Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Season 2019 Review

Doing my season review now as I want to give my tips for the Woollacott & other awards before the weekend.

Team reviews

Mount Gambier 17-3

The good: Riding an 11 game win streak heading into finals, having not be defeated since May 4th against Southern Tigers.

The bad: Suffered two early-mid season losses against Norwood and Southern after holding double digit leads in the fourth quarter.

Import grade: A. Barkley (24.6ppg, 14.8rpg) in contention for league MVP with a dominant all around game and the best import work ethic since Alex Starling. Dickson (13.6ppg, 9.1rpg) has gotten better and better as the season has gone on and is the perfect compliment to their Aussie contingent.

Local grade: A+. Tom Daly (22.8ppg, 5apg) is the best point guard in the league and while Burdon (12.5ppg, 3.5apg, 40% 3s) has been inconsistent he's provided them with timely outside shooting. Brad Rathjen taking on a starting role and averaging a very solid 13.5ppg, 4.9apg, 4.2rpg and Sam Daly (14.8ppg, 4.7apg) has provided good minutes whether he's been starting or coming off the bench.

North Adelaide 15-4

The good: Like Mount Gambier have ripped off 11 straight since a 4-4 start.

The bad: The aforementioned 4-4 start had plenty questioning chemistry and team hierarchy.

Import grade: A-. Starling has produced a typically consistent season with 21.1ppg and 12.1rpg along with his disruptive defence. Dowdell (15.5ppg, 9.6rpg) started the season well but has seemed to take a back seat towards the end of the season. He faded last season at West, the
Rockets will be hoping for a big finals campaign from him.

Local grade: A. McVeigh (24.3ppg, 6.5rpg) has had a fantastic back end of the season, proving to be a handful all over the court and hitting 3s at a 52% clip. Johnson has provided 15.8ppg and 4.8apg but has lacked consistency. Bench depth has been a question mark all season but Nick Marshall (9.9ppg) has helped here.

Forestville Eagles 15-4

The good: Kane De Wit has surprised this season, leading the league in assists with 9.5 per game to go along with 10.2ppg.

The bad: The bench, who aside from sometimes-starter Rios, often contribute very little.

Import grade: A-. Mays (21.8ppg, 10.6rpg) has had another outstanding season, peaking when Majok was unavailable and contributing on both ends while providing many highlights. Rios has been inconsistent, halving his 2018 average at 11.9ppg.

Local grade: A. Majok (27ppg, 11.6rpg) and Teys (20.5ppg, 4.8rpg, 4.2apg) have both had as expected seasons as elite locals. Harris (19.3ppg) has proven more consistent this year than last but probably hasn't shown that he's taken a major step forward in rounding out his game.

Southern Tigers 14-5

The good: Big comeback victories throughout the season, most notably against Mount Gambier in between Drmics departure and Gilligans arrival.

The bad: Cutting it fine against South, getting down by over 20 late in the game before staging a miraculous comeback. A similar story against Mavs earlier in the season.

Import grade: A+. Turnage has come back an even better player, improving his averages to 28.9ppg and 10.3rpg while draining 3s at a healthy 39%. Mid season replacement Gilligan has filled Drmics void nicely with 23.4ppg and 10.2rpg and 38% on 3s.

Local grade: B+. Johns (11.9ppg, 4.9rpg, 4.3apg) has taken a step back from his All Star 5 season last year, while Calligeros (10.7ppg) and Omamogho (8.4ppg) have proven inconsistent. Both Burns (6.6ppg) and Staude (3.3apg) have provided a punch at crucial times.

Norwood Flames 13-6

The good: Starting the season 10-1 including the only road win at the Ice House this season and 1 point victories over North and Forestville.

The bad: Limping into finals with only two wins in their previous five, including double digit losses to Forestville, Southern and North.

Import grade: B. Legan (20.8ppg) has been less efficient this year, shooting less than 34% on 3s, while Moultrie (10ppg) hasn't been given too much opportunity he sure looks a shell of his former self (albeit a larger, well rounded shell!)

Local grade: B+. Brine (17.8ppg, 9.5rpg) started off the season in great form but has regressed as it's gone on. Lycett (15.3ppg, 6.4rpg) and Andrew Webber (9.4ppg, 5.7apg) have had quieter years than previous.

Centrals 8-11

The good: Round 11 victory over Norwood who were 10-1 at the time.

The bad: Losing 5 on the trot to eliminate themselves from finals contention before fielding 6 players in round 19.

Import grade: B+. Riewer (14.6ppg, 5.3rpg, 4.8apg) has been very solid as a combo guard and provided leadership and experience to a side desperately in need of it. Jones (17.4ppg, 8.7rpg) was a solid undersized big import who left mid season.

Local grade: B. Diing (15.4ppg, 8rpg) has proven a handful inside and out while Luk (12.5ppg) and Dau (13.6ppg) have been solid, there hasn't been much in the way of depth.

West 7-12

The good: 3-0 start to the season, including a double digit win over Southern.

The bad: Pretty much everything since!

Import grade: B-. Jefferson is a solid to good PL import with averages of 21.3ppg and 8.8rpg but has struggled with foul trouble on occasion. No replacement for Heyward has hurt them.

Local grade: B-. Kubank (16.8ppg, 6.5rpg) has been solid but inefficient and hasn't taken a step forward this year while Thomas (12.5ppg, 8.7rpg, 6.0apg) has given all around production he is better suited to a 3rd or 4th option.

Woodville 7-12

The good: The return of Luke Stanbridge (19.3ppg, 9.1rpg).

The bad: Late season loss to Sturt when 6th place is up for grabs.

Import grade: C-. Surprisingly brought Perry (16.5ppg) back who never seemed fit this season and Clippinger (13ppg, 6rpg) who showed flashes but was too inconsistent for an import.

Local grade: B-. Boonstoppel (14.6ppg, 4.1rpg) could make a case for 6th man of the year, while Meldrum (8.6ppg, 3.8apg) and Nathan (10.4ppg, 3.1apg) have been solid contributors and will be a handy backcourt pairing in the future.

Sturt 3-16

The good: A more competitive back end of the season.

The bad: Going 0-11 to start the season.

Import grade: C. Rivers (10.8ppg, 6.4rpg, 4.8apg) was a poor fit from the start and took too long to find his role within the team.

Local grade: C+. Young core who will be better for the opportunities given this year. Sturt will need to decide which youngsters are worthy of time next year as they spread their minutes across too many this year.

Eastern 3-16

The good: Brandon Morris was an excitement machine who averaged over 25ppg and 10rpg

The bad: Team and club still largely seems dysfunctional.

Import grade: B+. Morris was great but Cherry (11.5ppg, 8.5rpg) was under skilled for a perimeter import in this league.

Local grade: C. Not a lot here outside of McGee (14.2ppg, 7.7rpg) who produced a solid season.

South Adelaide 3-16

The good: Like Mavs, brought one good import into the league with Allmon averaging 24.8ppg and 12.6rpg.

The bad: Pretty much everything else, culminating in a loss to a Centrals side suiting just 6 players.

Import grade: B-. Tough one to grade as Allmon is amongst the best in the competition but Zinser (8.9ppg) is among the worst to ever play in Premier League.

Local grade: C-. Possibly even less to work with here. Some serious recruiting or promotion of juniors will need to happen to make this team competitive any time soon.

Sunday predictions

Woollacott & MVP: CJ Turnage. Has had the most consistent season, improved from last season where he finished second and rarely has a bad game. Barkley and Daly as well as McVeigh and Starling will take too many votes off each other.

All Star 5

Guard: Tom Daly
Guard: Brendan Teys
Forward: Jack McVeigh
Forward: Kentrell Barkley
Centre: CJ Turnage

Hard to fit into positions but I think these are the best 5 if we are going by two back court and three front court players.

Fictional second team

Guard: Kane De Wit
Guard: Jordan Riewer
Forward: Majok Deng
Forward: Brandon Morris
Centre: Zach Allmon

Defensive Player: Alex Starling. Unlucky not to make either All Star team Starling is among the leaders in both blocks and steals. One of the best defensive players the league has seen in recent history.

Coach of the year: Nathan Hawkes. Brought his team together after a shaky start. Would have Mount Gambier worried leading into finals and meshing all those personalities together has been a master stroke by Hawkes.

Topic #45511 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty good write up actually, hard to disagree with anything.

Reply #751023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're an easy marker, wish you were my high school teacher!

Reply #751031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South have no promising juniors and they won't be able to recruit anyone because this years recruits are leaving

Reply #751032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swap Riewer and Teys.

Reply #751038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brendan couldn't collect his award - he flopped on the way up to the podium and suffered a concussion.

Reply #751044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What on earth has Riewer done to get all this praise?

Reply #751055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

055 you're not serious right? Are you new to basketball? Hope you're enjoying it.

Reply #751057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shot well one game. I guess that stands out when you play for Centrals.

Reply #751059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must agree with #055. We have played them twice and he has done nothing to warrant this ranking. I wouldn't take him into my club team let alone an all-star team.

As a general comment we tend to focus so much on scoring or offensive capabilities. Don't get me wrong but I think the team that plays best defense as a team unit will be hard to beat this year. From what I have seen North is that team and that is where the importance of their bench lays. I must I don't see much of Mt Gambier - I'm leaning to those two teams making the GF.

Reply #751060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make that two games. If his 3 isn't falling he doesn’t score much. Averaged 15.

Second best shooting guard apparently.

Reply #751061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont know whether riewer should be listed as the second best sg or not but those that dont rather than just pot him perhaps suggest who you believe should be in that role instead.

Reply #751066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PL coaches I've spoken to really like Riewer. I wouldn't be suprised to see him back next year at Centrals, or recruited by one of the top-5 clubs. His skill set and style of play would fit exceptionally well alongside more talented and disciplined teammates. In saying that, I don't agree he's top 5 in the league.

Reply #751085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the top 5 players are Daly, McVeigh, Barkley, Turnage and Majok big they don't fit the positional requirements.

Reply #751087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering that Riewer is playing with a rabble with no consistency on either offence or defence he's done pretty well. Previously had a good year in Europe a couple of years ago and a very good college career. Put him in a well run system and he would definitely be in discussion for top point guard. Somewhere like North would be great fit.

Reply #751088 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I watch a bitta TV game on Friday nites.
Tayla Corrigan sure looks pretty good.....

Reply #751097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What college did Reiwer go to? Division 1?

Reply #751107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloke averaged 12 against top 5 teams. Jet

Reply #751113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals have some great talent, one of the longest and fastest seen in a long time and great individual offensive players. What they missed was Jones leaving mid season so they had no inside game and lack of structure on both ends. Looks like they try to run motion but normally just ends up with a player going 1 on 1. And the culture seems terrible, players not showing up to a game, what other successful club would that happen at. Can see Riewer getting frustrated, can't see him returning, will make more money in Europe. And defensively they are terrible giving up too many points. Missing a big in the middle hurts, but their perimeter players are often lost and miss key rotations. Can't see Ricky getting COTY, sure they improved in win column but a lot of way weaker teams out there and their recruits suggested a way better season. Competition resembles the NBA eastern conference, bad teams making playoffs but would get killed out west. As I said they looked lost and culture terrible and buck has to stop with coach. Be interesting to see lineup this week, if those missing players get a game it's a sad indictment on club, and bit late to blood some youngsters in final game. Can see Sapwell getting job next year so he can start both his kids.

Reply #751119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allmon for Woollacott....easily.

Reply #751156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rogers for COTY. Ageing roster, essentially only 1 import and still easily in finals.

Reply #751158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good write up, with so many players having strong seasons there will be some who are very unlucky not to make the first five.

Inevitably, players statistics get quoted when discussing their performance. I have heard that there were some games played at one specific venue where the individual player statistics were woefully incorrect.

Has anyone else heard this? Or had direct experience of it?

Reply #751160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, happens quite a bit.

Reply #751163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rojo for COTY???? He isn't even their coach. Limping into the finals like Cliff Young. If there wasn't such a gap between the 6th placed team and their good start they have finished terribly, the worst thing you want going into playoffs. Fair enough he doesn't really coach them but getting Moultrie was a bad decision.

Reply #751164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it happens at a few places. I am aware of one case where they put the points for a free throw to a player who never had a free throw for the game. If they get that wrong then you can have no confidence.

Reply #751165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Michael lmao

Reply #751166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see D Webber was listed as an assistant coach for game against Forestville.

Reply #751167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rogers for COTY. Ageing roster, essentially only 1 import and still easily in finals"

Lol

Reply #751169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there are too many candidates for All Star 5 and not enough for COTY.

Reply #751170 | Report this post

Put Riewer on any of the top 5 teams with guys like Mays, Majok, Turnage, Barkley, Meveigh, Starling or let alone a team with a couple other playmakers that actually play in a system and his numbers sky rocket.

If you have watched any of the games that Centrals have played in, he literally has to get everything himself as they don't run anything. What I love most about watching him play, is he's one of the most unselfish imports I have seen. Can tell he's played at a good level in the German Pro A and Czech NBL. Plays the game the right way! Would be an unbelievable pick up for any team in the league and I'm pretty 90 percent of the league would take him. Also leads the league in Steals.

Reply #751175 | Report this post

Pretty sure*

Reply #751176 | Report this post

West Fan  
Years ago

Riewer went to Divison 2 Minnesota State Moorhead. Same Conference that Kubank, Pat Thomas and there import Jefferson went to. From what I was told, he was a D2 All American his senior year and his team went 35-4 and made it to the Elite 8.

Reply #751178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have any other imports been D2 all American in our league recently?

Reply #751181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows how underutilized he has been at centrals.

Reply #751183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was the "basketball times"second team all American in 2015

Reply #751184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NSIC is the best D2 conference in the US. Riewer is no slouch.

Reply #751185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aric Miller from memory was D2 all American.

Reply #751192 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Original Poster 511
Loved your write ups over the season and hope they continue through finals.
Season summary was interesting and well thought through.
I hope you are going to Halls/Woolacott Function and can provide a report on this day also
Would be good to see Blake Truslove recognised on the day and a few players would be glad that he has retired after a fantastic career.

Reply #751193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Versatile big man, if I remember, especially effective with the area between his forearm and upper arm.

No doubt, plenty will be happy to see him gone.

Reply #751195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah,

Basketball times 2nd team

NABC 1st team with Austrialans own Mitch Mccarron where McCarron was D2 player of the year that season. NABC is the list you want to get on.

He was also on 2 other All American teams that season. So he made 4 All American lists his Senior year.

And I would agree, he has been very underutilized this season but also playing with a lot of young kids. Honestly impressed that they have 8 wins. Would be fun to see him on one of the better teams next season. Would love see him on North right now.

Reply #751198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or West......but they may not be able to afford him. Or anybody for that matter.

Reply #751199 | Report this post

tornado  
Years ago

Surely Dickel would be a shot for coach of the year?

Reply #751202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doing a quick google it appears Devin Gilligan from Southern was an NABC Div 2 All American. I haven't seen him in person, how good is he? Would he be considered for all star 5 if he played a full season?

Reply #751205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My impression is that the statistics at Starplex can be particularly unreliable. A shame, tends to distort the statistical record of players' performances.

Reply #751206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the 1st Centrals South game online and afterwards was amazed at stats. Not even close when I rewatched it, they gave Riewer an extra 5 or 6 turnovers and ripped off Jones a dozen extra rebounds. Surely someone should review the games to make sure stats are correct, guys like imports rely on them to get jobs.

Reply #751216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Riewer was benefitted by not having some misses counted. But he is a good player & worthy of being in the discussion.

Reply #751217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickel COTY! For what, having a team that isn't a social team. Maybe as a recruiter for getting a couple of actual players but way off being a good team. Knowing him though it was probably himself that posted the nomination. Dick!!!

Reply #751218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some coaches have gone from bottom to top and not won so I don't think Dickel getting a couple of wins will get him many votes, nor will his attitude.

Sutton in the Women for me. Bello runner up.

Reply #751222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard Riewer and Boone on the womens team are dating. Wonder if Centrals can somehow get both of them to come back

Reply #751228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anything they'll go elsewhere together than stay at that train wreck.

Reply #751229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the refs don't check the stats sheet before doing their mvp votes. Those stats at Central sound very unreliable and misleading.

If the mvp is close, a couple of votes from Starplex could have a very unfortunate impact.

Reply #751233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't imagine it will effect the Halls or Woollacott voting.

Reply #751234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some pretty horrendous omissions etc. Had to impact if being at all relied upon.

Are you saying that refs don't look at stats?

Or that the voting won't be close? Deng to win it in a canter?

Reply #751239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Starplex stats will effect Woollacott or Halls voting.

Reply #751240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Battle for the wooden spoon tonight at Marion between South & Eastern with Sturt also buying in if they cant get the W against a 6 man centrals outfit.

Reply #751242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jefferson, Thomas and Kubank to combine for 20 each to send off Truslove and.... West lose by 35 once again. Calling it.

Reply #751243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw a video of Allmon crushing beers last night, i'd Be downing them too knowing I had to wake up the next day and play with that rabble

Reply #751246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely it comes down to the competitons manager to ensure that statistics at every game are recorded pretty accurately?

Mike Gibson letting the players down?

Allmon just getting in some early celebrating for his mvp win?

Reply #751247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allmon out with fat boy ciabottoni again, that family always latches on to imports

Reply #751250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South to finish in the basement this year. Underwhelming coach and players apart from Allmon. Tonight can't finish quick enough IMO.

Reply #751254 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

Great review
Clubs are responsible for stats, a few clubs are struggling to provide trained and experienced stats personnel. Fouls and scores are checked against official Scoresheet and stats corrected so they are correct at finalisation. The things that get missed most are Assists, rebounds & missed repeat shots, some turnovers and then things like classifications like fast break shots.
Umpires always get a full box score to check when doing votes, some rely on them some don't.
A single great import cannot win games against good teams on their own, they need the structure of good players around them.

Reply #751257 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

So Mt Gambier have a bye this weekend, next weekend off as a reward for finishing top.
Play final the following weekend at home and if win get the next week off then play a grand final the following week.
At least their players will be fresh.

Reply #751259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fresh and potentially out of match form come the big game.

Reply #751261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great review and agree with most.
Nice to see discussions in a PL thread for once and not hijacked by buthurt trolls.
I know, cue the buthurt trolls.

Reply #751262 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

Does finishing top help? I don't know the stats but how many teams who finished top made and won the GF in the last 10 years?
You could argue that older players benefit from a week off, but maybe younger more inexperienced players do better with keeping playing and their headspace in the winning zone.
Time will tell

Reply #751266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every club should provide competent people to record the livestats. Kryten, you are correct.

BasketballSA should be making sure that they do. But this has been a problem across the whole season. Hasn't been rectified. Mistakes haven't been corrected.

Not good enough.

Reply #751269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theres no way anyone should expect south to be anything special, just alcoholic party boys

Reply #751282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

encouraged by their coach

Reply #751286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

explains their shitty culture

Reply #751288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In his hilarious interview he gave, Petty described how he'd changed the culture and gotten rid of 9 or so players who's behavior wasn't up to it. Kind of makes you think how bad they must have been in his eyes. Anyway, hope Jonnek enjoyed his 30 pieces of silver and watches North advance in playoffs.

Reply #751293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

changed the culture for the worse thats for sure

Reply #751297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

probably got rid of all the serious players and just wanted to piss around

Reply #751298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Blake Truslove on a great career. A highlight surely was when he chased Shooter McGavin down to return Happy Gilmores gold jacket.

Reply #751301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Riewer is quality. Plays under a lot of control.

Reply #751302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood vs Woodville was 53-38????
Wow that's some low scoring!!!

Reply #751306 | Report this post

Cheatgles  
Years ago

Presumably these reviews are written under the impression Della Pia doesn't actually hit the court for mavs ? Bloke is a dead set spud. Can’t believe that bald muppet gave him a gig after his successful stint at the mighty lions.
Late push for hack of the year with his backcourt tandom big dawwwg Seb Vozzo.

Reply #751307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Della Pia played half a season on the bottom placed side in D2 mens before transferring over. Just shows Eastern will take anyone really

Reply #751308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait i thought you couldnt transfer clubs in the middle of winter season? whats the rules here?

Reply #751309 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Rules made to be exploited.cheateagles knows that.

Reply #751310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Mavs
Just a rabble of a club
Congratulations Blake Truslove

Reply #751311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You exploit rules for actually impactful players, this is just a case of random breach

Reply #751312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs have no one but themselves to blame for their horrible mess, the final nail in the coffin actually happened at the start of the 2018 season when two players who hadn't committed nor trained were allowed to show up days before the first game and walk into the team. Blatant favouritism for 2 players who were only average or less at this level ( one couldn’t) get a game in Woodville reserves at the time., and was allowed to train football during the week, yet started without even training !!!!!! What message Warhurst did that tell the players? Then there’s the two brothers who are given unlimited court time and favouritism without any connection to non performance in reserve grade, for years.
Well the final result is this ...... the players with any credibility walked in 2018 some at the start of the season and the rest ran for the exits at the end.
The club only won games this year through the dominance of import Morris and some hot shooting games from young Bald (leaving for college)

CULTURE = what Mavs ? You don’t know do you

Reply #751314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The two players laughed about it to some their team mates no wonder the squad was fractured

Reply #751315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Barton for Woollacott?

Reply #751318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Highest paid player in the league

Reply #751319 | Report this post

Mrs. Vozzo  
Years ago

Clearly reply #751314 was Seb Vozzo. As he's butt hurt from not being able to play an awful lot tonight. Way to take your anger out buddy. Teammate of the year to that kid.

Reply #751320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mav's players don’t mind a post on here hey. How about the West effort tonight. Coach McLean really galvanised the fellas into a dominant performance. Clearly awe inspiring half time speech led to their bench letting a 5 point deficit blow out into a 15 point deficit..

Reply #751322 | Report this post

Mr Vozzo  
Years ago

No one on here talking about Woodville 38 pts in a premier league game?? Time to give fans their money back I think.... they better have some big off season moves lined up. Personally I think wherever vozzo and della pia go are instant contenders. Both clearly unhappy at mavs.... almost a player vs coach boxing match last!

Reply #751324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live stats at the ARC must have broke down because game score was 84-74 flames

Reply #751327 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have to very concerned about Norwood effort too. 53 points going to really struggle in finals. Amazi g how wheels have fallen off at Norwood.
Time to clean out deadwood and get some youth. And leave the smart arse comments to others. So over people uninformed cheapskate. So no mavs to reply.

Reply #751328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live stats only had 3/4's showing but the bright sparks here clearly didn’t pick up on that.

Reply #751330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No kidding. Who sees a 53-38 score line and doesn't immediately suspect an error. The correct score is on the Premier League social media platforms.

Reply #751332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good individual games last night,

Bryan Jefferson- 36pts, 10Reb's 3ast. 16/25 from the field for 64%

Alex Starling - 33pts, 13Reb's 4ast. 11/19 from the field for 57%

Majok Deng - 33pts, 9Reb's 0ast. 12/14 from the field for 85%

Brandon Morris - 34pts, 11Reb's , 3ast. 14/25 from the field for 56%

Zach Allmon- 30pts, 17Reb's 2ast. 13/23 from the field for 56%

Jordan Riewer- 33pts, 6Reb's 10ast. 11/18 from the field for 61%

Nick Desantis - 30pts , 4Reb's 2ast. 10/14 from the field for 71%

I didn't see a final boxscore from the Norwood vs Woodville game.

Reply #751335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South dancing in the changerooms like they just won a championship then posting it on facebook is one of the most cringeworthy things ever seen

Reply #751336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seb Vozzo -9 in 5 minutes lol

Devin McGee 20 minutes 0 pts 1 rebounds

Some pretty impression individual performances

Reply #751337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's gonna win best player u20 this season?? Thoughts there’s a few decent ones

Reply #751338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So south lose they get bagged? South win and celebrate like a good cultured team should.... they also get bagged?

Reply #751339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Easterns players didn't piss off to a interstate tournament with 2 weeks to go, only the sheer terribleness of South prevented 2 losses to bottom teams. Another example of a clubs culture letting them down. From Cunningham to now Simpson that club is a mess, don't even think they'll be able to field teams next season in mens or women's.

Reply #751340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good culture ha ha ha ha

Reply #751341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singing a song and carrying on like you won the NBA championship after beating the bottom side and just barely avoiding finishing their yourself, doesn't create good culture, turning up to training, putting in the work and actually winning more than 4 games a season does

Reply #751343 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So mavs south central are a debacle. This has to be a major concern to admin of bsa. Also result of inequality of resources. Strong clubs at expense of others. problem rests at much higher level... needs major focus and planning...

Reply #751345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs are in bad shape when the coach and "club legend" Seb Vozzo are going toe to toe in a yelling match during the game. Mavs need a cleanout and culture shift immediately how anyone at the club thinks this is acceptable is mind blowing.

Reply #751346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you guys realise teams like south centrals Sturts average age is like 20 give them a break. They are trying to focus on building their juniors up... not every team has the budget to rebuy all new players every year

Reply #751347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs board need to be seriously looked at for the decisions they have made over a very long period on the mens side. Warhurst shouldn't cop the blame alone for poor results and an awful club culture.

Reply #751353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Centrals will be fine in the future, They just finished 6th in the league. With everything they have gone through this season, that is quite the accomplishment for the club.

Looking at the boxscore last night, they rolled out a reserves team to play with Diing and Riewer.

Reply #751357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm unsure with centrals their young core seems very uncommitted and don’t have a good understanding of system basketball.... individual talent they have a lot of but I’m not sure that wins finals in this league

Reply #751362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predictions on loosest team to make an ass of themselves at Woollacott?

My thoughts: Norwood/West/South on the men's side. & Forestville/Sturt on the women’s end.

Reply #751363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happening with the Norwood Woodville game?
Will those stats be fixed?

Reply #751365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Basketball SA's lack of interest in fixing the considerable problems with the individual stats at Centrals all season long, I wouldn't expect so.

Reply #751366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals is more like an AAU team than anything, just individual stuff all the time

Reply #751367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone on Forestvilles womens team old enough to drink?

Reply #751369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only about 90% of them.

Reply #751370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must have been a few 18ths this year

Reply #751372 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

Club resources are a club issue, not a BSA responsibility. I maybe wrong but South may have the most Juniors of any club, thus the potential for highest income from Junior payments. Junior payments support PL in all the clubs alongside sponsorship dollars. Sponsorship is equally available to all clubs, just need to get out and find them (not that it is that easy). Some clubs choose a different philosophy about imports ie Sturt who traditionally play their Juniors over getting imports. BSA has put money, time and personnel into helping some of the less successful clubs improve their structures in the last 5-10 years, but how those clubs use those resources is up to them.

Reply #751373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it simply that there is not enough player depth, access to financial resources and quality administration to sustain a competitive 10 (or 11) team league?

Folks have been debating the poor quality of the bottom two or three (or more) clubs for as long as I can remember. If anything, you add in Mt Gambier and the gap between the top hand full of teams and the bottom ones gets bigger.

And then there is a club like Sturt who are happy to go with an uncompetitive team, rather than find the money to bring in some better players to provide leadership on court.

No doubt the quality of play between the top teams has been high quality and very watchable. But the standard just falls away too quickly.

Reply #751386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far as I knew, Sturt's team finished top. Not sure why you would think they were uncompetitive.

Reply #751388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps the bottom four clubs merge into two for PL purposes? Keep all their other teams separate but join for seniors, e.g. South-Woodville warriors and the Sturt-Eastern Mavericks!

Reply #751389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ones going to merge, remember only a few years ago southern were a basket case spent heaps of cash won a few premierships on their way to being basket cases again

Reply #751393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For COTY it would be between Hill and Hawkes, slight edge to Hill. For Woollacott Turnage a deserving favourite but my Olbrich tip is Allmon, Hoppo might be the only other South player to get a vote so seeing as oppositions top player gets some votes, he would poll in every game despite losses.
*For Olbrich reference look up past winners from really shit teams.

Reply #751394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showing your age 394

Reply #751406 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

Touché 388

Reply #751409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think youll find that this isnt the first time those centrals kids abandoned their team. They were in the SAABL competition in 2018 and forfeited all of their last 5 games around the same time of the year

Reply #751413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It staggers the mind why so many people think who wins an amateur senior competition has any significance?

It's actually sending clubs broke. Southern case in point. If they tipped in as much cash to their juniors they may have more than a few competitive teams.

Even the bigger clubs (Fville,Norwood) spend way too much money when their junior progrms are average.

I like Woodville finally appointing some to focus on their juniors and I hope they give that person the resources to do a great job.

The PL serves a purpose for a small minority at each club that seem to have a loud voice.

Same old same old every year. Getting funnier and funnier to watch.

Reply #751423 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Its important to be financially responsible no doubt. All clubs have a responsibility to provide something for their juniors to aspire to.
Not everyone can play in the NBA or NBL. Why bother with junior development?? Every sport has and needs a healthy and competitive "State type" League. I enjoy the high level affordable games that the top end of the PL provides, certainly dollars have a role in this but those who are limited need to find a way to be better.

Reply #751429 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

363 obviously no clubs would want to amalgamate but 'proximity' suggests West Adelaide Woodville Bearcats would be sensible if any clubs have to merge.

Reply #751431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proximity probably an important factor.

Whilst it would probably never happen, it would be one way of reducing the number of teams without taking away any of the club's identity.

A strong PL, where people want to come and watch and good players want to play, especially with some new and improved facilities, sounds like a good idea to me.

A stronger, more competitive league might also help with sponsorship and even improve the League as a pathway to the NBL.

Reply #751436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMFAO juniors need something to aspire to at the expense of the program they need to get to that goal and then find the club has no spots for them because its win at all costs and that means imports and players moving constantly. Add to that their coaching director or BOM not available to do what they are employed to do 'develop juniors being a huge part of that' because they are coaching Premier League and hanging with their coach mates. LMFAO again PL serves a few at the expense of the many and usually the few are part of a select impenetrable and protected group. Sturt is the only club that has the right idea at this level and their success beyond their club speaks volumes. Clearly there for the players and not the coaches exclusively. The club is truly first and that means you look after the players. Player, Team, Club = success. Not the other way round like other clubs. Just take a look at where the juniors are across the board right now. More people are happy at the club with juniors who are developing and have a future in the game and opportunity than those who go to a few games over winter to fan out on imports and then go back to the frustrations of their teams and poor coaching.

Reply #751443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your sure that the Sturt management committee is not simply dominated by the parents of juniors who only care about their kid and have no real interest in getting a balance between the programs that allows both seniors and juniors to thrive?

Not sure that Sturt are the model to follow when looking for a strong and sustainable premier league.

Reply #751445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I don't think anyone admires the Sturt PL Women or their Junior Mens program that uses their PL to aid their success beyond SA. Such a terrible club. LOL.

Reply #751448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how can money be reinvested back into juniors? Most JDOs are just there to speak to disgruntled parents that think their kids should be in higher div. Then it's the case of finding coaches for div 3 or lower. A few clubs have even given that up saying if a parent doesn't coach they won't have one at all. Most camps during holidays cost just to put some extra money in imports pockets. So how to invest money in juniors? But a shooting machine? Dribbling goggles? Or do fees just get reduced.
Again most JDOs come in with best intentions of mentoring coaches, helping out at trainings, having workshops etc. Instead it's a case of cat and mouse on Sundays avoiding parents, either pumping their kids up or putting others down. Slowly but surely they're worn down and end up not giving a crap and just take the cash. If your club has one, what do they really do?

Reply #751449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#448, yes you are correct. Fantastic junior program. Senior women going really well.

I was not clear enough in indicating that I see their relative lack of success in their men's program as a reflection of misplaced priorities.

I see a consistently strong men's program as not beyond their capacity. Yet it is something that seems to consistently run below their commitment to their junior program.

Who are the state's strongest clubs overall? Sturt and Forrestville? Yet Sturt appear to place little value on their senior men's program.

A bit odd?

Not good for basketball in SA?

Reply #751453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL its the parents fault again if a JDO or coaches suck at what they do. How ridiculous. Grow up, admit your weaknesses, seek to learn, grow and develop, Build relationships and for god sake communicate with players and parents instead of being an autocratic coach that just coaches and ignores parents who should be in partnership with you. Be human, be honest and be accountable. So much defensive behaviour that suggests to me that it is a way to deflect and cover up incompetence and lay blame elsewhere. There is not hundreds of rogue parents out there making JDO's life so hard they can’t do their job. If they did their job then there would be far less complaints or concerns and even less if coaches where properly supported and educated by their JDO’s. Many are too busy doing other stuff that takes them away from their core role. Maybe clubs need to employ a qualified manager and a head coach that just deals with coaching and not have them coaching PL.

Reply #751455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt mens would be better if they didn't have so many of their players at college, Europe or playing for Australia !

Reply #751456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outstanding junior program.

Leading into a very ordinary senior program.

Just seems out of balance.

Reply #751457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^simple explanation:

Their elites go to higher leagues

Reply #751458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to remember that juniors become young adults who have study, work and other things to explore in life and thats okay. The ones who want to make a living out of it go os or college and others live their lives. They are more than just basketball. There are also differences depending on where you live, socio economics, work opportunities etc as well so each club will be different going in to YL and Seniors. Sturt caps its teams so they are able to manage their club well. In years to come that may change. Others have huge numbers that go on to Seniors and it becomes a community, its just different.

Reply #751462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#458 its not hard to understand is it really LOL

Reply #751463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many South Australians play in the NBL? (Less than 5?) And people on here want a bought elite PL comp that rewards financial debt and sponsorship. The only way PL will survive if its tribal and represents a club and junior program. Like the SANFL was in football eras past. Im not from Sturt but good on them for showing some ethics and philosophy. Thats maybe why they are so good.

Here's an idea out side of the box, what if PL teams were required to field 80% line up of junior program. That would force JDOs to work hard. And money to the right areas!!

Reply #751464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Sturt player is playing for Australia? And you'll find other clubs have kids at college. What ones are in Europe?
Sturt are probably the ones that 1st started the arms race with Ninnis and the Sturtysixers, if you wanted a DP spot you had to go to Sturt.

Reply #751465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would simply like to see more PL games at the standard of the games between the top 3 or 4 teams. Great standard, very watchable.

Reply #751471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't get competitive games all the time in any competition, AFL has teams not up to it, NBA has teams not competitive, England’s premier league just to name a few

Reply #751571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's true.

Other leagues, e.g. AFL, take multiple different approaches to try to assist teams to be competitive, and not allow them to be forever in the cellar.

In PL the gap between the better teams and the cellar dwellers is widening. Makes it harder to promote the League - to sponsors, imports, as a pathway.

Reply #751579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having the option of 2 imports does help even though you get what you pay for. If Centrals had kept Jones I think they would have gotten a few more wins. Then you look at other bottom dwellers. Sturt had one and he was terrible, Cherry for Eastern, West having 1, Woodville bringing back Perry and underutilizing Clippinger, don't know what they were doing there. And Zinser for South, wow, he was woeful. Most loaded up on a good import then got a budget one in. If clubs can succeed and get 2 good imports instead of breaking bank on one and getting scraps for second then it's proven they won't succeed. Norwood bringing back Moultrie when they have resources to get a good big will haunt them, probably thought they were getting same guy as a few years ago. Rest of the league were a bit worried but turned out he's a shell.
Plenty of players out there looking to start career and ours is a pretty good one. And some just looking for working holiday. If can get sponsor family for accommodation, a few clinics here and there, a cheap car, then it's not bad for 4 months or so. Just seems team don't do their homework.

Reply #751599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Possible to take positive steps without putting the juniors' parents in the poor house.

Reply #751605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why Perry cops so much heat, on points alone he ended up averaging more than

Riewer (all American )
Dowdell
Dickson
Cherry
Hayward
Carleton

Jones only average .9 PPG more .

Nowhere near the worst import re points return

Reply #751607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry was supposed to be their number 1 option and shooter yet shot 40%. Brought back and continued to be injury prone, only 12 games, of the others mentioned Riewer played in a system where he was totally unselfish and easily could have gotten extra 10 ppg more, and shot 50%. Dowdell and Dickson were role players and probably 4th option on offence, yet nearly outscored Perry, the others mentioned as before are terrible. And Perry's defence was terrible, his only job was to shoot and score, so contributed nothing else.
So that's why he's one of the bad ones, might have a good game followed by 3 bad ones then sit 2 out injured.

Reply #751608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also contributed about 3 rebounds and bugger all assists. Was bad last year and worse this year.

Reply #751611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cassella pulled the plug at sturt, be interesting to see who gets that job

Reply #751642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a huge loss for Sturt

Reply #751706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hUgE

Reply #751735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder how many experts on this forum will apply for job? Said they knew more than him.

Reply #751757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel for Cassella. Imagine being a jockey that is passionate about horse racing, finally getting an opportunity to race on the states biggest stage and being handed a three legged horse to compete with.
That would suck, and dont bother Sturt elitists with your " we look after our juniors " rhetoric, your PL program is average at best and it isnt the coaches fault.

Reply #751758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Janx and Jase

Reply #751778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they can ride a three legged horse...

Reply #751781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have for years been chastised by Sturt for not developing our juniors so that we can be competitive so that basketball in the state can improve.

So what happens when you move out of U18's does this theory stop? I would argue that Sturt do a disservice to their juniors who wish to continue to improve and reach the highest level they can but have no desire or intention to go to college. That route is only one option available to players.

When Sturt juniors venture out into the big world of seniors how do they improve? By playing? Maybe but if you do the math they may play 25 minutes a game for 20 games and they get 500 minutes of being challenged and improving. But wait - half the teams only are strong enough to challenge these players so maybe they get just over four hours of improvement a year.

At this level training is more important to continue that development. Being in a PL squad at a club where there are better imports or NBL players will help you develop more. Imagine training 3+ hours a WEEK against better players including scrimmages. Who will develop better? Top that off with a higher profile coach who has experienced first hand what it takes to train and play at the NBL level and that to me is the way to go. Yes some of these kids will play less minutes initially but when called upon they will be more than ready.

Yes these Sturt juniors do train but against who - other Sturt juniors who are not strong enough to compete as they should. They are not stretched at training and hence improvement stagnates as well.

If I was 19 or 20 at Sturt and had no desire to go to college then I am resigned to not reaching my potential or switch to a stronger PL club.

If the Sturt approach is so right why are we starting to see more players leaving Sturt to play at other PL clubs. There are 3 at Tigers. So does a guy like Max get better by training week in week out against the likes of Turnage, Dodman, Ellison etc or by training at Sturt against who knows who.

In my opinion if you have no intention of going to college, at Sturt and about to finish up in juniors then I would start looking around at the better PL clubs with good coaches if you wanted to get better.

Reply #751794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these sturt juniors not getting a game in seniors do have the option of going elsewhere to find a game, they aren't shackled to sturt for the rest of their lives

Reply #751796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes of course which is why some have left.

They just need to have the courage to step away from the blue and blue security blanket and accept there is a better way!

Reply #751797 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

Give the job to J Will. Hes the best coach there by a country mile.

Reply #751810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, Team player are you Phil. Was always Jason's biggest fan, kept him on the 6ers for years for some reason now backing him into coaching PL after doing juniors.

Reply #751821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely on the money

Reply #752250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting ?

Reply #752486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Four of Forestvilles starting 5 play 40 minutes each every week so it's not like they need a deep bench.

Reply #752488 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754