Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Grand Final

The two best sides for the year have earned their way through to the Grand Final in what promises to be a high quality game.

Matchups
Tom Daly (22.9ppg, 5.1apg) vs Kane De Wit (9ppg, 8.8apg)
Daly has the advantage here against his former understudy in De Wit. Mount Gambier plays at the fasted pace in the league and Tom is a huge reason why - steady and in control, but always playing quick. De Wit sets the table for the Eagles and has had a significant impact this season but might struggle to contain Daly here.

Erik Burdon (12.3ppg, 40% 3s) vs Mike Harris (18.5ppg, 38% 3s)
Battle of the snipers with both being elite long distance bombers. Burdon has plenty of experience in big games, where Harris has been inconsistent when faced with the big moments. If either is able to hit 5+ 3s it could go a long way to helping their side.

Brad Rathjen (13.5ppg, 4.9apg) vs Brendan Teys (19.8ppg, 4.6apg)
Teys leadership helped Forestville last week, scoring some clutch baskets in the final quarter. Rathjen has been given the big tasks on a lot of the best wings this year and done admirably, while also producing down the other end. Teys ability to get clutch baskets will be important for the Eagles.

Kentrell Barkley (24.7ppg, 15.1rpg) vs Majok Deng (28.2ppg, 11.3rpg)
The best player on each team and the biggest matchup for the game. Both have had huge games for their sides, including against each other. Majok had his way last week against Norwood, scoring in a variety of ways. Barkley is a bulldog with a huge motor and outworks the opposition regularly. If Majok is moving better than a fortnight ago, the Pioneers could have their hands full trying to stop him.

DeJar Dickson (13.1ppg, 9.1rpg) vs Greg Mays (21.5ppg, 10.5rpg)
Mays has the advantage here with superior athletic ability and a wider skill set. Dickson is a staunch defender though and can make Mays life difficult. If the Pioneers can break even here they would consider that a win.

Key bench players
Sam Daly (14.8ppg, 4.8apg)
Lachlan Hunter (7.8ppg, 4.5rpg)
vs
Jake Rios (10.6ppg, 41% 3s)

Neither team runs particularly deep but the Pioneers are likely to have slightly more bench minutes on Saturday. Daly is a starter level player who has quietly had a good season in a different role. With his ability to get on the rim and find others he can be a handful. Hunter will provide spot minutes in the 4 and 5 spots to relive their imports while Rios has played an important role for the Eagles down the stretch as De Wit has played slightly less in the last month or so.

So who wins? Form is hard to go past and the Pioneers have found the win against the Eagles every time. If the Eagles are to win, Majok would have to score 40+ and have at least 1, possibly 2 go with him in scoring 20+. The Pioneers have more avenues to victory and I think will take home the Premier League title.

Pioneers by 6.

Sturt play Forestville in the women at 6:15pm in what promises to be a huge game between rival clubs. If someone with knowledge of the competition could do a write up that would be fantastic.

I also have to say the talent on display this year in the Premier League has been exceptional. With finals going on in state leagues all across the country at the moment, I think these grand final teams would stack up in any league.

Topic #45714 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was in Mt Gambier I would give it to Pioneers, not easily, but best home advantage in league and their experience. On neutral ground, but a lot longer trip for them they lose a lot. Just like Melbourne teams playing interstate teams in AFL grand final. Their experience again in years past in traveling will help for sure but I think it does advantage eagles.
The other thing besides players is the rest factor. While it's good to get a break at end of season to clear up some niggles, Mt Gambier have only played 2 games in a month if I recall correctly while Forestville have been facing competition each week. Bodies like Deng and Teys have plenty of miles on them but should be all good for the big one. Deng was supposed to have a question mark on him last week with soreness yet dropped 39 so can't have been too bad. Does anyone know if Mt Gambier played any practice games during their break?
Fouls will play a factor with very limited benches, so if any starters get into trouble it may sway things.
Then there's the Harris factor, if he chokes again then forestville will be in big trouble. I expect Hill to target him and let Teys and Deng get their's. And if Burden can match or surpass Harris, advantage Pioneers.
End of the day I personally have a feeling Forestville will get the chocolates, hopefully the refs let them play and as mentioned earlier, fouls don't become a factor. Didn't like the whole DJ situation last year and was glad they didn't win, but I think home ground advantage might be the ultimate factor. Eagles by 10.
Only thing I'm not looking forward to is Whitmore crapping on in commentary, can see myself putting it on mute very early. Really don't know why they have one of worse coaches doing a second rate Brian Taylor impersonation.

Reply #756026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you go to the game won't have to worry about commentary. If you can’t get to the game surely being thankful for a livestream should be the attitude.

I think pioneers will have only played one games in 34 days leading into the gf. That could count against them.

Forestville are extremely reliant on Deng. If he is foul trouble or a poor shooting night it good night eagles.

Tipping it will be a great gf with pioneers just getting the 'ship

Reply #756053 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree about. Go to the game or maybe put onmute you moron. If don't like listening don't listen. Stop complaining about Jack shit. Simple don't like something don't do it. Don't care about your opinion.

Reply #756060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if you can stream the game?

Reply #756063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 game in 4 weeks should have every punter pretty worried. If Forrestville have odds over $2.10, you are taking that.

Reply #756067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG, you don't care about my opinion, that hurts my feelings. Just putting out there they can get someone better than Whitmore, did you hear him last week.
And yes I'm grateful about being to watch it online, and as I mentioned will probably put on mute, but it seems English must be your second language or you're just stupid, think its probably the latter.

Reply #756076 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No didnt listen to him because I didn't watch the stream. That's my point moron.... Don't want to hear him don't listen. Seems perfectly smart thing to do. So who is the idiot... by the way proof read yourself.... not that your lack of skills bothers me.

Reply #756078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Battle of the budgets", Scott Whitmore.
Yep, thats the sole reason his teams cant win.

Reply #756082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly does bother you if you keep commenting.

Reply #756085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone mentioned how bad Andrew Webber is on this thread yet?

Reply #756112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has now.

Reply #756117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount gambier should get Webber to play he's the best player in the league I hope I can get his autograph tomorrow I just want to have a photo with him

Reply #756163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount gambier should get Webber to play he's the best player in the league I hope I can get his autograph tomorrow I just want to have a photo with him

Reply #756164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm more pissed off at the $6.50 handling fee to buy a ticket online, absolute rip off.

Reply #756170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you pay online, not going to be a sellout

Reply #756217 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

people pay online to avoid the horrendous ticket line at the gate due to BSA only rostering one person on the ticket sales booth

Reply #756347 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

How much are the tickets at the gate?

Reply #756405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$10 at gate on game night.

Reply #756414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Scotty is doing a roving Brian. Maybe listening in on timeouts he might learn something.

Reply #756509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen on Facebook a post from a west adelaide nobody, can't believe he’d talk all that and they didn’t make the finals

Reply #756534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh man another Daly choke in a final. If only some hoops expert predicted this 3 months ago

Doh.

Reply #756539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite the choke , Tom spoke really admirably of the competition and the struggles they faced to enter the comp. Really well spoken

Reply #756540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Harris is KING. Bigtime game from the young fella

Reply #756541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlucky beating a team three times in a row then losing the big dance. Honestly thought Pioneers would beat us tonight and after being 15 odd up thought game was over. Great speech by Daly. All the best to them wherever they play next. Harris 17 points in the third was immense.

Reply #756543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the one game in 34 days as prep hurt the pioneers. Taking nothing away from forrestville though probably would have won anyway just might have been closer. The change to zone defence in the second half stopped the pioneers. That was after they had recovered from a poor start.

Reply #756544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Harris the best future player in PL?! What a star! Can't wait to see him rebound for the 6ers on game days.

Reply #756545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know who the arm bands were for?

Reply #756546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

imagine struggling against a zone

Reply #756553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Daly is a class act, both in ability and character.

Where are all the "Harris is overrated/choker" posters at? Plebs.

Reply #756554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"imagine struggling against a zone"

thats what happens when guys like sam daly spend all their time raiding girl's inboxes instead of actually developing a jumpshot

Reply #756555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Forestville for buying another championship. What did they get for winning last night? Oh that's right, a massive bill for their season.
It’s good that their juniors are happy to pay for this every year. The committee have certainly bluffed their members.
Imagine if that club put any resources into developing their coaches and in turn their players.

Good crowd last night and interesting game but let’s be realistic about what this actually means.

Reply #756561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt they have much of a bill with all the business logos plastered over their playing tops. Maybe other clubs could look into this crazy new "sponsorships" idea.

Reply #756562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With that crowd can you imagine how much money BSA would have made if they charged Mt Gambier entrance prices. If they did they could have hired a mathematician to explain to them that 14.001 minutes is more than 14 minutes.

Reply #756563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supply/demand, 100s wouldn't have gone if it had cost $30 and did what I did and stay home and watch Australia and Canada as well as stream. Don't think they made millions with those ticket prices.

Reply #756564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, sucks for Mt Gambier that there is absolutely nothing else to do up there, otherwise their prices would be in line with the rest of the clubs.

Reply #756565 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

EAGLES TWO!
Harris the mighty!
Anonymous victim, wining sooks. FUX U!

Reply #756566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Rios carried on like a bit of a pork chop post game. Not like it's an NBA Championship.

Reply #756567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But a Pioneer player getting the crowd involved 15 down with a minute to go was fine I'm sure

Reply #756568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude obviously you have a reading problem. Post game!! Smh

Reply #756569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not at all. You're getting mad at a dude celebrating a championship, I’m laughing at a bloke losing super gracefully.

Reply #756570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't lose so it’s ok warrior

Reply #756571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the same West fan as above. Might make the top 5 next year champ never know

Reply #756572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might want to read again, I didn't lose. If you take your medication you might be able to work it out. Thanks for playing.

Reply #756573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

573 talk about carrying on like a pork chop...

Reply #756576 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Money money money honey.

Reply #756581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville fan upset at players celebrating? Yes we all believe you

Reply #756585 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

without doubt Forestville are the premier SA club - outstanding junior program (regular state champs winners + winter season premiers), seniors have dominated premier league men and women that last decade. Loads of depth at the club everywhere. Well done Eagles.

Reply #756587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because he is a part of my club doesn't mean I have to condone the carry on. Sorry I’m no sheep.

Reply #756591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez I didn't realise there were older people at the game than Andy’s mum, but here we are. Sorry waving his hands upset you.

Reply #756592 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lack of respect.

Reply #756594 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

I should mention Oceania the mighty as well!

What kind of weak anonymous tosser drags someone's mum into put downs?

Jake was ecstatic at winning good on him. Great team man.

CRUNTS are fuxed here.

Reply #756603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up Harrison. Good game for her to finally show up in.

Reply #756606 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

:(

Reply #756628 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Andy is a genius. Fair and square this year.

Reply #756642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a neutral point of view,the mens game was played at a high quality,the MVP was a outstanding player,i do not know if he is that good most games ,if so the 36ers should give him a trial.On the other hand the girls game was a dogs breakfast,the standard has gone back a mile compared to some of the past finals.

Reply #756648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already signed as a DP. Not sure if troll.

Reply #756649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why you keep bagging Scott Whitmore. Just a passionate basketball man

Reply #756690 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Never ceases to amaze me how these fantastic game write ups each week turn into a slinging match full of BS and misinformation. It doesn't matter what BSA or the specific clubs do, the keyboard warriors won't be happy.

The GF Saturday was good, cheap, family entertainment. The game was played at a high standard and both teams did their clubs proud. The inclusion of the Pioneers this year sparked interest and upped the standard of the other clubs so they could compete. (not all clubs obviously)

Daly spoke well post game as did Teys. I'm not sure why anyone would have an issue with Jake's celebration. He just won a championship, only one team can do that each year so he's entitled to celebrate and show passion for the game and club. Especially after last year at Mavs.

Harris proved the doubters wrong with a MVP game. People forget he's 19-20, he's going to have off games. If you listen to his post game interview he addressed that well. Give the kid a break people, how was your basketball career at 19?

Also, all clubs have costs involved to put two PL teams on the floor each year, before any player spend on imports or 'hired guns'. BSA costs alone are $5 to $6 grand. Then there's court hire costs for trainings as well as any coach payments. This money comes out of any clubs income whether its from juniors, fundraising, canteen etc. As for player payments in the case of Forestville I'm pretty sure they had 4 paid players this year with that money coming direct from sponsors.

The argument that the money should go into junior development and coaches is valid, although these same sponsors aren't going to put in the same $$ if they can't see what they get for it. If they see 36er's or imports at their club due to their sponsorship then they're happy. This obviously isn't the case with all sponsors but those that want to sponsor PL want to see what their money gets.

I really don't understand the argument around 'buying a championship' as all the top clubs pay players, its what the league has become. If only one club did it and won every year then I'd get it but almost all clubs have some sort of player payment costs and i suspect that most of the top 4-5 would spend very similar amounts.

Anyway, most of those that bother to read this will no doubt shoot it all down as they know it all but I've had my say, for what its worth.

Reply #756738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I might be out of touch what the BSA charge is? Do you mean payment for referees or something else?

Reply #756759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Cameron Bell, you deserve that championship with all the hard work you put in

Reply #756766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a random person to flame

Reply #756770 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

#759. Yes the BSA costs include referees and other incidentals. Then, because clubs don't own or operate their stadium they need to pay for court hire, usually a school, which can add up to around $8k to $10k.

#766. Why hang shit on Cameron Bell? I'm sure he works just as hard as any young premier league player. He'd train with the squad, play each week in reserves and contribute when given the opportunity on a Saturday night. I guess he's not working as hard as you do siting at your keyboard in your jocks with CC crumbs stuck in your chest hair.

Reply #756800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the sounds of Teys speech, Cam and all the other young players did deserve it.

Reply #756857 | Report this post

Zac Camerlengo  
Years ago

Imagine talking crap to someone for being a junior on a team with 4 paid players. I know for a fact if you put him on any other team in PL he's play quality minutes, but he's a loyal player. I have the privilege to play with this quality player and good friend. And if you wanna talk shit don't do behind a computer screen and anonymously you loser

Reply #756865 | Report this post

Whoever talking shit about cam, has an attachment disorder.

Reply #756868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team has starters, role players and bench players. They all put effort in and teams win and lose together. Weird thing to call out a young bench guy but I'm sure he won’t care as he looks at his championship trophy.

As for Zac claim that Cam would play minutes anywhere else, that also isn’t true but that doesn’t take away from the fact that he, and all the young bench guys at Forestville, deserve to be a part of the victory.

Reply #756870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you shitpost about the premier league? Surely there's a void you can scream into somewhere? More productive...

Reply #756874 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Benchies are there for a reason. Stop pot shotting . All benchies want minutes but only few win championships. Team only as good as the bench. Eagles have a great bench. Winners.

Reply #756878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well their reserves team finished 3rd so they can't be to terrible can they

Reply #756890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754