Anonymous
Years ago

Kevin Durant returns, appears to tear Achilles

So much drama when you add on the result of today's game but it is tough to know one of the game's great players might not be the same again. Was in his prime too. Hopefully it is not what it looks like but the post game reaction of warriors staff suggests otherwise.

Topic #45337 | Report this topic

jason  
Years ago

someone will be getting fired for this decision to let him play

Reply #746854 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Cant believe they got out of Toronto with the win, some really crazy calls at the end but the Dubs held on. Gotta wonder if they can now win 2 more without KD.

The achilles injury is one that tends to really change careers doesn't it?

Reply #746868 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It definitely can. Has the potential to turn Kevin Durant into Rashard Lewis... Just awful timing for him. Going to be interesting to see if the Warriors throw some money at him next season while he recovers.

Reply #746869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this injury will make KD stay in golden state, better to stay at a strong team while your future is uncertain

Reply #746870 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If he's torn his achilles he might not even opt out this year and pick up his player option and then become a FA again next year.

If he's genuinely on the fence about leaving GS that could buy him another 12 months thinking time and assess their treatment of him during that period. There were rumours before today that some in the organisation and even some teammates were annoyed that he hadn't tried to play in this series yet. The fact that stuff got leaked was bad enough but now they would feel like real jerks.

Reply #746873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worse thing was Toronto fans cheering the injury, good on Lowry telling them to calm down. Doesn't matter what you think of him, show some class.

Reply #746879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the Knicks still offer him the max, even if the first year is a write off

Reply #746882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're all jumping to conclusions a bit quickly. He's a competitive beast at heart, thats why he played and chances are he knew there'd be a risk as he was coming back from an injury already. He'll do his rehab with the best people available and when the time comes he will make a decision about his future thats best for him and his family, whether that's staying with the Warriors or going to another team no-one really knows because how many people saw him signing with the Warriors a few years back really?

Reply #746886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll have to opt out and try and cash in with the hope teams will believe he'll come back to near his best. A 90% Durant is still pretty damn good. Teams will be be definitely worried but Knicks for one need that gamble, they might even just sign him and look to tank again in the hope they get another high pick to surround him when he returns, the rest of the money they might give a 1 year deal at max money and then try and enter free agency the year after. Maybe Cousins could be in that boat, whilst his return this year has been good he definitely hasn't shown max money potential. And he could give KD good rehab advice ironically.
But I think this is the last we see him as a Warrior. Can't spend that money with all their free agents on the market. And definitely rule him out to the win now Lakers.
Really hope he comes back to his pre injury form, him in full flight is amazing.

Reply #746888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

toronto players deserve the chip, their fans however do not

Reply #746899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Durant came back and only produced 80% of what he does these days, that's pretty close to a max player

Reply #746900 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

GSW will win this series IMO.

Can't see them losing 3 in a row at home (even without KD).

Then it goes to a Game 7 and GSW's experience will reign supreme. Can you seriously trust Toronto in a Game 7 even at home?

I'm so frustrated because I want Toronto to win the series; it pains me to think that they've bottled it. Both in this game (Nurse's timeout) and that horror 5 minute stretch in Game 2.

Those are the moments you have to take when you're playing a championship team.

I can't believe how easily people are writing off GSW. Shocks me.

If i was Toronto, you'd almost prefer Game 6 to be in Toronto (rather than Game 7).

KD will stay at GSW now - can't see him leaving. Why go to the Knicks or elsewhere coming off an Achilles injury. Stay with GSW, get as much money as possible (even if thats a reduction), keep the core, become a spot-up shooter, play 25-30 minutes a game, score 20 points and ride coattails to championships.

Reply #746911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've already lost three in a row at home. 0-2 during the season

Reply #746913 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Horrible way for KD to go down. Really gutsy to come out and play and shows his commitment to the team.

The "Raptors fans cheering" thing is overblown. They cheered Ibaka with a steal and breakaway (and KD on his arse). When it became clear what the injury was the vast majority were respectful. There are awful fans in EVERY team's supporter group and yes, some of these showed themselves. It can and does happen in every stadium.

This series is far from over. I'm a bit of a basketball pessimist, but I think there's a good chance the Warriors come back and take this. Curry and Thompson are in great form, and they've got supporting players who know their role. They've been there and done it. I hope I'm wrong.

Reply #746916 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cousins is the X factor in this series

In the 2 games GS have won, he's played a key role. In the 3 games they've lost, he's sat on the bench or had minimal impact.

Curry, Thompson and Green aren't enough to win this series. The Raptors are an elite defensive unit. We saw this in Game 4 when the Raptors shot horribly in the first half and committed some ugly turnovers, but strong D kept them in it. Remarkably they were only down 4 at halftime.

I expect Cousins' contribution to correlate with the result, as it has for the first 5 games.

Reply #746938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754