Isaac
Years ago

Bolden withdraws from Boomers team

Basketball Australia wishes to advise Jonah Bolden has informed Australian Head Coach Andrej Lemanis his intent to return to Philadelphia due to personal reasons.

As such he has withdrawn from the Australian Boomers team.

Andrej Lemanis said he supported Bolden's decision.

"My first thought is always with the player in these situations - having to withdraw from the national team is tough for anyone," he said.

“From a team perspective, the timing is sub-optimal, but again, we are very fortunate to have the depth of talent we have in this country available to take up this opportunity. Whilst it can feel like we need to make a quick decision, the most important thing is to bring in the player that best compliments the other skill sets we have on the team.

“The Canada series has allowed us to understand a little more about who we are as a team and we need to consider all available players to ensure we add the appropriate set of skills that match the needs of the team.”

The Australian coaching panel will discuss and confirm a replacement player for the FIBA World Cup and this week’s Australia v USA Basketball games.

Topic #45740 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I better be able to get a refund. Blatant false advertising.

Reply #756653 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

To be honest, I dont blame, playing with crappy nbl players with no realistic chance of winning a medal, getting less minutes than kay etc, under thesecircumstances I would also quit.

Reply #756654 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

To be honest, I dont blame him, playing with crappy nbl players with no realistic chance of winning a medal, getting less minutes than kay etc, under thesecircumstances I would also quit.

Reply #756655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How do you promote a team when you don't know who will be in the team?

Reply #756656 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

wtf

Reply #756658 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Apart from the last qtr of Game 2 Bolden looked crap.

Reply #756659 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

What is the story here? This is very bizarre indeed.

Reply #756660 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Was looking forward to seeing how he would go at World cup.
Has to open the door for Motum.

Not sure what Dave is smoking but I'm sure it has nothing to do with Kay.

Reply #756662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is defenitly more too this!!

Reply #756663 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Not sure his style of play suits the international game, his skill set is fine....style of play not so. Maybe IQ issues??

Reply #756664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's clearly something personal going on, he's going back to the US. No conspiracy here.

Reply #756665 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

Motum or Adel should come in - surprised both weren't picked initially. We’ll miss Bolden at WC.

Reply #756666 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I think the pressure of the NBA is too big a lure, missing trainings and workouts, getting behind, and then trying to catch in a months time. It's preseason time in the NBA. Imagine what would happen to an AFL player who skipped preseason to go off and play in what they consider a meaningless competition. Thats why the AFL International rules series fell over, why there is no AFL state of origin, the clubs wouldn't let their players play. The NBA is a much bigger business with a lot more money and power and teams can just trade players away. You have to be there putting in the hard yards trying to earn a spot.

Reply #756667 | Report this post

Lorenzo  
Years ago

I think he probably thought he would be the starting 4 and it looks like he was going to be 3rd string and limited minutes.
Guess he figured he may as well go back to Philly and get ready for season.
D`AARON Fox just made the same call with USA.

Reply #756668 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

What happens when they ask Motum and Adel and they both turn it down? Who's next? Creek moves to a 4 and Lemanis brings Cadee in?

Reply #756669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many conspiracy theorist, sometimes these things happen.

Reply #756671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Whilst it can feel like we need to make a quick decision, the most important thing is to bring in the player that best compliments the other skill sets we have on the team.

"The Canada series has allowed us to understand a little more about who we are as a team and we need to consider all available players to ensure we add the appropriate set of skills that match the needs of the team."

Lemanis preparing us for the inevitable Jason Cadee inclusion. I say that only half-jokingly.

Reply #756672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a blow . Did anyone see the interview bolden did at half time? He was a bit apprehensive

Reply #756674 | Report this post

Reasonably Smart  
Years ago

Fox and Bagley withdrew, I get it though. The young player's careers are controlled by the teams that pay them so much. This offseason during the 2nd 3rd and 4th years are what make or break stars. I do not get Mitchell playing, he is going to have a big workload during the season and by the playoffs come he may be done. Maybe he has being told theres a spot for 2020

Reply #756676 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Donovan Mitchell will get rested well throughout the season. He is a Jazz loyalist. This is his opportunity on the world stage, and his coach would see the benefit and confidence it will bring him.

Brett Brown is rightly asking his players to come back. They have a competitive squad and remember when Bogut was young, fit and healthy and wouldn't come play for Brett Browns team.

Reply #756678 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I suspect that Lorenzo is on the money. Bolden thought he'd be more prominent. Bolden is athletic, long and talented, but he makes dumb mistakes. He did some dome fouls, but then did a bunch of things to help us win... that is pretty much 3rd string worthy material there.

I know a guy (sorry, can’t be more specific) who was just n the periphery of the Boomers... think Smyth era. Just after that time Luke Schencher was on the Chicago Bulls roster & turned the Boomers down. My friend said that what wasn’t reported was that Schencher has gone to camp & realised that he wasn’t that good & would be at the end of the Boomers bench. We all thought he was because he was an NBA player, but a few years later he was back in Aus & had a serviceable NBL career

Reply #756679 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Had Bolden made this call before the training camp and warm-up games, it would be much easier to believe. After being used as a 3rd string 5-man in this Canada series, which would make him unlikely to get many minutes in the World Cup, I think that's the more believable explanation.

Reply #756680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he just realised Lemanis is a spud and doesn't want to get embarrassed, no other conspiracy theories needed.

Reply #756682 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Although if there turns out to be a family sickness or something, I will feel like such a dick.

Reply #756683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonah Simmons.

Reply #756684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realised ol' AL would be playing Kay ahead of him. AL clearly unable to engage and inspire players for the cause

Reply #756685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not make excuses for un Australian behaviour. It is likely just a dummy spit.

Reply #756686 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Bolden should be a starter and plays major minutes for the boomers. Instead Lemanis gave him less minutes than the useless nbl guys. Dont blame him for wanting to quit. It is all lemanis' fault.

Reply #756688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't blame the guy who quit for quitting, it was someone else's fault. Well that makes sense. ???

Reply #756689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't see either game, but in the first Bolden had 2 & 2 in 11 minutes. Did his play warrant him starting for a team that has Bogut, Baynes and Landale already?

In the second game, Landale and Baynes started. Both +14. Bolden -9. Who should he be starting in front of at this point?

Reply #756691 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I've resigned myself to whatever happens in this world cup. As long as we qualify for the Olympics whatever happens, happens. We certainly aren't showing the signs of a team with a realistic medal shot this year. If it happens, fantastic. But my expectations for Boomers don't exist for the Cup now. Play hard. Do what you can.

Reply #756692 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'm just here to start referring to Lemanis as Lemonass.

Kthxbai.

Reply #756693 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

FFS this World Championships campaign is an absolute joke. We are already missing so much talent. I hope the truth behind this decision becomes public, because Bolden is really hurting the team with this move and I don't know if he is to blame or not. Bogut and Baynes look slow and not match ready. If neither of those guys can help and recover effectively on the pick n roll then we will desperately need guys like Bolden. Motum is the obvious replacement, but he is not as good as Bolden at rebounding or defending around the rim. He might not even be in Oz after being overlooked for the team. Could be worth bringing Daniel Johnson into the team? At least he is fit, agile, can shoot the ball and rebounds better than Motum.

Reply #756694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is DJ fit? This assertion is laughable. He just got married 4 weeks ago and is maybe a week into pre-season. What a one eyed promotion.

Reply #756695 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Given the switching defenses that many other teams appear to be employing, versatile players like Bolden and Cooks would've been very valuable, assuming the Boomers were also going to defend like that. Against teams that will shoot a lot of 3s and play switching defenses, which is basically the way NBA teams are moving towards, we might struggle with the perimeter defense of Bogut and Baynes.

Lemanis playing Bolden predominantly at the 5 seems odd given that all our 4s are unproven at international level. Perhaps Bolden didn't impress as much at the camp compared with Landale and Kay, but that's just one camp and Bolden is completely new to the system, so more minutes to work him into the team seems reasonable.

If it's as I expect, with Bolden unsatisfied with his playing time, Lemanis seems to be at fault here for Bolden's withdrawal. I get that Lemanis wants to settle on a lineup, and might be preferring Kay at the 4, but consider that in Rio we ran with 3 4-men in the rotation, plus starting Baynes at the 4, until Bairstow's injury mid-tournament.

Reply #756696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they use this as a chance to make some additional changes such as Sobey out and Josh Green in. Provide some experience for someone who wants to play for the Boomers. Ryan B are you available now?

Reply #756697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a dummy spit by a person with a very fragile mind. Hated being to backup to non nba players and likely won’t play with lemanis if he is the coach next year.

Reply #756699 | Report this post

According to Tom Hertz Motum has already returned to Spain so I imagine bringing him back might be complicated, so that leaves Deng as well as the other nbl guys. If Deng was struggling to pick up the system its hard to see him being the guy to replace Bolden, but who knows maybe the coaching staff realized after sat Night the importance of having someone who doesn't fit within the system. We’ll see I guess.

From the exum injury through players pulling out, the Simmons drama to losing 2 players from the selected 12 pretty much nothing has gone right for us. Just hoping at this point to qualify for next year and rebooting then. The one thing we can be thankful for that Fiba is as corrupt as their football counterparts. There is no way with only 2 competing nations that Oceania should get an automatic entrant into the olympics especially as both are now qualifying to the World Cup through Asia. Just had to make sure China get through. Oh well works for us.

Reply #756702 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Is embarassed to come off bench against USA!
Simple

Reply #756705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching the other friendlies, it's nice to see the passion and desire and what it means to play for your counttry.

What has happened to the culture in Australia where you can identify a few knobs in almost every aus N.T these days.
If you don’t really want to play, don’t keep bringing them back.

Nz too look stupid, constantly asking adams when he has never showed up or given a crap.

Reply #756706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a black American thing? No loyalty to the country only themselves? Perhaps it's cultural?

Bolden clearly thought he’d be close to the main man which couldn’t be further from the truth as he is like a baby deer out there and style of play doesn’t suit FIBA ball at all.

Reply #756708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I've said it once I’ve said it a thousand times

These team needs a high profile proven international coach

Nothing against AL he’s just not got the runs in the board, has had his chances

Pity it is now too late and we’ll likely blow our Tokyo qualification chances

Reply #756711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is it a black American thing? No loyalty to the country only themselves? Perhaps it's cultural"

What the fuck?

Reply #756713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are withdrawing from Team USA and Pop probably has the biggest coaching profile on earth. Having a 'world class coach' will have zero impact on players opting in/out.

Reply #756718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone seen what simmons is actually doing in the off-season, he's playing pickup ball every otherday.

Reply #756720 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Really hoping this is a legitimate personal reason, otherwise it doesn't bode well for the future.

4 of the Boomers 5 young stars not playing- Simmons, Exum, Maker, Bolden. Only Landale remains.

I guess we've still got a much better ratio of our NBA guys turning up than Canada's 1 out of 17....

Reply #756721 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Isn't there a precedence for Bolden acting like this? From what I recall, I read that Bolden quit UCLA because he didn't like that the coach wasn't playing him enough and he was being played out of his position (Bolden thought of himself as a 3)?

Perhaps he can tolerate the way Brown plays him because it's the NBA.

Reply #756725 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

A lot of jumping to conclusions.

As for replacement i you'd have to assume it's gotta be someone who attended the camp (Adel, Motum if available).

Cooks and Bolden out leaves us without an athletic, versatile big. I suppose Creek can slide up to the 4 in that role.

Reply #756726 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think its a simple case of him realising that the benefit of playing for the Boomers in what was going to be a limited role (more so than first intended) did not outweigh the benefit (financial, playing time etc) of spending the back-end of the summer with the 76ers.

Putting the 'representing your country' aspect/issue aside (if you did want to make that an issue), its perfectly logical and reasonable.

I'm more understanding of these types of withdrawals, more so than the Simmons type of withdrawals. Simmons is an established star, he can cake-walk back to the 76ers at any time (so he has far fewer excuses to pull out), but these guys like Bolden are trying to earn their contracts and their minutes at NBA level.

I didn't actually realise the extent of the time commitment with the WC - take into account all the camps, the warm-up games and the tournament proper and its 6 weeks, or more probably, of time spent away from your team. 42 days away at least, assuming 2 a days and you're missing on some 90-odd training's and workouts under NBA watch/guidance, maybe more.

Reply #756727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need a tall long athletic defefender that can play 3,4,5,. Names please. Who else did Australia use though qualifying.

Reply #756728 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

No one say Moller...

Reply #756731 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Australia's leading rebounder (per minute of court time) in the Asia qualifiers is still available: the one and only Craig Moller!

Reply #756733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In camp
Motum 6'10 PF
Adel 6’7 SF

Nbl Vets
Barlow 6’9 PF

Youth we could try
Noi 6’7 CF
Magnay 6’10 PF/C

I’d take Barlow easy

Reply #756735 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I've been pushing the Barlow barrow pretty hard for a while. Guard all positions, knock down the three at an elite clip, good team guy for 12th man, and probably deserves it at this point of his career.

Reply #756737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I take Moller in heart beat, kid can play, just because you don't like is not the problem.

Bolden was interviewed a few days ago saying how he grew wanting to play for the boomers and loved being here, so maybe he just has a family problem and had to go back home.

Reply #756740 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Are you trolling me?

If he was good enough to make a national team, he'd be playing more than 11mpg, shooting 42% in an average National League.

Reply #756743 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You would think Motum would be the replacement if available

Has some weaknesses, but two important factors are in his favour: Boomers experience....and of course, talent.

Reply #756744 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Does it have to be a player from final 18 man squad?

The timing of Bolden's decision is more disappointing than the withdrawal itself so I would take it at face value.

Imagine the outrage if Barlow is added considering all the other NBL players in the team.

Reply #756745 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Also agree no Moller please.

Reply #756746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty simple. If it's not motum its should be Barlow(vet) or Humphries(youth)

Reply #756749 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Any reason not to consider Harry Froling?

Johnson?

Reply #756751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller has played for the national team already, knows the system, athletic, long and plays solid defence. Playing for Melbourne on a stacked roster doesn't help your chances of getting time. Anyway he’s probably no chance but as good fit he’d be my choice.

Reply #756752 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Haha. Playing on a Melbourne stacked roster.... of players that are also not good enough to make the National Team.

Sent from my above bridge wifi.

Reply #756753 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If it is anybody other than Adel or Motum it will be a joke.

Reply #756755 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come on guys knock it off with this Craig Moller shit all the time. He's a benchie in the NBL for a very good reason. It's one thing to be a fan of his SEABL team or whatever but he's got absolutely no business being anywhere near a Boomers WC team.

Reply #756756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why, Adel is a sf and can play no other position.

Motum the only pf replacement but if he wishes not to return from Spain, there should be no issue picking a guy from the nbl or abroad.

The best pf is clearly Barlow atm. Terrific season in nbl1 and has been fantastic in nbl preseason so far.

Reply #756757 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What about Aussie Mango?

Reply #756758 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Adel may be a SF in the NBA, but there's no reason he can't play the 4 internationally.

Suggesting that someone's form at NBL1 level means they should be considered for a national team spot is ridiculous.

Reply #756760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickett, Barlow, Moller, Blanchfield all would be capable. To many negative supporters.

Reply #756761 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Kickett? FFS

Reply #756765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert should never be allowed to represent the country ever again.

Reply #756767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched Game 2 again specifically looking at Bolden. Too many times he was clearly open, ready to receive the ball and 2 players in particular looked past him and went for a worse option. Seems there are some issues and thats inexcusable at this level with his talent and recent GLeague showing. Then there is Creek who delivers good hard D forcing passes when others would have folded and opened the door to the basket. Then he gets a steel and makes the break and scores, then immediately taken off. Yet others given a free run especially scorers who have poor defensive ability. I'm still not sold on the coaching group.

Reply #756771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the coaching group watches more than you did. Cherry-picking things Creek did well to pretend he played better is ridiculous.

Reply #756772 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

With Creek putting aside the mistake of Lemanis in leaving him out of the initial team with him for better or worse you know exactly what you're going to get from him and these warm up games especially the early ones would be more about looking at what some of the other guys can or can't do like Bolden.

I'm almost certain we'll see more from Creek at the actual WC.

Reply #756773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it this replacement ain’t gonna get minutes so make it a development role for mine.

Reply #756777 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This position needs to be filled by thinking about an insurance option. If Baynes or Bogut go down, we need either Landale to swing to the 5 spot and another 4, or we need someone who can come in as a backup 5. A small-ball 5 might be acceptable.

I don't see Adel filling that. Motum seems most sensible, but if he is unavailable, we need someone able to fit that role.

I see the only guys with experience in the system that can fill a 4/5 role are:

- Motum
- Johnson
- Jawai
- Barlow

Johnson impressed against minnows. He can stretch the floor and offers an offensive presence, but his D will be well below par at international level. It says something that Lemanis didn't use him much in the qualifiers. Who knows if Jawai is anything close to match fit. Barlow has experience, shoots at an excellent clip from range, and is a solid defender.

Reply #756778 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I forgot several other options:
- Brandt
- Hodgson
- Kickert
- Humphries
- Kickert

So many of these options would result in an avalanche of criticism. Selecting Hodgson would cause Twitter to explode. Brandt and Humphries would be the best of this lot.

Reply #756779 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Seriously people...lay off the juice.

Should either be Motum (but he is back in Spain right now) or Adel.

Reply #756781 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I forgot several other options:
- Brandt
- Hodgson
- Kickert
- Humphries
- Kickert"

Is this conceding that Kickert is so poor of a choice you managed to forget him again after writing his name down the first time?

Reply #756783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lay off the Creek juice.. He is not part of our best team, plain and simple. He is there now, yes, but don't get disillusioned that all of a sudden he is a key piece. He will play a role and contribute as required.

Reply #756784 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Years ago

I reckon Bolden is about to be traded from Philly and his management have told him to pull out so he doesnt get injured and void the trade. Just my thoughts.

Reply #756785 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Good call Elphin.... wouldn't surprise me. Something seems a little odd about it all. Though if you were being traded and on guaranteed money anyway (contracted til 2022), would it make a difference? I suppose if you were traded you might want to move house and all that before training camp started.

Reply #756786 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon #771, thoughtful insight...

Reply #756787 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Years ago

Greggo, Doesn't make a difference to Jonah but it would make a difference to the team he was getting traded to. As you said guaranteed money and a roster spot on a guy who has blown out his knee is not the sort of player you want to trade into your team (especially with his skillset, its not like he is KD). So the Sixers and whoever they might be engaging with would be advising Jonah's management to get him to withdraw for personal reasons, the trade goes through and everyone is happy.

Reply #756790 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

I would like to see Coneradd take the last spot

Reply #756791 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Is this conceding that Kickert is so poor of a choice you managed to forget him again after writing his name down the first time?"

Haha, yeah, just going through the list from the Asia qualifiers and accidentally wrote twice.

I disagree that Adel is the obvious choice *for this campaign* if Motum is unavailable. If Baynes or Bogut go down, Adel won't help with that. If we are looking into the future, then sure, send Adel or a promising young guy like Green.

Reply #756801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time an Aussie athlete pulled out last minute for personal reasons it was because they failed a drug test

Reply #756802 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Interesting call, Elphin, seems like a realistic possibility given how trade-happy Philly has been over the last year.

Reply #756804 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Watching the 2 Canada games (being at game 1), I honestly did not see any Boomer looking to find Bolden for an open shot or easy bucket, he seemed to only get the ball when he was outside the arc and they were swinging the ball. Being there for game 1, it legitimately felt like Bolden was on a team by himself, no pats on the back or any uplifting chit chat towards him at all. That's what I noticed and they were my thoughts before he had pulled out of the WC. Was very interesting to see the non-interaction. What does it mean? I don't know, it just didn't look "normal".

Reply #756807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In football they say 'he's lost the dressing room' ...

Reply #756809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it's not too late for it to be regained

Reply #756810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a better time to play the WC, seems all sides are losing players. Maybe be a week or three after nba season finishes instead of preseason.

Reply #756814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First time any coach has had to deal with such a mix of NBL/European and NBA players. I don't envy Lemanis with that amount of egos at all. You just know the NBA guys have their agents pissing in their ears non stop. If their players don't look good at the international level they start to shit themselves as it's their meal ticket. Easier to pull the player out than risk a bad showing and what they see as potential earnings being less. None of those agent douche bags give a rats arse about Australia.

Reply #756815 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Senator11 and to add to that when he was interviewed during a half time (can't recall whether it was Game 1 or 2) he was forcibly replying in a sort of mumble like he really didn't want to be there.

Reply #756816 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

why do people insist the replacement has to come from the nbl ? No wonder the boomers sucks, there are too many slow, unathletic nbl players.

TBH adel who should have been picked in the original 12 man squad and he should be included now that there is spot. The nbl guys just aren't good enough.

Reply #756817 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

FIBA need to move the WC back to the two year period in between Olympics this has been a complete disaster moving the WC to the year before the Olympics when it should've been last year.

I heard they've locked in 2023 for the next WC though but after that they need to scrap this silly idea to get away from being in the same year as the soccer WC.

Reply #756819 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Makur, it should be Motum but it's Lemanis so who knows what he'll do.

Reply #756820 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

He did not want to be there because lemanis treated him as a bench warmer. He should have played substantial minutes for the team. Instead he was well behind the pecking order. Even the crappy nbl players lodged more minutes than bolden, what a joke. Lemanis should just resign.

Reply #756822 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bolden didn't deserve minutes IMO. Just because he's on an NBA roster because one day he might turn into something doesn't mean jack. I mean Isaac Humphries played in the NBA last season, it's not much of a barometer of anything other than an NBA scout or two from a team fell in love with you.

Across the two games Bolden's looked out of his depth and probably fortunate to even be on the team in the first place. Despite his flaws at least Kay looks like he cares as others have said Bolden has looked like he was there against his will.

Reply #756824 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Really this spot should be about who the team like as they are going to be towel waving and thats it.

We'd expect Lemanis to tighten his rotation so we aren't subjected to Sobey/Creek/Kay/Gliddon as this isn't under 12's and everyone gets a run we need our core 7 playing legit minutes together.

Reply #756825 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Don't worry Makur, Adel will be in the NBL soon too, and that will really confuse you.

Not even a knock on Adel or the NBL, just on your sentiment

Reply #756826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet people have been using Creek's NBA journey as a reason that he should have been a lock to make the original team.

Reply #756827 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

that is total garbage zodiac. Did you even watch the game ? Bolden was best aussie player along with Landale in game 2. Bolden was the one who changed the dynamic of the game with his contribution in limited court time given by lemonass :
12 pts, 5 rbds, 2 ass

Reply #756828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And don't forget Makur Maker, the worst +/- in the team.

Reply #756830 | Report this post

Not Ben Simmons  
Years ago

I just think it's crazy that Jock Landale don't withdraw from the team for personal reasons, Nick Kay don't withdraw from the team for personal reasons, but Jonah Bolden withdraw from the team for personal reasons. Dayuuum. Wow. We got a long way to go.

I been eating Frosty's cereal since middle school (what? There's no middle school in Australia? Cmon man, why you sweatin' me) and I ain't ever seen something so crazy.

Nobody likes to feel this way.

Reply #756831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Elphinkiller's theory is right, but he got the news before the games against Canada and had already notified team and coach that he'd see them through and then need to fly out? Or that he was playing with that in mind, having decided to tell the coach/team after the second game?

I'm more understanding of these types of withdrawals, more so than the Simmons type of withdrawals. Simmons is an established star, he can cake-walk back to the 76ers at any time (so he has far fewer excuses to pull out), but these guys like Bolden are trying to earn their contracts and their minutes at NBA level.
I can fully understand any personal decision, even for money. They're setting up their future and that of their family/children, etc. I don't really go in for the "ultimate honour of representing your country!" ra-ra. I know it's a huge deal for some people, but it's safe judging from the couch when it's not your income on the line.

Is the number of withdrawn players almost unprecedented? Players I didn't think would be anywhere near Team USA are pulling out presumably to manage load through pre-season, especially if they play for a team likely to see post-season action.

Reply #756839 | Report this post

Baller 20  
Years ago

No fully functioning adult would buy into the "ultimate honour of representing your country" Isaac! LOL. Pride doesn't pay the bills.

But it's a bit different "committing" and making yourself available to seemingly/speculatively "testing the waters" re: opportunities/playing time/team makeup, THEN pulling out (if that's the case).

In any case, he, or any other player doesn't really owe anyone (besides MAYBE his teammates, and even then that's a big maybe) a decent explanation.

Reply #756841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canadian team has lost nba players than Australia, Canada still got lot euro guys in that are very good though. As stated above Bolden plus, minus was the worst of any Australian player and looked ok but not outstanding, his agent won't want him jeopardising his career for a WC. The other reasons is he could have a family problem or is getting traded. It’s all guess work.

Reply #756842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lost the dressing room"

Lost the locker room dude. This ain't no pantomime lol.

Reply #756843 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

Anon, Did you watch the game ? or do you just judge him by his +/- ?
+/- is overrated and should never be used to judge a player's performance.

Olgun in his foxsport columm wrote that Bolden was outstanding in his 2nd match against canada
and he was spot on. Interesting that you said he had a bad game, maybe you watched a different match, LoL. Bolden made a huge impact in the last game.

" Jonah Bolden has the highest ceiling of any player on the Australian Boomers' World Cup team - that much is obvious - so it makes sense that they’re at their best when he’s afforded the opportunity to get into his rhythm.

We saw it on Saturday evening, with the 6’11 forward using his length, athleticism, and versatility to put his stamp on the Boomers’ win over Canada.

Whether it’s pushing the ball off defensive rebounds, or making decisions from the top of the key in pick-and-fade situations, Bolden made his impact felt, and it’s come from a slow process of allowing his game to mesh with Andrej Lemanis’ systems on both ends of the floor."

Reply #756845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't no about the other anon but I watched both games and while I agree the plus/ minus isn’t the ultimate test it’s an indication on team performance while you are on the floor, -9 in a win is not a good sign.

MM your posting clearly shows you think the nbl is rubbish and the nba is the only thing that you should judge a basketball player on I’ll assure you not every nba player is fantastic. Creek imo is better than some nba players and didn’t get a look in.

There is also a lot top quality players in the euro competitions and the nbl.

Reply #756848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did watch Makur and thought he played well, especially in offence but as a coach of a different sport, I am always keen to see players fitting into the team defensive plan and this is where I feel you get some value from the +/- stats. In saying that, I wish he stayed and worked hard enough within the scheme to demand more minutes.

Reply #756849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Using +/- is misleading when talking about one game but not providing any other context.

Reply #756852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's almost Australia’s starting lineup that has come out:

Simmons
Exum
Bolden
Maker

Disappointing

This whole World Cup is a farce.

Reply #756861 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I could be wrong, but I thought the -9 deficit of Bolden's +/- occurred all in the first half, mostly from a Canada run. I also wouldn't take too much from the +/- from these games because Lemanis has been experimenting with so many lineups.

From the eye test, Bolden struggled a bit at times, but he also stood out in some impressive ways. That might be the result of a first run with the national team with players he hasn't played with before. He also didn't have much court time and (almost?) none at his more natural position. Just 11 minutes in game 1, then 17 minutes in game 2 (combined for 14pts, 7rebs and 2ast). Not much of a chance to get in the flow with a new set of teammates. What does he know about the players he was playing with? The core NBAers have played together for years and the NBLers have played together numerous times in qualifying. This was Bolden's first exposure to the national team. Might he have felt like an outsider compared with the established camaraderie of the rest of the team?

Reply #756862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please name some established players Creek is better than.

Reply #756863 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"It's almost Australia's starting lineup that has come out:

Simmons
Exum
Bolden
Maker"

Where is Broekhoff? Racist!!11 ;-)

Reply #756864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better rest the nba guys v the US. Play the nblers alone. The comedy value would make the tix worth it again.

Reply #756866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No fully functioning adult would buy into the "ultimate honour of representing your country" Isaac! LOL.
You haven't been reading Boomers threads on this forum then. Or maybe some people who'd consider themselves fully functioning adults, aren't quite?

Reply #756876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expectation:

Simmons
Broekhoff
Exum
Maker
Bolden

Vs

Curry
Harden
Lillard
Lebron
AD

Reality:

Kay
Sobey
Gliddon
Cadee
Motum

Harris
Brown
White
Middleton
Lopez

Reply #756879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A little from column A, a little from column B ;)

Re: Bolden, curious, if it's a valid personal issue, could they not have alluded to what it is (without obviously divulging too much) to eliminate what’s happening now, ie everyone speculating.

Reply #756880 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The fact BA, Lemanis & co aren't out there putting all this speculation to bed likely suggests it wasn't really personal reasons.

Reply #756884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze suggesting that he didn't want to hurt his "brand" playing minimal minutes.
Could be some truth in this.

Reply #756892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't overestimate the value of a complimentary team mate.

Reply #756950 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Played terribly in game 1 . Looked pretty good in game 2.

Reply #756954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gaze suggesting that he didn't want to hurt his "brand" playing minimal minutes.
Could be some truth in this."

I'm not sure that "prima donna" is such a great brand either but hey if that's the one he wants it's a free world

Reply #756956 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure that "prima donna" is such a great brand either but hey if that's the one he wants it's a free world
I don't think he cares what the riff-raff think. He's concerned about his opportunities with NBA teams and that's about it.

Reply #757024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/karlbeston/status/1163701032209145856

Reply #757105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the boomers make the Olympics they need a new coach as the current one has no idea. Brett Brown would be my choice due to his knowledge how to use Simmons and other NBA players. I can't blame bolden on this one. Why be the 10th guy in the rotation when he could be in Philly doing a preseason instead.

Reply #757162 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac

Just noticed you've shared your 2 cents worth a few times in this thread. Most threads you don’t contribute yourself.

Is there a reason for this? Not a criticism, just an observation.

BTW my share is only about 0.0002 cents worth, as I don’t claim to know much about the Boomer’s depth beyond the obvious first 7 or so.

Reply #757182 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Bolden isn't very good and clear Landales play is far better than his so can;t see how he'd expect to play ahead of him.

Just because Bolden is on an NBA roster doesn't mean his game suits the FIBA style and he is competing with Nick Kay for that back-up 4 man role but lets be frank niether was really gonna play much.

Bolden is a bad team mate and won't expect him to be welcomed back into the boomer fold again.

Reply #757191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac is the gestapo!!! He is always correct!

Reply #757194 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

God help us if the Boomers coach needs to be based on a popularity contest amongst the players.

I'd be mightily pissed off if anyone makes themselves unavailable for the Olympics because of the coach (or because they’re more worried about their NBA career, or what their agent has got them believing).

Reply #757196 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

This had nothing to do with the coach...Bolden thinks he is a star when at this point he is "potentially" a very good player but in terms of production on the court he is yet to produce.

Reply #757200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I stopped reading at "Bolden isn't very good"

Reply #757205 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Are you saying Bolden is better than Landale?

Pretty clear Landale has shown he is a better FIBA basketballer than Bolden.

Reply #757207 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

They played two very limited warm up games. I wouldn't be reading everything into it.

But at the same time Bolden shouldn't have either. If you think you are the best player there, play like it. As coaches always say, give them no reason not to play you. If you perform you'll get the minutes. There's no conspiracy. Should've backed himself and kept performing in these warm up games.

Reply #757209 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

If he was upset about Kay getting minutes ahead of him in practice games against canada then he's got serious issues.

Come the WC Kay won't see the floor unless its a 20pts game either way and most likely Bolden would have only seen spot minutes at best and perhaps he got told that so hence he wasn't happy.

Talk to anyone associated with the team and Bolden = Bad Team Mate

Reply #757210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone able to share the key points from this article:

https://twitter.com/mattlogue7/status/1164300931787132933?s=19

Reply #757296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun:

On Jonah Bolden:

- Lemanis used him as a 5, so he was behind Bogut and Baynes.
- I'm told his issue wasn’t with Landale playing over him; it’s that he was effectively the 5th big.
- Context: he’s in a contract year. He’s just gained a month of developing with the 76ers staff.

Isaac

Just noticed you've shared your 2 cents worth a few times in this thread. Most threads you don’t contribute yourself.
I've been overseas for three months and Bolden is one of the first issues of note since I got back.

In general, I can guess why he might not have got frontline minutes (still developing court smarts and D?), why Lemanis liked Barlow as the replacement (same things) but I also have little issue with Bolden making the difficult decision of focusing on his situation during a critical point of his career. And if he wasn't going to be a major piece of the rotation, it shouldn't be super-damaging for him to move out of the roster. Not ideal in preparations obviously, but this is a critical career point for him. Can't imagine he relished making the decision.

Reply #757332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality, who have you spoken to in the team that said Bolden is a bad team mate?

Reply #757335 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Olgun might want to check his sources this isn't a contract year for Bolden he still has 2 years left on the 3 year deal he signed with them.

Reply #757337 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

@Zodiac, year 3 and 4 of his contract are non-guaranteed. I believe this means they are team options.

Reply #757339 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I see both sides of this story. Jonah Bolden could've been a bit tougher and backed himself in, but it also could've been managed better. If throwing him some more minutes in warm up games, even giving him a start, meant he would be happier, it's not a huge sacrifice.

Reply #757340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to be a bit concerned at this stage that the coaching staff and/or senior group are unable to work with young talent. The senior players have probably earned some input into the make-up and strategy of the team, but I hope not to the extent of alienating those that don't totally fit in. There needs to be a balance between building a strong, cohesive culture and fostering/fitting together talent. Time will tell whether we’ve stuffed that up massively, I truly hope it works out.

Reply #757384 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree. IF it's ALL about fitting into the system, then we have a problem: no system is foolproof and flexible enough to cope with anything thrown at it.

I'd like to think (hope?) that Andre's system is flexible enough to take advantage of team harmony and unselfishness, with lots of assists, but also gives everyone the chance at some stage to show their skills in a iso situation.

Reply #757420 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If throwing him some more minutes in warm up games, even giving him a start, meant he would be happier, it's not a huge sacrifice.
Especially if it's at the expense of Kay in warm-up games.

Reply #757687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754