Anonymous
Years ago

The Mitch Creek thread

Still only 27 but has just missed out on Boomers and NBA in the space of a month.

Will he get another chance or has he missed his chance with guys like Cooks emerging and is he done with his NBA dream?

Needs to focus on his three point shooting which is why I think he missed out.

Should be interesting to see what kind of NBL season he has.

Topic #45660 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

I don't think he will be in the Tokyo Olympics team, I don't think he will make the World Cup team at 31 and certainly not the Olympics team at 32.

Unfortunate decision by Lemanis, I think Creek was robbed a bit.

Reply #754852 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Getting back to the NBA is likely over as to take a training camp contract he would have to void his SEM contract which for the reported $1.5M over 3 years is too big a risk.

On the Boomers front this non-selection makes it highly unlikely he will get into next year's Olympic team and with the snub I'm not sure he would commit himself to all the qualifying stuff for the three years after that especially if Lemanis keeps the job.

Reply #754853 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He could potentially look at getting a late season call up to the NBA (a la Bogut) if he has a good season (assuming SEM were willing to let him go or he has some kind of out).

If outside shooting is the biggest knock on his game, Simmons' presumed inclusion in all Boomers teams from next year on would make it harder for him. This might have been his best shot

Reply #754864 | Report this post

PerthComet  
Years ago

What were the rumours about the way he carried himself at camp which potentially led to his non-selection?

Serious question - Is Mitch Creek overrated?

He's a fringe NBA role player guy (like a Greg Hire of the NBA), but he hasn't accomplished much at NBL level at all.

No doubt he's improved and a quality local to have on an NBL side, but is his non-selection being overblown because of recent hype?

Naturally most aussies want to see him make the NBA, but that's coz he's "one of us".

Reply #754865 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

When it comes to his behaviour at camp, his want to try and "lead" players who were better and more experience than him caught the ire of the leadership of players and some of the coaching staff. He wasn't playing particularly well but was ordering others around and it wasn't taken very well. Then he shirked a team dinner to go get a tattoo. Stuff like this is a knock against him in a team that puts culture first.

And yeah, it probably was his best shot to represent Australia at something major. You can expect guys like Broekhoff, Maker, Exum and (maybe Simmons) will make themselves available for the Olympics and with that kind of depth its hard to imagine Creek making it unless he is basically NBL MVP and increases his three point shot drastically.

Was Creek hard done by? I don't think so. I don't buy the "Bullets Bias" hype. I think that they needed certain roles filled and he just happened to slip through the cracks. What he can do is covered by other players. He defends hard? So do the rest. He's athletic? So are some other guys. The reasons he didn't make the Boomers team are similar to why he didn't get a full NBA roster spot. It isn't necessarily that he isn't as good, or better, than some of these guys. It's just, what is his point of difference? What is his specialty? There isn't really one. You could say his specialty on an NBL team is leadership, but that wont transfer to a team with legitimate NBA guys who are going to look at you cockeyed when you try to "lead" them.

I personally probably would have picked him for the team but I do think the outbursts we're seeing since his omission have been overblown.

Reply #754871 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boti on the bizarre exclusion of Creek from the WC team:

No, sorry. You got it wrong. Try again. Any Boomers team for the 2019 FIBA World Cup which does not include Mitch Creek or Deng Adel already is flawed, particularly when the spectre of Brisbane Bullets bias looms largely over it.

Not a fan of raining on anyone's parade but someone has to say what so many of us are thinking and that is, simply, joining the Bullets - the NBL club of Boomers' coach Andrej Lemanis - does now strongly indicate you immediately have your foot in the national team door.

Before even talking about the 12-man team's final selection, even recently when Ben Simmons withdrew from participating in the Worlds, his squad replacement was Brisbane's Jason Cadee.

Not knocking Cadee for a second because he didn't select himself. But clearly, playing for Lemanis and the Bullets didn't do him any harm either.

Leaving out Creek, the NBL's People's Choice MVP a year ago, a star at Long Island Nets in the G-League, a man on the cusp of an NBA career who was the face of the Minnesota Timberwolves at Summer League, frankly is absurd.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/boomers-omissions-make-no-sense/

Reply #754921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love this part
"Point to his 3-point inconsistency if you will - not sure his percentage is any worse than Simmons' might be"

Instant credibility with that line of reasoning LOL

Reply #754923 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Boti Nagy advocating for an Adelaide player? Colour me shocked.

Reply #754924 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

Reading that possibly he tried to lead the guys in camp sounds about right. Did anyone watch his interview on Overtime. He was all int himself i thought. Talked about how the wolves wanted him back and how he spoke candidly to wolves in his exit interview about there need for leadership and how he didnt hold back when criticising things with the organisation. And then still didnt get signed. Not to mention no reason why he didnt or go g league.
Dont get me wrong. Im happy for the bloke but you also gotta fall in to line sometimes.
Imagine telling someone superior or experienced how your going to make them better when you havent made it yourself.
I get the feeling he thinks he has paid his dues.
Has he? Im not sure.

Reply #754926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't that good

Reply #754934 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

" love this part
"Point to his 3-point inconsistency if you will - not sure his percentage is any worse than Simmons' might be"

Instant credibility with that line of reasoning LOL"

Yeah, it's almost as though Ben Simmons and Mitch Creek are comparable players or something lol. Simmons is a universe better than Mitch Creek so to even pretend like that was a valid point was shocking from Boti.

"Reading that possibly he tried to lead the guys in camp sounds about right. Did anyone watch his interview on Overtime. He was all int himself i thought. Talked about how the wolves wanted him back and how he spoke candidly to wolves in his exit interview about there need for leadership and how he didnt hold back when criticising things with the organisation. And then still didnt get signed. Not to mention no reason why he didnt or go g league.
Dont get me wrong. Im happy for the bloke but you also gotta fall in to line sometimes.
Imagine telling someone superior or experienced how your going to make them better when you havent made it yourself.
I get the feeling he thinks he has paid his dues.
Has he? Im not sure."

Yeah, it strikes me that Creek would be an excellent motivational speaker - provided of course the people he is motivating aren't as good as he is. So that is why that shit can 'maybe' fly in summer league and 'maybe' fly with the Boomers Asia Cup Team but rubs about 6 or 7 guys ahead of him the wrong way in an A Grade Boomers team.

Reply #754937 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, Creek is overrated by some.

By all accounts, his ethic and workrate were appreciated in NBA training, but you have to remember WHY such things are appreciated in Fringe players and guys on 10-day contracts.
If they bring you in on a short-term contract because you're a gun shooter, there's a chance they actually want you on the bench to provide another scoring option if things go pear-shaped.
If they bring you in because you train hard, its because they want to put pressure on their bench players to lift their game.

He's done his best, and paid his dues in the G-League, from this point he would need some level of commitment to keep flogging that horse, and I assume he didn't get it.
To turn down what would be a very nice contract at SEM, and the chance to star in front of his "home" crowd, would be a big ask. (And then how long do you keep it up for? If he plays another year in the G-League and gets another couple of 10-day deals, does that mean he stays again??)

As for not being selected for the Boomers, as a backup player I think his lack of versatility hurts him. He is simply too small to backup the 4, and his 3-point shooting isn't good enough to play on a wing. He can basically only play the 3, and there's no doubt that Ingles and Cooks are ahead of him. To get a depth position, he would need to be more flexible, and/or offer a unique role-playing aspect. He doesn't.
He's just a bloody good SF.
It's like that bloke who was the 3rd best 1,500m swimmer in the world, and couldn't make our team because we also had 1 & 2.
He was the 3rd best SF in a team with only room for 2.

Reply #754939 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

It's alright for Lemanis to talk crap about skillsets and balance of the team. The reality of it all is that when the opposition is having it's way and is into a double digit lead, what is Lemanis really going to need. Mitch Creek is an obvious answer.

Reply #754954 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

It must have been Mitch 6 from 12 from beyond the Arc at Summer league that let him down.

Shouldn't sit in the corner if he is only going to hit 50%.

Pitty his first 4 attempts in summer league were misses, then went 6 from 8.

Reply #754962 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah but Gliddon struggled in the first two days of camp and then hit some shots in the last two days of camp so...

Reply #754974 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"t must have been Mitch 6 from 12 from beyond the Arc at Summer league that let him down.

Shouldn't sit in the corner if he is only going to hit 50%.

Pitty his first 4 attempts in summer league were misses, then went 6 from 8."

LOL. Yeah, I guess those 12 shots mean the world then. Forget his stats for the past few seasons because he shot well in one tournament.

Reply #754975 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Yeah forget that creek spent whole seasons barely attempting a 3 pointer

Reply #755056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what kind of progress his game his made when he's back in the NBL. I'm sure he's improved, but I doubt he'll suddenly become a star from a bit of fringe NBA time.

Reply #755063 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It wasn't long ago that Joe Ingles eyeing off a 3 pointer made me react like "nooooo!!", so some players can turn their shooting around pretty drastically.

I'm not convinced about Creek either in that department but it's clear he has been putting work into it. So yeah I'm very keen to see him this season too.

Reply #755081 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Rumour has it players nicknamed him 'Bitch Creek' due to his behaviour in camp.

Reply #755083 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Rumour has it that 9 out of 10 hoops.com.au rumours are BS.

Reply #755084 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

at #063. Creek was a star when he left NBL to chase his dream. He was voted fans MVP. I expect he will absolutely dominate this season, especially when he plays the 36ers.

Reply #755087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now there's some revisionist history if I've ever seen it.

Reply #755091 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I like Mitch Creek but that ends when he plays the Sixers. I still wish him all the best in chasing his NBA dreams though.

Reply #755101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries played in both the G-League and the NBA last season and didn't make the Boomers squad. He also holds an NBA contract, as of right now, inside of the 2019-2020 season, yet he does not have his own thread That's probably because he played for Sydney in the NBL and not Adelaide, so he is not as overrated around here. Time to close this thread.

Reply #755111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^
Bam

Reply #755138 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Touché

Reply #755156 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"He was voted fans MVP"

If you must keep bringing up that most pointless piece of trivia, then Creek must really be shit

Reply #755160 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shit creek

Reply #755164 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

It'd be funny if he skipped the last team dinner to get a tattoo that said Boomers

Reply #755174 | Report this post

Perfwerld  
Years ago

Rumor has it that people see Perthworld and think Bitchworld due to his behaviour on this forum

Reply #755179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1.5mil??? Lol no. Each year of his deal is worth 350k.

The highest paid player this year still remains Bogut, who is on 800,000.

Reply #755216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is only on about 180,000. There import PG is on more than him.

Reply #755217 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Hope SEM coach lets Creek play on Gliddon when they meet Brisbane, ha!

Reply #755442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ $180,000 get the fuck out of here. How you know this??? Pretty sure Creek would go overseas if his NBL contract was under $500,000 a year

Reply #755454 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

"Isaac Humphries played in both the G-League and the NBA last season and didn't make the Boomers squad. He also holds an NBA contract, as of right now, inside of the 2019-2020 season, yet he does not have his own thread That's probably because he played for Sydney in the NBL and not Adelaide, so he is not as overrated around here. Time to close this thread."

Agreed!

Reply #755456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries played in both the G-League and the NBA last season and didn't make the Boomers squad. He also holds an NBA contract, as of right now, inside of the 2019-2020 season, yet he does not have his own thread
Lots of talking about it, not a lot of starting threads about him...

Reply #755479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754