Nothing new there.

Reply #743889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news, rumoured weeks ago.

Reply #743892 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If you don't want to discuss something, then don't. Posting that it's "old news" is just asinine.

I'd wondered about this, as I keep seeing him listed as being Nigerian.
But I would have thought he met the age cut-off criteria under FIBA rules?

Reply #743902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Worthington made it sound like new news

Reply #743904 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I actually agree with Dazza.
Still getting idiots on this site with "old news or who cares" type comments.

Moneke might be better off staying in Europe if he can't play as a local.

Reply #743905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with who cares comments are stupid but if people aren't up to date then old news does have some merits.

Reply #743907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's good money in Europe but it ain’t in a low level team in French division two. I’d say it was an attractive offer to join SM, but not as an import.

Reply #743910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HIs situation is the same as Mathiang Muo's. Played for "his country" despite being Aussie.
FIBA rules are bullshit. Their heritage shouldn't preclude them being Aussie which is what FIBA is doing. Yes it is old news to those that know. What was Phoenix thinking is more pertinent.

Reply #743913 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Didn't Dave Andersen play in Europe as a local (on a Danish passport ( despite playing for the Boomers? I'm sure there are others. I thought it was routine.

Reply #743914 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sorry, my bad, I think the FIBA rules are largely irrelevant to this issue. He only needs to be naturalised to play for an NBL team.

If he hasn't taken up Australian citizenship, then that's something he'll need to get on to.

I don't know, but if he hasn't already got it, then his being away in College and then Europe might be an issue.

Reply #743916 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cram you're mixing the Kolpak rule in European club sports up since it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.

To be classified as a non-import in leagues were import numbers are restricted generally:

In Europe = have Euro passport even via heritage and you're a local due to court ruling when a Slovak player got cut from his German handball team
Anywhere else = e.g. in country X you have to be Xian
In NBL = need to be Aussie or Kiwi post-Breakers entry

I think Dazz is on the right path re: not satisfying residency periods after not taking up citizenship ASAP.

Reply #743924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news

Reply #743958 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It was news to me so that's all that should matter is that we get informed one way or another

Reply #744077 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6128932/chima-moneke-hits-fork-in-the-road/

As we suspected, his contract was conditional on him getting Naturalised before the start of pre-season, but it appears that won't happen.

Apparently he originally came to Australia on a diplomatic passport

Reply #744223 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's baffling how he's lived here nearly all his life and wasn't naturalised. He is still young but in the short term his parents' naivety has cost him.

Reply #744246 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's crazy how people just overlook stuff like this.
I went on a trip with some mates, as we're getting organised with passport old mate suddenly realises he's still a Canadian (having migrated when he was 5) and has to get the Consulate to rush him a Canadian Passport.
Then when we go to leave, get to the Airport, and Immigration points out to him that he won't be able to re-enter Australia without a re-entry visa. So he spends half the holiday at the Embassy getting the visa sorted.

Knew a family who went to the UK for a holiday (and to visit extended family) and their oldest daughter wasn't allowed back into Australia for months.
I don't know what the specific hold-up was, but the fundamental issue was that despite spending almost her entire life here, her parents being naturalised and all her siblings born here, she had never bothered to get Australian citizenship.

Reply #744307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ok if you are an au pair or Rwandan refugee getting out America, no problems. Lol.

Reply #744323 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The Brits are notorious for it -- they just assume Australia is still a colony. Then once reality sits in they cry on camera for Today Tonight.

Reply #744324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754