of fans being unhappy with the winner. Almost like most fans don't value the same things as coaches and players do.

Reply #734844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many armchair experts. Remove your disdain for Bogut from the equation, and it's pretty clear that he is a better player than Ware/Cotton, he had at least an equivalent impact on his team as Cotton did for Perth.

The difference (IMO)? It's easier to replace scoring than the defensive presence that Bogut provides... and no: the fact that a 7 footer can't guard the perimeter does not disqualify him from consideration.

Reply #734847 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just don't know how folks can argue with this selection. Cotton, Ware, Bogut, take your pick, but it's not like LK just gave it to Bogut - there's a clear process behind it, and Bogut won.

When you factor in both sides of the ball I think it's more than fair, but I wouldn't have been shocked if Ware or Cotton had won either.

Reply #734851 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If Sydney finished top of the table then maybe.

But Sydney finished 3rd on the table and they're loaded with talent.

Bogut isn't even the best Center in the league this year with respect. Long had a better season IMO.

I cant stand Perth but Cotton is clearly the MVP of the league. Take him out of Perth and they don't make the top 4.

Anyway seems to be a product of a bad voting system so no point harping on.

Reply #734852 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sydney finished with the same record as Perth. And Long had a slow start and doesn't give you much outside of offense. Bogut is a better player than Long without a doubt, and also shut Long down when they played each other. Long doesn't deserve to be in the discussion.

Reply #734854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one individual head-to-head matchup shouldn't be a major factor otherwise angus brandt would be the league mvp seeing as he completely owned the real mvp all season.
congrats to bogut. great season and a worthy winner. what fans think of him on social media is irrelevant so get over it.

Reply #734859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB, Long finished the season strong, but was far too unreliable early. Bogut had something like 3-5 'bad' games all season due to foul trouble and/or bad matchups, but was otherwise the best Sydney player and arguably best on-court for the remaining games.

Take Bogut out of Sydney and they're instantly unable to defend and thus competing with Illawarra/NZ for the illustrious 6th-7th spots - much like the two seasons prior.

Reply #734860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some of the arguments for Bogut are flawed. Single-handedly turning around the Kings? No, far from it. And others have tried to use his impact on the league from an off-court perspective as a valid reason too.

Reply #734861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many haters, Bogut might be a wanker, shit stirrer, I don't know, I’ve never met him, but have no argument with him winning the mvp.

Reply #734862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some people evidently think that 3 point shooting is the only valuable thing a basketballer can do. no idea.

Reply #734864 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't really understand how anyone can say Bogut was an undeserving winner.

Perhaps people just overrate scoring and don’t value the little things that win basketball games too.

Or perhaps people just don’t like Bogut?

If watching him didn’t convince you, what about the stats?

Led the league in rebounding by a huge margin (about 2.5 or 3 rebounds more than 2nd). Gaining possession is huge in basketball- teams who are poor at rebounding are unlikely to be successful, unless they’re absolutely brilliant in other areas. Having Bogut on court means Sydney will always be competitive in the air.

Led the league in blocked shots by a huge margin. Almost double the blocked shots of the next person- 2.6 per game. 1.4 was next. Given the way basketball is reffed these days, having over 2 blocks a game in any pro league is very impressive. And just consider how many shots Bogut changes where he isn’t credited with a stat, or think even broader about the overall impact his rim protection has on the game and the decisions that opposing teams make.

Top ten in the league in assists. 3.5 a game, only just behind point guards like Casper and Randle. Of the other bigs, only Kay and Wesley got near him- and they both have more of the ball from the perimeter. Bogut is the best in the league at passing from a standing position in the post. Defense can never fall asleep when Bogut has the ball- anyone who’s open or cutting will find a pass coming their way.

Bogut also scored almost 12 pts a game and shot 56% from the field, with his team winning 18 games.

Reply #734866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some people evidently think that 3 point shooting is the only valuable thing that Cotton does. no idea.

Reply #734867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't really understand how anyone can say Bogut was an undeserving winner. "

Sydney had a stacked team, one that people were saying was the best ever prior to the season. They finished third. What value do all his stats bring to a team that underachieved?

Reply #734869 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If you take Bogut out of Sydney, how would they have gone this season?

I think some people just rate flashy guys like Cotton and Casper who hit game winning shots in people's faces (both guys would've been deserving winners too).

Bogut isn't flashy but he gets the job done

Much the same with a guy like DJ Kennedy- I haven't heard many people raving about him. He's not flashy either. But his last third of the season was as good as pretty much anyone in the NBL, except maybe Shawn Long.

Reply #734870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If you take Bogut out of Sydney, how would they have gone this season?"

Better than Perth without Cotton.

Reply #734872 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth won games this season when Cotton missed, didn't they?

No Cotton and Perth are still a good defensive team, a good rebounding team with a proven system. Steindl could play more time and would come off some of those screens that Cotton usually comes off.

Sydney without Bogut would be regularly overpowered, out muscled, and teams would attack the hoop relentlessly against them. They'd be a high scoring team who lost most of their games- a bit like that United team a few years ago who had Kickert playing Centre.

Reply #734873 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Bogut is a tosser and a Pork Chop.

Getting Pineau (Mr zero minutes and zero defence) to give a speech on his behalf, about defence, was lame.

Angus Beef and DJ definitely had the better of him everytime.

Whereas, no guard can match Cotton - who should be MVP.

Reply #734874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you describe how Cotton impacts games as "coming off screens" then you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Reply #734875 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's a good thing some of you guys don't get to vote for awards.

Reply #734878 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United did a pretty good job of defending Cotton this year.

My point about Steindl was that he's one of the best 3 point shooters going around and if given the opportunity, might show his scoring prowess.

Reply #734880 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As in, I reckon Steindl could step up and play a bigger role if Perth's roster was reshuffled, a bit like how Barlow stepped up this year after Tai Wesley's departure

Reply #734881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"some people evidently think that 3 point shooting is the only valuable thing that Cotton does. no idea."

so true. not only does he shoot threes but he also flops onto the floor after shooting threes which for some reason results in him shooting free throws.

Reply #734882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

btw bogut averaged 0.6 assists per game more than cotton

Reply #734883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW Cotton averaged about 13 more points per game than Bogut.

And before you say scoring isn't everything, its a massive part of the game and Cotton has single-handedly won massive games with his scoring. That is valuable to a team no matter which was you spin it.

Reply #734884 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[so true. not only does he shoot threes but he also flops onto the floor after shooting threes which for some reason results in him shooting free throws.]

Best comment of this thread

A big reason why Perth now deserve favoritism

Cotton will average about 10 undeserved free throw attempts per game in front of that raucous 13,000 strong crowd

Reply #734886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not saying it isn't valuable or that he isn't a good player just saying he is one dimensional and is effective at one end of the floor only. also he is far more easily covered if he is missing from the team as proven by cats having wins without him. someone who is multi dimensional is much harder to cover for.

Reply #734887 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

"Sydney without Bogut would be regularly overpowered, out muscled, and teams would attack the hoop relentlessly against them. They'd be a high scoring team who lost most of their games- a bit like that United team a few years ago who had Kickert playing Centre."

Not relevant.

No one in their right mind would play Kickert in Centre. Kings would have an import Centre.

Bogut can not defend the on ball screens or perimeter. Too old and slow. Sure he averages 10 blocks pg, but gives away 10 jumpshots pg.

Reply #734888 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"No Cotton and Perth are still a good defensive team, a good rebounding team with a proven system. Steindl could play more time and would come off some of those screens that Cotton usually comes off. "

No Cotton and Perth are scoring 40ppg; Their defense would have to be extra special ;)

Reply #734890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"[so true. not only does he shoot threes but he also flops onto the floor after shooting threes which for some reason results in him shooting free throws.]

Best comment of this thread"

It is actually one of the most uneducated comments you could make.

Reply #734891 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[No one in their right mind would play Kickert in Centre. Kings would have an import Centre.]

And if Perth didn't have Cotton they'd have a Lisch instead. Another stud import. Ennis, Lisch, Cotton- their number 1 imports are generally good

But that's stating the obvious and misses the point

Reply #734892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No Cotton and Perth are scoring 40ppg; Their defense would have to be extra special ;)"

didn't cats have a winning record in the games cotton missed?

Reply #734894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cat fan logic - our team finished 1st therefore our guy must be mvp
it is flawed thinking
cats had the best 1-2 punch in the league with cotton and kay. no other team had 2 guys in the all star 5. that is part of the reason they could win when cotton was hurt. i.e. cotton is good but not actually that valuable for winning games.

Reply #734896 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Even the finished first argument doesn't hold much weight when three teams all had 18 wins. Again, can make a case for all three guys but it's lunacy to argue that one of the three doesn't deserve it - all three did, only one can win though.

Reply #734902 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

wnbl tonite....if i didn't have to guess ....i'd gladly confess....
....it is griffin....

Reply #734904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even the finished first argument doesn't hold much weight when three teams all had 18 wins"

Finishing first is massive. 9 out of the past 10 champions have been won by the team with HCA. Look at what had to happen for one of those "tied" teams to finish first - Cotton had to carry his team with unbelievable record-breaking performances. To dismiss that while just focusing on Bogut's rebounds is a pretty poor analysis.

Reply #734918 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm not dismissing Cotton in the slightest. All teams ended up with 18 wins and Ware/Cotton/Bogut were huge parts of that. If you read what I've written in this thread I would be fine with Cotton having won MVP - I actually expected him to win it, to be perfectly honest. I'm just not surprised Bogut won because he was a huge impact on both ends of the court (not scoring - his whole impact on the Kings' halfcourt). I also wouldn't have been surprised if Ware won. They all had strong cases. I'd have ranked them Cotton-Bogut-Ware, and I was surprised that it was Bogut-Ware-Cotton, but hey, it's clear how the voting process works.

Reply #734923 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A good case could be made for any of those 3. All 3 would've been deserving winners.

I'm also just resisting those who seem upset Bogut won. It's pretty ludicrous.

For the record, although it was a small sample size, Perth did just as well without Cotton this year as with him:

Won 91-86 vs NZ at home Nov 25 (Also missing Martin)
Lost 72-77 at Sydney Dec 6
Won 93-78 in Cairns Dec 31

White and Kay stepped up and averaged about 20ppg in those games. They're both quality players, as Kay's NBL 1st team status shows. Just proves it's silly to claim Cotton was single handedly carrying Perth. He was the biggest single influence on his team and their success- just like Bogut for Sydney and Casper for United- but it's ridiculous to claim he was a lone hand or something.

Reply #734924 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

i.e. cotton is good but not actually that valuable for winning games.

This is plain stupid.

Is that you Manu?

Reply #734925 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

We often have these arguments.

It's not the first time either.

Few years ago it was Ennis, Goulding and Clarke with many expecting Ennis to win, but Clarke won. Each of them had a strong argument for MVP, can't deny that.

Reply #734926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, the purpose of any thread is to be debate and discuss. If all you want to do is endorse the official result and insult people who disagree, piss off, go to facebook, and give Bogut a heart emoji.

There are always those who think it makes them appear smart, and/or morally superior, to agree with the official result. Such people add nothing to the discussion.

Then there are those who just like to be dickheads and pick on anyone with a dissenting view. Same same.

Then of course there are those who consider that the favourite was Cotton, and therefore turn this into yet another Wildcats bashing thread. Again, no value.

Take those people out of the discussion, and who seriously thinks this is a correct result?

Obviously Bogut (by NBL standards) is a great player. You can certainly produce lots of evidence to back that up.
But he was neither the best nor the most valuable.

As for those saying "there's more to basketball than points" or "points are easily replaced" That's only partially true. Games are won by points, and the other attributes are only relevant relative to scoring or denying points. Furthermore, none of the other top players were bums in the other departments.
Also, if points are so easily replaced, why don't more teams do it?

For the record, my votes would have gone as follows:
5 - Ware
4 - Long
3 - Cotton
2 - Trimble
1 - Bogut

Which I think in of itself highlights the problem with this voting system.
Having 3 voters from each club, simply compounds the problem. From some they probably got 3 completely different votes, whereas I am sure some would have discussed it.
With only 8 clubs voting, it is ridiculously subject to manipulation. If you stand for parliament, nobody really cares if you, and all your family and friends, put your main opponent last. In the scheme of things its irrelevant.
But imagine if say the Wildcats had all agreed to give no votes to Bogut, ware, etc. take those 45 votes out of circulation and it makes a huge impact.

I also don't agree that you can vote down Ware and Cotton on the basis of bad games, but ignore the great games they had to end the season.

You also can't escape the cringe factor, and the suspicion that something, somewhere, just stinks. From day 1, Bogut has been feted as the Saviour of the NBL. The "NBA Great" who deigned to come down and play with the mere mortals.
Now, low and behold, he takes out the two top awards.
This, you see, is the problem with a league with apparently low levels of transparency and accountability.

Of course it would be great if we could simply see the votes published. That would completely remove any stigma of illegitimacy, allow the fans to clearly understand how the result was arrived at, ans also expose any cockhead votes.

Reply #734928 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Of course it would be great if we could simply see the votes published. That would completely remove any stigma of illegitimacy, allow the fans to clearly understand how the result was arrived at, ans also expose any cockhead votes.]

There's probably only a small handful of people who think the MVP result is illegitimate

And they're all anonymous posters on internet forums.

Reply #734929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably only signed to play nbl if it was in his contract that he would win MVP. If Boone averaged the same everything that bogut did would he win it. No way.

Reply #734941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had to change the way the mvp was voted because he would never have won if it was the old system

Reply #734942 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There are always those who think it makes them appear smart, and/or morally superior, to agree with the official result. Such people add nothing to the discussion.

Then there are those who just like to be dickheads and pick on anyone with a dissenting view. Same same.

Then of course there are those who consider that the favourite was Cotton, and therefore turn this into yet another Wildcats bashing thread. Again, no value.

Take those people out of the discussion, and who seriously thinks this is a correct result?
So basically your argument boils down to "if you exclude the people who think Bogut should have won, nobody thinks Bogut should have won"?

Reply #734943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiot.
They changed the entire voting system supposedly to make it more easily understood and followed by the public.
So on that basis alone it is an epic fail.

Reply #734944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically your argument boils down to "if you exclude the people who think Bogut should have won, nobody thinks Bogut should have won"?

Reply #734946 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The idiocy of some people has no boundaries... The process behind MVP voting is pretty transparent, how can it be rigged?

Reply #734947 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'll be generous and say that the Wildcats have a loyal and passionate fanbase and Bogut in his 'feud' with Angus Brandt had become to them a target of vitriol and hostility and that is playing a large part in the somewhat childish reaction to Bogut winning MVP and the ensuing belief their guy Cotton was robbed.

If Ware had won MVP this conspiracy theory/illegitimacy nonsense likely wouldn't be happening. It's got more to do with Bogut (the enemy) winning than Cotton being passed over.

Reply #734949 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Cotton won fan's mvp. He did it despite NSW has more fans and any social fan would most likely choose a Sydney player.

Fan's MVP should be the award players go for, as it's voted by people passionate about the sport, anc are not too directly involved in the politics.

Reply #734953 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

OK, now fan's MVP has become the true MVP, got it. Too political having other teams vote for MVP (excluding their own players).

Reply #734954 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Ffs, why not just have both - a selected MVP and a fan favourite MVP?

Reply #734956 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Hoopie, they do, but the selected mvp is a farce.

Reply #734957 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They do.

The notion that players would feel better about winning an award voted on by a group that collectively knows almost nothing about the game than about winning one voted on by their peers is laughable.

Reply #734958 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

The fans should be able to cast a 3,2,1 vote in each and every game during the season. You then tally up the votes for a particular game and the three players with the most votes for that game are given an official score of 3,2,1

Then come gala night each game is displayed on a screen Sydney v Perth 1. BOGUT 2. KAY 3. COTTON revealing one by one for each round with a table showing cumulative votes earnt. Then end of round 18 the winner of the mvp is determined.

Reply #734960 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Only koberulz can speak for himself

Reply #734961 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great idea Trev, how does it work, an anonymous internet form? Ballot boxes at the arena? An sms message to a 1-800 number? Anything to take the power away from the knowledgeable professionals currently voting for the wrong guys.

Reply #734964 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cotton won fan's mvp. He did it despite NSW has more fans and any social fan would most likely choose a Sydney player.

Fan's MVP should be the award players go for, as it's voted by people passionate about the sport, anc are not too directly involved in the politics.

So by that logic you're suggesting Mitch Creek not Bryce Cotton should've won the league MVP award last season?

Reply #734965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus why so much hate for the fan MVP which is based on the unprofessional fan vote and your hate for Aylen as referee of the year as just a fan? You kinda come across as slightly hypocritical!

Reply #734967 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm fine with the fan's MVP award, but not pretending like it means more than the actual MVP. And I'll happily admit that my opinion of Aylen is my own, and the players and coaches around the league might feel exactly opposite to me. And they'd know more than I do about it, sure.

Reply #734969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a fair response Angus.

Reply #734970 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I have a hypothetical. If you swapped Bogut and Long how do you think the Kings and Breakers would have performed. not much to do with MVP but I'm interested in peoples opinion.

Reply #734974 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm all for the award as selected by the fans, even though it’s based on 'entertainment’ value (ugh).
I’m all for one based on votes by ‘knowledgeable people’. But who’s going to have a better understanding of the game and the impact of the players without skewing the votes seems to be the issue. Surely it would be the coaches who would be more objective than the players who are caught up in the emotion and are just focused on their immediate surroundings.

Have 3 awards:
MVP voted on as at present but allowing teams to vote for their own players
Players’ award, voted on by all players
Fans’ award, cos we want to maximise and reward fan involvement cos it is critical to revenue

I would think that the coaches’ one would be voted on every game, the players’ at various points during the season to make it accurate, and the fans’ one only at the end of the season. If the fans’ one gets skewed by the size of the team’s market, so what? At least there will be a greater number of fans involved in the voting.

Reply #734978 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Facebook voting after each game!

We could have a fans mvp won by the team with the most fa....oh, wait a minute!

I'm sure players would rather win fans mvp than the real thing which is clearly rigged

I reckon a few Cats fans are drowning in the hate Bogut pool, and are equally butthurt by losing their money after getting on Cotton at $7 pre season

I took that bet too, but fair's fair, Bogut deserved to win. As would Cotton....

Sorry, typo above. Cotton is the real and only MVP cos he's the fan MVP. My bad.

Reply #734979 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Think because of his name he got the award, you can't comment on his achievements. Longley got a threepeat with Jordan and for me is the most successful player to play overseas.

Bogut is arogant no deniying that, might be funny for him but would he pull a stunt like that at a nba event?

Reply #734985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, do you think they got the voting right in the coach of the year award?

Reply #734986 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Had cottons last few games counted would the vote have been different? May not have mattered, was always a three horse race. But imagine a brownlow medal that failed to include 3 rounds of performances.... besides coach of the year may have been the biggest embarrassment for the league.

Reply #734993 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The votes failed to count two games, one of which was Cotton's worst game of the season.

Reply #734995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So by that logic you're suggesting Mitch Creek not Bryce Cotton should've won the league MVP award last season?"

I think Creek was the most valuable player to his team last year.

Reply #734999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt anyone would have factored Cotton's performance in a dead rubber.

Reply #735001 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[LV, do you think they got the voting right in the coach of the year award?]

Check coty thread for my response

Reply #735002 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754