Big Ads
Years ago

NBL 2019/20 Fixture

So the fixture has been released and it appears only 28 games will be played in the regular season/minor rounds.

From an Adelaide perspective this means every team but Sydney and Melbourne will play in Adelaide twice, while the Sixers only travel to Brisbane and Illawarra once.

I was surprised (dissppointed) Sydney and Melbourne, two crowd drawing teams, play only once in Adelaide, especially with the move to the AEC this season, but someone has to miss out with the season capped at 28 games.

How does the fixture look to fans for other teams?

Topic #45512 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Where is Brisbane playing these days?

Reply #751016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the same thing with the schedule for Adelaide - very disappointing to only get both Melbourne and Sydney once at home. I'm happy to see more Friday night games.

Reply #751018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do brisbane not actually have a venue booked in? Lol

Reply #751019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

-Hopefully we see some of those Saturday games scheduled for night. NBL really missed out not having that tineslot last year. Wildcats Saturday games are apparently not midday so hopedully that means more night games.

-Hate how some teams don't play each other the full 4 games (2 home, 2 away).

-Seen some Hawks fans complain about the number of Sunday games they have, but i reckon they've intentionally done that to put them in that early sunday timeslot which means the game will be close to Saturday night prime over in the US for melo.

Reply #751020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks got fucked over

Reply #751021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Hawks fan and more importantly the parent of a 2 year old, I love the Sunday afternoon games because they work best for us.

Its the Monday night ones that are going to suck and I can certainly see why some people are not going to be happy about the hawks draw overall.

The two listed as TBC - I assume they're the ones that have been sold to Canberra? If so there goes the home Saturday night they have too.

Reply #751022 | Report this post

NTB  
Years ago

Nice fixture for Wildcats

- no midday games
- only 3 sunday games
- teams visiting only once: Cairns & Illawarra

Result!

Reply #751030 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

- no midday games
I can't see tipoff times listed anywhere?

Reply #751034 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Yeah, as a Hawkies fan, the Monday games are not great ones, but you have to assume that the NBL looks at the greater good for all teams.

The suckiest part about Monday games is that that's the arvo that U/14s play their games at the Snakepit, so that sucks a lot of the fanbase out of either playing their weekly game OR going to the Hawks game.

Maybe the Snakepit will schedule bye rounds or only early games on those Mondays & try & get all the kids & their fams to the games?

Reply #751035 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I think Monday and other midweek games are cool and ideally I think there should be one every second week, but instead of having these games favouring some teams more than others in terms of revenue they should be played in non-NBL locations in the future.

Darwin, Canberra, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Geelong, Hobart, Launceston etc can all host games.

The smaller stadiums would be filled for one off games and grow the game in regions no other major sports realistically can. Also has potential to grow TV ratings.

Reply #751036 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Won't lie I would have liked to have seen more games at the SBC for the Phoenix, be interesting to see how they go with filling the stadium?

Basketball scheduled like the old days where there is an NBL game every week in Melbourne will help generate news content but maybe not fans if they don't have a strong start to the season.

Bias SBC is easier for me to get to, less hassle than the city.

Reply #751037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix will lose money at State Basketball Centre at the current capacity. Always slated to only play 2 games (during the Aus Open) there until the expansion is completed.

Reply #751051 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I can't see tipoff times listed anywhere?"

It was stated in an article in the West Australian saying that they had listened to Wildcat fans and we would have no midday games.

Reply #751052 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Marquee Boxing Day game - Cairns @ Melbourne. Yawn.

Not certain, but I'm guessing Brisbane are yet to confirm venues as they're probs seeking to play more games at the larger Ent Cent at Boondall. I'd imagine they'd at least be wanting to play the higher interest games (NZ, Hawks, Melbourne) there.

Very glad the NBL have given the Bullets only one midweek game.

Reply #751058 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, have to say that as a Wildcats fan, I think the schedule is pretty fair.

I would not have minded 32 games, but if we go to 10 teams and more it becomes harder, so might as well bite the bullet now.
Cats play the next top 4 teams 4 times, MU, Kings, Bullets, and 6's.

We still get NZ twice in Perth, those are always big games, but only travel to NZ once. Winner winner chicken dinner.

We only get Hawks once in Perth, and whilst they will be big improvers next season, they have a history of not showing up for games in Perth.

Only 3 Sunday games, and no midday games.

Just got to wait and see on the Saturday games.
If those are all night games, I'll have to send LK a bunch of roses.

Reply #751067 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

Wildcats home games will be played between 2pm to 4pm on weekends.

Reply #751073 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Brisbane will be playing at the Queensland State Netball Centre in Nathan.

Reply #751077 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Wildcats home games will be played between 2pm to 4pm on weekends"

source?

Reply #751080 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

ooof.

Reply #751081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a season ticket holder don't really like Adelaides draw for the christmas-new year period. 5 games in 13 days, 4 at home, who has that many free days during the busiest holiday period of the year to attend games.

Reply #751106 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What is adelaide actual draw. Anyone broken it did.

Reply #751118 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Schedule is pretty fair Daz?

SEM - two road games out of their first twelve.
Melbourne - two road games in their first eight.
Cairns - five road games in their first seven - including a double in round 2.

Your argument may well be that every team by seasons end plays the same amount of games on the road but getting off to a winning start is a significant advantage - Perth are testament to that every season.

Reply #751130 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I specifically said "As a Wildcats Fan."
I'll leave it to others to evaluate their teams.

The debate about the timing of Home and away games is complicated, and I'm not persuaded by any particular version.
Apart from the advantage to MU (and sem) in having two extra games "at home" I think it all evens out.

Reply #751200 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

It doesn't. Take a look at Melbourne's schedule and compare it to Cairns.

Reply #751305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754